Another police shooting. This one in Columbus, OH

Parliament

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

DT is like playing a pickup game against toddlers

- What did James mean by "You're Next #Accountability"?

This has been established.  He's using his fame to push for something that isn't warranted, either because he was ignorant to the situation, or had a malicious intent.  Now you tell me what you think he meant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, AggieFactFinder said:

I'm late to this, but I couldn't disagree more.  I don't remember, and can't find, what the original NPR story said.  I believe its story was similar to the Daily Beast.  The accusations were entirely based on quotes from the aunt, who was not present when the incident occurred.  The aunt said she got information from the girl's grandmother and dad- but with with no mention as to whether the grandmother or the dad themselves witnessed the event.  The aunt's version was at least hearsay, and maybe double hearsay.  There was no mention of an attempt to interview the grandmother or the dad to determine if the aunt made her version up.  No mention of an attempt to interview any of the other people who were present.  I'd agree that if a witness makes the same claims, it's absolutely newsworthy.  Is it wrong to expect news organizations to do more than parrot hearsay when there are obviously better witnesses?  You believe that reporting hearsay was important because of current events and the severity.  I'd argue not reporting hearsay was important because of current events and the severity.  

With all due respect (obligatory Ricky Bobby gif) you just made a post arguing over an article that you say you can neither remember nor find. When I first read it the article was basically the first few paragraphs here before the press conference mention: 

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/20/989342784/16-year-old-black-girl-who-called-for-help-fatally-shot-by-police-ohio-family-sa

which are very clear that it's a preliminary claim by the aunt that hasn't been verified and is only alleged. The argument that news outlets therefore shouldn't cover it is an archaic belief from a different era. In today's society it will get publicized without them. Responsible reporting like the NPR story that makes clear it was at that time an unverified allegation helps; it doesn't hurt.

I also feel like I should point out that I'm willing to point out terrible journalism. I was one of the first to point out the admittedly obvious bullshit in Erdely's Rolling Stone article back in the day. This is not bad journalism. 

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, Captainant said:

Lulz, if I recall yall were quite enamored by "when the looting starts, the shooting starts"

I'm not sure I've spoken to that particular phrase, as I know where it originated from. 

But with regards to looters in general, I couldn't muster up a single fuck what happens to looters.  

Just now, bad_teammate said:

What leads you to believe he had "malicious intent"? What would that mean specifically?

Well he tweeted out pure bullshit about the incident well after it was proven otherwise.  Specifically, it could mean the police that did nothing wrong has his career ruined, put in jail, or violence taken on him.  All kinds of bad things can happen when you do dumb shit like post patently false information to group of 50m people.   Instead of the Dennison I'm going to ask one line questions, why don't you tell me what you think he meant?

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Well he tweeted out pure bullshit about the incident well after it was proven otherwise.  Specifically, it could mean the police that did nothing wrong has his career ruined, put in jail, or violence taken on him. 

What leads you to this as an option?
Is it based on similar incidents? If so, which ones?

Instead of the Dennison I'm going to ask one line questions, why don't you tell me what you think he meant?

I don't think Dennison invented the concept of understanding ideas by asking questions. It's a Socratic thing, and probably some other pederast before him.

I have already said what I think is happening.

- You, and many like you, are playing into the racist specter of blacks as violent animals by suggesting that James's obvious call to criminal justice through law is a call to popular violence.
- You duck, dodge, and avoid simple questions because you know I'm right and you're not the type to admit it.
- James was clearly referring to "next" as in "after Chauvin" and "accountability" as "processed and convicted legally".

You're getting vague because you're not someone who understands his own emotional impetus and drive. It embarrasses you later because you're ruled not by reason, but by rage. That's why you can't engage in reasoned discussion.

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

why do you engage the troll that argues with you by just asking questions over and over and over without any meaingfull discussion?

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

You guys don’t need to carry water for Lebron anymore. Even he realized it was a retarded tweet and deleted it. 

DT: For Intellectuals Only

These top level athletes and celebrities should just leave their official accounts to a social media manager if they care about their image.  Which they should because that's a bigger money maker than their salaries.  You want to spit uneducated, off the cuff comments, use a burner.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

care to share the sourcing of that chart? As in where you got the screenshot from?

Since you sound skeptical, I've got good news!  It's from a poll conducted by the Skeptical Research Center.

