2021 MLS thread

Jive Turkey

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 7:24 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

Ah. After re watch. It was his heel. Not cheeks. Still funny 

It would have gone to the right of the pole if it hadn't hit his heel.

So if not for the offsides guy, it would have been a goal kick. (But that's not very funny, so...)

Columbus Crew bails on attempted rebrand to Columbus SC after a week following fan outrage

58871a60-b783-11eb-bfdb-333dcfdaae87

Columbus SC lasted just one week before the organization bailed on the rebrand and brought the "Crew" name back. 

The Columbus Crew’s attempted rebrand did not go over well.

In fact, it lasted just one week.

The reigning Major League Soccer champions, after announcing plans last week to rebrand to Columbus SC, bailed on most of those plans on Monday night. The team said in a statement that it was returning to the Columbus Crew name.

“The importance of keeping the Crew as the club’s primary identifier was clear,” the team said in a statement, in part. “The decision that came from the discussion was that Columbus Crew will remain the team’s official name moving forward.”

Columbus Crew’s failed rebrand

The organization announced last week that it was dropping the word “Crew” from the official team name, and replacing it with SC. The rebrand was meant to come ahead of their new stadium that is set to open later this summer.

"The current direction of our Club and our city provides a natural time to examine our identity going forward," president and general manager Tim Bezbatchenko said in a statement last week, via ESPN. "Our identity and brand evolution includes a shift in our mindset to be consistent contenders on the pitch, but also includes evolving our look both in the community and across competitions ... We are proud to represent Columbus on the global stage of soccer and aspire to help elevate the city and honor it for what it has done for the Club. We are Columbus Soccer Club, we are The Crew, and we will always be the Black & Gold."

Fans, however, did not take that news well at all. The club’s independent fan group, the Nordecke, was livid. Many called for boycotts of games, purchasing new gear and even helped launch a small protest outside of the stadium, per The Columbus Dispatch.

As a founding member of Major League Soccer, the name is clearly a key part of the organization for fans. And after the #SaveTheCrew movement in 2017, when ownership attempted to relocate the team to Austin, Texas, fans became more attached. Nordecke leadership even warned the club that a name change would be “catastrophic” ahead of time, per the report.

So, in a quick but wild turnaround, the team completely reversed its plans and will stick with the Columbus Crew name after all. It will keep most of the new logo intact, however, but will include a “96” in the bottom, a reference to the year the club was founded.

“Tonight was 100% driven by the club and ownership’s desire to be the best partners they could to the fans and to the supporters, and to not just resolve this issue, but to build in a process going forward to avoid future ones,” Nordecke communications director Jeff Barger said, via The Dispatch.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/columbus-crew-bails-on-attempted-rebrand-to-columbus-sc-after-one-week-following-outrage-mls-032445332.html

Normally not one to post something that borderlines on spam, BUT this is relevant here.

I'll post this in the Austin FC thread too, but for those who like free and discounted stuff - Kellogg's has a deal for you:

Buy 5 Pringles or Cheez It products, get a $50 gift card for the MLS store.

Hey, you want an official team jersey? $50 off is an easy one then!

Full details here:

https://www.kelloggsfamilyrewards.com/en_US/promotions/mls-2021.html

From what I can tell, the item to buy is going to be the Pringles as they are the cheapest things on the list.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/24/2021 at 9:22 PM, Captain Ron said:

Normally not one to post something that borderlines on spam, BUT this is relevant here.

I'll post this in the Austin FC thread too, but for those who like free and discounted stuff - Kellogg's has a deal for you:

Buy 5 Pringles or Cheez It products, get a $50 gift card for the MLS store.

Hey, you want an official team jersey? $50 off is an easy one then!

Full details here:

https://www.kelloggsfamilyrewards.com/en_US/promotions/mls-2021.html

From what I can tell, the item to buy is going to be the Pringles as they are the cheapest things on the list.

One follow up on this, I wanted to make sure it worked before posting it - you are getting $50 Gift card codes for the MLS store - with different e-mail addresses, you can get more cards and they stack.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

17 year old Justin Che getting the start tonight for FC Dallas against LAFC. 

Dallas used to use their USL team to give youngsters experience, but now they are making their full squad their U-23 squad.

