What does the recent conviction of Derek Chauvin mean to you personally (no commentary)

immamac

We have a thread for discussion, this is not the thread for that. I wanted an opportunity to create a thread where people can post what this means for them personally - with no discussion or commentary, so others can gain perspective. 

For me personally this means very little and everything at the same time - I will explain. 

It means very little because without real reform this is just putting someone who very clearly murdered a man in jail. 

It means everything to me because it kept the tiny glimmer of hope I have for this country alive. Reform is still possible and could potentially be accelerated by this. If he was found innocent I'd have lost all faith in the possibility of a recovery. 

Let everyone know what it means to you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The bar for convicting a cop is a nearly ten minute video chronicling the entire murder from start to finish. I am glad justice was served but I have little hope for the future. Police are the most dangerous armed gangs in America, by far.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really expected a hung jury because odds are at least one out of 12 is going to be a total ____________( I'm not even sure what word to put here, but look at the forums at Texags to see the type of people I mean.

So when the guilty verdict came, I expected to feel glad, or something. But I only feel sad. I mean, justice was served, and at this point, that is the best outcome we could have hoped for.

Dude ruined his own life, killed a man, I can't imagine the pain Floyd's family has gone through, not to mention the scars the 9 yr old and 17 yr old who witnessed it and then had to testify will bear; all because he was too... scared? angry? full of hate? to just ease up and sit Floyd against the car, or at least allow paramedics to treat him after he became unconscious.

Just a fucked up, sad deal all around.

Sorry.

How it affected me?  I was expecting this -- I mean, 9 and hald minutes of kneeling on someone's neck as they plead for their life is going to lead to something.  

I do wish, however, that those who wanted a conviction were a bit more circumspect in their comments prior to the verdict, both because I think there will be rank hypocracy in terms of the argument about appeal, and also just that people should do a better job in how they speak about a case pre verdict, because the more careful and solemn people are in terms of issues like this, the more bang a jury doing its job has. 

• Like 2

Glad justice was served and as long as a camera is present it will continue to be, body cams now days will help continue that.  With that said you will never get rid of the small percentage of cops who take force and their little man syndrome too far no matter what you try to teach them or if a camera is present or not.

Edited by Hook1997

um, so ANYway...i probably mostly feel relief.

i believe justice was served, as they say. i hope he also gets an appropriate sentence. but it feels like we are in such a precarious balance with everything... this is just one thing that happened to tilt a different way this time.

i i'm not convinced it's a pattern. yet.

What does it mean to me personally? Nothing for I am not a black man nor do I believe this conviction will change anything. Already people are talking about justice and accountability as if there's such a thing as justice for the dead. And accountability requires both parties to be in the same community, cops are not a part of the black community they are occupiers of it so they aren't accountable to any of them. This result will allow people to point and say the system works and move on with their lives.

It means to me that MAYBE,  just MAYBE,  my mixed race children will have a future where policing is more safe for them. 

I'm not sure it will happen,  but it's the first piece of hope that my "talk" with them will be in vain

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

One small victory for police accountability; lots more to go.

This.

I think the carte Blanche previously afforded American police has been a huge part of the most divisive issues in this country.  Having some measure of accountability will help mend this.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm relived that justice was served, but I don't think there's much to be happy about.  Chauvin ended Floyd's life and ruined his own and countless others' lives and nothing will undo that.  Hopefully it leads to more accountability in similar situations and better policing in the future, but I have practically no reason to believe it will.  Until we reduce the influence of police unions, improve screening and selection processes for applicants/hiring, amend training procedures and end stupid policies like qualified immunity that shield bad cops from being held responsible for their actions, the issue will persist.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It doesn’t do anything for the 15-year-old girl who was shot and killed by police in Columbus tonight. This is breaking news and the body cam video hasn’t been released yet. It’s supposed to come out soon. This link says she was 16 but the local news and press briefings are saying she was 15.

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/news/local/16-year-old-girl-shot-and-killed-by-police-officer-in-southeast-columbus/530-c77bb47e-97d1-47b5-8ed8-099c105a0f20

The bodycam video is up on that page. It’s not pretty. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

I feel optimistic that cops may start thinking twice before violating the rights and lives of citizens. 
I feel worried that with more convictions of cops in cases where the deceased was resisting arrest, fighting the cops, stealing the cops’ weapons, attempting to speed off in a car, etc. we will see more criminals that are fearless to engage in such antics when being arrested. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It doesn’t do anything for the 15-year-old girl who was shot and killed by police in Columbus tonight. This is breaking news and the body cam video hasn’t been released yet. It’s supposed to come out soon. This link says she was 16 but the local news and press briefings are saying she was 15.

https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article/news/local/16-year-old-girl-shot-and-killed-by-police-officer-in-southeast-columbus/530-c77bb47e-97d1-47b5-8ed8-099c105a0f20

And then the hope becomes null and void. 

I would never say I regret my children,  but sometimes I regret bringing them into this world where I have actual trepidation letting my 15- year- old son go out and hang out with his friends at night. 

I dunno,  I'll shut the fuck up about it,  but it's a real fear of mine...

It gives me a slight glimmer of hope. I know they say that white people don't really experience racism in America, and they don't nearly to the extent that a colored person does, but anybody who says that has never been in a mixed relationship in certain parts of America. Some people will hate you just for mixing with another race. But this gives me hope that I don't have to worry so much about interactions my wife or children might have with law enforcement. 

• Like 1