Glacier NP and Greater NW Montana

UTexasFight

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

If we were camping, I'd say no problem, but we're driving and just stopping by the park for a couple of days in the way to Seattle. 

I'd just stay at Belton Chalet at the park entrance. You can walk to Lake MacDonald. The main rafting company leaves from right near by. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 8 months later...

Heading up next month with my oldest son (15). Staying in Columbia falls. Any recs on rafting trips and fishing guides? also apparently you have to do an online lottery now to drive Going to the Sun. Anyone know the details. The park website says they have a shuttle service as well anyone use it? TIA

ETA holy shit rental car prices are insane! Has anyone used Turo? looks like about half the cost

Edited by Sawbonz

Heading up next month with my oldest son (15). Staying in Columbia falls. Any recs on rafting trips and fishing guides? also apparently you have to do an online lottery now to drive Going to the Sun. Anyone know the details. The park website says they have a shuttle service as well anyone use it? TIA

ETA holy shit rental car prices are insane! Has anyone used Turo? looks like about half the cost

I’ve used Glacier Raft Company several times. They’re very good.

You may be able to ride one of those red buses up to Logan’s Pass. I’d look at that. It’s a pretty stressful drive up the GTTS Road. You’ll miss everything while focusing on not plunging to your death.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I agree with Glacier Raft.

disagree with being stressed about plunging to your death… unless you’re afraid of heights in which I can see it not being very enjoyable. That said, if you can get a ticket on one of the shuttles, I would highly recommend. It’s a totally different experience riding up in the passenger seat looking over the side vs driving up. 

the red busses are the “jammers”. Looks pretty cool but was too pricey for me. 

The ticketing system was put in place last year. Not sure if they’ve tweaked it for this year but last year you had to have a ticket to enter between 6a-5p.

tickets for the summer—at least last year— went on sale around Memorial Day (with a small, limited number on sale each day for the next day… get your account created on recreation.gov. Get logged in and pray the ticket /internet browser refresh gods are with you).  If you don’t get a ticket, don’t expect to smooth talk your way in. They turn away everyone without a ticket. 

but I understand they had a winter with heavy snow and several late season storms, so the road won’t even be cleared to Logan’s Pass until likely late this month. 

Idk what all you are wanting to do, but honestly getting in the park before 6am is kinda the way to go anyway, especially if you’re wanting to do any long hikes. 

I’ll also plug these guys. Have done some of their stuff and they are great: https://glacierinstitute.org

Stayed a month near Columbia Falls last July so have tons more info if you need it. Honestly one of the best month’s of my life. You and your son are going to absolutely love it. Mine is 7 now and can’t wait until he is a little older like yours and go back again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 11 months later...

I went on July 4th weekend in 2017. It was very crowded, need to hit trailheads early and probably take the shuttle. I don't remember accessibility, but I'm sure you could get around a fair amount near the visitor center at the top of the going to the sun road. That drive itself is incredible without even getting out of the car.

• 7 months later...
29 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

@UTexasFight @Mo Horn and anyone else....starting our planning for  July vaca here. With kids.

Namely, is Colombia falls best place to stay? Any specific hotels or cabins that are recommended?  We definitely need water as its all females but me.

Columbia Falls is great but likely going to be pricey (but everything is with that proximity to the park). 

I went with an Airbnb so not much help on specific recommendations on cabins.

Columbia Falls has a great weekly farmers market during the summer (was on Thursdays a few years ago). The place also doubles as a music venue with some decent acts occasionally if you’re in to that.

not much help on recommendations for water (pool, etc) at the place you’re staying, but we did a half day rafting trip with Glacier Raft Company. They were good and I would recommend. But I get the sense all of them are about the same and can’t go wrong with any of them. As far as “free” water, my kids (8 and 6 at the time) had a blast just splashing around Lake McDonald and Bowman Lake. The latter is a haul to get to (and requires reservation, see below) and used to be not as popular with it being off the beaten path, but that has all changed. The view and peacefulness of it is amazing though.

Make sure to watch the Glacier NPS website/social media. Need a reservation to enter most areas of the park between 6a-3p. Looks like this year they are available on a daily rolling basis 120 days out (e.g. reservation for July 1 goes on sale ~March 1). They go QUICK. But if you miss out, I think they hold some back that they put on sale the day before. At least that’s what they did a few years ago.

