Movie Stars That Are Not Good Actors

sheeeit

35 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Keanu has his moments.  Parenthood, My Own Private Idaho, River's Edge, The Gift, even parts of Something's Gotta Give he can give show some surprising vulnerability.  It's not shocking most of these are ensemble pieces or where he's in a supporting role.  He's sort of a character actor who was blessed with amazing looks so he's cast as the lead in huge vehicles.  I'm not going to argue he's the next coming of Olivier and I think a lot of his issues come from voice modulation, which is unbelievably important, but he has his moments.  He's also, reportedly, maybe the nicest, coolest guy in Hollywood, so as long as he has stuff like John Wick, where he doesn't have to stretch himself, I can enjoy his stuff.

Parenthood (Wiest kills it here BTW):

I watched the video before reading your post and assumed that this was surely an example of fucking despicably awful acting. just comically embarrassing. but no, you think keanu did well here. funny. 

It’s not “movie acting”(if that’s an important qualifier), but watch Aniston in her “dramatic” role in The Morning Show and try to look at it objectively. She’s a terrific comedienne, but the melodramatic tone she created in TMS was just over the top. So maybe she doesn’t belong in this thread, because she can act in the right roles, but this show isn’t a good one for her (despite raves... she’s built up some goodwill). 

And fucking Cruise acts his balls off in Magnolia. Besides a couple other obvious ones (Born, Jerry Maguire), I’ll pick one OSUJeff didn’t choose in his excellent list. Cruise’s work in the repeating timeline action movie Edge of Tomorrow was pretty damned good, really underrated popcorn film. 

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Jennifer Lawrence

Yeah, I said it. Every role is like watching a wooden doll say words.

Sweet Baby Christ. She’s been nominated for best actress 4 times and won once. 

Is this a bit? Am I being punked? Where’s Ashton?

57 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Jennifer Lawrence

Yeah, I said it. Every role is like watching a wooden doll say words.

Actually I think this is a good one. She was really good in Winter’s Bone and then started getting huge franchise roles and the David O. Russell Oscar bait-y stuff and  she was anointed as a great actress and movie star.

Every time I’ve seen her in something after WB, once I stop focusing on how hot she is I usually question her acting chooses and start wondering if she’s actually just bad.   

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Sweet Baby Christ. She’s been nominated for best actress 4 times and won once. 

Is this a bit? Am I being punked? Where’s Ashton?

Like I said, she was anointed, those nominations don’t mean anything to me. Big fan of Joy? Have you seen American Hustle lately? Silver Linings Playbook is fine but pretty over rated IMO and she doesn’t blow me away in it by any means. She is great in Winter’s Bone so maybe belongs in an “actors who are great in one role but underwhelm from there” thread. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Keanu has his moments.  Parenthood, My Own Private Idaho, River's Edge, The Gift, even parts of Something's Gotta Give he can give show some surprising vulnerability.  It's not shocking most of these are ensemble pieces or where he's in a supporting role.  He's sort of a character actor who was blessed with amazing looks so he's cast as the lead in huge vehicles.  I'm not going to argue he's the next coming of Olivier and I think a lot of his issues come from voice modulation, which is unbelievably important, but he has his moments.  He's also, reportedly, maybe the nicest, coolest guy in Hollywood, so as long as he has stuff like John Wick, where he doesn't have to stretch himself, I can enjoy his stuff.
Parenthood (Wiest kills it here BTW):

And in the Key and Peele movie they asked him ‘to Keanu it up’ more in his cameo. And he did.

1 minute ago, TxTower said:

I nominate Brad Pitt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You couldn’t be more wrong and you should feel shame.  His roles in 12 Monkeys, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Inglorious Basterds, Fight Club and Moneyball and many more were great.  I would argue he is one of the best actors we have seen over the last 25 years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 7

Has DeNiro ever played anything other than a sociopathic, Italian-American (usually a mobster) from New York?  I guess there was that one time in Once Upon A Time in America where he played a sociopathic Jewish mobster from New York.  I'm beginning to think that DeNiro may just be a sociopathic Italian-American from New York playing himself on screen.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Has DeNiro ever played anything other than a sociopathic, Italian-American (usually a mobster) from New York?  I guess there was that one time in Once Upon A Time in America where he played a sociopathic Jewish mobster from New York.  I'm beginning to think that DeNiro may just be a sociopathic Italian-American from New York playing himself on screen.

There was that one time he played a sociopath from the South.

image.jpeg.f802e8cf2eb86061f4d24fc35533f43d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, 83Horn said:

His role in Awakenings wasn’t that.  The Deer Hunter, Ronin, Midnight Run, King of Comedy, not a sociopath.  You should watch more of his movies apparently.

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently DeNiro was Italian-American in "Goodfellas."  Weird because most of subplot of the movie was him not being able to be made because he was Irish, and Tommy could get made.

9 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

He played an Irish sociopathic mobster recently.