Here's who they are and what they do:

https://www.skeptic.com/research-center/

Here's their report with the polling graphics:

https://www.skeptic.com/research-center/reports/Research-Report-CUPES-007.pdf

tl;dclick:  Poll asked people their estimate (actual number killed was 13, 18, or 27, depending on if you use the WaPo or a different dataset.)

spacer.png

And here is why it matters:

A video of protesters on Tuesday confirming such misunderstanding, including several stating that a genocide against blacks/non-whites is underway, and (presumably as a result of such views) advocating to literally "Burn the city down", to commit violence or murder against whites, and that another civil war is required.

Scary stuff.  And it doesn't take anywhere close to a majority to start civil warfare or pull off a revolution.  The best estimates we have are that about a third of the colonists were in favor of the American revolution, a third were against, and a third indifferent.

I'm not posting to play political games.  I'm posting out of concern that a lot of bloodshed is a real risk sooner than many think possible.  The very last thing I want to see.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Not really sure what the takeaway here is regarding the demographics for LeBron's Tweets. And not sure what the takeaway from that would be regarding the negative impact of his Tweets.

I think the dishonesty and mischaracterization of James's Tweet as a call to violence and the subsequent lack of specifics regarding negative consequences tells the story. A non-story.

A big famous rich and powerful/influential athlete uses his platform in an inappropriate way given the consensus of nearly everyone that the issue at hand was not what certain folks (LeBron for one) had feared it to be as the story was folding. Instead of admitting a wrong or a mistake, he insulted everyone’s intelligence and pretended he meant something else and tried to pivot the conversation to save face. Classic ego/narcissistic move. 

The story, then, is that a) people of all ilks, and LeBron specifically, should wait until jumping to conclusions if they want to be inflammatory or take an impassioned, personal opinion on something. And if they don’t and are wrong, they ought to admit it, or risk being thought of rightfully as a dishonest person.

RE: Demographics. You asked for the particulars, so I offered some, if you aren’t sure why you asked, I’m not sure I can help there either.

18 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

With all due respect (obligatory Ricky Bobby gif) you just made a post arguing over an article that you say you can neither remember nor find. When I first read it the article was basically the first few paragraphs here before the press conference mention: 

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/20/989342784/16-year-old-black-girl-who-called-for-help-fatally-shot-by-police-ohio-family-sa

which are very clear that it's a preliminary claim by the aunt that hasn't been verified and is only alleged. The argument that news outlets therefore shouldn't cover it is an archaic belief from a different era. In today's society it will get publicized without them. Responsible reporting like the NPR story that makes clear it was at that time an unverified allegation helps; it doesn't hurt.

I also feel like I should point out that I'm willing to point out terrible journalism. I was one of the first to point out the admittedly obvious bullshit in Erdely's Rolling Stone article back in the day. This is not bad journalism. 

I admit I couldn't recall which story was NPR's and which was The Daily Beast's.  Both relied on statements by the non-witness aunt so our arguments should apply to both.  We disagree on this being bad journalism; there wasn't any journalism beyond parroting what a non-witness said.  No reference to an attempt to interview any of the many real witnesses.  As far as getting publicized without them, who cares?  Better to be first than accurate?  NPR's clarification is pretty amusing:

"This is a developing story. Some facts reported by the media may later turn out to be wrong. We will focus on reports from police officials and other authorities, credible news outlets and reporters who are at the scene, and we will update as the situation develops."

Aren't you saying the only "fact" they reported (for purposes of our discussion) is that the aunt alleged something?  If so, they didn't report any incorrect fact, which I suppose is your point.  In that case, why the clarification?  How can a fact later turn out to be wrong?   To their credit, though, the second sentence seems to be an admission that relying on family members who weren't present was a bad idea.  

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

"I AM MAD AT THAT GUY FOR NOT CARING ABOUT THE LIVES OF PEOPLE HE DOESN'T KNOW THAT DON'T LOOK LIKE HIM!" I scream while not caring about the lives of other people I don't know that don't look like me.

This whole argument about China with LeBron is the intellectual equivalent of, "You say you care about the environment, yet you use an iphone?? Checkmated with logic!"

I think you might want to research this a bit more.   

17 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why did he delete it?

Because it made him look like an idiot given that the shooting was clearly justified and the officer in question shouldn't/wouldn't be tried or convicted of anything. A dumb rush-to-judgment Tweet from someone very passionate about the subject.

(It's funny how I'm accused of not engaging in meaningful discussion when I'm one of the few people who never dodges questions.)

