Houston BBQ

mbtex

My Joe Dimagio streak at Truth is over.  I'd say 35 or so consecutive visits where I was not disappointed (i.e. got happily fatter) came to an end.  Got my usual brisket and pulled pork and both were Rudy's quality (which isn't bad to me, just not worth waiting in line or paying a premium for like you do at Truth).

This will continue to be my go-to bbq place but sad that the streak didn't hit 56.  I hope this was just a hiccup and not some change in quality or pitmasters or something.

On 10/19/2021 at 9:49 PM, Hornbeliever said:

My Joe Dimagio streak at Truth is over.  I'd say 35 or so consecutive visits where I was not disappointed (i.e. got happily fatter) came to an end.  Got my usual brisket and pulled pork and both were Rudy's quality (which isn't bad to me, just not worth waiting in line or paying a premium for like you do at Truth).

This will continue to be my go-to bbq place but sad that the streak didn't hit 56.  I hope this was just a hiccup and not some change in quality or pitmasters or something.

Did you tell them?  

I’ve noticed that at most places that I frequent and are also well respected (I know, mutually exclusive and what not) that if a meal is not up to standards, they will re-serve you with no questions asked.  

Just smile and be cordial and polite while saying the meal is not good when compared to previous visits and you get a do-over.  

On 10/21/2021 at 6:14 AM, deadshank said:

Did you tell them?  

I’ve noticed that at most places that I frequent and are also well respected (I know, mutually exclusive and what not) that if a meal is not up to standards, they will re-serve you with no questions asked.  

Just smile and be cordial and polite while saying the meal is not good when compared to previous visits and you get a do-over.  

Thought about telling them but at this high a quality start rate, I figured one L isn't worth complaining about.  2 L's in a row, I for sure would say something.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll probably get flamed, but Brisket House on Augusta was very solid on my last visit. 3 meat plate and 2 sides for 20 bucks. Beef rib for $20 a pound. Those prices are tough to beat, and there’s never a line. And they’re open for dinner. 

My recs: 

- They put the meat on top of the pickles and onions. This is bizarre and gross. Order the pickles and onions on the side. 
- Great moist brisket. Extremely pedestrian regular brisket. Order the moist. 
- Regular sausage is better than the spicy. 
- Good green beans. Great creamed corn. 
- Their smoker is indoors. Your clothes and hair will reek like smoke afterwards. I usually go after work outs when I have to change and shower anyway. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2021 at 9:49 PM, Hornbeliever said:

Perhaps try J bar M over on Leeland that recently opened.  I have sampled it 4 times in the 3 weeks that have been open, and will put them at the top of the houston bbq heap right now.  it has been consistent in it's excellence so far.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, mycox said:

Patricio Swayze is going to be sad. Pitmaster Willow Villarreal and chef Jasmine Barela are leaving J-Bar-M in EaDo. Sounds like ownership wants to go in a different direction regarding light night food and bar service.

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-14-22-jasmine-barela-willow-villarreal-chefs-leave-j-bar-m-barbecue-eado/

owner sounds like a huge dick

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up at J bar M on lunch for Friday.  It was convenient.   The space and back yard are great lots of parking too.  Food?  $26 for a 2 meat combo.  I did brisket and ribs. It was solid but not anywhere near $26 good.  On a scale of Pinkerton to Pappas, it’s closer to Pappas BBQ.  Def better, but not near Pinkerton like quality.  I’d go back for a sandwich and beers on the patio tho. 

Ended up at J bar M on lunch for Friday.  It was convenient.   The space and back yard are great lots of parking too.  Food?  $26 for a 2 meat combo.  I did brisket and ribs. It was solid but not anywhere near $26 good.  On a scale of Pinkerton to Pappas, it’s closer to Pappas BBQ.  Def better, but not near Pinkerton like quality.  I’d go back for a sandwich and beers on the patio tho. 

They lost their pitmaster Willow. Without him they are likely just some other middle of the herd bbq place with a ton of overhead. I won’t go back without Willow.

Your scale should be Tejas/Truth as the top end

This is correct.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Been taking my kid to ninja warrior place near spring branch and seen Aunt Pookies BBQ many times. Anyone tried it?  Better or worse than Rudy's?

had many lunches there. Bbq chicken was my goto. Sandwiches are damn solid (burgers too)

never had a bad meal but never strayed from those two 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/23/2023 at 6:19 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I hate to say it, but I don’t see myself going back to Pinkerton’s unless someone else is paying. I am happy a Longhorn is being successful.

The big question is when do we go somewhere good when YOU’RE paying?

Grant must have broiled Patricio Swayze's brisket or pissed in his beer. I have never seen someone so adamant about not going to a reputable BBQ place. I think he would rather eat at Goode BBQ than Pinkerton’s.

Definitely would not go to Goode over Pinkerton’s. You must not remember all the drama from the old site.

I was all in on Pinkerton’s right after they opened. Met Grant several times. Very nice guy and great pitmaster. The food was great. I would tell everyone to go there offline and on. I had to convince a group of guys that were real close with Mac to try it out. It was a secret lunch they didn’t want him to know about. Mac talked shit about Grant up until he helped his ass out when his to be opened spot in the Heights was flooded. Then all of the sudden Mac loved Grant. Finally, some pencil dick on the old site was railing on Grant because he had the fucking audacity to open a restaurant with the help of his family. Again, I defended Grant and Pinkerton’s. I continued to go there for a few more years but then I had back to back terrible meals. Not talking “meh, that was ok”. BAD. it happens. Took some time off went back, and while it was better, it wasn’t nearly as good as a few other places in town but cost just as much. Again, took a couple years off from visiting. Went back for a sandwich because those are hard to fuck it. This was last year. Again, for the price I paid I could have gone down the road to Truth and been much happier.

It’s no ill will towards Grant, but at the very least, the Houston location fell off hard.

The end.
  • Hook 'Em 2