Houston BBQ

mbtex

I think their future will depend on their specials and cheap drinks. They need to offer their beef rib weekly. 

Daily specials and cheap beer will put asses in seats. Their brisket won’t. I thought they were hit and miss on the staple menu items, but they’re just not very good. They kill it on the sides, but can’t figure out brisket. 

I can’t recall if I tried their bbq 2 or 3 times at greenway. Regardless, I walked away thinking it was solid bbq, but for the effort I would rather go to Truth for inside the loop spots. I read rave reviews for them, but my experience fell short. No ill will towards them, but what I had heard didn’t measure up to what I got.

blows me away when a bbq place can't put out decent / rudy's quality brisket 

It truly is amazing.

Regardless, I will wait a month for them to settle in, then I will give them another shot. If it’s the same as before, for a similar price as Truth (maybe 2 miles away), I won’t be going back.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

blows me away when a bbq place can't put out decent / rudy's quality brisket 

I think the problem is scaling up. Much like many Surly posters, the Feges pitmaster can make a good brisket. If you can make an outstanding beef rib, you can make a good brisket. 

I might give their brisket another shot. I’ll ask for a moist cut and see what’s what. Anything to avoid a dry portion. 

Their chicken is outstanding, but nobody cares about chicken. 

@Patricio Swayze what’s the new place in Meyerland? I might send my wife down there on a lunch run next week. 

I think the problem is scaling up. Much like many Surly posters, the Feges pitmaster can make a good brisket. If you can make an outstanding beef rib, you can make a good brisket. 

I might give their brisket another shot. I’ll ask for a moist cut and see what’s what. Anything to avoid a dry portion. 

Their chicken is outstanding, but nobody cares about chicken. 

[mention=98]Patricio Swayze[/mention] what’s the new place in Meyerland? I might send my wife down there on a lunch run next week. 

There is a new place in Meyerland? Haven’t heard anything.

My wife has suggested we get bbq today for Father’s Day, and I am not going to turn down the opportunity. We usually hit Pinkertons but I think I’m going to suggest we try truth today… I’ve only been to the one in Brenham coming home from a UT game, but it was the best plate of bbq I’ve ever had, Franklin included. Will report back. I hope they sell Mexican cokes

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife has suggested we get bbq today for Father’s Day, and I am not going to turn down the opportunity. We usually hit Pinkertons but I think I’m going to suggest we try truth today… I’ve only been to the one in Brenham coming home from a UT game, but it was the best plate of bbq I’ve ever had, Franklin included. Will report back. I hope they sell Mexican cokes

Good choice. I don’t remember if the have Mexican Coke. They used to be the most reliable when it comes to OG Big Red but the last couple of times I went they were out.

4 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

you will not be disappointed !

On 6/22/2021 at 11:06 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

I posted about it in the BBQ thread a few months ago. Got the trinity. It was excellent. Neck and neck with Blood Bros for best cue in that area

good info. my new side piece lives down that way. im stopping the next time i go over 

• 2 weeks later...

Smoked a brisket last night/this morning for dinner tonight and decided I wanted to make Truth’s tater tot casserole. Maybe it was the volume they have to make it in at the Houston location, but I found the one in Brenham to have the better version. Anyway, it turned out fucking great, dare I say better than the side of it I got there a couple weeks ago. 

recipe: https://www.insidehook.com/article/food-and-drink/tater-tot-casserole-recipe-truth-bbq-texas

1F3F925E-1580-4973-A8F5-85C0A063340A.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 3

Made it to feges.  Solid place.   My lunch at truth is always $25.  This was $20.  Both are like $4.00 too high but relative value to each other, it's at equilibrium.  

Feges = great service, more convenient for me, slightly lower prices

Truth = better bbq, corn pudding from the Gods, better tea and soda, more $

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:21 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Breakfast is for losers.  Unless it is a Whataburber jalapeño biscuit or a solid breakfast taco (not from some gringo spot).

Truth is the truth. 

And it seems he knows how to run a restaurant better than a certain someone that screwed several surly posters out of their investment via gross negligence. 

Champ's a good pitmaster.  That doesn't necessarily mean he's a good businessman.  Investing in a restaurant is a high risk proposition at the best of times.

Champ's a good pitmaster.  That doesn't necessarily mean he's a good businessman.  Investing in a restaurant is a high risk proposition at the best of times.

I agree. And I never said he wasn’t a good pitmaster. How full of himself was a bit off putting sometimes. I liked his food a lot. But not as much as Tejas, Truth, Valentina’s, Willow’s, etc.

22 minutes ago, mycox said:

I haven't heard much about Piper’s BBQ & Beer and might check it out this weekend. Located on Shepherd and 24th.

20 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I tried it last year. It was ok, but there are other, better options in the area.

Edit:

Post 4772 in the Texas BBQ thread was my review.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/barbecue/article/Piper-s-one-of-the-best-new-barbecue-joints-16317157.php

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

More recently, Orozco has turned the melted beef fat, known as tallow, into one of the most unusual dishes I’ve tasted in Houston barbecue — smoked beef tallow ice cream.

Orozco melts the fat on the pit, giving it a slightly smoky flavor, then clarifies it to remove all the impurities. He then sends it to Fat Cat Creamery just a few blocks to the south, whom Piper’s has partnered with to make the ice cream.

