Houston BBQ

mbtex

2 minutes ago, mbtex said:

I've had Truth, Killens and the now defunct Pappa Charlies. Trying to decide who to try next.

Go to Pinkertons if you haven’t been. Truth is great too, but Pinkertons is also a good place to hang out outside, and they have a full bar as well. That’s generally where I’ll take out of town friends if they’re wanting bbq and have caught several away UT games there as well. 

• Like 1

Going to Houston for a few days in May. So the consensus seems to be Truth over Pinkertons?

I think I am in the minority here, but yes. I talked about this in the Texas BBQ thread, but I had 3 bad experiences in a row at Pinkerton’s. For a long while Pinkerton’s was my go to in Houston. However, I tried again recently and had a solid meal. I didn’t think it was better than Truth though. I have never had a bad meal at the Houston location of truth and have been many, many times. Just my $.02.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think I am in the minority here, but yes. I talked about this in the Texas BBQ thread, but I had 3 bad experiences in a row at Pinkerton’s. For a long while Pinkerton’s was my go to in Houston. However, I tried again recently and had a solid meal. I didn’t think it was better than Truth though. I have never had a bad meal at the Houston location of truth and have been many, many times. Just my $.02.

Is Truth a get there and line up place or can I just swing by after a baseball game?

Is Truth a get there and line up place or can I just swing by after a baseball game?

Get there and line up. Although Pinkerton’s is also that way (except they have a bar). If you are looking for a place to swing by inside the loop, maybe try Henderson and Kane General Store. Good BBQ but I don’t think the same level as Tejas or Truth.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Damn. I thought with Pinkertons being an open all day place I wouldn’t need to wake up early.

Well, lately the lines haven't been too crazy.  At least on weekdays.  And you can still stroll in after lunch, but they (Pinkerton's and Truth) will likely be out of some items.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Going to Houston for a few days in May. So the consensus seems to be Truth over Pinkertons?

You can’t go wrong with either. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a meal at Pinkertons that wasn’t exemplary, and even then it was good but my expectations had been set very high. I also think Pinkertons gets a little extra love on here because the dude is a huge UT fan. 

31 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

You can’t go wrong with either. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a meal at Pinkertons that wasn’t exemplary, and even then it was good but my expectations had been set very high. I also think Pinkertons gets a little extra love on here because the dude is a huge UT fan. 

He’s a poster here as well. Or at least he was on TOS

7 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Anyone been to Pinkertons on a Thursday afternoon/evening ? Someone at work planned a get together there at 5. My thought was that since they have the full bar and so $1 beers they might cook more food and not be out of stuff, but I’m starting to rethink that. 

This would be good info for me as well 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If you're standing in line at Truth at 10:59 on a Friday, how long is the line usually? 

Truth is about 100 yards from my office, so take this for what it's worth: 

If you get there prior to open, you should be fine. The line is usually pretty long by 11:30, but it moves quick. I've never waited more than 20 minutes. There's often a decent window usually sometime between noon and 12:30 where the early crowd has moved through, but the late lunchers haven't arrived yet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Tejas is my overall favorite, but I haven't been to Truth yet. Pit Room has also been great every time I've been except once. I think their sausage is some of the best I've ever had.

Pinkerton's has been a little inconsistent for me, but still really good and I've had some great ribs from there.

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I completely agree that Truth > Pinkerton's. I've done their curbside almost every weekend since the pandemic hit and haven't had a bad meal yet. 

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Anyone been to Pinkertons on a Thursday afternoon/evening ? Someone at work planned a get together there at 5. My thought was that since they have the full bar and so $1 beers they might cook more food and not be out of stuff, but I’m starting to rethink that. 

last time i went @5 it was pretty dead but filled up by 6. the food was great, Ive never had a bad meal there

• Hook 'Em 1

May try to stop by Tejas this Saturday. What's the protocol and will I have to stand in line for an extended period of time if I'm getting food some time between 11 and 12:30? Also, looks like order online/carryout is an option. I'm assuming that's pretty quick?

I haven’t been on a Saturday in awhile. Seeing how more people are vaccinated and getting out, yeah, I would anticipate a line. Not sure if they still do free beer considering the pandemic. I would expect maybe 30-45 minute wait.

Pick up is great. You can always pick up and walk around the corner to the restaurant (the pick up location is same block, just around the corner) and eat at their outdoor tables. They don’t mind.

Basically do your online order, choose time, pay and either do curbside or walk in pick up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I haven’t been on a Saturday in awhile. Seeing how more people are vaccinated and getting out, yeah, I would anticipate a line. Not sure if they still do free beer considering the pandemic. I would expect maybe 30-45 minute wait.

Pick up is great. You can always pick up and walk around the corner to the restaurant (the pick up location is same block, just around the corner) and eat at their outdoor tables. They don’t mind.

Basically do your online order, choose time, pay and either do curbside or walk in pick up.

