Why does everyone who doesn't agree in lockstep with everything I do have to be right wing?

Celery Man

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I used to think that, but far too many people these days are locked into some kind of binary/team politics, where you don't get to move around on the political spectrum anymore, or you don't get to select candidates from multiple parties when you vote.  For some, it's turned into "You grew up in this location, therefore you must vote for this party" or "your dad/uncle/whoever is a Republican, you should be a Republican!" or "I can't comprehend how you can't see things differently than the way I see them!"

And the funny thing is, Trump switched parties multiple times, he was a Democrat, was an independent, etc., and if I toss that out there to those folks, it's more of a "Oh, he was just doing that for business reasons!" They can't even use the excuse that he was a Democrat in the 60s/70s and then swung over to the GOP, since he was a Dem in the 2000s while George W. was President.

Hell, these people have forgotten that back in the 80s and into the 90s, Democrats ran Texas.  I like to toss out there that Rick Perry ran Al Gore's campaign in Texas for a little bit of "WTF?"

Democrats are wary of Republicans who turn into Democrats - they def hold them at arm's length to avoid them pushing the party right/center right.

Republicans not only welcome anyone switching sides, but elect them President!  Talk the talk and that's all they care about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Democrats are wary of Republicans who turn into Democrats - they def hold them at arm's length to avoid them pushing the party right/center right.

Republicans not only welcome anyone switching sides, but elect them President!  Talk the talk and that's all they care about. 

Republicans are now a party that, regardless of Liz Cheney, McCarthy, and The Turtle, will instantly turn on anybody who doesn't march in lockstep with Trump and Co.

We had a sitting President and his sons vowing to primary any Republican who didn't fully support him.

Hell, we are on the cusp of Trump and Sons breaking off and forming a MAGA party, because they aren't happy that there are Republicans who don't like Trump.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don’t care about the right wing types or at least those who act like it...they’re entitled to their opinions.  But DT has been a beating to read due to the same dozen or so posters that rail against the media constantly, try to bait Captainant, shit on the CR, and whine about moderation in any thread that could touch covid, race, police or guns.  

Seemed everyone agreed the Ohio shooting was reasonably justified and then it turned into four pages of hating on the media...all the while cherry picking tweets or headlines to back it up.  

I’m not asking for anything, moderation or otherwise, just noting it’s a small handful of posters.  They may not always start the shit, but are always there to brigade when it happens...

• Hook 'Em 9

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Thanks for the laugh. Ronald Reagan forever! 

GOPs have bought into demagogues telling then that Libs/Dems/Environmental Wackos/Feminazis/Eccentric BLACK Women Dem Reps hate America and want to bring the good, clean-living true believers to their knees.

In short:

spacer.png

52 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You're in a political world where the stinking Democrats, my party, have become through pure relativity the shining good guys just because they don't hate people of color, they see citizens as basically equal, and they respect America's democratic traditions and institutions. What is left of the GOP has no use for any of that bullshit. They've pulled loose from their anchors on the foundation of what we thought this country was and knuckle-dragged towards fascism.

You probably don't like the Democratic Party. Hell, I don't like it that much myself, but it's how I traditionally vote. I can totally see why you don't want to align yourself with the Dems on real policy issues. But you may have to stand with them on basic foundational beliefs in the American system until a party more suited to you arises.

Your later description of America as a middle country is quaint. So we all believed. We have 70 million voters embracing a would-be autocrat. The same number doesn't care about honesty, respecting the vote, or even weighing different sources of news and information. That's not a traditional GOP-Dem battleground. It's an existential struggle more profound than party politics.

This level of arrogance and elitism sums up this board perfectly.  A 100% complete lack of self awareness, and before any actual issue is discussed, you have already demonized your "opponent" and placed yourself above them with no real knowledge to do so.  Sprinkle in the inability to call out your own hypocrisy and here we are.  Twitter does not represent a majority of Americans.

Love to throw out this hateful rhetoric that paints themselves as saints (the god complex is unbecoming), while not being able to provide an actual example of their projection.

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

This level of arrogance and elitism sums up this board perfectly.  A 100% complete lack of self awareness, and before any actual issue is discussed, you have already demonized your "opponent" and placed yourself above them with no real knowledge to do so.  Sprinkle in the inability to call out your own hypocrisy and here we are.  Twitter does not represent a majority of Americans.

Love to throw out this hateful rhetoric that paints themselves as saints (the god complex is unbecoming), while not being able to provide an actual example of their projection.

