Mare of Easttown

TwiceHorn

I did not see that coming. I was a bit concerned that a twist was coming where Zabel would somehow be involved, mainly because my mind has become increasingly conditioned to try to predict the most nonsensical twist in these types of shows, but I guess that’s out the window.

We have 2 episodes left and the kidnapper is now dead, so Erin’s killer must be a separate person still at large.

They’ve done a good job of creating lots of unscrupulous characters that could be seen as suspects - the non-daddy baby daddy, the priest, Mare’s ex-husband, Mare’s friend’s cheating husband, the writer boyfriend. Just hope it’s not something stupid like her daughter.

ok, so parts of this post were really meant for after the first 1-2 eps, maybe 3rd, but i was behind, so i haven't really been able to post here at the right time.

i like this show a lot, there's a ton going on, and sometimes i'm playing catch up figuring out who is who and who's related to who, and what's going on, and i love that.  i don't want to be spoon-fed.  but there are a few things i've noticed as i'm watching that i have either questions about, or just wondering why these elements have been ignored.

-when they first found erin's body, it wasn't long before they saw the video of her getting beat up.  but we never really see what happens to the new girlfriend once she lawyers up.  and other than one high school boy going, "catfish", there's never any mention that she was lured up to the woods to meet a fake guy, and then ambushed.  cops would've/should've pushed much harder on that.  i understand backing away once they saw the cell phone ping 13 miles away, but before that, those kids playing the prank would've been prime suspects, as they had motive, opportunity, and um, were already beating the shit out of someone who looks like they got shoved down some rocks into a riverbank.

-also i didn't find it realistic that her daughter didn't call her asap and tell her she saw and spoke to erin.  it's a tiny town and everyone knows everyone (or is related to them).  the daughter has maybe the most sense of anyone in the show.  her mother is a detective.  she would've called or texted.  instead, she ignored 15 calls, making herself look sketchy, when she was the only one doing the right thing that night.

-erin was at her best friend's house right before she was found dead.  she was talking about some date she had (the catfish).  the friend's mom knew about it, they talked about getting her ready for the date.  when the friend and the mom were interviewed by the cops, they did not mention this at all.  was this an internet/hooker date?  it sure didn't seem like it, especially considering it was "hey, let's meet in the woods where your whole high school is hanging out".  if a girl turns up dead, and her best friend and her mom thinks she was "on a date with some new mysterious guy" that would be the absolute first thing investigated.  never mentioned.

-when we first see erin's body, we see a deadly gash on her forehead.  but when they're questioning kids, they ask about a gunshot.  then we hear about possible gunshot wounds, and the missing fingers, which leads to the whole dog scene (just so we know new cop has a crush on her).  did i miss the part where the m.e. said there was gunshot wounds, or that was a possible cause of death?  the way they rolled that out was awkward and the wife and i were like, "why are they asking about gunshots, did we miss a scene?"

-the county cop pops in to help.  seemingly from out of town.  definitely doesn't know everyone in town like mare does, and they made that very clear.  but...his reunion is in town, and his mother lives in town.  does he live with his mother?  in easttown?  sure didn't seem like it from the beginning.  would've been so easy to slip in a line about "are you staying at the days inn?"  "no, actually i grew up here, so i'm staying with my mother."  in a town that small, seemed odd that he was kinda an outsider, until he definitely wasn't.

(if i missed anything or forgot anything on the above, it's possible i'm just confused, so feel free to point shit out.  these episodes have all been consumed with bourbon, so yeah)

i agree that guy pierce's story of being there a few months would've precluded him from being the kidnapper (duh), and his timeline is easily checked, but i hope they didn't just bring him in to show the viewer how desirable mare is, even when she acts like a total asshole the majority of the time.  i was hoping that his experience being a "ladies man" would've shed some light on something for mare, but we'll see.  the priest, the ex, the shitbag father, his cousin, there's a lot to sift through, and that's great.  but how they sort it out will determine if this is a great show or not. 

