How long is barbacoa good for at room temp?

GreenspointTexas

Bought too much cachete from Veras in Brownsville around noon today. Got home at 915pm and threw the leftovers in the fridge. They have been wrapped in foil in “nacho boats” since the restaurant.

Toss the leftovers or should I be ok because of the 12hr smoke and foil wrap job? Im sure yall are gonna laugh and ask me why I havent thrown em away. Probably a hilariously stupid question but Ill hang up and listen.

Bought too much cachete from Veras in Brownsville around noon today. Got home at 915pm and threw the leftovers in the fridge. They have been wrapped in foil in “nacho boats” since the restaurant.

Toss the leftovers or should I be ok because of the 12hr smoke and foil wrap job? Im sure yall are gonna laugh and ask me why I havent thrown em away. Probably a hilariously stupid question but Ill hang up and listen.

They’re fine. Heat the meat in the microwave till steaming hot tomorrow, and you’re all good.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Related question. 

Bought two lamb shoulders to smoke.  Got home from the store, walked them out to the garage in a grocery bag, got distracted, put them down and promptly left them sitting in the bag overnight. "Found" them in the morning. Internal temp was 60 deg. Couldn't bring myself to throw them out, put them both in the freezer, went back to the WF to buy a leg of lamb to smoke for my guests. 

They still sit in my freezer until I get up the nerve to face down botulism. 

Question is, how much should I up my life insurance policy before I fire up the smoker?

Edited by Anastasis

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Related question. 

Bought two lamb shoulders to smoke.  Got home from the store, walked them out to the garage in a grocery bag, got distracted, put them down and promptly left them sitting in the bag overnight. "Found" them in the morning. Internal temp was 60 deg. Couldn't bring myself to throw them out, put them both in the freezer, went back to the WF to buy a leg of lamb to smoke for my guests. 

Question is, how much should I up my life insurance policy before I fire up the smoker?

You’re gonna cook them to 200+ degrees, right?  For Pulled Lamb?  I say go for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Related question. 

Dude, no. Throw those away.

• Hook 'Em 1

I left 30-1# chubs of ground bison on top of my softener salt tank about 15 years ago. It was in our basement utility room where we also had our chest freezer. I meant to put that box-o-bison back in the chest freezer after I retrieved some steaks or chicken.

We left home a few days later for a week+ long vacation, and upon returning, I detected the smell of death in the basement. I thought some critter had found it’s way into the house and died while we were gone. The stench about floored me when I opened the door to the utility room. The rancid juices had seeped through the vent on the softener tank lid which meant our softener had been cycling through that putrid mess. I also had to empty 200# of godawful stench salt before disassembling the tank and lines for a thorough cleaning.

I decided to not feed Bison Helper to the family. Was that decision a bit premature?

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 7:34 AM, Anastasis said:

Related question. 

Chuck them.  You don't appreciate how bad food poisoning can get until you have a really bad case.  Several years ago I got it the day after Thanksgiving (ate some ravioli that had been in the fridge way too long).  I was hallucinating and puking my guts out for 24 hours.  Wife had to go get me a suppository so I could stop yakking.  She wouldn't even give me the NowThis treatment.  Had to put it in myself.

I will never risk that shit again.  

27 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Recently used some chicken broth I had in the fridge for about 9 months. I had no idea you weren’t supposed to use it after 10-14 days (according to the box). Oh well, nobody got sick. 

Thats just the recommended use. Shit is good until/unless you get sick. 

On 5/7/2021 at 6:31 PM, 4th&Five said:

Recently used some chicken broth I had in the fridge for about 9 months. I had no idea you weren’t supposed to use it after 10-14 days (according to the box). Oh well, nobody got sick. 

Obviously the producers of a product would never lie to you about its shelf life. They care more more about your safety than they do about their profits, of course.

It’s amazing that humanity managed to survive for hundreds of thousands of years before the invention of the refrigerator.

Trust your nose. If you can’t tell the difference between good food and bad just by smelling it then you’d probably be doing our species a favor by getting sick and dying as a result.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:22 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

tenor.gif