Indonesian Navy has "lost" a submarine

Gil Bang

Reuters: Search for missing Indonesian submarine reveals oil spill

Indonesian rescuers searching for a submarine that went missing with 53 people on board found an oil spill on Wednesday near where the vessel dived, authorities said.

The 44-year-old submarine, KRI Nanggala-402, was conducting a torpedo drill in waters north of the island of Bali but failed to relay the results as expected, a navy spokesman said.

An aerial search found an oil spill near the submarine's dive location and two navy vessels with sonar capability have been deployed to assist in the search, the Defense Ministry said.

"It is possible that during static diving, a blackout occurred so control was lost and emergency procedures cannot be carried out and the ship falls to a depth of 600-700 metres," the Indonesian Navy said in a statement.

The submarine was built to sustain pressure at a maximum depth of around 250 metres, an official said.

She gone

"It is possible that during static diving, a blackout occurred so control was lost and emergency procedures cannot be carried out and the ship falls to a depth of 600-700 metres," the Indonesian Navy said in a statement.

The submarine was built to sustain pressure at a maximum depth of around 250 metres, an official said.

fuck, imagine the thing is going deeper and deeper, you start to hear the creaking of the hull, and then it caves in.  Ugh.

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I was in San Diego recently and they were offering tours of a sub.  Fuck that- my claustrophobic ass would last 15 seconds on that tour.  

Imagine being assigned to a sub.  60-90 days without surfacing.  I'd go insane.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

I was in San Diego recently and they were offering tours of a sub.  Fuck that- my claustrophobic ass would last 15 seconds on that tour.  

The one about 100 yards up from the Midway?

I once read a novel written by the XO of a World War II sub. I don’t remember the particulars, which stuck with me is the boat was infested with cockroaches. They literally had a net hanging over their mess tables so the cockroaches from the ceiling wouldn’t fall into your food

Just now, Gil Bang said:

The one about 100 yards up from the Midway?

I once read a novel written by the XO of a World War II sub. I don’t remember the particulars, which stuck with me is the boat was infested with cockroaches. They literally had a net hanging over their mess tables so the cockroaches from the ceiling wouldn’t fall into your food

Yeah that's it.  They had a Russian one and a US one.  Plus some old ironside ship.  Looks interesting historically but that ain't my bag.

40 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

fuck, imagine the thing is going deeper and deeper, you start to hear the creaking of the hull, and then it caves in.  Ugh.

It’s over quickly.  Below 250m, the pressure is high enough that you’d go diesel before you drown.  So you’ve got that going for you.   

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Parliament said:
5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
I thought being hard to find was the main point of a submarine. I say good job, captain. 

Dude wtf. Why wasn't the 1st reply to the OP that meme from Red October?

Because there were 5 of us all trying to do it at the same time and it borked the system. 

50 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I dunno, at least when it does happen it's quick.  Crunch, the end.  Probably better than being trapped in a dead submarine laying on the bottom with no real possibility of escape.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

I took that ride at Disney World before they shut it down-terrifying. 

I did a summer training cruise on an LA class before my senior year at Texas.  Spent 19 days submerged and promptly changed my service preference to surface ships upon return.  My god, the smell.  You don’t notice it while on board.  But it lingers.  And lingers.  I give a hearty salute to those who can handle it while also questioning their sanity.  

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I did a summer training cruise on an LA class before my senior year at Texas.  Spent 19 days submerged and promptly changed my service preference to surface ships upon return.  My god, the smell.  You don’t notice it while on board.  But it lingers.  And lingers.  I give a hearty salute to those who can handle it while also questioning their sanity.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2021 at 1:05 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

what's missing ? !

Unknown-1.jpeg

Great song, that whole album was great and overshadowed by the MTV hit.

Did you know he was the music director for TED talks for a decade and recently is/was a professor of the arts at John Hopkins?

He is also widely considered the father of steam punk. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

5 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Did you know he was the music director for TED talks for a decade and recently is/was a professor of the arts at John Hopkins?

I did not know that, but dug his music, and miss Sakamoto

14 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

18vt7z.jpg

• Like 1