i like that the guy who kidnaps girls was not one of the prime characters - would've made no sense if he was.  i like that they intro'd and exit'd him in the same episode.  well done.  it would be great if that case helps to solve erin's case, but somehow i doubt it.  and i don't really need to see cancer mom rejoicing and thanking mare.  i'll just assume that happened.  right now i'm thinking that a lot of people interacted in a weird-but-not-murdery way with erin the night she died, and i really hope it wasn't just an accident or a total unrelated wildcard, like the daughter or the junkie daughter-in-law.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

ok, so parts of this post were really meant for after the first 1-2 eps, maybe 3rd, but i was behind, so i haven't really been able to post here at the right time.

i like this show a lot, there's a ton going on, and sometimes i'm playing catch up figuring out who is who and who's related to who, and what's going on, and i love that.  i don't want to be spoon-fed.  but there are a few things i've noticed as i'm watching that i have either questions about, or just wondering why these elements have been ignored.

-when they first found erin's body, it wasn't long before they saw the video of her getting beat up.  but we never really see what happens to the new girlfriend once she lawyers up.  and other than one high school boy going, "catfish", there's never any mention that she was lured up to the woods to meet a fake guy, and then ambushed.  cops would've/should've pushed much harder on that.  i understand backing away once they saw the cell phone ping 13 miles away, but before that, those kids playing the prank would've been prime suspects, as they had motive, opportunity, and um, were already beating the shit out of someone who looks like they got shoved down some rocks into a riverbank.

-also i didn't find it realistic that her daughter didn't call her asap and tell her she saw and spoke to erin.  it's a tiny town and everyone knows everyone (or is related to them).  the daughter has maybe the most sense of anyone in the show.  her mother is a detective.  she would've called or texted.  instead, she ignored 15 calls, making herself look sketchy, when she was the only one doing the right thing that night.

-erin was at her best friend's house right before she was found dead.  she was talking about some date she had (the catfish).  the friend's mom knew about it, they talked about getting her ready for the date.  when the friend and the mom were interviewed by the cops, they did not mention this at all.  was this an internet/hooker date?  it sure didn't seem like it, especially considering it was "hey, let's meet in the woods where your whole high school is hanging out".  if a girl turns up dead, and her best friend and her mom thinks she was "on a date with some new mysterious guy" that would be the absolute first thing investigated.  never mentioned.

-when we first see erin's body, we see a deadly gash on her forehead.  but when they're questioning kids, they ask about a gunshot.  then we hear about possible gunshot wounds, and the missing fingers, which leads to the whole dog scene (just so we know new cop has a crush on her).  did i miss the part where the m.e. said there was gunshot wounds, or that was a possible cause of death?  the way they rolled that out was awkward and the wife and i were like, "why are they asking about gunshots, did we miss a scene?"

-the county cop pops in to help.  seemingly from out of town.  definitely doesn't know everyone in town like mare does, and they made that very clear.  but...his reunion is in town, and his mother lives in town.  does he live with his mother?  in easttown?  sure didn't seem like it from the beginning.  would've been so easy to slip in a line about "are you staying at the days inn?"  "no, actually i grew up here, so i'm staying with my mother."  in a town that small, seemed odd that he was kinda an outsider, until he definitely wasn't.

(if i missed anything or forgot anything on the above, it's possible i'm just confused, so feel free to point shit out.  these episodes have all been consumed with bourbon, so yeah)

i agree that guy pierce's story of being there a few months would've precluded him from being the kidnapper (duh), and his timeline is easily checked, but i hope they didn't just bring him in to show the viewer how desirable mare is, even when she acts like a total asshole the majority of the time.  i was hoping that his experience being a "ladies man" would've shed some light on something for mare, but we'll see.  the priest, the ex, the shitbag father, his cousin, there's a lot to sift through, and that's great.  but how they sort it out will determine if this is a great show or not. 

i like that the guy who kidnaps girls was not one of the prime characters - would've made no sense if he was.  i like that they intro'd and exit'd him in the same episode.  well done.  it would be great if that case helps to solve erin's case, but somehow i doubt it.  and i don't really need to see cancer mom rejoicing and thanking mare.  i'll just assume that happened.  right now i'm thinking that a lot of people interacted in a weird-but-not-murdery way with erin the night she died, and i really hope it wasn't just an accident or a total unrelated wildcard, like the daughter or the junkie daughter-in-law.

