Another police shooting. This one in Columbus, OH

Parliament

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

My guess is that you don't at all and you're using their suffering as a flag to wave while yelling about a mouthy black guy. Very inspirational

I haven’t done either. I think he’s a piece of shit for potentially threatening the safety of the cop, and that’s where it stops.  Out of bounds imo, no different than Trump dog whistling to his masses a thinly veiled attempt at violence toward someone.  That’s what he did, he knows it, and I hope he gets fucked for it. 

Just now, fattyflattie said:

I haven’t done either. I think he’s a piece of shit for potentially threatening the safety of the cop, and that’s where it stops.

So when he said "next" what was the previous thing he was referring to? Answer honestly.

Out of bounds imo, no different than Trump dog whistling to his masses a thinly veiled attempt at violence toward someone.

you're comparing police to racial minorities in America in terms of being targets of violence?

buddy

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

shouldn't we direct that anger at ourselves, the end consumer of the division? i agree with the above statements...but we seem to be addicted to the anger and divisiveness.

we like the the division and on some fundamental level need little hits of it throughout the day. 

Sure. We have some blame, but we should demand better. With the exception of Surly, I'm off social media. I don't watch TV news. I avoid the CR not because I dislike the people in there, but that it's toxic and a poor representation of this site. I'm here for the Seinfeld memes and shitty coaching decisions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's the gist of it - it's the reason longhorn law who taught as George Mason called me a "closet social conservative," which is more true than false, probably. 

And that could be why I agree with you while disagreeing with you all the time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A very simple test each individual here should perform honestly on himself:

Using a 1-10 scale, give a value to the following things:
A) The amount of visceral, emotional anger I felt about Derek Chauvin murdering George Floyd
B) The amount of visceral, emotional anger I felt about LeBron James Tweeting about the Columbus cop

if B*2>A, you need to go to church and pray for Jesus to fix your terrible soul

27 minutes ago, Blotto said:

ah yes, the "but, but... what about" attention deflector. I completely understand why it makes sense to scrutinize Lebron's public comments about a shoe company he has no relationship with on a thread about a police involved shooting in Ohio. that makes complete sense to me. 

Look, I think Lebron is kind of a dumbass and disagree with his original and subsequent tweets. But what the fuck are you babbling about? Is it your position that everyone has to  publicly go on record about every possible injustice in the world before offering opinions on completely unrelated events? Does everyone that uses an iphone have to abandon the device and criticize apple's  supply chain strategy before they can comment on domestic matters? 

I think if he can say that one man just doesn't understand what's going on, while he himself can't give up on his ignorance then why not just add on to his silence on things he apparently understand.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

you're comparing police to racial minorities in America in terms of being targets of violence?

A policeman who very clearly correctly did his job? Absolutely.   Don’t know if you know what thread you are in but this isn’t about Chauvin.  This is about the cop who saved a woman’s life, but was blamed for killing another who was attempting to murder her.  Then was exposed by one of the most famous people in the history of the world long after the facts were out.  For saving someone’s life? Fuck him. 

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Matter 1 - a centuries-long history of mass murder and violence against black and brown people in America

Matter 2 - a police officer going to jail for murdering a man in broad daylight

DT: "I cannot tell the difference between these things."

What the fuck are you talking about? Lebron is an idiot for his tweet on this case in the OP, Lebron is also an idiot for his take on China, Lebron is also an idiot for his Malcolm X recollection.

Chauvin deserved to be sent to prison. 

This case isn’t like the Chauvin case and Lebron is still a complete idiot for his opinion on this case. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

A policeman who very clearly correctly did his job? Absolutely.   Don’t know if you know what thread you are in but this isn’t about Chauvin.

What was James referring to with "next" and "ACCOUNTABILITY"?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This case isn’t like the Chauvin case and Lebron is still a complete idiot for his opinion on this case. 

An athlete is a complete idiot on social media... and we're on Page #14.

Is that normally what happens when an athlete is an idiot on social media?