Republicans as a party have perpetuated racist dogwhistles and voter disenfranchisement laws that disproportionally target poor and minority groups. Republicans as a party backed the attempted fascist coup on January 6th, and have fought any and all investigation and oversight into what happened and how it was allowed to happen.

Rather than just lobbing criticisms of hypocrisy absent any sort of backing evidence, why don't you provide some specific examples like I just did for why the GOP is not and cannot claim to be the "good guy"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Um, maybe I'm missing his point, but I read RomaVicta's depiction not as saints, but as appearing saintly due to some of the darker things that have happened recently like the insurrection, hence the relativity comment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A 100% complete lack of self awareness, and before any actual issue is discussed, you have already demonized your "opponent" and placed yourself above them with no real knowledge to do so. 

There was literally a coup attempt before Biden/Democrats could even take office and demonized him and leading Democrats as enemies of America and deserving to be murdered inside the Capitol by an angry mob riled up by Trump and Fox News. 

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

GIF by FOX International Channels

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Well, Republicans have embraced becoming the party of Trump, the party of nativism, Anglo Saxon caucuses, and violent insurrections when elections don't go their way.  The GOP arm of the media is currently having a hissy fit and a meltdown that a white cop who murdered someone is actually getting convicted and punished for it.

Maybe all Republicans don't support the above, but the above is driving the direction of the GOP.  Pat Buchanan used to be a fringe outlier in the party and now people like him are behind the wheel.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Oh, and I'm not demonizing you Chicken Sandwich, at least not my intent. I didn't comprehend his sentence you quoted the same way you did. Maybe ask him for clarification?

Simple. Rejecting the Democratic Party platform and policies does not mean you hate brown people or voted for dictator rule.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I joke with Republican relatives when they bring up people switching parties, and mention that they are probably Soros-funded, playing a long game to get in there and mess with the party.

Or am I joking?

33 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The level is stupidity in this post sums up this group of the board perfectly.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Um, maybe I'm missing his point, but I read RomaVicta's depiction not as saints, but as appearing saintly due to some of the darker things that have happened recently like the insurrection, hence the relativity comment.

Hyperbolic. “Insurrection”. A small group of criminals who walked around the capital for 4 hours who burned nothing, looted Nancy and murdered no one. Charge them for their crimes. 

there is a desperation to turn 1/6 into the second civil war to validate the fear mongering projected during the Trump administration. It’s validation in your mind. 

to the average American (non CR poster or mainstream media) it was a nothing burger and no one cares who goes to jail for breaking the law. idiots on an afternoon. 

The domestic terrorism that lasted 6 months and watched cities burn, businesses looted and over 100 lives lost was ten times worse than the afternoon of the 6th. 

• Fuck You 5

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Simple. Rejecting the Democratic Party platform and policies does not mean you hate brown people or voted for dictator rule.  

No one said that it does. Voting Republican means you either support those things or they don’t matter to you enough to change your voting habits.

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Hyperbolic. “Insurrection”. A small group of criminals who walked around the capital for 4 hours who burned nothing, looted Nancy and murdered no one. Charge them for their crimes. 

there is a desperation to turn 1/6 into the second civil war to validate the fear mongering projected during the Trump administration. It’s validation in your mind. 

to the average American (non CR poster or mainstream media) it was a nothing burger and no one cares who goes to jail for breaking the law. idiots on an afternoon. 

The domestic terrorism that lasted 6 months and watched cities burn, businesses looted and over 100 lives lost was ten times worse than the afternoon of the 6th. 

6 people died including a member of Capitol police and blood was spilled inside the Capitol. This is why y’all left the CR. You try to live in an alternate reality.

The fear mongering that he was an autocrat who would attempt to subvert democracy? Oh yea he did that.

Prove it. Use some facts or data and prove the claim that average Americans thought it was a nothing burger.

I wonder why people might think you are racist or at least not on the side of POC.

You honestly could not have done a better job proving our point with this post. Well done.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Immigration - quadruple legal immigration. Eliminate illegal immigration. Robust worker visa program with essentially an open border for those with them. 

free college - community college and trade schools. Yes!

abortion - not my call, but limiting 3rd trimester abortions seems like a good compromise 

criminal justice reform - yes, especially for non violent drug offenders 

Invest in mental health treatment facilities. Maybe even implement within all levels of primary school. 

Invest in addiction treatment centers as opposed to jail

Larger independent safety nets for individuals as opposed to government safety nets. 

incentiveze manufacturing to move from China to Central America. Good for immigration, good for business and good for the environment 

Voter ID - join the rest of the industrialized world that all require ID to vote. 

