Another police shooting. This one in Columbus, OH

Parliament

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

We're going to play that game then?  Hide behind the disingenuous "it's factually accurate" nonsense and completely ignore any semblance of nuance on what actually happened.  

Then stare blankly off into space when so many people completely distrust the media who clearly have an agenda in their messaging of what is "accurate"

Actual fact-checking and verifying info from multiple sources (like, maybe, from someone other than the perpetrator's own family) before spewing it out to the world is so 20th Century.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

These are bad posts. There's nothing misleading about that reporting. The family made a newsworthy accusation and it was reported factually. 

That's not some sort of game, that's just reality. For some reason lots of people don't understand that but it's the truth. The issues are the family's lies and the lack of ability of many news consumers to wait for more information. 

They made a newsworthy accusation ?  They lied apparently.  That's not newsworthy IMO.  That's supposed to be part of the job of journalism: Investigate, and report the FACTS (yes, her family stating she didn't have a knife was a fact), but what should have been said was, "the family claims she didn't have a knife, but this reporter has found that's not the case".

One story sells more clicks, one doesn't... you do the math.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

Actual fact-checking and verifying info from multiple sources (like, maybe, from someone other than the perpetrator's own family) before spewing it out to the world is so 20th Century.

Americans killed millions while Hitler helped get the trains back on schedule is also factually accurate.  Jesus it's like there is full force selective brain use going on.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

NY Times just put this out.  Tell me again how the media isn't evil and intentionally misleading.

And there is no hope of having actual, meaningful dialogue about policing in this country when, even when the cops do everything right, they still get vilified.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

How about when cops rush out factually incorrect info? MPD's initial reporting of the murder of George Floyd at best misrepresented the basic facts of the event

This one isn’t even rushed.  Hours and hours after the incident.  So why do you think they are intentionally putting out misinformation, and really zoning in on race.  Please explain it to me like I’m from Texags. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Message Board User said:

And there is no hope of having actual, meaningful dialogue about policing in this country when, even when the cops do everything right, they still get vilified.

We have a winner folks.  Tell him what he's won Vanna....

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Americans killed millions while Hitler helped get the trains back on schedule is also factually accurate.  Jesus it's like there is full force selective brain use going on.  

Yes there is It's called the mainstream news media.  Outcome based reporting.....

"More information".  LOL.  It was so blatantly black and white the precinct IMMEDIATELY released the bodycam footage.  How often does that happen?  It's intentionally disingenuous and misleading and you damn well know it.  Anyone that can fog a mirror can clearly understand how misleading " calls cops and is shot" is vs. "calls cops and is shot attempting to stab another person".

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They made a newsworthy accusation ?  They lied apparently.  That's not newsworthy IMO.  That's supposed to be part of the job of journalism: Investigate, and report the FACTS (yes them stating she didn' have a knife was a fact, but what should have been said was, "the family claims she didn't have a knife, but this reporter has found that's not the case".

One story sells more clicks, one doesn't... you do the math.

The accusation is absolutely newsworthy based both on current events as well as severity. It would have been irresponsible not to report it.

The fact it was reported is why everyone now must once again deal with the reality that not all accusations are true. You guys are so eager to be upset at the media you don't even realize you're asking for a world where every publicized accusation against police is true, which would actually make it easier for false accusers to be believed, not harder. Particularly in the social media world where news outlets aren't necessary for accusations to quickly reach far and wide. A healthy amount of societal cynicism is only possible if every newsworthy accusation is made public. That's how people see that some of them are false and some are true. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This one isn’t even rushed.  Hours and hours after the incident.  So why do you think they are intentionally putting out misinformation, and really zoning in on race.  Please explain it to me like I’m from Texags. 

What I can explain is that you're outraged about a tweet that has 20 likes and everyone now knows is a lie. By posting that tweet here you doubled its reach.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The accusation is absolutely newsworthy based both on current events as well as severity. It would have been irresponsible not to report it.

The fact it was reported is why everyone now must once again deal with the reality that not all accusations are true. You guys are so eager to be upset at the media you don't even realize you're asking for a world where every publicized accusation against police is true, which would actually make it easier for false accusers to be believed, not harder. Particularly in the social media world where news outlets aren't necessary for accusations to quickly reach far and wide. A healthy amount of societal cynicism is only possible if every newsworthy accusation is made public. That's how people see that some of them are false and some are true. 

It's the selective dissemination of information to fit a preconceived narrative.  If you cannot see that, then you are part of the problem.  

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Umm, yeah it was a fact that wasn't verified or called out because that narrative doesn't work for them. Outrage and oppression sell.  

Eager to be upset ? What I'm eager for is reading a news report that presents facts not emotionally driven, facts don't matter, BS. That isn't happening very often.