The tallow gives the ice cream a silky, rich texture and a subtle flavor of smoke. Orozco tops it with candied brisket — thin-sliced brisket covered in brown sugar and caramelized on a flat-top griddle.

78DD5284-B60C-4262-8039-A60C147C6DF0.png

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Really looking forward to this place opening. Not sure the exact date, but it looks like all the smokers are ready to go (saw it on Willow’s Instagram). I was sad when Willow quit the food truck and really stoked to see he will be cooking again.

https://jbarmbbq.com

Parking situation? Looks like a beautiful space. 

I've had top tier brisket from Corkscrew, Tejas, Truth, Pit Room, and Pinkerton's although I've also had mediocre from Pit Room, Corkscrew and Pinkerton's. Never had a bad meal from Tejas and only had Truth once so far, but will definitely be back.

The Chile Relleno sausage from Tejas is unbelievable, but overall I still think the best sausage I've had is from Pit Room. I really liked the house sausage from Truth also. Best ribs I've had are probably Pinkerton's.

I just love that we have all these options in the area.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 2:39 PM, TonyTexas said:

Place seems to finally be catching on. Coming home from work a few evenings ago, the outdoor area was busier than I've ever seen, and this was in the middle of a downpour. 

21 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Really looking forward to this place opening. Not sure the exact date, but it looks like all the smokers are ready to go (saw it on Willow’s Instagram). I was sad when Willow quit the food truck and really stoked to see he will be cooking again.

https://jbarmbbq.com

Looks great and gives us another option in East part of town. Can't wait to try

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Parking situation? Looks like a beautiful space. 

it sucks on weekends. around the corner and leeland brunch on weekends is 1.5 hrs+ wait.

i hate, hate that people feel everything has to be concentrated in that one area 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

it sucks on weekends. around the corner and leeland brunch on weekends is 1.5 hrs+ wait.

i hate, hate that people feel everything has to be concentrated in that one area 

Freaking Eado. Whenever I see something cool is opening down there, I temper my expectations because of parking. I’m not going to take an Uber just to go eat lunch. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Freaking Eado. Whenever I see something cool is opening down there, I temper my expectations because of parking. I’m not going to take an Uber just to go eat lunch. 

LOL at “Eado.”  That label is so contrived.  

The only thing worsterer is the sign I saw over by my warehouse around 290 and 610.  Some fool developed an office building with restaurant space on the first floor on N. Post Oak Road between Hempstead Hwy and Old Katy Road.  

Yes, you guessed it.  

“NoPo”

(very classist). 

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, deadshank said:

The only thing worsterer is the sign I saw over by my warehouse around 290 and 610.  Some fool developed an office building with restaurant space on the first floor on N. Post Oak Road between Hempstead Hwy and Old Katy Road.  

Yes, you guessed it.  

“NoPo”

(very classist). 

Contrived sure, but it's the accepted term. I don't think I've ever heard it called East Downtown. 

On 7/18/2021 at 3:46 PM, deadshank said:

Yes, you guessed it.  

“NoPo”

(very classist). 

i think i raged about that somewhere around here. 

On 7/16/2021 at 2:31 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I agree. And I never said he wasn’t a good pitmaster. How full of himself was a bit off putting sometimes. I liked his food a lot. But not as much as Tejas, Truth, Valentina’s, Willow’s, etc.

He's a sanctimonious son of a bitch.  It is known.

His cue at Doziers is A+ and on par with anything you mention above.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, Hornbeliever said:

Made it to feges.  Solid place.   My lunch at truth is always $25.  This was $20.  Both are like $4.00 too high but relative value to each other, it's at equilibrium.  

Feges = great service, more convenient for me, slightly lower prices

Truth = better bbq, corn pudding from the Gods, better tea and soda, more $

I've been to Feges about 6 times now and would rank it solidly ahead of Pit Room and a bit better than Pinkerton's (which for me has been very inconsistent). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I need to try feges 

I went to the Longpoint location last week for the second time.   It was very good.  The ribs are a little sweet for my taste but meaty, moist and a perfect pull from the bone.  

I had two slices of brisket off the fat end and they were perfection.   Perfect moisture, meat / fat ratio, tender but not mushy, smoky but not overdone and smoke damaged.

I know that sometimes a pitmaster gets meat that cooperates and others that don’t to go along with the myriad (plethora) of other factors to produce consistent and great bbq.  

This is one of those times when every bite of the brisket was shear perfection.  

The pickles were meh.  No tortillas.

Free parking.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

I know you posted on the casserole but you didn't mention your Truth experience.  

4 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I know you posted on the casserole but you didn't mention your Truth experience.  

Well, I’ve had Truth twice since then rather than Pinkerton’s, so it was certainly enjoyable. I personally haven’t had a bad meal at Pinkertons in a long time, which I know some people seem to mention, but I’m a big fan of both and I think they’re both doing it the right way. I may give Truth a slight edge on brisket but I prefer the ribs at Pinkertons. 

I’m still not sure if I’ll ever have a better tray of bbq than I did that day in Brenham though

• Hook 'Em 1

Killens lunch today. No pics. Place was  slammed, very busy at lunch. Got chopped beef on a potato and a couple of ribs. The ribs were exceptional. The sob or spices were a little different and it was damn good. They cut me a piece of ends, very flavorful. No one out there can touch this place. It’s not truth / tejas / Pinkerton but it was pretty damn good. Come to think of it they never gave me pickles or japs

• Hook 'Em 1