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

maybe recently now that hes on the wagon (cause yeah he sucked as Batman),

but that dude had some serious range for quite a while.

from 92-97 he was in School Ties, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Good Will Hunting, and  Dazed and confused (I think he played the retread idiot jerk Senior very well).

plus he did got some solid reviews in Boiler Room, Reindeer Games, The Town, Hollywoodland and Argo..

Affleck plays a jerk very well. Allegedly one of the reasons he wrote Good Will Hunting with Damon is so he could cast himself in a more likeable roll. 

He was very good in Gone Girl and The Town. He's arguably a better director and writer than actor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Meet the Parents? Joker? The Intern? Sleepers? Wag the Dog? Silver Linings Playbook?  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

His role in Awakenings wasn’t that.  The Deer Hunter, Ronin, Midnight Run, King of Comedy, not a sociopath.  You should watch more of his movies apparently.

I've seen enough of them to know that he's a one trick pony.  Deer Hunter, a sociopathic Vietnam Vet, Midnight Run, a sociopathic bounty hunter, Ronin, a sociopathic mercenary.  Maybe I exaggerated by saying that he always plays a sociopathic, Italian-American mobster, but his characters are always sociopathic, if not full-on psycho, threatening and/or violent; maybe not always Italian-American, maybe not always a mobster, but the character is the same.  He seems very limited.  He is great at what he does, though, which only makes sense, since he's been doing it for almost 50 years now.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Apparently DeNiro was Italian-American in "Goodfellas."  Weird because most of subplot of the movie was him not being able to be made because he was Irish, and Tommy could get made.

“Jimmy Conway” portraying Jimmy Burke seems pretty damn Irish to me. He also states he’s an Irishman before the Billy Batts assault scene.

image.gif.2455a7fce43d7acb4cfe1bcab7c30fd1.gif

Edited by billfromlaketravis

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

“Jimmy Conway” portraying Jimmy Burke seems pretty damn Irish to me. He also states he’s an Irishman before the Billy Batts assault scene.

image.gif.2455a7fce43d7acb4cfe1bcab7c30fd1.gif

Hence me stating in my post he played someone who was Irish. 

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, 83Horn said:

I've seen enough of them to know that he's a one trick pony.  Deer Hunter, a sociopathic Vietnam Vet, Midnight Run, a sociopathic bounty hunter, Ronin, a sociopathic mercenary.  Maybe I exaggerated by saying that he always plays a sociopathic, Italian-American mobster, but his characters are always sociopathic, if not full-on psycho, threatening and/or violent; maybe not always Italian-American, maybe not always a mobster, but the character is the same.  He seems very limited.  He is great at what he does, though, which only makes sense, since he's been doing it for almost 50 years now.

He's done comedy a lot more than you think. There was absolutely nothing threatening about him in Bad Grandpa. He was basically the lone bright spot in the badly directed movie "The Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight". Wasn't threatening at all in The Joker where he played great opposite Phoenix's psychopath. 

Backdraft, Joy, The Intern, as Monroe Stahr in The Last Tycoon, Marvin's Room, and so on. Did you not see any of these?

He also brought depth and quality to non mobster "villain roles" such as the abusive step father in This Boy's Life and the racist diving instructor in Men of Honor. 

Even in Flawless he and Hoffman gave A level performances to difficult roles to pull off. Ebert's review concluded with this:

"De Niro is a great technical actor who may have been attracted to this material because of the chance to play a stroke victim. His performance not only gets Walt's symptoms right, but also shows sympathy for the man inside. Hoffman, who played the pathetic man who made dirty phone calls in "Happiness," shows he's one of the best new character actors, able to take a flamboyant role and find the quiet details in it. Too bad they're stuck in a jumbled plot, but as an odd couple, they work."

If you think he's a one trick pony it's because you've only been interested in watching the movies he does that trick. 

• Fuck You 4

13 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Come on man. Eli's vice was mescaline. :)

Come on man.

I would agree that what Cruise is doing right now isn't anything great, acting wise, but in his prime the dude had chops. He's not Daniel Day Lewis or Philip Seymor Hoffman, but he can act. He should have won at least 3 Oscars by now (Rain Man, Born of the 4th of July, Magnolia) and was good-to-great in many, many other films:

• Risky Business
  • The Color of Money
  • A Few Good Men
  • The Firm
  • Interview with the Vampire (fantastic "bad guy" turn - should have done this more)
  • Jerry Maguire
  • Eyes Wide Shut
  • Vanilla Sky
  • Minority Report
  • Collateral (see Interview with the Vampire)
  • Tropic Thunder (!!)

Again, I know opinions vary, but Tom Cruise is about 50 rungs on the acting scale above someone like Mark fucking Wahlberg.  

Agreed, but he has basically stopped acting over the last two decades. He only plays one character. Ethan Hunt. 

