Mare of Easttown

TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

this goes back to Mare being a horrible person.  there was a way to handle that.  but to yell at him in earshot of his fiance, future stepson, daughter, etc.?  not cool.  but that's the way Mare operates. and that's why nobody likes her.

i hope it's not Deacon Mark.  that's too easy.  maybe he's covering for somebody.  Mare's cousin, Father Dan?

Spoiler

That baby looked more like Father Dan’s than Dillon’s given the color of the baby’s hair so I suspect Dan is the real father. But I don’t think he murdered Erin.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's the "kid" from American Horror Story Murder House, and I guess all the ones I didn't watch.

I think he specializes in weird.

Evan Peters is definitely offbeat but a solid actor.  I think the scene was meant to be awkward so now that she's thrown off the case, she won't feel comfortable hitting him up for information or intel or at least it'll be strange.  Or maybe the series is just too slow for him....

5ee9cf5a0f5bbfcfe2f52111fa7f8922.gif

I will throw out the fiancé of mare’s ex husband. Jealous he was screwing the dead girl?  

seemed strange when mare corrected the young cop so purposely not to rule out a female for the killer. 

may not coincide with the moving of the body but may not be an issue when they gave the weight of the victim and noted a cover up of fake sex assault with clothes missing but no vaginal bruising 

8 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

I will throw out the fiancé of mare’s ex husband. Jealous he was screwing the dead girl?  

seemed strange when mare corrected the young cop so purposely not to rule out a female for the killer. 

may not coincide with the moving of the body but may not be an issue when they gave the weight of the victim and noted a cover up of fake sex assault with clothes missing but no vaginal bruising 

The ex and that side seem pretty legit. You could see his reasoning coming from a mile away and he was very convincing. 

I appreciate night scenes which are properly lit. Great episode. LOL at the grandma. She was also great in The Watchmen.

Also, clothes hanging on stationary bike stored next to wall by grandma’s bed was on the money.

Kidnapper had blonde sideburns. Drives a van and has access to that bar. Probably youngish “is this your first time?” Is not necessarily the murderer

On 4/26/2021 at 11:25 AM, FunkSoulBrother said:

Good episode. Liking the show so far. 

Hide contents

That was my first thought. I also said it was the deacon to my wife before they hinted at it.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:39 AM, Native Horn said:

The fiancee as a suspect is an interesting thought.  I didn't pick up on that.

Hmm ... interesting. I could see it.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:26 PM, 4th&Five said:

That was pretty good!

We haven't watched last night's yet. I agree the deacon being the killer would be way too formulaic. But it's hard to reconcile him having Erin's bike and tossing it off the bridge if he's not involved in some way. That lends some credence to Mare's cousin priest being the killer or father of the kid.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:27 PM, bschoolprof said:

Great show so far.  Winslet is phenomenal.  

I have a bad feeling the writers are gonna fuck this up though.  That seems to be the HBO way as of late.  

since it's only 7 episodes, i think they can keep it on the rails.  now, if they decide to do a second season because this was so successful, then i'd be hesistant.

this is pretty funny.

https://www.vulture.com/article/mare-of-easttown-suspects-theories.html

54 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Show has been really good imo. I'm from Philly and now live here as well. The accents are pretty accurate, but not EVERYONE talks that way all the time, even in the small towns. This is also true:

This.

My dad's side of the family is from about 30 miles N of Delaware County.

I think Zabel gets the accent down pretty well.

I think the Wawa, Rolling Rock/Yuengling, hoagie and cheesesteak talk is a bit much. haha

I need to check with my cousins to see what they think.

18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Just getting started on this show, but the actress who plays Mare’s daughter was great in The Nice Guys. Definitely worth seeing if you never have.

love the nice guys.  great pick me up if you need a laugh.  plus.....margaret qualley.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I've never seen this show, but those of you who have what do you think? 

I'd watch the two dozen or so very good British murder mysteries, or the OG Twin Peaks, before that 

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

Well if Guy Pearce's character isn't the murderer/kidnapper or both, I'm not sure why he's in this story.