Erin's friend is obviously being sketchy now.  Likely was sketchy before.  

Even though the wound looked like a contusion they said it was a gunshot from the beginning.

City cop vs. county cop is a thing in smaller jurisdictions that we don't see as much I guess coming from massive cities.  Maybe he went to highschool in a smaller spot in the county?

two episodes left to wrap up Erin's murder.  i am glad they got a win in the Katie Bailey disappearance.  Dawn the cancer-stricken mom will get some good news.  she, like everybody else in that god-forsaken town, needs it.

we know John Ross is having an affair with the "same woman" as before.  wonder if it's a rando we never meet or someone we know about (Roy's fiancee Fay, maybe?).

was the death of Betty Carroll solely to set up the joke about Mare's mom had an affair with the husband?  she had been complaining about a peeping Tom.  then she dies in a car crash?  we don't need more gratuitous deaths just to set up one LOL moment.

i expect Mare to take the Rolling Rock bottle in to get some DNA on Billy Ross.  he may be Erin's kid's baby daddy.  killer?  my money is on Dylan.

I assumed that Zabel was from a different town elsewhere in the county. He seems fairly local because it’s easy for Mare to show up at his house (his mom’s house), but he actually lives in a different town nearby and that’s why he was an outsider. Not sure about his reunion being at the Easttown bar though.

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I assumed that Zabel was from a different town elsewhere in the county. He seems fairly local because it’s easy for Mare to show up at his house (his mom’s house), but he actually lives in a different town nearby and that’s why he was an outsider. Not sure about his reunion being at the Easttown bar though.

yeah, it's hard to explain what goes through my brain when i watch a new show, but it often gets me in trouble on this board.

i find a show that isn't going to spell everything out, a show that wants to drop bread crumbs and let me do some of the heavy lifting to figure shit out.  but then when i engage and find little inconsistencies or confusing things that shouldn't be confusing, i often get hit with, "can't you just enjoy a great tv show for what it is?"

he came in from county pd, had a bit of a reputation (he solved the so-and-so case), and the looks he gave when mare seemed to know everyone and vice-versa - they wanted us to think he was an outsider (though prob not as much as edmund exley from syracuse).  but then they have him living (permanently or otherwise) with his mother not far from mare, and getting drunk at his hs reunion with the localist of local easttown bars, so what, he can get drunk and hit on her?

like i said in my needlessly long rant-post, they could've explained his situation in one throwaway line, but they chose not to.  now he dead, so it probably won't matter.

I'm a little bit with you on that, but I'm more concerned about the idea that an ex-husband would willingly buy a house that shares a back fence with his ex-wife. That's harder for me to wrap my mind around, so maybe the details of Zabel's residence didn't register as high.

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

there's a smaller spot in that county?

It's Delaware County in Philly.  It's huge, full of little townships that are distinct in name, but kinda similar demographically.  Shares a border with the state of Delaware, Philly County, Montgomery County, and Chester County (Delco, Philco, Montco, Chesco for short).  Think Houston with Fort Bend, Brazoria, Harris, Montgomery, etc.

spg_region_phl.png

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

was the death of Betty Carroll solely to set up the joke about Mare's mom had an affair with the husband?  she had been complaining about a peeping Tom.  then she dies in a car crash?  we don't need more gratuitous deaths just to set up one LOL moment.

The actress who portrayed Betty (Phyllis Somerville) died in mid-2020.  Maybe she died during filming so they killed her off?  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

It's Delaware County in Philly.  It's huge, full of little townships that are distinct in name, but kinda similar demographically.  Shares a border with the state of Delaware, Philly County, Montgomery County, and Chester County (Delco, Philco, Montco, Chesco for short).  Think Houston with Fort Bend, Brazoria, Harris, Montgomery, etc.

spg_region_phl.png

Yeah, people keep calling this a "small town."  I guess it is small, but it's probably contiguous with other small towns/suburbs all the way into Philly.  A lot of the NE is like that.  And, yeah, Texas burbs are somewhat analogous, but these are smaller and there is no space between them, as a rule.  You go down the highway and it's "now entering/leaving" continuously every 5 or 10 miles for probably 100 miles.

