Mortal Kombat- Get Over Here!

RGBIII

I have fond memories of Mortal Kombat. From playing it at a local pizzeria in SW Austin as a young kid to missing the school bus cause I wanted to play the next round on my Genesis to seeing the first movie and being blown away by the soundtrack. So glad they revisited this in a better way than other spin offs. So excited. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

Spoiler

I really enjoyed it for what it was. 7/10 for me. I knew the story would be ass but some of those fights were bad ass. Cole whatever his name was fucking sucked and should be given the Johnny Cage in Annihilation treatment. Kano and sub zero are easily the best part of the movie. Needed more scorpion. Sets up the next one nicely, they need to jump straight into the tournament

C4BE8C28-2DC9-4C4D-912C-57C1A9638CDD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Just watched with my nephew and it is fucking amazing! A lot of cussing and the gore is crazy, but my nephew is 10 and he’s heard those words before. I felt like a kid again watching it ha. Will be watching again when my bro comes into town this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Man I had high hopes for this one from the first 7 minutes they previewed. It turned out to be the best part of the movie. What a disappointment. Acting was horrible. In for a Subzero/Scorpion movie but the rest of the cast sucked. Pains me as an Asian to say that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AngryDragon said:

Man I had high hopes for this one from the first 7 minutes they previewed. It turned out to be the best part of the movie. What a disappointment. Acting was horrible. In for a Subzero/Scorpion movie but the rest of the cast sucked. Pains me as an Asian to say that. 

I mean, looking back I’m not sure the acting in the first couple films was any better. Looks like they’re setting up for a pretty bad ass sequel, especially with Johnny Cage being the centerpiece of the next one. Just sit back and enjoy the gratuitous ninja violence

The actor that played Lui Kang in the first film is unmatched though. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 2

Mortal Kombat has a roster of like 100 characters, so it was kinda lame that the main guy was created for the movie and they gave him a pretty generic power. Also kind of a missed opportunity to have Jax fight Reiko on The Pit, but not have actually have the iconic pit fatality. 

The Scorpion v Sub-Zero stuff was awesome. 

Edited by ultimaton
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Mortal Kombat has a roster of like 100 characters, so it was kinda lame that the main guy was created for the movie and they gave him a pretty generic power. Also kind of a missed opportunity to have Jax fight Reiko on The Pit, but not have actually have the iconic pit fatality. 

The CGI and costumes were generally pretty decent. Cole Young's armor that basically absorbed and reflected power like Black Panther's costume looked like something you would pick up at a flea market. How cheap that looked kept distracting me every time he was on screen.

1 hour ago, ultimaton said:

Pretty much this.  

The 1995 Mortal Kombat worked/works because it didn't take itself seriously at all.  This movie felt like they were trying too hard to flesh out he characters while playing up the ridiculous violence and ninja stuff.

That worked with Sub-Zero and Scorpion, and failed everywhere else, especially with the random Cole Young character...who of course they focused a bunch of the movie on.

At least the Sub-Zero actor is signed for four films if this reboot works.  More Sub-Zero fighting Scorpion, kill off Cole Young post haste.

Edited by Captain Obvious

3 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I mean, looking back I’m not sure the acting in the first couple films was any better. Looks like they’re setting up for a pretty bad ass sequel, especially with Johnny Cage being the centerpiece of the next one. Just sit back and enjoy the gratuitous ninja violence

The actor that played Lui Kang in the first film is unmatched though. 

Acting in the original MK movies were horribad too. This one was supposed to be more of a serious take with actual martial artists but the execution was underwhelming. Hiroyuki Sanada was awesome as Scorpion though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, AngryDragon said:

Expecting cinematic masterpieces for these kinds of movies is your own fault. 

• Haha 1

I thought it was ok, but the soundtrack was somewhat disappointing.  I may be in the minority here, but it would have been cool if they'd gotten someone like The Chemical Brothers to do the music.

I also thought the buildup was weird.  Seemed slow at parts; too fast at parts.  For example, the buildup to the 1 v 1 part was kind of slow, but then each individual match took like 60 seconds.

How cool was the scene with the miter saw hat?

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm skeptical.  The next good movie I watch based off of a video game will be the first.**

** Bob Haskins and John Leguizamo in the 1993 masterpiece Super Mario Bros. clearly being the exception.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's ok to like this movie because you played mortal kombat as a kid or whatever, but let's be honest about just how bad this was. If the only positive thing you can say is the ninja fight scenes were fun, then Warrior does that better. 

Edited by Doc Sam Beckett
Cholas 4 life
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I just gotta know who’s going to play Johnny Cage in the next one. They have to nail it and ideally they probably need to get a “name” like Ryan Reynolds or Chris Pratt type. I think Zach Efron could pull it off

Zach Efron is too young, they should go with somebody like Rob Lowe, that guy doesn't age.

zac-efron-face.jpg.f31e964af3a1212304503

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

It's ok to like this movie because you played mortal kombat as a kid or whatever, but let's be honest about just how bad this was. 