Society has cynicism because the press doesn't report THE facts they report their facts.  This story is exhibit 1,200,345,567.99 of that reality.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BabaYaga said:

It's the selective dissemination of information to fit a preconceived narrative.  If you cannot see that, then you are part of the problem.  

post a single example of you or anyone else in the DT brainworms cabal feigning outrage at the same type of 'selective dissemination of information to fit a preconceived narrative' carried out by Fox News and i'll concede that you aren't a big part of the problem you claim to see.

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

post a single example of you or anyone else in the DT brainworms cabal feigning outrage at the same type of 'selective dissemination of information to fit a preconceived narrative' carried out by Fox News and i'll concede that you aren't a big part of the problem you claim to see.

There it is.  Didn't take too long to that card out of the deck.  lol.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You're complaining about random tweets that 20 people have liked over 15 hours?  come on man.

I get that everyone wants the media and online personalities to withhold reporting until all of the facts are known but that is unrealistic. We have threads on here sometimes within minutes of reported events when no facts are know except 1 or 2 headlines. You could argue that it took weeks for the George Floyd facts to be fully known. 

BTW, saying that the Columbus girl was fatally shot by police is 100% accurate. It will be listed as a homicide by the police. The justification would depend on their policy about using lethal force to prevent a potential knife attack. It appears to me that the police may have saved the girl in pink from being stabbed. I assume the police educate their force on how to react to that incident. My main critique of the police is that from the angle of the camera, the cop put others in danger. I don't know the right call there.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think they are asking the media to be actual responsible journalist, not a 15 year old girl on Twitter looking for the most likes.  They prove each day the all need a permanent disclaimer  "FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY"

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Sure FOX does it, the problem is you can't be honest enough to admit that CNN, NYT, at el pulls the same kind of shit. THAT is the heart of the cabal, willfull ignorance that their shining knights do nothing wrong, and it's all the other team that engages in any shenanigans.

• Hook 'Em 5

There it is.  Didn't take too long to that card out of the deck.  lol.

i think we both agree you are a massive part of the problem. hopefully we can be better and work to solve the problem.

i look forward to you focusing your attention and anger towards the same type of irresponsible journalism that caters to you.

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And the White House just goes ahead and pours gasoline on this fire, tying (without evidence) the shooting of Bryant to racism and offering no context to what actually happened.

Noooooothing to see here mooooove along.....  We just need Mr. Biden to chime in and state that the police acted stupidly.

I don't see it because it's not true in this case. They reported on the accusation when it was known and then reported the bodycam footage when it was released. Everything was factual.

Again, the problems here are the lying family members and people's inability to wait before jumping to conclusions. Well along with others not in the media trying to take advantage of the situation for their own reasons. Most media reported facts as they were available and that's their job.

Attacking outlets who reported accurately is silly and ultimately counterproductive. If the media is as evil as you claim then it will be easy to find outlets who did the wrong thing. So focus on them. 

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And the White House just goes ahead and pours gasoline on this fire, tying (without evidence) the shooting of Bryant to racism and offering no context to what actually happened.

You may not like the facts in that statement but it's all true. and I'm ok that the police stopped her.  And it's tragic that she's dead today.

The real story here is the second paragraph that she was someone that was lost in the system. It cannot be easy to be a 16 year old in foster care. I have no idea of the full circumstances but there is a chance she was in a home that is full of other foster kids which must be difficult to be the weak one. 

well @Onboard 2.0 i at least appreciate you attempting a counterpunch. probably would have had a better chance of connecting if i hadn't made this post:

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

agreed. and the folks most outraged by the WP instance posted above (which is irresponsible and dangerous) mainline Fox News and other 'news' outlets whose entire existence is based on sensationalism and distorting the truth.

if we could stop the hypocrisy and hold everybody accountable, that would be a great start. but that isn´t happening...we're falling further and further into whatever camp distorts the truth towards our liking.

but hey,, keep swinging bud. i'm sure you'll make contact eventually.

8 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

See, this is an example of something to justifiably criticize. This isn't difficult. 

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

well @Onboard 2.0 i at least appreciate you attempting a counterpunch. probably would have had a better chance of connecting if i hadn't made this post:

but hey,, keep swinging bud. i'm sure you'll make contact eventually.

I bat a solid .333, sometimes a spit ball gets by.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You may not like the facts in that statement but it's all true. and I'm ok that the police stopped her.  And it's tragic that she's dead today.

The real story here is the second paragraph that she was someone that was lost in the system. It cannot be easy to be a 16 year old in foster care. I have no idea of the full circumstances but there is a chance she was in a home that is full of other foster kids which must be difficult to be the weak one. 

The second paragraph also implies that it was a step back after the Chauvin verdict when the two situations should absolutely not be related to one another by the White House. It's an irresponsible statement. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Huckleberry said:

It's an irresponsible statement. 

Fueled by the selective reporting of the events as they unfold.  How difficult is it to add in the slightly relevant tidbit of information that she was shot what attempting to murder another person.....

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sure FOX does it, the problem is you can't be honest enough to admit that CNN, NYT, at el pulls the same kind of shit. THAT is the heart of the cabal, willfull ignorance that their shining knights do nothing wrong, and it's all the other team that engages in any shenanigans.

