Another police shooting. This one in Columbus, OH

Parliament

Cops shoot a 16 year old girl fighting with some other kids. (She had a knife.)  They released the body cam vid already, which I think is a good thing.

In an unprecedented move, Columbus police showed body camera footage of the shooting of a 16-year-old girl by a Columbus police officer just hours after the incident.

The video shows an officer approaching a driveway with a group of young people standing there. In the video, it appears that the 16-year-old, identified now as Ma’Khia Bryant, who was moments later shot by police, pushes or swings at a person who falls to the ground.

Bryant then appears to swing a knife at a girl who is on the hood of a car, and the officer fires his weapon what sounds like four times, striking the girl.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2021/04/20/one-person-killed-officer-involved-shooting-east-side/7309088002/

Bodycam vid.  Warning, it shows the shooting.

Edited by Parliament

Ben Crump is the attorney for Daunte Wright, and below has been retweeted all afternoon and used as a rallying cry for all the protest groups this evening.  He knows exactly what he is doing.

Just like the Chicago shooting, if you watch the video you see how fast it happened.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1

Difficult to know exactly what's going on here, but the dead stabber girl looks like she was maybe trying to protect herself and property under duress (along with an older friend/brother(?) who was way out of line in trying to kick/stomp that chick on the ground regardless.

I wish there were some other guaranteed way to have stopped her without using deadly force, but that looks like it was a justifiable police shooting from my untrained and unknowledgeable eye. We need Star Trek-like phasers that just immediately stun people and put them to fucking sleep. Do we have that kind of technology? Doubt it, and maybe it's not possible. I've never been tasered, but they don't seem to work that way on a reliable basis. Some brainiac with a STEM degree (certainly not me) needs to get on that shit, stat. It'd probably save a lot of lives and grief in these situations.

There need to be more options than just kill 'em all and let the system work itself out. Yes, I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Difficult to know exactly what's going on here, but the dead stabber girl looks like she was maybe trying to protect herself and property under duress (along with an older friend/brother(?) who was way out of line in trying to kick/stomp that chick on the ground regardless.

I wish there were some other guaranteed way to have stopped her without using deadly force, but that looks like it was a justifiable police shooting from my untrained and unknowledgeable eye. We need Star Trek-like phasers that just immediately stun people and put them to fucking sleep. Do we have that kind of technology? Doubt it, and maybe it's not possible. I've never been tasered, but they don't seem to work that way on a reliable basis. Some brainiac with a STEM degree (certainly not me) needs to get on that shit, stat. It'd probably save a lot of lives and grief in these situations.

There need to be more options than just kill 'em all and let the system work itself out. Yes, I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

We don’t have anything like that. We don’t have tranq darts to shoot people. Nothing that will incapacitate you that fast that I can think of that isn’t potentially lethal. The responding officer (also) shooter rolls up on a scene of domestic violence. Yet in the right corner of the screen you see a bunch of pretty sizeable dudes. Watching this shit go down prior to the call. And are standing around while this shit is going down. Loss of life is in no way the best way. I sincerely doubt that’s how the officer wanted this to go down. Big differnce in this situation  versus far too many others. Not all shootings are the same IMO. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

We don’t have anything like that. We don’t have tranq darts to shoot people. Nothing that will incapacitate you that fast that I can think of that isn’t potentially lethal. The responding officer (also) shooter rolls up on a scene of domestic violence. Yet in the right corner of the screen you see a bunch of pretty sizeable dudes. Watching this shit go down prior to the call. And are standing around while this shit is going down. Loss of life is in no way the best way. I sincerely doubt that’s how the officer wanted this to go down. Big differnce in this situation  versus far too many others. Not all shootings are the same IMO. 

No doubt, and no argument from me. I'm just vocalizing a general weariness and expression of hope that maybe we can someday find ourselves out of this awfulness. While I recognize human nature won't change anytime soon, I do hope that we can find ways (technology or techniques) to not be so lethal in ending situations that are most likely the result of some stupid, petty shit where people are losing their heads. Just to be clear and to reiterate, I think the responding cop's actions were justifiable from what I can tell. 

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

No doubt, and no argument from me. I'm just vocalizing a general weariness and expression of hope that maybe we can someday find ourselves out of this awfulness. While I recognize human nature won't change anytime soon, I do hope that we can find ways (technology or techniques) to not be so lethal in ending situations that are most likely the result of some stupid, petty shit where people are losing their heads. Just to be clear and to reiterate, I think the responding cop's actions were justifiable from what I can tell. 

I 100% agree with you. 

another one much closer to home - harris county

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Family-believes-Marcelo-Garcia-was-unarmed-prior-16113118.php

The family of a man shot and killed by a Harris County Sheriff’s Office deputy during an apparent mental health crisis wants the agency to hasten the release of footage taken by the lawman’s body-worn camera during the encounter.

Jessica Garza-Godinez said she believes the footage will provide “a clear vision of what happened” to her 46-year-old brother, Marcelo Garcia, who had a history of mental illness. Speaking Monday from FIEL Houston headquarters, her family’s attorneys said they believe the video will show that Garcia was unarmed — contradicting the police narrative that Garcia had a knife.