Against court packing, DC statehood ( vote in Maryland or Virginia if need be)  and the removal of the filibuster 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Interesting post. I do my best not to pigeon hole posters here unless they do that to themselves (Johnny Sack, GR Horn, Chickensandwich), and I don't hold grudges against those guys. 

You describe yourself as someone who, as far as I can tell, is actually not right of center. You're left of center even though you may be considered a conservative of the old school. Like many here, you've lost your party. Not only that, but your former party is aligning itself and defining itself with America's most degenerate and deleterious traits.

You're in a political world where the stinking Democrats, my party, have become through pure relativity the shining good guys just because they don't hate people of color, they see citizens as basically equal, and they respect America's democratic traditions and institutions. What is left of the GOP has no use for any of that bullshit. They've pulled loose from their anchors on the foundation of what we thought this country was and knuckle-dragged towards fascism.

You probably don't like the Democratic Party. Hell, I don't like it that much myself, but it's how I traditionally vote. I can totally see why you don't want to align yourself with the Dems on real policy issues. But you may have to stand with them on basic foundational beliefs in the American system until a party more suited to you arises.

Your later description of America as a middle country is quaint. So we all believed. We have 70 million voters embracing a would-be autocrat. The same number doesn't care about honesty, respecting the vote, or even weighing different sources of news and information. That's not a traditional GOP-Dem battleground. It's an existential struggle more profound than party politics.

I like your political views. I know you won't become a Dem, and I'm glad that not everybody wants to be a Dem. Many Dems are idiots and cowards and self-serving hogs just like most politicians. They just happen to be on the right side of this whole existential struggle thing this time.

monica

giphy.gif

Edited by staboner

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No one said that it does. Voting Republican means you either support those things or they don’t matter to you enough to change your voting habits.

A false choice again. 

Ex. Unchecked illegal immigration/asylum directly hurts our working class people of color as they compete for jobs, housing, education and health care. 

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

A false choice again. 

Ex. Unchecked illegal immigration/asylum directly hurts our working class people of color as they compete for jobs, housing, education and health care. 

Prove it. 

Pretending the Republican Party isn’t an open enemy of POC doesn’t help your argument. Again you want to argue a fantasy that’s not supported by facts or evidence. Sorry. This is why y’all bailed to DT. You stopped being able to defend these ridiculous positions the Republicans have dug into. The party supports racist policies. Either you support those or some other Republican policy is important enough to you that you accept the racism. Just own it.

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

6 people died including a member of Capitol police and blood was spilled inside the Capitol. This is why y’all left the CR. You try to live in an alternate reality.

The fear mongering that he was an autocrat who would attempt to subvert democracy? Oh yea he did that.

Prove it. Use some facts or data and prove the claim that average Americans thought it was a nothing burger.

I wonder why people might think you are racist or at least not on the side of POC.

You honestly could not have done a better job proving our point with this post. Well done.

This says 4. 2 of natural causes. 1 from an accident and 1 shot by security. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox23.com/news/trending/dc-medical-examiner-confirms-causes-death-4-who-died-jan-6-capitol-riot/MZMP3MS2JZGTHKAGBM2YPCRG5I/%3foutputType=amp

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Fair enough.  I've had time to read this twice now.  I wasn't calling you out specifically, even though I did quote you.  I was also being hyperbolic because it sickens me how we've become a nation where anyone that doesn't completely agree with everything we think, we must categorize/ostracize them into "the other side" and such.  

I'm a barely right of center person.  I have supported criminal justice reform, am firmly against qualified immunity/association of church and state (even though I'm a Christian, gahh!!!)/the War on Drugs/Weaponizing the Police and a host of other things.  I'm for various ideas of flat and national sales taxes and against property/income(outside of flat)/estate taxes.  I'm for a much smaller government, and against excessive government spending, on anything.  I'm for gun ownership, but not against reforms that better track and monitor their ownership.   I don't give 2 shits about someone's sexual preferences/race/religion/ethos, but I'm also not in favor of FEDERAL laws specifically biased towards any specific one or group.   

So, in light of that, it makes me sick when people draw a line in the sand before their argument even starts.  I quoted you in the other thread to bring up the point, not to accuse you (and I'm glad you started a thread to discuss it) of anything in particular.  The folks on the far right are equally guilty of drawing lines as the folks on the far left.  

The thing is, and I firmly believe this still, that America is still a middle country where most people can either agree on much of the same things or agree to disagree on a few key objects that they personally have a deeply vested interest in or are deeply profound beliefs about.  The loudest of the fringes make so much more noise than the 'agreeable' middle that that is all we hear about.  Ever.  

