Mare of Easttown

TwiceHorn

Anyone watching?  Just started this week.  Pretty serious cast, notably Kate Winslet and Lt Edmund Exley.

A lot going on in the first ep, quite a bit of it a little soapy.

Despite the soapiness, everyone looks a little dirty.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

Really enjoyed it, and have to say I think Kate is still pretty hot even as a brash, snarky, detective-y grandma from podunk Pennsylvania.  Wouldn't mind her picking me up in a bar.

she is hot for sure.  they are doing their best to keep her from looking that way in this show, which is well and good.  this east coast, working class, southie kinda life doesnt look good in any movie or show.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Liked it enough to keep going.  It has a real "Sharp Objects" vibe to it so far, which I liked but didn't love.  I typically prefer story driven shows more than character studies- and this seems like the latter- but it's early and they're setting things up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

she is hot for sure.  they are doing their best to keep her from looking that way in this show, which is well and good.  this east coast, working class, southie kinda life doesnt look good in any movie or show.  

I will grant you that Kate Winslet, particularly in her younger days, was quite physically attractive.  As demonstrated in the post-show, she remains "handsome" and possesses other attractions

But as "Mare Sheehan," she ain't hot.  Most of the characters, but particularly Mare and her female contemporaries, look pretty awful.

second the 'Sharp Objects' similarities... even down to cattiness of old high school 'friends'. 

i just want to make sure i followed the story correctly...she has a lesbian, teen mom daughter who appears to do academically well, and her ex-husband lives within shouting distance with his new fiance' and he remains extremely close with her actual family (mom, cousin, etc).

both those circumstances are... unusual. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, mchookem said:

second the 'Sharp Objects' similarities... even down to cattiness of old high school 'friends'. 

i just want to make sure i followed the story correctly...she has a lesbian, teen mom daughter who appears to do academically well, and her ex-husband lives within shouting distance with his new fiance' and he remains extremely close with her actual family (mom, cousin, etc).

both those circumstances are... unusual. 

The daughter isn’t the mom. The vision she had of her son tells me it was his. That’s why the kid was asking about his dad liking turtles. 

The daughter is the same girl who was so good as Gosling’s kid in The Nice Guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

The daughter isn’t the mom. The vision she had of her son tells me it was his. That’s why the kid was asking about his dad liking turtles. 

The daughter is the same girl who was so good as Gosling’s kid in The Nice Guys. 

Definitely agree with this.  Feel like she lost her son, either died or he was driven away..... I lean died.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, thrillhammer said:

my biggest complaint of the show so far is that fake limp of mare's.  they should have had her just run out of wind instead of an ankle injury.  i'm not sure i can watch her limp around for another episode.  

Agree the sprained ankle was awkward in a couple ways. It's not going to dissuade me from watching ep 2 though. I'm hoping it'll pick up.

11 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Kate's doing that thing with her accent that Tom Hardy did in The Revenant...  hard to describe, it's like their o's are really long or something. i wonder if it's a particular trick to make a British accent more American/regional. 

It's supposed to be the SE Pennsylvania accent. Other actors are doing it too.

19 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Kate's doing that thing with her accent that Tom Hardy did in The Revenant...  hard to describe, it's like their o's are really long or something. i wonder if it's a particular trick to make a British accent more American/regional. 

I saw a story about that.  It's a Philadelphia/Delaware County accent.  It's extremely weird and not even that common in Philly anymore.  Hardly anyone attempts to do it for tv/film.  The earmark of it seems to be the pronunciation of "water" as "wooter" and similar.  

Here's the article. https://slate.com/culture/2021/04/mare-of-easttown-kate-winslet-philadelphia-accent.html

From time to time, Hardy just lets his Brit accent, which I think is East End London, kind of similar to cockney, bleed through.  Most of the time when he does it, it's intentional/appropriate, as it might have been in Revenant because those people weren't far removed from Great Britain anyway.

Nicole Kidman, on the other hand, lets some Oz slip through occasionally, and then it's a flat mistake.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

I haven't watched last nights so anyone who has is way ahead of me. But my wife and I started watching it last week and turned it to something else because it was so depressing. I felt so sorry for the young girl with the child and how she was being treated by the father and his new girlfriend. It just pisses me off how some young people can be so cruel to each other. Especially when others are around and don't do anything while that person is being mistreated. Where are the standup people to stop it when things like that happen? And on top of it they were filming it on their iPhones. All that to say, I do like these kind of mysteries and will watch it but probably on my own. 