Bianca De Lachica, the family’s lawyer, said the wife called the mental health unit — rather than 911 directly — to report her husband’s behavior, like she had done in the past. The lawyers did not provide the number she dialed. Sheriff’s spokesman Jason Spencer, however, said each of the emergency calls from the Sunflower Prairie home were to Precinct 3 of the Harris County Constable’s Office, whose officials then transferred the call to their dispatchers.

“Unlike previous episodes where several mental health professionals responded, this time — it is believed that a single inexperienced sheriff’s deputy arrived and escalated the situation, which resulted in the shooting death of Marcelo Garcia in front of his wife and young daughters,” De Lachica said. “A solo law enforcement officer should have never been sent to respond to that call.”

Click2Houston's video release shows multiple police trained their guns on Marcelo...

And here's the actual, full-length video:

1. guy instantly charged at police when the door is knocked

2. guy clearly had a fucking knife in his hand

3. police completely non-aggressive, backing up the entire time,

4. police deployed taser, did fuck-all

5. police ran backwards for rounds until he had to shoot

but hey, the lawyer, and the family who were there to witness everything in full sight would never lie right? 

yes, very tragic, but if a 'mental health professional' had responded in this situation, there'd be a bleeding or dead mental health professional on the news.

• Hook 'Em 7

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/04/14/deputy-shoots-kills-knife-wielding-man-in-northeast-harris-county-authorities-say/

The family of Marcelo Garcia announced Thursday plans to file a wrongful death lawsuit after Garcia was shot and killed by a deputy while suffering a mental health crisis.

Bianca Calderón de Lachica Law Firm will represent the surviving family and the estate of Marcelo Garcia to pursue the charges against all responsible parties. The family and the attorneys will hold a press conference in Houston Thursday.

The family said Garcia was a devoted husband, father and son, who suffered from mental conditions.

“It is our mission to prevent the open season killing of marginalized and disenfranchised individuals who suffer from mental diseases,” the law firm wrote in a press release. “Contrary to what the media has expressed, Mr. Garcia’s family is adamant that he was not armed, nor are they aware of any knife being recovered after two fatal gunshots were fired.”

Yeah naw people never stoke falsehoods around these issues do they

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Will be the worst consequence of Chauvin. 

Blake got a million, but if the police don’t show up when the victim calls for help we may have a Broderick situation there instead of what transpired. 

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Blake got a million, but if the police don’t show up when the victim calls for help we may have a Broderick situation there instead of what transpired. 

"open season killing of marginalized and disenfranchised individuals "  sounds a lot like the language repeated on this site.  no doubt they will gain automatic credence despite being utter bullshit 99.98% of instances then, and still 99.98% of instances now.

Sad story. 16 year old girl in foster care while her family is still in the picture since they are quoted in the story. Something odd is going on in that family since most children live with a parent. There is most likely a far amount of anger in her because of these circumstances, and children don’t always understand the consequences of their actions.

once the police are on the scene, you don’t want to throw a punch much less attempt to stab someone.

my guess is that we won’t see much in terms of protests in this case now that the video has been released. She might have been the sweetest girl in the world who wanted to be a pediatric nurse but that doesn’t mean much when you are attempting to murder someone in front of a cop. Another example why it’s a good thing for cops to have body cams.

• Like 4

I don't know if people get to complain about bringing a knife to a fist fight getting trumped by bringing a gun to a knife right here, but this is just sad all around. 

I said this in another thread, but what the fuck is going on with this post covid world? Everyone just wants to kill each other and fuck each other up? We reopen fully and everyone starts stabbing shooting and killing each other again. 

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't know if people get to complain about bringing a knife to a fist fight getting trumped by bringing a gun to a knife right here, but this is just sad all around. 

I said this in another thread, but what the fuck is going on with this post covid world? Everyone just wants to kill each other and fuck each other up? We reopen fully and everyone starts stabbing shooting and killing each other again. 

Making up for lost time, we have riots, mass shootings,  black people being killed by cops, but all that is left is for school shootings. I'd argue that it's the American dream brother! 

Sad story. 16 year old girl in foster care while her family is still in the picture since they are quoted in the story. Something odd is going on in that family since most children live with a parent. There is most likely a far amount of anger in her because of these circumstances, and children don’t always understand the consequences of their actions.
once the police are on the scene, you don’t want to throw a punch much less attempt to stab someone.
my guess is that we won’t see much in terms of protests in this case now that the video has been released. She might have been the sweetest girl in the world who wanted to be a pediatric nurse but that doesn’t mean much when you are attempting to murder someone in front of a cop. Another example why it’s a good thing for cops to have body cams.

You can watch her mom talk to the media moments after her daughter was gunned down. Very little emotion. Could be shock but jfc if you asked me who she was talking about before knowing..the last person I’d guess would be her own daughter.

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Do you really think a year of heightened isolation would do anything good for anybodys mental health or financial/life stability? Throw in an attempted fascist coup that's still denied by almost half the country, and baby you got a civil unrest gumbo going

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Do you really think a year of heightened isolation would do anything good for anybodys mental health or financial/life stability? Throw in an attempted fascist coup that's still denied by almost half the country, and baby you got a civil unrest gumbo going

Yeah. People spending more time on the internet won't make them more empathetic to others. This can be especially true for angry children that have been behind a screen for months.

