Another police shooting. This one in Columbus, OH

Parliament

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yall who don't want cloak room in the daily texan really like bringing the cloak room into the daily texan.

i'm going to have a think about how to treat this thread, but don't be surprised if some posts are moved around lunchtime.

Damnit! It’s my fault! Please don’t cloak people or give neg points to posters. I will take the warning points. People need an outlet damnit. 

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i'll take it under advisement.

you should report captainant posts you feel are political. also, feel free to report any of my posts you feel are offside. i won't take it personally, and i'll let @immamac and @blacklab handle it.

i just think it's a real problem that needs some more attention. i'm also open to feedback about how to handle it. 

either make the right wing dudes post their totally not political stuff in cloak room or give them an official safe space to do it in that isn't the main news board. if you can disable or neuter rep in CR do it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I have now watched this shitty video 9 times. She was attacking both women with a knife. Cop should have fired in the air on the shooting trying to save a life. What were the guys who were bitching about the shooting doing? Nada. 

Firing a pistol in the air in an urban area, or any area for that matter, is dangerous.  Maybe he should have shot her in the leg like our expert Joe Biden has suggested.  Or, if the cop had a double barrel shotgun, he could have fired two blasts in the air to warn people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

either make the right wing dudes post their totally not political stuff in cloak room or give them an official safe space to do it in that isn't the main news board. if you can disable or neuter rep in CR do it.

Why does someone who doesn't agree in lockstep with everything you do have to be Right Wing?  Therein lies your problem.  

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The outcry at the media is laughable. The media is a business that do everything they can to get you to click/read an article.  If you hate misleading articles from a certain media outlet, stop clicking on them.

FYI, I'm reading CNN's home page that says police shot and killed a teen holding a knife. Right there in the headline.

How is it laughable? I understand they are out to get clicks. But when they are intentionally dishonest they should be called out for it. Yeah. You can stop clicking their links, but that's not the sole method to affect change.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yall who don't want cloak room in the daily texan really like bringing the cloak room into the daily texan.

i'm going to have a think about how to treat this thread, but don't be surprised if some posts are moved around lunchtime.

Everything about the Iraq War should be gone. I actually wanted to just see an update on this story, not Bill Clinton’s view of Saddam Hussein. 

1 minute ago, cabowabo said:

Firing a pistol in the air in an urban area, or any area for that matter, is dangerous.  Maybe he should have shot her in the leg like our expert Joe Biden has suggested.  Or, if the cop had a double barrel shotgun, he could have fired two blasts in the air to warn people.

Brachial nerve is where I wish. It was a good shoot and am sorry she is dead. Politics have nothing to do with it. As far as I am aware.

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So was the girl that was shot the one who called the cops for help? Was she using the knife to protect herself while waiting for the cops to arrive? Did the cop really have time to say "hey what's going on here" before shooting? This is a tough one, but I have to believe there are ways to deescalate, and it's especially sad if the girl was the one calling for help. I've read that but haven't seen it confirmed. Just adds to the notion to never call the cops for help.

I think it's too early to know a lot of these answers. But even if she was the one who made the call, she certainly appears to have become the aggressor by the time she was shot. Unfortunately, the body cam doesn't show what the girl in pink was doing right before the cop turns that direction, but we do know that the dead girl was charging the girl in pink and preparing to thrust the knife. I wouldn't call that "protecting" oneself. Hopefully we eventually get more camera angles. Looks like there were at least two other officers there so hopefully at least one of them was facing the right direction

32 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You don't think that maybe she was swinging the knife to keep them away? If she was intent on stabbing them, wouldn't she likely have done it much earlier? What are the odds that the exact moment the cops arrived was the exact moment she was ready to stab? I'll wait on more confirmation, but if she called the cops for help and had either taken the knife from the aggressors or was using it to protect herself, it is maybe the saddest situation of all. 

Then why was she apparently advancing on the other girl who was backed up to a car with nowhere else to go.  Further, the girl with the knife, from the photo, was aggressively pulling back as if to stab/attack.  Not holding the knife out in front of you to deter anyone entering into your space.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Not only dangerous, but illegal.  Cops know that.  

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

I don't think the fact that elements of the media are actively distorting reality to suggest that police shot an unarmed black 15 year old girl in the immediate wake of the Chauvin verdict is laughable at all.  

Nope. And it’s not just media. 

Lol wut

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I saw online that NPR led with "girl calls police for help and they kill her".

If she had just remembered to tell the 911 operator to let the cops know she was the one who would be brandishing a knife, trying to stab people, this all could have been avoided. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Yeah obviously he can't do that, but the sound of a fired weapon definitely has a chilling affect on people.

I'm sure there was bad reporting, but the stories I read about it yesterday all reported facts that as far as I know are still true. The girl called 911, she was shot and killed, and then quoted her relatives saying a bunch of stuff that didn't turn out to be true. Reporting what witnesses and family members say is not bad reporting, it's factual.

Now twitter personalities being dumb is just standard operating procedure.