God Bless you sir! Will be at an all day lacrosse tournament and that will fit the bill perfectly.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is what we've done the last few times we went. Some guy who works there pointed us out and said 'See that? They found the loophole'.

Order ahead worked great and we sat on the porch. They were extremely nice and the food was outstanding. Ribs and Brisket stood out. Will definitely be going back anytime I'm that far north.

Thanks for the tips!

Edited by HoustonHorn
  • Like 2

Not sure i can classify it as "houston", but i was on my way out to la grange two weeks ago on a turkey hunt.  I stopped by at Doziers to check in on champkind, and to see how his operation is going.  I can tell you he has that place is freaking phenomenal form.  A walk through the kitchen on the way to a tour of the pit room showed a level of cleanliness that would rival any open kitchen fine dining establishment.  It was exceptional.  They are running a very tight ship there.  He's got several varieties of pit at his disposal and has them all pegged exactly to optimal temp for the dedicated proteins for each.  Dude is happy as a pig in shit out there, and is cooking the best bbq of his extremely successful career.  We bought meet and sides for 15 people and received universal rave reviews.  Many of you ate at Pappa Charlies and Bucks so you know champ can sling meat with the best of them, but i am telling you he has raised his game.  Whatever you think is your favorite or best houston bbq, just hold on a bit and get out to see Champ and sample what he is doing.  It will change your mind.  Super happy for him.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Not sure i can classify it as "houston", but i was on my way out to la grange two weeks ago on a turkey hunt.  I stopped by at Doziers to check in on champkind, and to see how his operation is going.  I can tell you he has that place is freaking phenomenal form.  A walk through the kitchen on the way to a tour of the pit room showed a level of cleanliness that would rival any open kitchen fine dining establishment.  It was exceptional.  They are running a very tight ship there.  He's got several varieties of pit at his disposal and has them all pegged exactly to optimal temp for the dedicated proteins for each.  Dude is happy as a pig in shit out there, and is cooking the best bbq of his extremely successful career.  We bought meet and sides for 15 people and received universal rave reviews.  Many of you ate at Pappa Charlies and Bucks so you know champ can sling meat with the best of them, but i am telling you he has raised his game.  Whatever you think is your favorite or best houston bbq, just hold on a bit and get out to see Champ and sample what he is doing.  It will change your mind.  Super happy for him.   

I'm not saying I won't try it, Brookshire to Austin is a food desert. But dude, I think you've been hacked. 

Tejas is my overall favorite, but I haven't been to Truth yet. Pit Room has also been great every time I've been except once. I think their sausage is some of the best I've ever had.

Pinkerton's has been a little inconsistent for me, but still really good and I've had some great ribs from there.

My last visit to Pinkerton’s was a little disappointing. I wonder if the attention to the Austin opening is related to the lapse? But most bbq spots seem to have inconsistency.

Truth was good but not great, IME. But maybe that was an off day for them.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

If you're standing in line at Truth at 10:59 on a Friday, how long is the line usually? 

I don't eat bfast and go to lunch every day at 11 am.  I've been to Truth probably 25x since covid and  I've never waited more than 5 minutes at 11 am (weekdays), even thu and fridays.

I see the line form while I eat and when I'm leaving at 1130-1140ish, it's gotta be around 20 minutes normally, with Fridays being north of that for sure.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

I don't eat bfast and go to lunch every day at 11 am.  I've been to Truth probably 25x since covid and  I've never waited more than 5 minutes at 11 am (weekdays), even thu and fridays.

I see the line form while I eat and when I'm leaving at 1130-1140ish, it's gotta be around 20 minutes normally, with Fridays being north of that for sure.

Breakfast is for losers.  Unless it is a Whataburber jalapeño biscuit or a solid breakfast taco (not from some gringo spot).

Truth is the truth. 

And it seems he knows how to run a restaurant better than a certain someone that screwed several surly posters out of their investment via gross negligence. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Breakfast is for losers.  Unless it is a Whataburber jalapeño biscuit or a solid breakfast taco (not from some gringo spot).

Truth is the truth. 

And it seems he knows how to run a restaurant better than a certain someone that screwed several surly posters out of their investment via gross negligence. 

You are subtle, not sure who you are talking about.

I know nothing about homey but I do know that I gave papa Charlie's a try a few times but I stopped going when I would order moist brisket at 1130 am and they--consecutive times--told me all they had was lean.  How do you consistently run out of moist brisket 30 minutes after opening when there was no line?   

I don't want to trigger any ladies/mother's on this day so I'll leave my opinion on those who order lean brisket for another day.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Gonna have to give them another shot. Tried them 2-3 times and kind of lumped them in with the Pit Room. New spot is closer to home and much easier to park.

I think their future will depend on their specials and cheap drinks. They need to offer their beef rib weekly. 

Daily specials and cheap beer will put asses in seats. Their brisket won’t. I thought they were hit and miss on the staple menu items, but they’re just not very good. They kill it on the sides, but can’t figure out brisket. 

• Hook 'Em 1