Shelter in place message in NW Austin?

Brisketexan

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/news/2021/04/18/3-victims-reported-in-active-shooter-situation-in-northwest-austin

Cut-paste

The shooting took place at Great Hills Trail and Rain Creek Parkway, near the intersection of U.S 183 and Capital of Texas Highway.

The Austin-Travis County EMS reported three victims have died from gunshot wounds; the agency said it has not received reports of other victims.

During a 2:30 p.m. news briefing, acting Austin Police Department Chief Joseph Chacon identified the shooting suspect as 41-year-old Stephen Broderick. He was described as 5'7" tall and was wearing a grey hoodie, sunglasses and baseball cap. Chacon said during the briefing that there is some indication Broderick is former law enforcement but he could not confirm that. 

However, Broderick matches the description of a former Travis County Sheriff's Office detective who, court records show, in 2020 was taken into custody and charged with sexually assaulting a child. 

Chacon described Broderick as armed and dangerous and said officers hope to have him in custody shortly. There was some concern among police about Broderick taking a hostage.

Edited by boilerhorn

This would barely make the news in my neighborhood. I always like to guess how close to my house it is before I click on any link about shootings in north Austin. 
We had someone gunned down between the McDonald's and HEB at Rundberg a few nights ago. 
Something is off if the police chopper isn't circling overhead. 

I think it made the news the way it did because of the proximity to a major shopping center. Easily mistaken for an active shooter there as opposed to a shooting at an apartment. Not that NW Hills sees a ton of murders, but it wouldn’t have been national news without the initial confusion.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think it made the news the way it did because of the proximity to a major shopping center. Easily mistaken for an active shooter there as opposed to a shooting at an apartment. Not that NW Hills sees a ton of murders, but it wouldn’t have been national news without the initial confusion.

And my neighborhood is not predominantly white. Plenty of shopping centers in my neighborhood, but when they are anchored by a discoteca or a Mexican meat market, the interest level isn't as high. 

Edited by Deej

And my neighborhood is not predominantly white. Plenty of shopping centers in my neighborhood, but when they are anchored by a discoteca or a Mexican meat market, the interest level isn't as high. 

Oh no doubt. I wouldn’t argue that point.

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

America, 2021: I get to spend my Sunday with an armed pedophile homicidal cop running around behind my house.  Cool, cool.

I'm giving 2021 even lower ratings than I gave 2020.  This timeline has some real quality control problems, and I would like to speak to the manager.

Em77oDIWMAE13Qm.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I toyed with it, but I'm not willing to sexually assault a child or murder my wife, which seem to be some sort of hiring criteria for the locals.

Yeah but what about concerning tats? "Ride the Lightning" perhaps?

41 minutes ago, Deej said:

I live in a pretty exclusive neighborhood. Our shooters and murderers have to apply to the homeowners association first.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

"our newest potential resident here at XYZ Garden Homes has a strong application to the HOA.  He's former Law Enforcement, proficient with a firearm, loves guns.  Some evidence of child rape and domestic murder, but pays his bills on time, backs the blue, and stands for the anthem."

HOA, "Well, I say we give him a chance.  Anything else we should know about him?"  

"well, he's black."

10 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I would not be exaggerating at all if I said that there are people in the neighborhood who would do exactly that.

They give you a gun when you move into mine, and by give you, I mean you'll  find one laying in your yard 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

It was like finding a pond full of bass that had never seen a lure. 

It was like finding a pound full of ass that had never seen my allure.  /Vic

56 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Ah yes, the Windsor Hills area. I like it there, wish I'd bought a house ten years ago when it was bang for the buck then.

I bought the 5th House built in that neighborhood in 1971. $23,500 for a 1,300 sq/ft 3/2. Sold it in 1976 for $31,500.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Deej said:

They give you a gun when you move into mine, and by give you, I mean you'll  find one laying in your yard 

My grandson found a loaded 9mm just outside their St. Elmo ‘hood patio door several years ago. Dropped there by a homeless woman. Son turned it in to the police. They gave it back to her.