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Sure. We have some blame, but we should demand better. With the exception of Surly, I'm off social media. I don't watch TV news. I avoid the CR not because I dislike the people in there, but that it's toxic and a poor representation of this site. I'm here for the Seinfeld memes and shitty coaching decisions. 

important-human-beings-feel-they-are-popular-and-well-liked-amongst-large-group-people-dont-care.jpeg

• Haha 1

What was James referring to with "next" and "ACCOUNTABILITY"?

An athlete is a complete idiot on social media... and we're on Page #14.

Is that normally what happens when an athlete is an idiot on social media?

it doesn’t matter what next or accountability means because Lebron posted a photo of an innocent man in a threatening manner. 

Because the debate has been about how detrimental social media is overall because all the headlines and tweets from people like Lebron, Chauvin prosecution, and members of the media pushed a narrative that was false and was meant to draw attention. 

Im not even going to bother with you anymore because you are and always have been the most retarded poster  

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

spacer.png

The thing is Lebron doesn't give a shit about this black girl or the one the cop saved from getting gutted - it feeds his ego to be thought of as an activist who transcends sport (despite being a complete moron with no actual convictions). Using his platform to act indignant about this and getting his balls sucked by woke sports journos nurses his God complex. The guy is just a complete fraud in every sense of the word.

I don't think you are right about Lebron being a moron at all. He's a basketball genius, he understands team dynamics, and he built a brand, more or less by himself, worth a billion.  That's not the shit that a stupid man does.  That said- I think you are 100% right about the ego/activist thing.  His convictions- as we can see with the response to Morey, are about protecting himself, his paycheck, his brand and his image. That doesn't make the guy a fraud or a bad guy, it makes him... human.  And I think Lebron has done a lot of wonderful stuff with his platform.  And there's much to be admired about him.  If every athlete/entertainer/movie star was as conscientious as Lebron the world would be a better place.  But yeah- he's not nuanced in his thinking- he doesn't see multiple angles (seemingly)- he doesn't ever seem to come down on "the other side" of the issue- it's highly predictable what he's going to say and when he's going to be wrong.  He's not as thoughtful, I don't think, about this shit as a guy like Barkley but he's also 35 years old. He's got time to mature.  We all do. I think he's pretty decent cat, all things considered, and no way he's a moron.  Like- I'd be shocked if his IQ was below 100.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The cop saved a black life. That cop had to make a split second decision, knowing that in the current climate, could cost him his career or freedom. He chose to put that black life before his own. He should be considered a hero but here we are with moron dipshits like Lebron shitting on him.  And I despise Lebron and our media because of they perpetuate outright lies about police killing black males that is extremely divisive and dangerous.  I'll post this again.

blm misperception.jpg

care to share the sourcing of that chart? As in where you got the screenshot from?

Just now, fattyflattie said:

Pretty fucking clear by the issues he cares about and the ones he chooses to ignore that’s he’s accepted he isn’t Jordan, won’t catch Timmy, and now needs something to cling to.  Soooo, how about further division of our country?  

So many different pathologies in these posts.

1) Everyone cares about different things.
2) He will be remembered as one of the greatest athletes in American history. A group of dumpy nobodies saying, "YOU AIN'T JORDAN" isn't compelling or interesting.
3) You and your fellow choose to get mad about this. You are just as responsible for the "division" if not moreso.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

it doesn’t matter what next or accountability means because Lebron posted a photo of an innocent man in a threatening manner. 

TRUTH DOESN'T MATTER I AM MAD LOOK AT MY EMOTIONS!

lol sack up bud

Because the debate has been about how detrimental social media is overall because all the headlines and tweets from people like Lebron, Chauvin prosecution, and members of the media pushed a narrative that was false and was meant to draw attention. 

