IndyCar 2021

Prepuce of Doom

Silly Ed Jones. You don't belong there! 

We usually sit at Turn 5, but this year we opted to watch from Canada Corner (Turn 12) - nice change of pace. We had shade, a good view of the track, and a good view of the Jumbotron. At Turn 5, you either get shade or a view of the Jumbotron, but not both... 

We arrived a day late and left a day early due to weather, but had a nice time while we were there. The vintage cars might have been the coolest part though - I need to go through my photos to sort out the best ones, but I'll post them soon. 

20210620_132836.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 5:34 PM, utee94 said:

That's a weird and ugly car, but I respect it for being different.  I miss the old-school days of open wheels racing, when innovation flourished.

That was the best part of watching the Indy 500 as a kid. It was like watching HotWheels cars come to life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The wings are odd looking but that turbo I-4 in back looks seriously awesome. Hopefully it doesn't suck up any of the marbles that come off that rear tire. Also, the inboard brakes on those old open wheelers looks so funky.

Edited by faps

On 6/22/2021 at 5:34 PM, utee94 said:

That's a weird and ugly car, but I respect it for being different.  I miss the old-school days of open wheels racing, when innovation flourished.

This is what I miss about Indy from my younger days. You never knew until May what was going to show up at the track. Lotus running next to an Offy next to a turbine.

That is a seriously awesome car.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here are some of the other miscellaneous pictures I took from the vintage paddock. I have a bunch more of them on track, but they're of varying quality and there's a shitload of them, so it might be too much hassle to go through and upload them, but if people are interested, I can. 

The purple #56 was one of our favorites. If you look closely, you can see the brush strokes in the numerals...

20210619_111225.jpg

20210619_111235.jpg

20210619_111401.jpg

20210619_111442.jpg

20210619_111702.jpg

20210619_111725.jpg

20210619_111811.jpg

20210619_111844.jpg

20210619_112007.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

CSB alert. When I was a kid, there was a guy that lived next door that built dirt track cars. He had some family that would visit from time to time from California. One of those visiting kids, named Rick, was my age so we would play baseball, hide & seek, whatever was going on with the neighborhood kids. We were hardly close, the neighbor moved away and I never gave him another thought. Until Indy 1978 and my Mom informed me that Rick Mears, on the front row, was the kid I had played ball with. I became a fan and naturally became a Penske fan as well. Hence my Marlboro fascination.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

can't get a green lap in at mid ohio, first lap have two different comings together at  4-5 complex, then when it gets underway again dixon and power start fighting up at the keyhold and dixon spins power at 5, leaving power on the backside of a blind hill, where ed jones runs into him. 

Edited by elfenix

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...