17 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

A big famous rich and powerful/influential athlete uses his platform in an inappropriate way given the consensus of nearly everyone that the issue at hand was not what certain folks (LeBron for one) had feared it to be as the story was folding.

That's so vague. We don't get 15 pages for vague "inappropriate" Tweeting.

The story, then, is that a) people of all ilks, and LeBron specifically, should wait until jumping to conclusions if they want to be inflammatory or take an impassioned, personal opinion on something. And if they don’t and are wrong, they ought to admit it, or risk being thought of rightfully as a dishonest person.

Again, we're not 15 pages in because someone rushed to judgment and then was pigheaded about backtracking. That's a daily thing. 

You can read the thread and posts as well as I can. Let's be honest. We have fun being honest and candid, don't we?

5 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

I think you might want to research this a bit more.   

For what purpose? To know that China's treatment of the Uighurs and others is abhorrent? I'm already with you.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

- James was clearly referring to "next" as in "after Chauvin" and "accountability" as "processed and convicted legally".

I'm not arguing that.  I agree with you there. 

He either didn't know it was a good shoot, and irresponsibly posted bullshit well after it had been established as false or...he's looking to get a "win" by a conviction against any cop who is white, killing a black person.  Good, bad, indifferent.  He stands a better chance of getting that "win" by putting pressure from his massive amount of fame that may not otherwise ever been considered.

35 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

You're getting vague because you're not someone who understands his own emotional impetus and drive. It embarrasses you later because you're ruled not by reason, but by rage. That's why you can't engage in reasoned discussion.

lol.   Yeah, I'm the one who can't engage in a reasoned discussion.  Only one of us should be embarrassed, and it's the one who thinks of themselves as an enlightened thinker, yet can't quite articulate that, so a flurry of 5-7 word questions it is.  Just asking questions, yall!

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What the fuck are you talking about? Lebron is an idiot for his tweet on this case in the OP, Lebron is also an idiot for his take on China, Lebron is also an idiot for his Malcolm X recollection.

Chauvin deserved to be sent to prison. 

This case isn’t like the Chauvin case and Lebron is still a complete idiot for his opinion on this case. 

He was an idiot way before that back when he was a young man.  Couldn't stand the arrogant son of a bitch back then and can't stand the arrogant son of a bitch now.

In short, fuck LeBung James.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Again, we're not 15 pages in because someone rushed to judgment and then was pigheaded about backtracking. That's a daily thing. 

You can read the thread and posts as well as I can. Let's be honest. We have fun being honest and candid, don't we?

We are at 15 pages because there was already a pent up demand to push LeBron’s face in his puddle of pee and smack him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, and he has given all those who wanted to that luxury and left those who would defend him, without a defense (like you, here on pages 12-15).

There is always a pent up demand to see people with big egos and narcissistic tendencies to get their comeuppance and get gotcha’d, but add in political/racial disagreements and it’s even more fevered.

So to answer your question as honest as I can, I promise I’m trying here, you have two lightning rods in the poster (LeBron) and the subject (US race relations/cop issues) and you have a pent up demand by a lot of people to blow up any slip up or mistake. LeBron created the supply for that demand, not when he initially tweeted (IMHO), but when he doubled down.

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

We are at 15 pages because there was already a pent up demand to push LeBron’s face in his puddle of pee and smack him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, and he has given all those who wanted to that luxury and left those who would defend him, without a defense (like you, here on pages 12-15).

I've got a great defense against the idea that James was stoking some kind of violence against the cop.

I'll offer no defense of his read of the situation, because he missed that shit full-on airball style.

LeBron created the supply for that demand, not when he initially tweeted (IMHO), but when he doubled down.

I see where you're going, but you're not really addressing WHY Lebron inspires such fury in his detractors. If it was simply about political disagreement and outspokenness, we'd hate Steve Kerr and Pops just as much as Lebron.

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Yea well answer this one bigshot..... Where is that burger/fries from in your avatar?

I don't know someone's avatar looked good so I searched "burgers and fries". I want some now, though. Damn :(

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I've got a great defense against the idea that James was stoking some kind of violence against the cop.

I'll offer no defense of his read of the situation, because he missed that shit full-on airball style.

I see where you're going, but you're not really addressing WHY Lebron inspires such fury in his detractors. If it was simply about political disagreement and outspokenness, we'd hate Steve Kerr and Pops just as much as Lebron.

We agree he wasn't trying to stoke some kind of violence; he was wrong on assuming the cop was involved in wrongful death.

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

sorry man. I read this sentence several times, and I still don't understand what the hell your point is. Your words look like english, but they  make no sense to me.

