Driver Assist Systems

immamac

I'm in the market for another vehicle because my old beater has been deemed unsafe for toddler transport. In that process I've decided that I also fucking hate driving and want to do as little of it as possible.

I know Tesla has Autopilot which is mostly marketing bullshit for lane keep assist with turn signals.

Cadillac has supercruise which apparently is the bees knees and is the only truly hands free driving system available, but it's a paid for month to month service.

What else is there and what should I be looking for? I have a 2017 GLS450 with Distronic Plus w/ steering assist and all that - it does really well except for on really curvy roads. Would love for the car that I get to handle curvy roads, but that level of functionality is fine.

I'll hang up and listen now. 

23 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Your old car is unsafe for a toddler but a robot car is not?

Okie dokie.

In the event of an accident virtually any new car is going to be infinitely safer than a car from the late 90's. 

So, yes, Okie fucking Dokie. 

1 hour ago, immamac said:

In the event of an accident virtually any new car is going to be infinitely safer than a car from the late 90's. 

So, yes, Okie fucking Dokie. 

I figured you weren’t talking about the ‘17 Benz as the “old” car, but it kind of reads that way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Reading comprehension is hard. People can own 2 cars. Clearly a 2017 GLS450 is not unsafe for a toddler. I have a 1999 Acura TL which has brakes that are not functioning properly a steering problem and doesn't continue to cool when stopped in the summer. 

The talk about the '17 GLS was for frame of reference of what I already have experience with. 

On 4/20/2021 at 7:07 AM, immamac said:

I'm in the market for another vehicle because my old beater has been deemed unsafe for toddler transport. In that process I've decided that I also fucking hate driving and want to do as little of it as possible.

I know Tesla has Autopilot which is mostly marketing bullshit for lane keep assist with turn signals.

Cadillac has supercruise which apparently is the bees knees and is the only truly hands free driving system available, but it's a paid for month to month service.

What else is there and what should I be looking for? I have a 2017 GLS450 with Distronic Plus w/ steering assist and all that - it does really well except for on really curvy roads. Would love for the car that I get to handle curvy roads, but that level of functionality is fine.

I'll hang up and listen now. 

Embrace the dark side.....time for the Swagger Wagon

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I've got a '19 Jeep Cherokee with adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist. It's no autopilot, but it works great on the highway even in crawling or stop and go traffic. Lane keep is pretty decent for preventing you from drifting lanes, but that's about it. My wife's '20 rav4 has a better lanekeep function and even tracks around gentle curves nicely, but the adaptive cruise is a bit more abrupt.

Super cruise was not available when “we“ bought the new Cadillac last month. It is hung up with the chip shortages and they were not sure when it was going to be available. I told my wife to wait until it was out as it was the main reason I was fine getting one because we run a lot of highway miles. She came home with a new one anyways.

15 minutes ago, Brew said:

Super cruise was not available when “we“ bought the new Cadillac last month. It is hung up with the chip shortages and they were not sure when it was going to be available. I told my wife to wait until it was out as it was the main reason I was fine getting one because we run a lot of highway miles. She came home with a new one anyways.

I would be furious and/or have an agreement to trade for one that had it. 

Just bought a Kia Telluride for the wife’s new mom tank.  It does a very fine job of lane keeping other than the occasional attempt to follow the white line on an off ramp or slam on the brakes when it sees a car slowing on an off ramp ahead of it. I basically drove it hands off from Dallas to South Louisiana. You’re supposed to touch the wheel every 45 seconds to let it know you’re still awake, and it’ll fuss at you with a message, but will otherwise keep driving. It changed speed as the speed limit changed and the only thing I didn’t like was that it would slow down to maintain distance from the car ahead of it, and I wouldn’t notice because it had lulled me into a sense of security. Normally I’m beat after that drive, but it was a breeze.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

7 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Just bought a Kia Telluride for the wife’s new mom tank.  It does a very fine job of lane keeping other than the occasional attempt to follow the white line on an off ramp or slam on the brakes when it sees a car slowing on an off ramp ahead of it. I basically drove it hands off from Dallas to South Louisiana. You’re supposed to touch the wheel every 45 seconds to let it know you’re still awake, and it’ll fuss at you with a message, but will otherwise keep driving. It changed speed as the speed limit changed and the only thing I didn’t like was that it would slow down to maintain distance from the car ahead of it, and I wouldn’t notice because it had lulled me into a sense of security. Normally I’m beat after that drive, but it was a breeze.

Nice, so I assume that system is the same they use across all higher end Kia and Hyundai and Genesis. Will give it a test drive in the G80 or the K900

I have the blind spot, lane drift, and adaptive cruise on my F150. BLIS and Cruise are good, lane keeping is ok. Takes a little getting used to, but at first I was nervous I’d get pulled over for swerving while adjusting to it. 

Hopefully it’s improved by the time I upgrade in a few years. 

Edited by thunderlounge

To counter the beginnings of this thread with the anti-Tesla hysteria, and admittedly I'm a Tesla fan boy, Tesla has the safest cars on the planet.  Yeah, don't put it in self drive mode and stop paying attention.  That's what stupid people do.  But aside from the physical car being the safest on the planet, the software is constantly updating and getting better, which you get for free over the air.  In essence, you always have the newest model of the car, software-wise.  Commence the rage from Tesla haters.

I either like or don't mind all the driving assist technologies in my car.

I have adaptive cruise and it apparently works down to a stop and thus in stop-and-go traffic (Cadillac).

I haven't used it.

I had a car with cable-driven cruise 30 years ago that went wonky, so I have a slight distrust of cruise control.  Plus, there are so many left lane bandits that using conventional cruise control is annoying and jerky.  So I tend to ignore its availability.

I probably need to revisit that.

On 4/24/2021 at 3:31 PM, fattyflattie said:

Maybe I need to rethink all that stuff.  First thing I did was turn it all off.  Couldn’t stand the seat and steering wheel vibrating and shit every time cars would pass or slow down etc.  I’m not certain I’m comfortable in that “guided” of an experience yet. 

I don’t know about vibrating seats but I rely on my self driving features in the mornings and afternoons for the mom taxi bullshit. Stop and go traffic it’s the best.  Still pay attention but I can chat with my kids or drink my coffee, all without having to engage with the nonsense traffic. It also is perfect for ticket avoidance. Saved my butt many times over.

• 1 month later...