Joshua Tree/ Palm Desert area

Kennythetiger

Didn't get to spend much time there but Joshua Tree was better than I expected.  We went in November.  Just did little hikes because of the dry heat.  Even with it being November we were more dehydrated than we realised.  Started hiking and going around the park early morning and had each had four 20 oz bottles of water by noon.

• Like 1

There was an episode of No reservations when Bourdain spent some time out in the desert.  I remember a really kick ass dive type breakfast place.  I'll see if I can dig that episode up.

/edit:  Episode recap mentions Joshua Tree Kitchen, Pappy and Harriet’s, Lord Fletcher’s.  FWIW

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Pappy & Harriet's/Pioneertown (north of the park) is interesting.  The food is okay.  Great atmosphere.  They're doing outside concerts there now.  Los Lobos are playing tonight, for example.  Check their calendar to see if someone is playing when you're in the area.

INside the park, drive to Keys View.  That's a great view.  Cholla Cactus Garden is pretty cool.  If you've got a 4x4 vehicle, there's plenty of offroad stuff, including Berdoo Canyon and the Geology Road Tour.   The hike to Barker Dam is easy.

Just watch the temps and take more water than you think you'll need.  The wife and I just got back from Anza Borrego, and it was mid 90's on Monday, which made the hiking much more difficult.  Hopefully things won't be that hot for you in JTNP.     

• Like 1