Edited by Brandywine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I saw a story about that.  It's a Philadelphia/Delaware County accent.  It's extremely weird and not even that common in Philly anymore.  Hardly anyone attempts to do it for tv/film.  The earmark of it seems to be the pronunciation of "water" as "wooter" and similar.  

Here's the article. https://slate.com/culture/2021/04/mare-of-easttown-kate-winslet-philadelphia-accent.html

From time to time, Hardy just lets his Brit accent, which I think is East End London, kind of similar to cockney, bleed through.  Most of the time when he does it, it's intentional/appropriate, as it might have been in Revenant because those people weren't far removed from Great Britain anyway.

Nicole Kidman, on the other hand, lets some Oz slip through occasionally, and then it's a flat mistake.

cool read.

yeah, of all British/Aussie actors that do American accents, Kidman is definitely the worst.

ok, this clip from the Revenant, you can hear it twice here from Hardy...

the way he says 'know' at about 1:35, and then 'no' at 1:52. Kate is doing the same sound, to my ear.

it's not bothersome, in her case i can def tell she's trying to do a regional accent... the main reason i mentioned it is bc it is one of the things i distinctly remember from Hardy in The Revenant, he sounded it more modern somehow, it stuck out.

anyway, sorry for the sidebar, was just interesting 🙂

22 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

This show is acted phenomenally. Enjoying it.

And damn, I was not expecting that twist. 

Hide contents

Mare's ex possibly knocked up Erin

It's a well done show and I actually thought the twist was a bit obvious, but that could have been from the good acting.  It also may or may not be true.

Spoiler

He really wanted to get an update on the case, so he follows her outside.  He says he taught her but didn't really remember her much because she was quiet.  Yet, he suspected she didn't have a good family life?  Nah, you only get to understand that from talking to students generally.  It was the small things he said, but as soon as that scene ended, I told my gf.  He was fucking the girl.  Now, he may not be Poppa, but I bet he was having some sort of inappropriate relationship.

the GF picked up on this tidbit:

when Siobhan told Mare about what happened the night of Erin's death, she said she saw Erin walk away but didn't say anything to her.

when Siobhan was interviewed by Detective Zabel, she told him that she asked Erin if she needed a ride home but Erin said no.

could have been an innocent mistake or could have been a lie to the mom.

anyway, this show is great.  and i'm glad it's once a week instead of all 7 episodes being dropped at once.

episode 2 really kicked it up a notch.   agree with the poster that mentioned how cold mare is.  she calls her daughter 15 times without answering and the first thing she says when she sees her isnt are you okay, or where have you been, or i was worried about you.  it was why didnt you tell me you were at the woods last night?  totally self-absorbed.

yeah, when Brianna told Mare "no wonder your son killed himself," i kinda felt bad for Mare.  but i also didn't feel bad because Brianna had already asked for a lawyer several times, but Mare kept pushing and pushing and pushing.  she didn't care.  she was gonna keep on pressing Brianna.  so Brianna had to shut her up with that.

well, Mare is just a terrible person!

i mean not really lol but planting the H was a serious bitch move. and that's now two characters that have brought up how much her son hated her, so there's something there. her daughter is none too fond of her either.

so ex was a red herring, priest seems formulaic but we'll see.

It's really refreshing to see a show that doesn't create fake drama by having characters avoid real-life actions.

For example...Hey, Mare, your ex may be the father of Erin's baby.

Mare walks right the fuck over to his house. Did you fuck her? Did you murder her? You're taking a DNA test tomorrow.

Lesser shows would've let that hang in the air for many episodes before resolution.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Mare walks right the fuck over to his house. Did you fuck her? Did you murder her? You're taking a DNA test tomorrow.

Lesser shows would've let that hang in the air for many episodes before resolution.

this goes back to Mare being a horrible person.  there was a way to handle that.  but to yell at him in earshot of his fiance, future stepson, daughter, etc.?  not cool.  but that's the way Mare operates. and that's why nobody likes her.

i hope it's not Deacon Mark.  that's too easy.  maybe he's covering for somebody.  Mare's cousin, Father Dan?

Edited by Jive Turkey

this goes back to Mare being a horrible person.  there was a way to handle that.  but to yell at him in earshot of his fiance, future stepson, daughter, etc.?  not cool.  but that's the way Mare operates. and that's why nobody likes her.
i hope it's not Deacon Mark.  that's too easy.  maybe he's covering for somebody.  Mare's cousin, Father Dan?

Well, she asked him to speak outside and he refused. Tough shit, fat boy.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1