Also, as soon as the police released the body cam footage so quickly everyone should have realized that they acted appropriately in the situation. Which, of course, should mean that more people now realize that when the police suppress body cam footage as long as possible that means they know they screwed up.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Why does someone who doesn't agree in lockstep with everything you do have to be Right Wing?  Therein lies your problem.  

im pro higher tax, pro abortion, pro drug legalization, pro social net, anti war/defense, anti civil forfeiture, anti qual immunity, and a mixed-marriage minority to boot, and ive been accused of being a right winger trumpist.

thats how fucking stupid these CR vermints are

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I saw online that NPR led with "girl calls police for help and they kill her".

It says that that story is from her family, and the article says they have not confirmed. I know some will still hate it, but the headline is accurate.

image.png.681fd52eb7636586461a0fba1920fc09.png

• Hook 'Em 1

So it can be done?

the guy wasn't actively stabbing or in close(a few feet) of anyone when they did that.  he had attempted to stab some people earlier.

Yep, timing and distance matters. If the knife is a split second from going into someone, it’s a different calculus.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

So it can be done?

From 30 seconds of research...

The guy was not in the act of stabbing anyone, the police attempted to negotiate with him to put the knife down, he refused and they ultimately used flash bangs. Of course, that's the story the police gave so it might not be entirely accurate, but even if it's only kind of true, it's still 100% different than what happened here.

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Everything about the Iraq War should be gone. I actually wanted to just see an update on this story, not Bill Clinton’s view of Saddam Hussein. 

FWIW, I'm sorry for that derail of the thread. It was intended to just be commenting along with the "media is lying to us" trope

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

FWIW, I'm sorry for that derail of the thread. It was intended to just be commenting along with the "media is lying to us" trope

I think 🤔 most threads are off the rails. If posters would stop reporting posts the mods could chill and we could all be ourselves. I would enjoy this. There are a couple of posters I’d like to attempt to verbally beat the shit out of. Not you. 

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

It says that that story is from her family, and the article says they have not confirmed. I know some will still hate it, but the headline is accurate.

image.png.681fd52eb7636586461a0fba1920fc09.png

We're going to play that game then?  Hide behind the disingenuous "it's factually accurate" nonsense and completely ignore any semblance of nuance on what actually happened.  

Then stare blankly off into space when so many people completely distrust the media who clearly have an agenda in their messaging of what is "accurate"

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I have now watched this shitty video 9 times. She was attacking both women with a knife. Cop should have fired in the air on the shooting trying to save a life. What were the guys who were bitching about the shooting doing? Nada. 

Bullets don't disappear in the air.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

From 30 seconds of research...

The guy was not in the act of stabbing anyone, the police attempted to negotiate with him to put the knife down, he refused and they ultimately used flash bangs. Of course, that's the story the police gave so it might not be entirely accurate, but even if it's only kind of true, it's still 100% different than what happened here.

yep, totally different scenario but of course social media gonna social media...

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Goddamn can somebody let texags know their posts are leaking into surly?

Then maybe you can explain the need to rush factually incorrect information to Twitter immediately?  Start with the shooting in Houston yesterday, then work your way back to this one.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Then maybe you can explain the need to rush factually incorrect information to Twitter immediately?  Start with the shooting in Houston yesterday, then work your way back to this one.  

How about when cops rush out factually incorrect info? MPD's initial reporting of the murder of George Floyd at best misrepresented the basic facts of the event

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Accurate but misleading. 

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We're going to play that game then?  Hide behind the disingenuous "it's factually accurate" nonsense and completely ignore any semblance of nuance on what actually happened.  

Then stare blankly off into space when so many people completely distrust the media who clearly have an agenda in their messaging of what is "accurate"

These are bad posts. There's nothing misleading about that reporting. The family made a newsworthy accusation and it was reported factually. 

That's not some sort of game, that's just reality. For some reason lots of people don't understand that but it's the truth. The issues are the family's lies and the lack of ability of many news consumers to wait for more information. 

• Like 2

How about when cops rush out factually incorrect info? MPD's initial reporting of the murder of George Floyd at best misrepresented the basic facts of the event

This is really, really important. They are an official arm of our government. Making self-serving inaccurate statements on the regular is a big problem.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well, while we’re playing that game. Pretty sure what they released was factually correct. Told the entire truth, nope.   But we just established what NPR released was “factually” correct too. So which way you want it? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

These are bad posts. There's nothing misleading about that reporting. The family made a newsworthy accusation and it was reported factually. 

That's not some sort of game, that's just reality. For some reason lots of people don't understand that but it's the truth. The issues are the family's lies and the lack of ability of many news consumers to wait for more information. 

"More information".  LOL.  It was so blatantly black and white the precinct IMMEDIATELY released the bodycam footage.  How often does that happen?  It's intentionally disingenuous and misleading and you damn well know it.  Anyone that can fog a mirror can clearly understand how misleading " calls cops and is shot" is vs. "calls cops and is shot attempting to stab another person".

• Hook 'Em 1