If I had to guess, this fight had something meaningless behind it. Something of no value stolen or someone looked at someone else's boyfriend. Now someone is dead.

This story will have all of the elements that at least one cable news channel will love to discuss in depth today.

Yeah, this one just looks tragic from what little I've seen.  Was the victim fighting back in self-defense?  I don't know yet, I think that still needs to be sorted out.  But when a cop sees a person actively lunging at another with a knife....it is justifiable force to use force to protect the life of another.

This may be tragic, awful, and a shitty, shitty circumstance....but still legally justifiable.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, this one just looks tragic from what little I've seen.  Was the victim fighting back in self-defense?  I don't know yet, I think that still needs to be sorted out.  But when a cop sees a person actively lunging at another with a knife....it is justifiable force to use force to protect the life of another.

This may be tragic, awful, and a shitty, shitty circumstance....but still legally justifiable.  

You just saved me a bunch of typing.  QFT.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

Thing on using a taser in this situation is the cop just rolled up. The girl who got shot may not be the only threat here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

How do police not understand that they can just shoot the knife out of the person’s hand?

What about throwing stars (can we still call them Chinese Stars carried by Japanese Ninjas)?  Police arrive, throw one right at the wrist of the knife-wielder, and everybody gets to home at night safely.  Plus, not even the dumbest female Minneapolis cop can mistake a Chinese Star for her service weapon.  

48 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You think these people raising hell and getting shot are in any way upset about Gen Viking Hat? Cmon. 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

wait, are you saying that because Chauvin was convicted of murder, cops will stop doing their jobs?

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, fuggled said:

Last night I saw reporting that the dead girl is the one who called the police because she felt threatened at her house. Has anyone seen that confirmed?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

pretty bad idea to call the cops and be in the act of trying to murder someone with a knife when they show up.

who knows what the hell happened there, but if your use of force is justified in protecting yourself or your property, probably a good idea to stop plunging sharp steel into another human when the cops show up with guns drawn.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

wait, are you saying that because Chauvin was convicted of murder, cops will stop doing their jobs?

No. I’m saying now every shooting uses the jump to conclusions mat to simply assume it’s another cop randomly shooting a person of color. As was shown in the quoted post on this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I wish there could have been no loss of life there but shit. That’s a clean shoot. Feel free to disagree. They have been as transparent as they can be. 
https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/person-in-critical-condition-following-officer-involved-shooting-4-20-2021

NO way they release the footage that quickly unless they feel it's 100% justified.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No. I’m saying now every shooting uses the jump to conclusions mat to simply assume it’s another cop randomly shooting a person of color. As was shown in the quoted post on this thread. 

gotcha. the chauvin verdict wasn't some watershed moment where before there weren't societal leeches using events to push an agenda and now all of the sudden there are.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Of course not. He just had to interject it. Can't help himself.

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

You think these people raising hell and getting shot are in any way upset about Gen Viking Hat? Cmon. 

oh put your snowflakes back in the freezer. There's been numerous other posters in DT comparing the mental/emotional toll from civil unrest due to police brutality to what happened on Jan 6th. It's all up in the "what does the recent conviction mean to you?" thread, go clutch your oakleys at them if it's such a sensitive issue for you to recall

18 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Actually it's been going on for a lot longer, yes, they've stopped doing their jobs. It's not worth losing your pension and possibly freedom freedom when the media, leadership, and thus most of the population is against you. In New York they now only even show up if there's a victim, and they are going to take their sweet time and avoid interaction with the criminal at all costs. This was 10 months ago.

Watching the video the cop arrives on scene and sees two fights:

1. woman on ground with guy starting to head towards her to stomp her head
  2. two women fighting.

The fact he zeroed in on the two women, saw the knife and the movement of the arm to cause deadly harm and reacted that fast without hitting the lady in pink is pretty spectacular.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

There is at least anecdotal evidence that police departments (including the Columbus PD) have significantly decreased patrols in black neighborhoods and that response times to reports of violent crimes in those neighborhoods have increased significantly.  In Columbus, there has been talk of police basically abandoning Linden (the poorest black neighborhood in the city). 

There has been significant attention given to the "post-pandemic" violence but the murder rate was already up almost 40% in 2020.  In Columbus, black male homicide victims increased from 58 in 2019 to 84 in 2020, a 50% increase, and half of those murders didn't result in any arrest.  Murder without consequences yields more murder.    

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

oh put your snowflakes back in the freezer. There's been numerous other posters in DT comparing the mental/emotional toll from civil unrest due to police brutality to what happened on Jan 6th. It's all up in the "what does the recent conviction mean to you?" thread, go clutch your oakleys at them if it's such a sensitive issue for you to recall

We’re specifically talking about increased violent crime and gun violence. If you rate how much something has contributed to that on a scale of 1-10, I’d put a year of social/family isolation and financial hardship at about a 9.5. And I’d put the idiots from January 6th at about 0.25, and that’s being generous. Don’t be so stupid. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1