Another police shooting. This one in Columbus, OH

Parliament

19 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

i'm not saying in every situation.  but plenty of these start as routine traffic stops that escelate to someone being shot.  it seems like we could find a better way to hand out a speeding ticket.

Or maybe don't pull a knife and charge the officer that stops you.  Crazy, I know.

Let's circle back to Chris Rock and get his take

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Probably not, no.
The likelihood that girl-in-pink would have died from a stab wound or two received before Bryant could've been taken down non-lethally is pretty low.

I realize this statement of common sense will be jumped on as me saying the officer shouldn't have shot Bryant. That's not what it means at all, it's just pointing out the obvious reality that stabbings are very often not actually fatal.

Let the bad faith misrepresentations begin...

A knife wound in a vital area, and you bleed out in a couple minutes.  I'd have loved to see a story about a cop tackling her, and the story not ending up with her corpse, but life isn't a movie, and reality moves a lot quicker than you think

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'd argue junior high

I don't pay much attention to the NBA or to LeBron.

I have, however, seen that "barbershop" talk show on HBO, I think it is, that features LeBron and others.  From what I have seen on there, he's not nearly as dumb as one might conclude from knowing his background.  He did attend a Catholic high school that appears not to be a sports or basketball factory.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I don't pay much attention to the NBA or to LeBron.

I have, however, seen that "barbershop" talk show on HBO, I think it is, that features LeBron and others.  From what I have seen on there, he's not nearly as dumb as one might conclude from knowing his background.  He did attend a Catholic high school that appears not to be a sports or basketball factory.

He’s not dumb at all.

23 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A knife wound in a vital area, and you bleed out in a couple minutes.  I'd have loved to see a story about a cop tackling her, and the story not ending up with her corpse, but life isn't a movie, and reality moves a lot quicker than you think

Nobody is tackling anyone with a knife in their hands.  Even a K-9 handler might be averse to having his dog stabbed if given the command, which given the time frame, would have been impossible anyway.

If she's running around chasing people who are out of harms way, maybe go to he taser.  In that scenario, the officer did what he had to.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He’s not dumb at all.

he's also married to his high school sweetheart with whom he has 3 children...to my knowledge, he's never run afoul of the law...that's the profile of someone the angry white man crusader against FALSE NARRATIVES DESIGNED TO SOW DIVISION usually points to as a black man that society needs more of. 

but, evil heart, society destroyer now so scratch him off the list of black people the angry white man deems as worthy.

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Nobody is tackling anyone with a knife in their hands.  Even a K-9 handler might be averse to having his dog stabbed if given the command, which given the time frame, would have been impossible anyway.

If she's running around chasing people who are out of harms way, maybe go to he taser.  In that scenario, the officer did what he had to.  

Very true.

39 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

he's also married to his high school sweetheart with whom he has 3 children...to my knowledge, he's never run afoul of the law...that's the profile of someone the angry white man crusader against FALSE NARRATIVES DESIGNED TO SOW DIVISION usually points to as a black man that society needs more of. 

but, evil heart, society destroyer now so scratch him off the list of black people the angry white man deems as worthy.

EQ9H.gif

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

in the before times it was its own forum

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/forumdisplay.php/45-Bernard

The missing threads were eliminated due to juvenile delinquents that went to surly posting scat images all over.

It still makes me smile to think about the way Surly just torched that place on the way out the door. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Or if you stab a Latina, you are at a very real risk of being on the hook for eighteen years of child support.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

He’s not dumb at all.
Dumb probably not, but he sure is a money whoring hypocrite. Calling out social issues left and right here in the US, silent on the institutionalized slavery taking place in China where he and the NBA are cashing in.

Be consistent with your ideals
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Probably not, no.
The likelihood that girl-in-pink would have died from a stab wound or two received before Bryant could've been taken down non-lethally is pretty low.
I realize this statement of common sense will be jumped on as me saying the officer shouldn't have shot Bryant. That's not what it means at all, it's just pointing out the obvious reality that stabbings are very often not actually fatal.
Let the bad faith misrepresentations begin...

So you’d be ok with your attacker being allowed to stab you a few times to protect your assailant’s life?

Took longer than I thought, but there it is. lol

Ever seen a stab wound? especially from a large blade? I wouldn’t say odds of lethality are low at all, and even if you live pretty big chance it’s life altering..... but hey as long as your attacker is alive right?

49 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Ever seen a stab wound? especially from a large blade? I wouldn’t say odds of lethality are low at all, and even if you live pretty big chance it’s life altering..... but hey as long as your attacker is alive right?

I realize this statement of common sense will be jumped on as me saying the officer shouldn't have shot Bryant. That's not what it means at all

lol

• Hook 'Em 1

I realize this statement of common sense will be jumped on as me saying the officer shouldn't have shot Bryant. That's not what it means at all
lol

You said non lethally.....i suppose a taser might of worked, but if not and they’ve been known to fail you end up 6 feet away from a person with a kitchen knife who now has their sights on you, that cop is in a lose lose situation, do nothing he’s screwed for watching someone get stabbed, shoot her and he gets the villain treatment while saving someone’s life and as good of a thought as it is, no police are trained to tase someone with a deadly weapon, especially when they are in the process of trying to use it.

9 hours ago, BrickTop said:

You said non lethally.....i suppose a taser might of worked, but if not and they’ve been known to fail you end up 6 feet away from a person with a kitchen knife who now has their sights on you, that cop is in a lose lose situation, do nothing he’s screwed for watching someone get stabbed, shoot her and he gets the villain treatment while saving someone’s life and as good of a thought as it is, no police are trained to tase someone with a deadly weapon, especially when they are in the process of trying to use it.

oh my god he's still going

The proposition was made (repeatedly) that the officer saved girl-in-pink's life by shooting her attacker. While that is possible, it is not a certainty.  In fact, it's not even probable that the girl in pink would have died if the cop had tased or tackled or baton'd the chunky lady with the santoku.

What the officer should have done or what the officer was trained to do are separate questions from the question of precisely how in danger girl-in-pink's life was in that moment.

If you want to have a conversation about police training, that's fine. I think putting "I HAVE TO GET HOME TO MY FAMILY!!" at the top of the list in officer training is a problem. Being an officer in America is not a high-risk-of-being-killed profession to begin with, and their "I HAVE TO GET HOME TO MY FAMILY!!" training often increases the danger level to themselves and everyone around them by their persistent tactics of escalation. Also, it increases their own likelihood of resorting to violence and ratcheting up the level of acceptable violence in their minds.

So, "he is trained to do that" doesn't really mean anything to me as far as being morally exculpatory in terms of thinking about policing at large. As if "training" is some magical force of good.

tl;dr:

police are bad

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, BrickTop said:

Whether she was likely to die if not for the officer shooting Bryant is a different question than whether the officer acted appropriately in shooting Bryant. @bad_teammate was disagreeing with the former, not the latter.