Like you've probably heard of Main Line Philadelphia.  Well, that isn't even Phildelphia proper, it's a series of towns or townships along a railroad line:  Upper Merion, Lower Merion, etc. etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

to this point, Mare just learned for the first time in episode 5 that Erin lived with the much older Billy Ross for several months because things were bad with Erin and her dad?  Mare seems to know everything that everybody in that town does.  but she didn't know that?  and nobody thought to tell her until now?

I’m stuck on the description of the kidnapper given by the girl in the cafe.  Blue van.  Winstons.  Beard.  

No beard on the dude Mare got.  Somewhat spurious connection on the other two.  It’s a team effort and I think that dude is still out there.

Good job above explaining the small northeastern town layouts. It's definitely believable to never encounter a family that lives like two miles away for generations. The metro area has millions of people, they might talk and act alike but don't necessarily go to the same schools, churches, bars, etc.

10 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

I’m stuck on the description of the kidnapper given by the girl in the cafe.  Blue van.  Winstons.  Beard.  

No beard on the dude Mare got.  Somewhat spurious connection on the other two.  It’s a team effort and I think that dude is still out there.

good point. he likely has a partner. 

good point. he likely has a partner. 

The only issue there is that Katie Bailey refers to her captor as “he” and not “they”, so if the dead kidnapper guy has a partner, the partner must not interact with the girls much.

I’m leaning towards Erin’s killer being a second person who is mostly unrelated to the kidnapper.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

The only issue there is that Katie Bailey refers to her captor as “he” and not “they”, so if the dead kidnapper guy has a partner, the partner must not interact with the girls much.

I’m leaning towards Erin’s killer being a second person who is mostly unrelated to the kidnapper.

i think he's the only one who interacts with the girls, but i wouldn't be surprised if there's a second dude on the prowl and doing the actual abducting.  in real life, the beard actually being slight stubble wouldn't be a big deal, but in this show i think it might be.  they mentioned he has people over for poker night, so he obviously interacts with at least 1-2 other dirtbags.  possibly the sketchy cousin who said "who wants another round" and then left before he took a sip of his beer, because that's a baller move to waste an entire fucking rolling rock you think i'm made of money??

i also think/hope that the murder is unrelated.  like i (think i) said earlier, this will likely be the case that several people had interactions with erin the night she died, but the murder itself either ends up being accidental/coincidental (something unrelated to motive).  possibly something to cover up something else and things went bad.  there have been so many of these shows, it's really hard to roll out an ending that makes the viewer go "oooohhhhhhh, holy shit that makes total sense and i did not see that coming!"

the best friend and the would-be baby daddy are definitely wrapped up in some of the plot in the next episode.  i wonder if the dad of the first teenager girl arrested will come back around.  he was a peach.  

On 5/16/2021 at 10:42 PM, huge said:

That ending certainly had TSOTL vibes eh?

Told my wife the same thing. So many similarities.

And Erin's killer is definitely a separate thing, I think that's obvious now.

Deacon Mark and Richard the writer-  Were at the top of my list a couple episodes in.  I don't think either of them did it though.

Dylan/Jess- They're fucking dirt balls and are involved in something.  Murder?  I don't know.

John Ross- cheater..not a murderer

Billy Ross- sure got the fuck out of dodge once it came to light that Erin lived with him for a couple months.  Leaving DNA on the Rolling Rock wasn't a smooth move. Agree with whoever said that not getting mentioned until now seems far fetched

Father Dan?

Frank?

Kenny, her dad?

Told my wife the same thing. So many similarities.
And Erin's killer is definitely a separate thing, I think that's obvious now.
Deacon Mark and Richard the writer-  Were at the top of my list a couple episodes in.  I don't think either of them did it though.
Dylan/Jess- They're fucking dirt balls and are involved in something.  Murder?  I don't know.
John Ross- cheater..not a murderer
Billy Ross- sure got the fuck out of dodge once it came to light that Erin lived with him for a couple months.  Leaving DNA on the Rolling Rock wasn't a smooth move. Agree with whoever said that not getting mentioned until now seems far fetched
Father Dan?
Frank?
Kenny, her dad?