Is it your opinion that because Lebron plays in a league with other people that have endorsement deals with a company in China that uses exploitative labor practices, he can no longer express opinions on domestic matters. Is he also supposed to criticize every apple product, and for that matter every product from every US corporation that may also profit from  exploitative labor practices in China?

If so, can you also post the list of every company that all US Citizens should condemn before expressing thoughts on domestic matters. I don't want to tolerate anybody (liberal or conservative) who dares voice their opinion, until I am absolutely certain that they have shamed every US company doing business with shady vendors in China. We cant be too over-reactive here. 

Man- that's not even what the China thing was about at all. I think you know this but maybe you don't.

Lebron is all about "an injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere"

Morey tweets- we are standing at you during this time of injustice Hong Kong

Lebron- tweets- well actually- and then takes a shit all over Morey b/c he makes so much money in China with credible sources basically saying he tried to get Morey's job.

If you can't see how incredibly hypocritical and cynical that is- and how far apart from what you are saying then you have a room temp IQ, you aren't knowledgeable about how that all played out (my guess), or you are intentionally trolling/being incredibly intellectually dishonest.  

Nobody (at least not rational and idiotic) is saying Lebron has to give a shit about every injustice in the world- it's perfectly fine that he has his platform and wants to speak out on his issues. But he for fuck sure doesn't get to use his platform to fight injustices he cares about while cancelling Morey (who damn sure has earned the right to have a platform himself- albeit in a different way than Lebron did) for talking about injustices he cares about and has a personal connection to.  

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

I'm quite surprised someone would say this, and essentially excuse it across the board.

Why? It's literally how we are hardwired and we are like this because of our evolutionary history.   We only get beyond that with faith (all men are created equal in God's eyes), social contract, coercion by the state, or a renaissance like rise of the idea of intrinsic value of human-ness.  This doesn't mean we have to be prisoners of this mindset, but it's sure as shit deeply ingrained in all of us- which is the point of all the implicit bias studies.  Clans, tribes, nationalities, races, humanity.  You look like (and have most in common) with the groups from left to right.  It's only modern society and the social contract that has enabled us to move from the left to the right, and some of us haven't moved all the way there, and all of us are hard wired to have that not be what we naturally care about.  

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

These top level athletes and celebrities should just leave their official accounts to a social media manager if they care about their image.  Which they should because that's a bigger money maker than their salaries.  You want to spit uneducated, off the cuff comments, use a burner.

Welcome to the chat Kevin Durant

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Man- that's not even what the China thing was about at all. I think you know this but maybe you don't.

Lebron is all about "an injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere"

Morey tweets- we are standing at you during this time of injustice Hong Kong

Lebron- tweets- well actually- and then takes a shit all over Morey b/c he makes so much money in China with credible sources basically saying he tried to get Morey's job.

If you can't see how incredibly hypocritical and cynical that is- and how far apart from what you are saying then you have a room temp IQ, you aren't knowledgeable about how that all played out (my guess), or you are intentionally trolling/being incredibly intellectually dishonest.  

Nobody (at least not rational and idiotic) is saying Lebron has to give a shit about every injustice in the world- it's perfectly fine that he has his platform and wants to speak out on his issues. But he for fuck sure doesn't get to use his platform to fight injustices he cares about while cancelling Morey (who damn sure has earned the right to have a platform himself- albeit in a different way than Lebron did) for talking about injustices he cares about and has a personal connection to.  

Tldr Lebron is a dumbass money grubbing whore. Only in America!

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't know someone's avatar looked good so I searched "burgers and fries". I want some now, though. Damn :(

Can I say that I dislike Steve Kerr and Pop more than Lebron for their political stances?  B/c I do.  I get more irritated by rich entitled white people telling me how badly poor black people have it than I do by hearing a rich entitled black man tell me how bad poor black people have it, especially when he used to be poor and black himself.  The Kerr and Pop talks come off as grandstanding to me- b/c that's where their bread is buttered.  Same with Turtle Tom with his talk about how racist we all are to root for those guys on Saturday but we wouldn't let them date our daughters on Sunday.  Totally and completely self serving.  

Race in America is really fucking complicated.  Poverty in America is really complicated. Hell, I will even go so far as to say privilege in America is really fucking complicated, and most of us aren't really willing to sit down and have an honest conversation about it one way or another, listen to someone else's perspective, admit where we might be wrong in a meaningful way, and work to get better.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1