It's a classic Christie red herring, or worse, just a pointless distraction, like the daughter's love life.  

Edited by bschoolprof

4 hours ago, Bartles said:

I agree the plot is stumbling towards a pretty common "meh, that was OK" movie territory. But it's still a good watch, there are no wasted scenes or eyeroll dialogue.

Yeah, I think we're headed for shitty writing territory. Great visuals, great direction, great acting, shit writing . . . that's been HBO's model for a while.  

9 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

I watched the whole thing including season 3. It was dark, very dark. They should have wrapped up season one with what happened to the dead girl but instead dragged it out over 2 seasons that just seemed super looooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggg. 

Edited by Brandywine

It's a classic Christie red herring, or worse, just a pointless distraction, like the daughter's love life.  

I agree with Augustus. Now they’re setting up a Zobel vs Guy Pearce pursuit of Mare angle. Hasn’t Pearce’s character been in town a year? The first girl disappeared a year ago. I also don’t think Pearce takes the role to be an ancillary character in this cast. Jean Smart’s character is awesome.

22 hours ago, Fud said:

I'd watch the two dozen or so very good British murder mysteries, or the OG Twin Peaks, before that 

I like the British shows too, but I thought The Killing was great.  Would watch again.

And now thanks to @Catdaddyhorn I'm not going to get that comparison out of my head every Sunday while watching MoE.  That and Murder Durder.

Edited by Tom

I like the British shows too, but I thought The Killing was great.  Would watch again.
And now thanks to [mention=409]Catdaddyhorn[/mention] I'm not going to get that comparison out of my head every Sunday while watching MoE.  That and Murder Durder.

Broadchurch>>>>>>>The Killing
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 10:50 AM, bschoolprof said:

Spoiler

I have a feeling the daughter knows a little more about the death of Erin based off the scene with her then gf after she had an interview with Zabel. Her ex might share that as a retaliation.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I have a feeling the daughter knows a little more about the death of Erin based off the scene with her then gf after she had an interview with Zabel. Her ex might share that as a retaliation.

Good point. I think you might be right.  

Broadchurch>>>>>>>The Killing

Broadchurch was great.
The Killing sucked.
Mare of Easttown I’m still unsure about.

It does seem like Guy Pearce is the obvious choice for the kidnapper/killer, but I suppose that could also make him a great red herring if they are going a different route. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a True Detective situation where we don’t actually know the bad guy yet.

i don’t know how this will end, but gtfo with “the killing” being a great show. that was “the beating” to get through and had some structural flaws that drove everybody nuts. maybe it’s better to binge. 

and i say this as someone biased towards liking it. where is @Prepuce of Doom when you need him?

the accents are a little distracting but i am offer that. there are 2-3 different ways this can end satisfying. right now it seems to be going the way of “the undoing” which has every episode end with a different theory handed to the viewer. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Funny you should ask - I had a period of about 30 seconds a week or so ago when I was considering watching Mayors of Eastwick but the first thing I saw was some hindbrain on Twitter talking about how it was really good, but still not as good as The Killing, which, it turns out, is a tremendously effective shibboleth for determining whether a TV show is written by and/or for dullards and indiscriminates. 

Obviously, that's as far as my dalliance went. 

Instead, we're now watching Money Heist, which is also riven with plot holes and logistical Bondo, but it doesn't take itself seriously at all, and each wrinkle is fun and engaging and actually moves the plot at least diagonally, if not forward. It's a nonstop thrillride similar to Ozark in its "don't look too closely behind the curtain" veneer, but differs in that it features actual character development and relies on contrivances more tolerable than Ben the Moron Brother or Incompetent Ginger Detective. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
Fuck The Killing in the goatass.

Very solid episode

Watched 4 eps today after being kinda meh about the first one

this has a lot of The Killing vibes. A little bit of True Detective season one as well

Sucks for Zabol, but didn’t like the storyline of him falling for Mare