Here you are, whining and crying and ranting and being divisive. #sad

• Hook 'Em 1

A very simple test each individual here should perform honestly on himself:

Using a 1-10 scale, give a value to the following things:
A) The amount of visceral, emotional anger I felt about Derek Chauvin murdering George Floyd
B) The amount of visceral, emotional anger I felt about LeBron James Tweeting about the Columbus cop

if B*2>A, you need to go to church and pray for Jesus to fix your terrible soul

Raises hand but I aint repenting. I don't know Chauvin or Floyd, but LBJ feels closer. B can be so many things in life that are obviously not as bad as A. It can be the neighbor's dog pooping on your yard, Ted Cruz going to Cancun, etc.   

2 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Raises hand but I aint repenting. I don't know Chauvin or Floyd, but LBJ feels closer. B can be so many things in life that are obviously not as bad as A. It can be the neighbor's dog pooping on your yard, Ted Cruz going to Cancun, etc.   

Go on... ask yourself why.

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Sure. We have some blame, but we should demand better.

we have ALL of the blame. we are the consumer. it's like blaming drug dealers for an addiction. they exist because of you, they didn't create you.

we should demand better? of whom? media outlets? athletes? politicians? they feed us what we make clear we want. 

i mean look at this thread...absolute voracious consumption of messaging you don't like, which drives more propogation and consumption of the messaging. so the messenger won, because you consumed. and you won because you got little hits of righteous indignation and got to point to ¨the other side¨and call them the problem.

we are the problem. you, me, everybody.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I think if he can say that one man just doesn't understand what's going on, while he himself can't give up on his ignorance then why not just add on to his silence on things he apparently understand.

sorry man. I read this sentence several times, and I still don't understand what the hell your point is. Your words look like english, but they  make no sense to me.

Is it your opinion that because Lebron plays in a league with other people that have endorsement deals with a company in China that uses exploitative labor practices, he can no longer express opinions on domestic matters. Is he also supposed to criticize every apple product, and for that matter every product from every US corporation that may also profit from  exploitative labor practices in China?

If so, can you also post the list of every company that all US Citizens should condemn before expressing thoughts on domestic matters. I don't want to tolerate anybody (liberal or conservative) who dares voice their opinion, until I am absolutely certain that they have shamed every US company doing business with shady vendors in China. We cant be too over-reactive here. 

31 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What demographic is that?

First let's lead why this matters and then I'll answer your question. It matters because LeBron has an immense platform and powerfully influential voice on people who, statistically, are already in opposition and conflict with police, white privilege, institutional poverty and racism, etc. that I'll distill into calling "White Amerika" for your sake as a peace offering :).

The worst thing you can do, unless you are trying to be a propagandist to incite severe emotional responses based on lies and dishonesty, is to tweet to his fanbase, as LeBron did. The second worst thing you could do would be to continue doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down on it and pretending you didn't mean what you meant that you responded to in error, but that you meant something else. We all get that politicians do this endlessly, which is where I made the point that if you want to consider LeBron as a (social) politician then we can assess his valuation differently as part of the politician asset class versus the asset class of that as an athlete, which is markedly different as you have noted.

Since you asked me:

• Lebron is both the most famous and the most popular NBA player (a meaningful distinction between the two, and combined a powerful statement) 
  • 55% of NBA viewers pre-COVID are non-white.
  • Regarding "Sports Activism" that arose over the Summer in the NBA (BLM on the jerseys, MIL boycotting games, etc.) a Marist poll shows: 33 percent of people were viewing less, 21 percent were more likely to watch, and 46 percent were not affected by player activism (link at bottom).
  • There is also an unsurprising partisan split with 70 percent of Republicans indicating they would watch less and 61 percent of Democrats saying they are more inclined to watch.
  • After the move to Miami in 2014-2015 (the last time I can find any real hard data analytics on the topic, feel free to extrapolate how you, b_t, want):
  1. ~6% of white NBA fans listed LeBron as their favorite player.
  2. 23.5% of black NBA fans list him as their favorite player.

https://sports.yahoo.com/activism-election-pandemic-challenges-new-marist-poll-suggests-none-of-them-are-causing-sports-tv-ratings-decline-171129596.html

https://today.yougov.com/topics/sport/explore/sports_personality/LeBron_James

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Do you believe that LBJ nothing wrong, and why if you do?