I’ll go back and read what I posted on this thread in the past and think back on what else we did, but let me know if you have any other specific questions or ages of the kids. I can probably give good recs on a few hikes regardless of age.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for that.  They will be 8 and 14 and luckily, we did Acadia NP last year and the then 7 year old killed it on hikes so she won't as much of an anchor as we thought she would be....I would say anything moderate she can do so would appreciate those recs on hikes as well.  I read all your posts above and super helpful already.

We also want to do another few days somewhere in Montana so any recs on if Bozeman or billings or something else is best would help out too.  We did Yellowstone two years ago and loved it so will do that on way down but want max Montana time.

33 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Thanks for that.  They will be 8 and 14 and luckily, we did Acadia NP last year and the then 7 year old killed it on hikes so she won't as much of an anchor as we thought she would be....I would say anything moderate she can do so would appreciate those recs on hikes as well.  I read all your posts above and super helpful already.

We also want to do another few days somewhere in Montana so any recs on if Bozeman or billings or something else is best would help out too.  We did Yellowstone two years ago and loved it so will do that on way down but want max Montana time.

Check out Flathead Lake.

I liked Polson. 

whitefish is great to spend a day, day and a half in.

I didn’t do much of the rest of the state. On one of my trips we came through Yellowstone as well. Had dinner in Bozeman but that was all we had time for there.

The itinerary I mapped out for us between Yellowstone and Whitefish/Columbia Falls had us spending the night in Butte (this was just my girlfriend and I, so sans kids). I wouldn’t exactly recommend that, but we did check out the superfund site which was really interesting (to me at least).

I’ll look back at the hikes we liked.

I recall Avalanche Lake which is on the main road just before you start the climb on the GTSR road (ask your 7/8 yo to figure out why some of the trees that are down fell “uphill”) . and then at the top/Logan’s Pass, Hidden Lake is super easy and fun for seeing wildlife (marmots and mountain goats, mostly). And going the other way, try some of the Highline.

Many Glacier has some beautiful hikes as well, but that part of the park is also a haul to get to and I think the ones I did there were a hit more challenging (may have just been my girlfriend and I), but Iceberg Lake is one I remember that was excellent and may be doable since it sounds like your 7 yo is not like mine and tolerates hikes well.

North Fork/Bowman Lake, make sure to bring bug spray (same for avalanche lake). There is a nice easy hike along the lakeshore to give you different views of the lake. You can branch off and start climbing towards Numa Fire Lookout (but going all the way was one of the harder/longer hikes I did). Views were incredible but definitely not one for the whole family.

If I think of more, I’ll post 

And damn I miss Glacier. Not in the cards this year, but definitely want to get back sooner than later. Would LOVE to find a second home up there…or even just a plot to building something on in the future… but poking around and looking at prices a few months ago, that’s a big nope.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

@UTexasFight @Mo Horn and anyone else....starting our planning for  July vaca here. With kids.

Namely, is Colombia falls best place to stay? Any specific hotels or cabins that are recommended?  We definitely need water as its all females but me.

We actually never did this trip. Opted to do something else, so sorry can't help. 

18 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

We stayed at Meadow Lake Resort & Condos. We had a nice big 2 bedroom Condo (more than we needed for my wife and 2 very young kids). There's a golf course on property, at least 1 restaurant that I recall, and a couple community center type places with pools and hot tubs. It was May for us so the outdoor pools were still too cold, but I think they had indoor too.

Certainly not the Ritz or anything, but it was nice enough, close to grocery store and town.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Columbia Falls has gotten much nicer in the past decade.  It's added a bunch of restaurants and short term rentals in the past few years.  The general rule was Columbia Falls was working class, Whitefish was for rich people, and Kalispell for families. Honestly, staying in either of the other two only adds maybe 15 minutes to West Glacier and the main park entrance.  Whitefish definitely has the best restaurant selection of the 3 if that matters to you.  Whitefish Lake is right there in town also. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Columbia Falls has gotten much nicer in the past decade.  It's added a bunch of restaurants and short term rentals in the past few years.  The general rule was Columbia Falls was working class, Whitefish was for rich people, and Kalispell for families. Honestly, staying in either of the other two only adds maybe 15 minutes to West Glacier and the main park entrance.  Whitefish definitely has the best restaurant selection of the 3 if that matters to you.  Whitefish Lake is right there in town also. 

Hadn’t heard that before (other than whitefish being the “rich” area) but all three make sense. Columbia Falls had an aluminum smelter for decades (that’s now a superfund site), but yes, has come a long way. And yeah, Kalispell and Whitefish aren’t that much farther to the park and will have a lot more lodging options