We're also a country that's been sold shit sandwiches for leadership for a while now.  Take that as you will.  I've voted for independents or write-ins (when that was still a thing, is it?) rather than parading a donkey or elephant around.  I've also voted for donkeys and elephants.  I've been accused by hardcore Trumpers as being a leftist and I've been called a piece of shit right wing fascist on this board.  Whatever.  I'm neither.  Never will be.   

But one thing I believe in firmly is this:  Supporting and legislation of only the views that you support (the royal you), i.e. acceptance of only what is acceptable to me and my worldview, is fascism in and of itself, however and whatever side it comes from.    

thank you for your response - I was hoping you would follow up. that all or mostly sounds reasonable, and if you were speaking about an attitude generally that makes sense.

To the broader argument of "this divisiveness is the real problem! (on both sides!)", I would strongly argue that we are past the point where it is reasonable. The literal leader of the republican party attempted to overthrow our government. Here we can get into the thing about how we can't agree on facts, but that is a thing that fucking happened. You can't really bridge the divide if the other side is fundamentally against the foundational principles of our society. The rope is at an end, there can't be any more give. But, that's just about that general type of both sidesism deflection in the year 2021.

It could be that I was painting with too broad of a brush and including some non-right wing police violence enthusiasts (or enthusiasts of black lives not mattering) who join in on the DTCR bandwagon in the protest thread. It's hard to tell. I also think that there are a lot of people who lie to themselves about who they are. I mean, we all do that to an extent. But, as an example, if you (not you trey, "one") voted for Trump and would vote for him again, and you continue to support people like Ted Cruz and think that you are fundamentally a moderate or a constitutionalist and a proponent of the values of real America, that's a lie you are telling yourself about who you are or at least who you are being. It's not accurate, but it lets you convince yourself that it is the children who are wrong.

I'm not trying to be combative at all right now but feel like I probably am a bit - I am actually, authentically, very mad about the attempt to overthrow the government, as well as the prolonged and very successful effort undermine democracy and poison the well so it will take a generation to save it if we can. I am POSITIVE you disagree with me that that is what is happening, but (I don't know if you, Trey, are this guy) if you are one of those "I'm in touch with the real America and what we want is what the elephant dudes are saying" people and are angry about the leftist mob destroying your country, can you imagine that you might feel the same way on the other side, where there are actually way more Americans who agree with you? I just mean, identifying with country folk doesn't give you a monopoly on the real America. It's silly.

I'm rambling a bunch - thanks for following up and not ducking the thread, and thanks for the clarification.

immamac - i started this thread simply to not be a hypocrite and fork that discussion into the appropriate forum. I know that a safe space forum for the "other side" probably won't work but I wish it would. It sucks that they are shitting up the actual news board, and the bitchassed running commentary about how they have cordoned off the libs in the politics board that they ran away from is hard to not comment on. Maybe we could add a rep that colorfully suggests "Stop being a pussy and take it to CR" or something like that. You could even make it gray rep. Alternately, rename the Daily Texan "One Surly News" or something and we can just say it is what it is. We can't have a "News" board that is also the "Alternate Facts News and Bitch About The Libs" board. But I would settle for a rep with a unicorn farting "take it to CR, pussy" in rainbow.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I was one too high actually but here’s the info if you’d like to actual join reality.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/us/who-died-in-capitol-building-attack.amp.html

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Prove it. 

Pretending the Republican Party isn’t an open enemy of POC doesn’t help your argument. Again you want to argue a fantasy that’s not supported by facts or evidence. Sorry. This is why y’all bailed to DT. You stopped being able to defend these ridiculous positions the Republicans have dug into. The party supports racist policies. Either you support those or some other Republican policy is important enough to you that you accept the racism. Just own it.

Crazy to think that the Republican  party increased their minority vote totals. 

51 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Republicans as a party have perpetuated racist dogwhistles and voter disenfranchisement laws that disproportionally target poor and minority groups. Republicans as a party backed the attempted fascist coup on January 6th, and have fought any and all investigation and oversight into what happened and how it was allowed to happen.

Rather than just lobbing criticisms of hypocrisy absent any sort of backing evidence, why don't you provide some specific examples like I just did for why the GOP is not and cannot claim to be the "good guy"

You called this a dog whistle. I don't know how you see two white guys and think racism.

Edited by workswithseed

21 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Literally the whole post. 

You are a fucking insane person who has lost all touch with reality. People were literally charged with insurrection and inciting insurrection. It's not fucking hyperbolic. 