I think he jumped to conclusions regarding the shooting of knifegirl in Columbus. "Wrong" for posting badly on social media... brother that's all of us.

He didn't call for violence against the guy. he said "next" and "ACCOUNTABILITY" in a clear reference to the recent conviction of Derek Chauvin. He was advocating the cop be put through the criminal justice system.

those making it sound like a call to a lynching are being dishonest to promote hysterical narratives about black people

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

he said "next" and "ACCOUNTABILITY" in a clear reference to the recent conviction of Derek Chauvin. He was advocating the cop be put through the criminal justice system.

First, he said you're next. 

There's 0% reason that policeman should go thru the criminal justice system.  He should have been thanked for saving the life of the other AA girl.  But that's not what LBJ wanted.  He wanted to incite emotions with a portion of the country, frame the incident incorrectly (his previous tweet, which post dated facts available at time), and whether he did that maliciously or not is for you to decide.  By the time he tweeted it, the facts were easily verifiable yet he chose to send misinformation to 50m followers.  You tell me why.  Now he's doubling down.  So is he ignorant, irresponsible, or malicious?  

• Hook 'Em 2

Haven't read the entire thread but what should have been the correct move in this guys situation? You won't find me having sympathy for cops but she had a knife and could have killed the other girl. Does the cop taze her instead? Physically disarm her? This whole thing is just fucked up all around. 

10 minutes ago, lmao said:

Haven't read the entire thread but what should have been the correct move in this guys situation? You won't find me having sympathy for cops but she had a knife and could have killed the other girl. Does the cop taze her instead? Physically disarm her? This whole thing is just fucked up all around. 

Ma'Khia Bryant's military veteran neighbor has said his home security camera footage proves Columbus Police Officer Nicholas Reardon had no choice but to shoot the black 16-year-old because more people could have been killed if he hadn't acted.

'He could have either not fired and the young lady in pink could have been stabbed in the neck and brutally or fatally injured and then he could shot [Bryant] and we could have had two [young women] dead - or he could have responded in the way that he did and one young lady lost her life,' he said. 

His comments come as a second neighbor said he believes police bodycam footage shows Bryant was in 'full attack mode' and 'needed to be stopped' because a 'young lady's life was at stake'. 

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Gotta say, I wasn't expecting babayaga and dcar and cheeseweez and chickensandwich and johnnysack and donkeycigars to suddenly care so much about the effects of words on twitter, considering the last four years of relative quiet on the issue.

What do you mean?  I'm being told that it isn't a big deal to tweet misinformation and veiled threats to 50m people at a time when the country is simmering.  Fuck it's on this page.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, Huckleberry said:

The accusation is absolutely newsworthy based both on current events as well as severity. It would have been irresponsible not to report it.

The fact it was reported is why everyone now must once again deal with the reality that not all accusations are true. You guys are so eager to be upset at the media you don't even realize you're asking for a world where every publicized accusation against police is true, which would actually make it easier for false accusers to be believed, not harder. Particularly in the social media world where news outlets aren't necessary for accusations to quickly reach far and wide. A healthy amount of societal cynicism is only possible if every newsworthy accusation is made public. That's how people see that some of them are false and some are true. 

I'm late to this, but I couldn't disagree more.  I don't remember, and can't find, what the original NPR story said.  I believe its story was similar to the Daily Beast.  The accusations were entirely based on quotes from the aunt, who was not present when the incident occurred.  The aunt said she got information from the girl's grandmother and dad- but with with no mention as to whether the grandmother or the dad themselves witnessed the event.  The aunt's version was at least hearsay, and maybe double hearsay.  There was no mention of an attempt to interview the grandmother or the dad to determine if the aunt made her version up.  No mention of an attempt to interview any of the other people who were present.  I'd agree that if a witness makes the same claims, it's absolutely newsworthy.  Is it wrong to expect news organizations to do more than parrot hearsay when there are obviously better witnesses?  You believe that reporting hearsay was important because of current events and the severity.  I'd argue not reporting hearsay was important because of current events and the severity.  