MIP 1-7

Minority Report - Future cop Ethan Hunt

Last Samurai - Kung Fu Ethan Hunt

Collateral - Gray Hair Ethan Hunt

War of the Worlds. - Daddy Ethan Hunt 

Tropic Thunder - Fat Old Rich Ethan Hunt 

Valkyrie - Nazi Ethan Hunt

Knight and Day - RomCom Ethan Hunt

Rock of Ages - Big Hair Ethan Hunt 

Jack Reacher. - homeless Ethan Hunt

Oblivion - future Ethan Hunt

Live Did Repeat - Ground hog day Ethan Hunt

Mummy - Sand Ethan Hunt

American Made - Drug dealing Ethan Hunt

Top Gun 2 - Pilot Ethan Hunt

• Haha 1

Just because someone stopped pursuing roles that showcases their acting ability does not mean they can’t act. You can’t just ignore all the evidence where they are a good actor. 

And Lawrence might be overrated, but again, that doesn’t make her a bad actor. 
People are just listing people that annoy them or they got tired of, or overrated. There is a difference between that and bad acting. We at least need to establish a baseline. 

Segal? Stallone? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Again, I know opinions vary, but Tom Cruise is about 50 rungs on the acting scale above someone like Mark fucking Wahlberg.  

Fuck the Wahlberg hate.  I don't know what the dude has but he's got it.  He's always fun to watch on screen.  

Maybe he's a terrific actor and rapper.  Maybe not. 

Maybe fuck yourself.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

maybe recently now that hes on the wagon (cause yeah he sucked as Batman),

but that dude had some serious range for quite a while.

from 92-97 he was in School Ties, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Good Will Hunting, and  Dazed and confused (I think he played the retread idiot jerk Senior very well).

plus he did got some solid reviews in Boiler Room, Reindeer Games, The Town, Hollywoodland and Argo..

Thought he did well in The Accountant. But yeah overall, he has the suck. 

10 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Actually I think this is a good one. She was really good in Winter’s Bone and then started getting huge franchise roles and the David O. Russell Oscar bait-y stuff and  she was anointed as a great actress and movie star.

Every time I’ve seen her in something after WB, once I stop focusing on how hot she is I usually question her acting chooses and start wondering if she’s actually just bad.   

Like I said, she was anointed, those nominations don’t mean anything to me. Big fan of Joy? Have you seen American Hustle lately? Silver Linings Playbook is fine but pretty over rated IMO and she doesn’t blow me away in it by any means. She is great in Winter’s Bone so maybe belongs in an “actors who are great in one role but underwhelm from there” thread. 

It’s clear to me now that she was the last of Harvey’s girls.  The further she got from Winter’s Bone the more it’s apparent she is a character actor who was a product of the system for her awards.  

6 minutes ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

I nominate Kevin Kostner. 

Interesting discussion.  In all fairness, I think he's similar to Redford.  Not a great actor, and like Redford, the quality of some of his movies exceed his acting ability. 

Kostner's been in some clunkers and never had the acting chops to make them better.  But he's also been in some pretty great films.  Bull Durham, Fandango, No Way Out, Dances With Wolves (yeah, super self-indulgent, but a great flick), Field of Dreams, JFK, A Perfect World.  Admittedly not the best range in those movies.

Agreed, but he has basically stopped acting over the last two decades. He only plays one character. Ethan Hunt. 

MIP 1-7
Minority Report - Future cop Ethan Hunt
Last Samurai - Kung Fu Ethan Hunt
Collateral - Gray Hair Ethan Hunt
War of the Worlds. - Daddy Ethan Hunt 
Tropic Thunder - Fat Old Rich Ethan Hunt 
Valkyrie - Nazi Ethan Hunt
Knight and Day - RomCom Ethan Hunt
Rock of Ages - Big Hair Ethan Hunt 
Jack Reacher. - homeless Ethan Hunt
Oblivion - future Ethan Hunt
Live Did Repeat - Ground hog day Ethan Hunt
Mummy - Sand Ethan Hunt
American Made - Drug dealing Ethan Hunt
Top Gun 2 - Pilot Ethan Hunt

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, RPM said:

Naa, the Duke had range. He turned out his fair share of formulaic schlock, but he had a few stellar performances.

The shootist was probably the best of his that I've seen. And let's not forget that he basically invented the everyman type character that he played in so many movies.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, sheeeit said:

Mark Wahlberg- He is basically rangeless.  In The Fighter, it is almost comical how much better of an actor Christian Bale and Amy Adams are compared to him. Also, he received a lot of critical Acclaim for his role in The Departed.  I watched it agin recently, admittedly I was high so the good was really good and the bad was really bad, but his scenes were almost comically bad. His range is so small it is amazing he is as successful as he is.  And seems like a genuinely good guy. 

I've always felt like he is a total dick.  He was undoubtedly a piece of shit before becoming an actor, to the point where he probably didn't have to act much in Fear. 

And he got all butthurt about this greatness....

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d say he can act when given strong direction, but his Missouri flat accented voice is always off and doesn’t sound right with whatever emotion he’s trying to convey.

That's actually spot on, though seemed more prevalent earlier in his career.  A River Runs Through It and Legends of the Fall are perfect examples of that.  Whether through experience or better direction, I think his acting improved beyond those roles (or rolls).  But when I saw those films I thought he was just another Robert Redford (I swear, I don't have a personal grudge against Redford).

Edited by South Austin