Ricky Williams being Ricky Williams

LTtxfan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Screenshot_20230616-083240_kindlephoto-2610045.thumb.png.c5c63cedf47ec5b6b4bf1c4f734dd82a.png

Soul Training, a new four-part series from UNINTERRUPTED, seeks to change lives on and off the field by opening up a dialogue about mental health.

The show  which is available on YouTube started off as a one episode special last year for World Mental Health Day. Dr. Armando “Mondo” Gonzalez, a therapist, interviewed former NFL star Ricky Williams about strategies for mental wellness and healing the mind and the soul.

The episode was so well-received, the two were asked to do it again, this time as co-hosts inviting other athletes to share their experiences as they worked to overcome mental health and general life struggles.

https://andscape.com/features/ricky-williams-is-advocating-for-mental-health-in-soul-training/

• 1 month later...

Screenshot_20230808-184213_kindlephoto-8418204.thumb.png.68866d4b620f017707144b866b720496.png

The Distinguished Alumnus Award recognizes “alumni who have made significant achievements in their careers and service to the university.”

Williams, who earned a bachelors’ degree in 2016 from UT’s College of Education, is a two-time All-American and a member of the UT Hall of Honor and the College Football Hall of Fame. Williams, along with fellow Longhorn Heisman Trophy winner Earl Campbell, were honored in 2020 when the playing surface of Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium was renamed after them. Campbell is a fellow recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award.

The all-time leading rusher in the history of Texas football, Williams rushed for 6279 yards during his four-year Longhorn career. After three years under John Mackovic and an All-American and Doak Walker Award winning campaign in 1997, Williams returned to the Forty Acres in 1998 to play for first-year coach Mack Brown with his eyes on Tony Dorsett’s all-time NCAA rushing yardage record.

Williams delivered by rushing 361 times for 2124 yards and 27 touchdowns, and broke Dorsett’s record in the regular season finale versus Texas A&M. He won the Heisman Trophy and was selected with the fifth overall pick of the 1999 NFL draft by the New Orleans Saints.

He played for 11 seasons in the league before embarking on a number of different ventures, including time spent as an assistant coach at the University of the Incarnate Word and as a television analyst for Longhorn Network. His Texas Exes bio lists him as a wellness expert, entrepreneur, and advocate who is the CEO of LILA Astrology, the co-founder of Real Wellness Herbal, and the founder of Highsman.

Former athletes have been the recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award on multiple occasions. Mike Perrin, a former Longhorn football player and athletic director, was honored in 2022. Campbell was honored in 2014. Multi-time Masters champion Ben Crenshaw was honored in 1997, while fellow golf star Tom Kite joined the company of Texas Exes held in high esteem in 1994. Legendary Dallas Cowboys head coach Tom Landry is also among the list of Exes to receive the award.

Other recipients of the 2023 Distinguished Alumnus Award include John C. Goff, Ed Hyman, Jeannie M. Leavitt, Ross R. Moody, and Dr. Mitchel Wong. 

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/ricky-williams-honored-as-a-texas-exes-distinguished-alumnus-award-winner/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I remember this night well.  It was my third year in law school and I was watching the game at a friend's place in West Campus.  After we won, we all went to the Drag to party with the masses.  At some point, a few of us, far from sober, thought we'd run across campus and jump into the East Mall Fountain.  I guess UT PD got wind of that, because by the time we got there, there was a line of them standing in front of the fountain.  We just ran past them and turned around to go back to the party on the drag, and a few of them were laughing at us.  Good times.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ricky is also getting the coveted, and well deserved, Orange Jacket on Friday evening from the Texas-Exes.  Congrats Mr. Williams.  Enjoy this monumental weekend, you were the one who got me hooked on Longhorn football when I moved to Austin in the summer of '96.  Hook 'em! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Oh, another csb Ricky Williams story.

His daughter was elementary school classmates with my daughter.  For one year, maybe their fourth-grade year, they played on the same WAYA volleyball team.  As parents, we cheered them on, but my God, they all sucked, and those games were brutal to watch.  Most of us were silently praying that the match wouldn't go to five games so we could end the pain earlier.

Ricky only showed up for one match, and he happened to sit down next to me with an empty chair between us.  Even though I'm a fanboy, and even though I actually won one of his autographed footballs at an elementary school PTA fundraiser, I thought the best play was to leave him alone since he probably gets pestered most everywhere he goes.  But I glanced at him a few times out of the corner of my eyes, and he could not hide his anguish at watching these girls barely able to get the ball over the net.  I even saw a couple facepalms from him.  

end of csb

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Man Ricky was really good when he did the football pregame shows on LHN back in the day.

I thought he was good enough to go national.

I edited to say he was no homer either........he told it like it was. 

He was seemingly the only guy to take it seriously.  Everyone else was ‘Hook ‘‘em Horns baby!!!” and ‘Texas Texas Yeeehaw!!!!’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BevoAbyss said:

In UT football history, few plays more glorious than Ricky breaking Dorsett's record with a 60-yard TD, to clinch the Heisman, in DKR ... vs. the Texas F*cking Aggies. Absolute greatness! 

You've spelt "aggys" incorrectly, and failed to capitalize it properly (i.e. not).

Other than that, Fuck yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...