BBQ grill grates

markstanco

Just coming in here to warn people off of the GrillGrate aluminum anodized grates. Aluminum has very little heat capacity, so when you toss something on there to sear, the grate immediately loses all its heat and doesn't perform worth a shit. Their marketing tries to make the high thermal conductivity sound like a positive - it isn't. I posted a longer response to an obvious spamming thread by them on the old board, but I bought one to try, tried it once, and threw it in the junk pile.

• Like 1

I believe 3/4" #9 is the most common size for grilling grates.  You want flattened because standard is a bit rounded on top and meat will catch more easily on it when it's moved around.

Edited by kevwun

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, TPCJ007 said:

Sam is correct about the GrillGrate aluminum grates. Don't wast your money

There's "mangrates" (mangrates.com) cast iron.  Looks to be a nice product but I don't know it's worth the $$ and haven't used them. 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:03 PM, UTexasFight said:

Need a gas grill rec.

perused the other thread titles and didn’t see one on that question but before starting one thought I’d ask here

weber Spirit E-310?

Im convinced the worst Weber is still better than the best of another brand.

I have both grillgrates and mangrates. I don't have huge problem with either, but with the mangrates it takes forfuckingever to get up to temp. It seems like the extra cast iron in the grill is very slow to heat. Uses lots more propane.  Also, I have never been able to adequately cure the mangrates. I follow instructions, but it seems the oil always burns completely off, so I am left with "raw" cast iron every use.  I like the end result, but they seem finicky. I'm still experimenting with the grillgrates. 

• 2 years later...
Just coming in here to warn people off of the GrillGrate aluminum anodized grates. Aluminum has very little heat capacity, so when you toss something on there to sear, the grate immediately loses all its heat and doesn't perform worth a shit. Their marketing tries to make the high thermal conductivity sound like a positive - it isn't. I posted a longer response to an obvious spamming thread by them on the old board, but I bought one to try, tried it once, and threw it in the junk pile.

I got some after a recommendation from a friend. I was very skeptical because he’s a bit too into gadgets. First use was for burgers...I’ll just leave these here.

3d036da9352fdf12b0d7cf6c8433becf.jpg

10701b183085de6c1570abdd08d048ab.jpg
  • Like 1

My Genesis Silver turned 19 last month. It’s been through hell. I’m hoping for 25. Please pray for my Genesis. 

I made the mistake of replacing the original grates with stainless steel. I didn’t wait for them to wear out before I went back to cast iron. They take longer to heat up, but the cost is only pennies per meal. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Soft plastic...on a hot grill. Yes, this will go well.

Use a steel brush, be careful with a steel scraper. Wad of aluminum foil works surprisingly well as well. And get the stainless grates in 15yr when it's finally time to replace the grates.