Like seriously why the fuck should I even let you keep posting here? Apparently you fucking hate everyone anyway. Just do everyone a favor and fucking leave on your own.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Quote my straight up lie please

here's teh deal, you aren't lying, but you are disingenuous as you lob individual acts to argue against structural decay/change. 

this is about what we prioritise. not about everything going on everywhere all the time. 

most of us here know the federal systems is dysfunctional, but we want to fight autocratic BS at any moment. you take solace in pretending we are democrats in some form or fashion. that is your preemptive defense mechanism (see first comment to Roma's post which Whiggins promptly corrected you on). so long as you arrive in this defensive manner and parade around a series of society's ills to make points that aren't priority - you will not be taken seriously.

and I for one would like you to be taken seriously. we have to break this wall of communication down or we will all continue to devolve into conflict. 

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's all projection.  They have always been the snowflakes.

Always been about the cancel culture
Always been the snowflakes
Always been the communists
Always been the fascists
Always been the racists
Always been the dogmatic ones that try to force their beliefs down people's throats
Always been the ones opposed to civil rights

When you resist those things, in their tiny minds, you're the one that's guilty of those things precisely because you resisted them.

When you resist their calls to cancel things like Dungeons and Dragons, the Teletubbies, a great chunk of the music industry, etc, that's you being all about cancel culture.
When you resist their whines and bitches about QAnon, Jade Helm 15, Pizzagate, the fake COVID-19 scamdemic, etc, that's you being a snowflake
When you oppose corporate welfare, that's you being a communist
When you oppose bills like these https://kfor.com/news/oklahoma-legislature/oklahoma-bill-seeking-to-protect-drivers-who-run-over-protesters-heads-to-governors-desk/, that's you being a fascist
When you say things like "whether white people want to admit it or not, they've enjoyed a degree of privilege in America that no other race has," that's you being a racist.
When you oppose the suggestion, as so many states have, that history classes in public schools need to teach that God's holy finger wrote the Constitution before he handed it off to Jesus and Moses to deliver to the Constitutional Convention, you're being dogmatic in your zeal to force your beliefs down other people's throats
When you call a woman a Karen, that's you being sexist
When you oppose compulsory prayer in school, you're opposed to civil liberties.

And they don't see that same evil in themselves when they do the exact same. Quite the opposite, actually.

So when they wanted to cancel D&D etc, that's them being moral crusaders
When they promote QAnon, Pizzagate, et al, that's them fighting for all of our freedoms by speaking truth to power
When they support corporate welfare, that's them being capitalists
When they support bills like the aforementioned, that's them championing freedom of speech
When they deny the existence of white privilege, that's them being tolerant
When they support the Moses/Jesus things, that's them being scholars that are faithful to accurate history
When they oppose calling certain women Karens, that's them being feminists
When they support compulsory prayer in school, that's them supporting religious freedom

It's a shocking level of self-delusion that goes far beyond anything that I've seen in my lifetime.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

Literally the whole post. 

You are a fucking insane person who has lost all touch with reality. People were literally charged with insurrection and inciting insurrection. It's not fucking hyperbolic. 

Like seriously why the fuck should I even let you keep posting here? Apparently you fucking hate everyone anyway. Just do everyone a favor and fucking leave on your own.

on Schaffer, 53, a member of the Oath Keepers militia group, pleaded guilty to two charges - obstruction of an official proceeding and entering a restricted building with a dangerous weapon.

1st conviction. Will see if any of the insurrection charges actually stick 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Fuck You 2

52 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

What if you're rejecting them in favor of the Republican Party platform (sic) and policies?

29 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm about to ban your ass @ChickenSandwich there's a difference between believing in policy and straight up lying and presenting alternative "facts" to attack other posters. I don't care to have people like you on this site. 

Claiming 70 million Americans hate people of color because they didn’t vote for Biden seems like a lie used to attack, no?

• Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm about to ban your ass @ChickenSandwich there's a difference between believing in policy and straight up lying and presenting alternative "facts" to attack other posters. I don't care to have people like you on this site. 

This is chickenshit and the main reason this forum has been allowed to fester into the weeping ooze of infection that it is. 

"right winger" is apparently much more sinister than "left winger". No room for disagreement on issues that have tons of nuance. No healthy discussion. Toe the line in this forum or we neg you. Try to have civil political discussion in DT and we whine. Find a mirror you hypocritical fucks. 

Edited by Ridingtosunset
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

This is chickenshit and the main reason this forum has been allowed to fester into the weeping ooze of infection that it is. 
"right winger" is apparently much more sinister than "left winger". No room for disagreement on issues that have tons of nuance. No healthy discussion. Toe the line in this forum or we neg you. Try to have civil political discussion in DT and we whine. Find a mirror you hypocritical fucks. 
Who were you before you were banned?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2