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

First, he said you're next. 

Yes. What was he referring to?

You and a dozen others here are trying very hard to call upon the image of black people as violent savages by making "you're next" a call to violence.

"Misinformation" indeed.

There's 0% reason that policeman should go thru the criminal justice system. 

It shouldn't even be investigated or looked into?

But that's not what LBJ wanted.  He wanted to incite emotions with a portion of the country...

He wanted to "incite emotions"? That's your contention? That the officer was in danger of being emotioned to death? Psychic warfare?

So thoroughly and profoundly dishonest. Deeply dishonest to the bones.

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

What do you mean?  I'm being told that it isn't a big deal to tweet misinformation and veiled threats to 50m people at a time when the country is simmering.  Fuck it's on this page.   

"veiled threats" is misinformation

Racist misinformation, at that.

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Gotta say, I wasn't expecting babayaga and dcar and cheeseweez and chickensandwich and johnnysack and donkeycigars to suddenly care so much about the effects of words on twitter, considering the last four years of relative quiet on the issue.

You're so, so, so bad at this....

5706d1e809b3323793f019a6bc560b87.gif

• Haha 1

Men of principle, clearly

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Imagine tweeting disinformation and threats against specific groups to over 80 million people at a time when the country is in dumpster fire mode.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Imagine tweeting disinformation and threats against specific groups to over 80 million people at a time when the country is in dumpster fire mode.

Imagine this board vilifying that person for it.  I guess 50 is cool, 80 is a no no.  Cool, cool.  

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes. What was he referring to?

You and a dozen others here are trying very hard to call upon the image of black people as violent savages by making "you're next" a call to violence.

"Misinformation" indeed.

It shouldn't even be investigated or looked into?

He wanted to "incite emotions"? That's your contention? That the officer was in danger of being emotioned to death? Psychic warfare?

So thoroughly and profoundly dishonest. Deeply dishonest to the bones.

"veiled threats" is misinformation

Racist misinformation, at that.

You hurt yourself reaching that hard?  Wow. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Since you asked me:

• Lebron is both the most famous and the most popular NBA player (a meaningful distinction between the two, and combined a powerful statement) 
  • 55% of NBA viewers pre-COVID are non-white.
  • Regarding "Sports Activism" that arose over the Summer in the NBA (BLM on the jerseys, MIL boycotting games, etc.) a Marist poll shows: 33 percent of people were viewing less, 21 percent were more likely to watch, and 46 percent were not affected by player activism (link at bottom).
  • There is also an unsurprising partisan split with 70 percent of Republicans indicating they would watch less and 61 percent of Democrats saying they are more inclined to watch.
  • After the move to Miami in 2014-2015 (the last time I can find any real hard data analytics on the topic, feel free to extrapolate how you, b_t, want):
  1. ~6% of white NBA fans listed LeBron as their favorite player.
  2. 23.5% of black NBA fans list him as their favorite player.

https://sports.yahoo.com/activism-election-pandemic-challenges-new-marist-poll-suggests-none-of-them-are-causing-sports-tv-ratings-decline-171129596.html

https://today.yougov.com/topics/sport/explore/sports_personality/LeBron_James

Not really sure what the takeaway here is regarding the demographics for LeBron's Tweets. And not sure what the takeaway from that would be regarding the negative impact of his Tweets.

I think the dishonesty and mischaracterization of James's Tweet as a call to violence and the subsequent lack of specifics regarding negative consequences tells the story. A non-story.

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Imagine this board vilifying that person for it.  I guess 50 is cool, 80 is a no no.  Cool, cool.  

You hurt yourself reaching that hard?  Wow. 

DT is like playing a pickup game against toddlers

- What did James mean by "You're Next #Accountability"?