The cool kids enjoyed Pit Fighter

pit4.gif?resize=480,360&ssl=1

And we enjoyed the movie made out of it, although the name was changed to "Bloodsport" which sounded cooler.

bloodsport-jean-claude-van-dam.jpg?w=681

• Like 3

On 4/24/2021 at 7:29 AM, RGBIII said:

I just gotta know who’s going to play Johnny Cage in the next one. They have to nail it and ideally they probably need to get a “name” like Ryan Reynolds or Chris Pratt type. I think Zach Efron could pull it off

You watched and liked this one with shit acting.  They aren't going to try and mess up that formula by hiring actual actors.

• Haha 1

shouldn't they hire Jean Claude van Damme since he was the inspiration for the character in the first place?

Watched last night with wife and kids. Was not expecting that level of gore. Wife was asking me if I really thought it was good for a 10 and 12 year old. 

Kano got a chuckle out of me, the rest outside of the backstory of Sub Zero and Scorpion was all pretty dumb.  I also liked how they setup a legit backstory with these two and later it's btw I changed my name to Sub-Zero now, and also my name is Scorpion because you know we are 12 years old and that sounds cool.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:54 PM, AngryDragon said:

Agree.

Huge fan and spent tons of quarters in arcades back in the day on MK.  The intro made it look like this may be like what the Dark Knight was for the batman movies...a turning point. But nope.  I didn't have super high hopes, but thought it might be better than the original. But it was only slightly better bc of the effects.

Cool to see certain characters like Millena, Kabal, Kung Lao.

Tired of seeing the earth group...tiny liu kang, jax, sonya, kano...blah never used them in the game after the original game.

Scorpion didn't even come back until like 15 mins left.  Easily the best parts w him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mild spoilers for those disappointed.

Spoiler

This was apparently meant to be a "prequel" of sorts to set up the full-blown universe/movies, and some of the actors have mentioned that they are in it for multiple films (Sub-Zero's actor said he was signed to 5 films).

Prequel is an odd choice, since it implies others are already made, but basically this was for the character and world-building, and the main course is yet to come.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Spoiler

This was apparently meant to be a "prequel" of sorts to set up the full-blown universe/movies, and some of the actors have mentioned that they are in it for multiple films (Sub-Zero's actor said he was signed to 5 films).
Prequel is an odd choice, since it implies others are already made, but basically this was for the character and world-building, and the main course is yet to come.

Spoilers for Mortal Kombat the reboot? Haha

15 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Spoilers for Mortal Kombat the reboot? Haha

Yeah, thought about it, but somebody might wander in and then get pissed when they find out that there was no actual tournament in the movie.

Then again, the movie has been out long enough, nobody should come in here cold.

I expected more outrageous and comically fantastic gore - spines and whatnot, etc. 

I think a Kano spinoff has (or had...) potential - I got a real kick out of his over-the-top crass bullshit. I could see kind of like a douchier Deadpool sort of thing. 

SuperSweater's wife and daughter were pretty chill about the whole ordeal - "Fuck waiting for another four-armed monster to show up!" 

Spoiler

Cole and the weird backwards lore they introduced with him really fucked with my opinion of the movie during the watch. I despised his character and thought it took away from the actual mortal kombat story. 

Also being able to defeat Goro is bullshit that really really pissed me off. Goro didn't even get started. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/26/2021 at 2:29 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Hide contents

If they were going this route why not go even more in depth and try to do some marvel type shit instead of rushing things. Start with scorpion sub zero movie, call it mortal Kombat fire and ice or some shit, that 7 minutes and last 1 are the best part. I think most people would spend some cash to watch more of that. Then give us a mortal Kombat: outworld and a mortal Kombat: earthrealm to establish those characters and giving the audience some attachment to them and their journey. Then finally you get to the tournament and treat it like the first avengers movie. They have enough lore, characters and a built in fan base to flesh this shit out especially if you give us what the people want at the start! 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

If they were going this route why not go even more in depth and try to do some marvel type shit instead of rushing things. Start with scorpion sub zero movie, call it mortal Kombat fire and ice or some shit, that 7 minutes and last 1 are the best part. I think most people would spend some cash to watch more of that. Then give us a mortal Kombat: outworld and a mortal Kombat: earthrealm to establish those characters and giving the audience some attachment to them and their journey. Then finally you get to the tournament and treat it like the first avengers movie. They have enough lore, characters and a built in fan base to flesh this shit out especially if you give us what the people want at the start! 

Yeah, I think a lot of people were expecting a big tournament out of this movement, instead of setting up a tournament a film or two from now.  I've seen a lot bitch about it.