Just so you know... You're using the exact same terms and talking points as Qanon nutjobs. Media cabals being said as a serious thing just makes me laugh and remember aggy's obsession with the BOMC

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Fueled by the selective reporting of the events as they unfold.  How difficult is it to add in the slightly relevant tidbit of information that she was shot what attempting to murder another person.....

and again, until you start calling out the same type of irresponsible journalism constantly being spewed from other outlets, it will be perfectly clear what's so upsetting to you...you aren't upset with irresponsible journalism that distorts the truth to fit a narrative, you're upset when it's done in such a way that doesn't fit your narrative.

it's patently clear you're a hypocrite. if you weren't, there would be a massive history of your posts calling out that type of journalism from the other side. but that doesn't exist, because you aren't interested in bringing back 'responsibility to journalism'...you're only interested in promoting your narrative while feigning outrage at the other side when they do the same.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

It is disturbing that no segment of our society beyond those directly impacted would have batted an eye at the situation if CPD had arrived 5 minutes later merely to discover the girl in pink alone on the street and stabbed to death.  No media reports, no White House statements, no social media posts, no outraged responses to inaccurate media reports and posts.  Just another anonymous dead black victim of violence that is currently exploding throughout the country.  

Just now, Captainant said:

Just so you know... You're using the exact same terms and talking points as Qanon nutjobs. Media cabals being said as a serious thing just makes me laugh and remember aggy's obsession with the BOMC

You seem obsessed with aggy

• Hook 'Em 3

I would surmise based on years of bullshit with this forum that @Onboard 2.0 was simply pointing out that we all get our information from sources we dig. Its not difficult. “I like my news from xyz” and in No way is news from “xyz” telling me what I want to hear.” But I will then quote sources from xyz and appear to be neutral. Even though I am not neutral. 

TLDR: if you watch any of the 24 hour news shows and continue to quote them, you have a bias. 

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

NPR reported that as soon as it was known. You're just making yourself seem sillier with each post. 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I would surmise based on years of bullshit with this forum that @Onboard 2.0 was simply pointing out that we all get our information from sources we dig. Its not difficult. “I like my news from xyz” and in No way is news from “xyz” telling me what I want to hear.” But I will then quote sources from xyz and appear to be neutral. Even though I am not neutral. 

TLDR: if you watch any of the 24 hour news shows and continue to quote them, you have a bias. 

I get my news from surly.  The unvarnished truth.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Which I don't except for specific time critical/ happening now events.  Local news, NPR, and some BBC for international takes for the most part.  Can't even remember the last time I saw FOX news.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

NPR reported that as soon as it was known. You're just making yourself seem sillier with each post. 

When the police push the bodycam footage faster than NPR writes a story, there are no ambiguities.  But yeah, "facts"

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

I get my news from surly.  The unvarnished truth.

I only watch 30 minutes of the Robin Meade. Then I work out and then work from home. A gripping life I lead. 

Surly has better weather reports and better football stuff. Better commentary on most issues. 

36 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What I can explain is that you're outraged about a tweet that has 20 likes and everyone now knows is a lie. By posting that tweet here you doubled its reach.

Because this kind of reporting leads to false perceptions that make society a lot more divided and a lot more dangerous.  Not everyone knows it's bullshit.  See this recent poll for example:

blm misperception.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Which I don't except for specific time critical/ happening now events.  Local news, NPR, and some BBC for international takes for the most part.  Can't even remember the last time I saw FOX news.

You lie! If you have a conservative thought somewhere in your head it came from there! Holy shit! Are you an anomaly? 

Crazy story about how Fox News went America live. It had something to do with the death of a Princess. Before that time Fox News was nothing. True.

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Black women and girls certainly do not face higher rates of police violence than white or hispanic males.  So no it is not true.

8 minutes ago, alincoln said:

It is disturbing that no segment of our society beyond those directly impacted would have batted an eye at the situation if CPD had arrived 5 minutes later merely to discover the girl in pink alone on the street and stabbed to death.  No media reports, no White House statements, no social media posts, no outraged responses to inaccurate media reports and posts.  Just another anonymous dead black victim of violence that is currently exploding throughout the country.  

Winner winner chicken dinner.

My man Zaid Jilani (one of my favorite twitter follows) echoed those thoughts today - 

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

You lie! If you have a conservative thought somewhere in your head it came from there! Holy shit! Are you an anomaly? 

Crazy story about how Fox News went America live. It had something to do with the death of a Princess. Before that time Fox News was nothing. True.

Oh I'm an anomaly all right, but not a FOX watching anomaly. I grew up watching Uncle Walter, Huntley, Brinkley, and chancellor.  You didn't know what their political opinions were.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Mr. Sack, do you have statistics from a credible source?

spacer.png

From this study:

https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

So risk highest to lowest of being killed by a cop is --

black male

native american male

latinx male

white male

asian male

native american female

black female

latinx female