They haven't won in almost 8 weeks, they are starting 17 year-old defenders who of course get beat by Carlos Vela down the wing (in the 2nd half for the assist on the goal), Ricardo Pepi is STARTING and then comes off when the game is out of hand.

It's tie for Austin FC to be my MLS squad and FC Dallas to be my development academy.

(Dallas is actually 2 points behind the trees with a game in hand... and a shitty bowl of a stadium that mirrors the one in Columbus that they just shut down to move into a cheaper version of Austin's... but then again, Columbus doesn't need the air flow that stadiums in Texas do.)

FC Dallas in powder blue (celeste) kits. Bought a hat that color that will be arriving in a couple of days. Will be taking the Texas flag off the side asap. The badge on the front is enough red/white/blue.

In general, I like that light blue. Would like that blue with only the Austin FC trees embroidered into the front, can do without the sew-on patch.

3 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Great win tonight for FC Dallas, been in a hell of a slump. Pepi balling

Tanner Tessmann didn’t even get into the game. Maybe he’s basically gone and they don’t want him getting injured. 🤷‍♂️

I’m not on the Jesus Ferreira bandwagon, for FC D or for the USMNT. 

Justin Che got another 90 minutes tonight, but I believe at RB again, not at CD. I think that if you play RB for FC D and are under 22, then you are guaranteed going to Europe in less than 18 months. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Tanner Tessmann is heading to Italy. Ricardo Pepi may not be too far behind. 

Is Pepi cap-tied?

If not, I would bet that he ends up playing for México over the USA. His road to the #9 spot is much less congested. 

Just checked. He is NOT cap-tied. (And he isn’t on the Gold Cup roster.)

Pepi will be an El Tri #9.

He sucked ass as a USMNT midfielder and yet he was always a starter until he fortunately got hurt before the 2002 World Cup.

He sucked ass as a manager for NYRB and yet he got hired this off-season to be the manager of Toronto FC.

And now, just a few months into his first year at Toronto FC…

Toronto FC fires manager Chris Armas amid club's struggles in MLS

Toronto FC fired first-year head coach Chris Armas on Sunday, one day after the team lost its sixth straight match with a 7-1 drubbing at the hands of D.C. United.

Armas' assistant Javier Perez will oversee Toronto's next match when it plays the New England Revolution on Wednesday...

https://www.espn.com/soccer/toronto-fc/story/4426643/toronto-fc-fires-manager-chris-armas-amid-clubs-struggles-in-mls

Edited by Napoleon

6 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Can't wait until the new girl.bullshit wears off Austin FC . Can FC Dallas please get a W

Screenshot_20210707-211614_Twitter.jpg

You can't wait until the ONLY PRO SPORTS TEAM IN TOWN wears off on the soccer fans in the city of Austin, who can attend a pro soccer game INSIDE the city limits of Austin, Texas, in a stadium that has covering over all of the seats, and open corners that allow air to blow through, and was designed with the fan experience in mind and not just the lowest construction cost possible in the middle of a cow field near a tollway... wears off on people who have a great experience every time they go, win/lose/or draw...

Okay... yeah. That's something to wait for... I guess. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a focus on JUSTIN CHE being semi-responsible for the loan goal in Portland's  1-0 win over Dallas.

This could go in the USMNT thread, but since Justin is 5 to 8 years away from that, I will put it here.

Justin is supposedly a promising Central Defender, but he's been playing Right Back with FC Dallas since returning from his trial in Germany. Right Back... a bit of a Kid-N-Play tall haircut. This video starts up right after the highlights of Che possibly keeping a striker onside, but the Portland guy's kick was off.

PS- Paxton Pomykal looked really good in the "highlights" on MLS Soccer's 15+ minute recap of a 1-0 game... [shoot me] This is a good sign for FC Dallas, Paxton, and perhaps Paxton's possible future inclusion in WC qualifiers over the next 8 months.

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Atlanta United fired Heinze today after an 8 game winless streak and some sort of feud with Josef Martinez.

I always wondered how in the hell he was a starter for the clubs he played on from 2007-2010 and how he was an unquestioned starter during that time as well for Argentina’s national team. 

I then wondered what may him an attractive coaching hire other than the country of his hearth. 🤷‍♂️

I guess that Atlanta started wondering the same thing. 

• 2 weeks later...