I didnt catch the Rolling Rock as DNA, but that makes sense. Initially I thought she was noticing he was abandoning his beer, which had never happened in his lifetime.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

A lot of heading for shitty writing and broke ass Sharp Objects takes in this thread owe Mare an apology. The last two episodes could be nothing but Mare taking a shit and this show would still be worth the watch. 

Let's not spike the football at the 5 yard line. 

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

I didnt catch the Rolling Rock as DNA, but that makes sense. Initially I thought she was noticing he was abandoning his beer, which had never happened in his lifetime.

Could be for sure.  Bringing up Erin spooked him so bad, he left his beer.  Actually that's probably more plausible given the community's propensity for drinking shitty regional PA beers.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

it's most likely this.  could be both, but definitely this.  like i said, he was the one who got up and asked if anyone needed another.

On 5/16/2021 at 10:47 PM, Pablo said:

Very solid episode

Watched 4 eps today after being kinda meh about the first one

this has a lot of The Killing vibes. A little bit of True Detective season one as well

Sucks for Zabol, but didn’t like the storyline of him falling for Mare

Agree with all this. I also binged it.  Saw ep 1 and waited few days to decide on giving another try. Then watched ep 2-5 back to back. 

Zabol falling for her was easy but guess they wanted to add another strike on her personal life for men dying around her. 
Dude got sloppy letting that girl get away from the van. Fuck him. 

I had started thinking it was a combo of men involved.  Or some underground sick thing when they mentioned “he has poker nights”. 
Guess they can check video cameras to see what visitors he has had.

Curious what that Billy knows..obviously squirrelly when asked about Erin staying w him.  But he may just know something. Not a killer.  By now the show has tried to paint everyone as a suspect to something.  

Edited by utxmike05

still think Siobhan is gonna drop a truth bomb in the next episode.

whatever Jess took from the diary could have some interesting intel.

gotta say, i do like having shows that don't dump all the episodes at once.  right now, we watch Mare on Sunday and The Handmaid's Tale on Wednesday.  good little schedule for a few more weeks.

8 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

gotta say, i do like having shows that don't dump all the episodes at once.  right now, we watch Mare on Sunday and The Handmaid's Tale on Wednesday.  good little schedule for a few more weeks.

I think you'll see more of it. It keeps the audience engaged, builds much more word of mouth, and for certain genres, gets free 3rd party marketing via Youtube channels dissecting each episode, unlike when it is dumped all at once.  Look at Shadow and Bones, a great Netflix show that no one remembers because it came out a month ago.

Scenes typically don’t get included for shits and giggles... there will be a resolution to the bullet found in the tree. Ballistics will come back... and the bullet comes from a gun owned by the city of Easttown Police Department.. registered to Mare Sheehan.

Siobhan Sheehan is the killer of Erin McMenamin.

6 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Scenes typically don’t get included for shits and giggles... there will be a resolution to the bullet found in the tree. Ballistics will come back... and the bullet comes from a gun owned by the city of Easttown Police Department.. registered to Mare Sheehan.

Siobhan Sheehan is the killer of Erin McMenamin.

Interesting, but perhaps a bit of a far-fetched theory.  What would be her motive?

5 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Interesting, but perhaps a bit of a far-fetched theory.  What would be her motive?

Not sure, but she’s one of the last people to see her alive (other than creepy deacon), she may know about Erin and her Dad, perhaps she’s had a relationship with Erin... but I also do sense something is up with Frank Sheehan’s new fiancé, I found it odd in the early episodes how they kept portraying her as some sort of saint. The deacon cousin is also a possibility as both baby daddy and murderer, and he also could have access to a weapon at Mare’s house.

I just obviously think the bullet comes back as Mare’s 🤣. It would be a great cliffhanger for the penultimate episode.

• Like 1