Indonesian Navy has "lost" a submarine

Gil Bang

21 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Wasn’t our Surly fearless leader a sub guy? Or am I thinking of some other badass mofo?

Yep, did 6 years in the Navy and served aboard the USS Montpiliar (SSN-765) and USS Baton Rouge (SSN-689), both Los Angeles Class fast attack subs.

20 hours ago, Captainant said:

Blacklab served on a nuke iirc

yes

16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

th?id=OIP.cBaEswNdBnm88-5cYU6nWwHaEK&pid

I was on the decommissioning crew of the Baton Rouge, the first LA class to get retired. It kinda looked like this when we were done.

4 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

BL didn’t...I think.

Also when you think about it, not losing a submarine would be damned hard.

I was

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

I did a summer training cruise on an LA class before my senior year at Texas.  Spent 19 days submerged and promptly changed my service preference to surface ships upon return.  My god, the smell.  You don’t notice it while on board.  But it lingers.  And lingers.  I give a hearty salute to those who can handle it while also questioning their sanity.  

shit floats

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

spacer.png

Yeah, it was a combo of BO, diesel, paint fumes, cigarette smoke. Very distinctive smell. You could smell it once you started walking down the pier. I was cleaning out a closet a few years ago and found some jump suits that I wore on the sub. They had sub smell. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yep, did 6 years in the Navy and served aboard the USS Montpiliar (SSN-765) and USS Baton Rouge (SSN-689), both Los Angeles Class fast attack subs.

yes

I was on the decommissioning crew of the Baton Rouge, the first LA class to get retired. It kinda looked like this when we were done.

I was

shit floats

Yeah, it was a combo of BO, diesel, paint fumes, cigarette smoke. Very distinctive smell. You could smell it once you started walking down the pier. I was cleaning out a closet a few years ago and found some jump suits that I wore on the sub. They had sub smell. 

Really cool and thank you for your service!!!! 

Any chance you could share what it was like to serve on a submarine?  Highs/lows?  I would love to hear some of your stories!

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

yes

I was

shit floats

That's fine and dandy, but what about that ten bucks you owe me, underwater boy?

Seems like they really have little idea what happened. So did it go too deep? Or did it implode? Either way hope they can do something in the next 24 hours, but does not look like they can. 

The area of interest is about 40 kilometers (approximately 25 miles) north of Bali, where oil had been spotted on the surface of the water near the dive point, and where an object likely to have come from the submarine was detected, according to Maj. Gen. Achmad Riad, the head of the military's central information unit.
A naval vessel detected an object with "strong magnetic resonance" at a depth of 50 to 100 meters (164 to 328 feet), Riad told a news conference Friday, and the navy expects its warship, the Riguel, to reach the search area Friday.

And then this.

Margono said there are two possibilities to explain the oil spill spotted on the surface: the submarine tank could be leaking because it dove too deep, or the submarine released fluid on board in an attempt to rise to the surface.
Indonesian Navy spokesman First Adm. Julius Widjojono said the submarine has the capability to dive up to 500 meters (approximately 1,640 feet) below sea level, but authorities estimate it went 100 meters to 200 meters deeper than that.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/23/asia/indonesia-submarine-australia-us-intl-hnk/index.html

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Man I don't feel like thinking right now, so someone explain to me why they would intentionally release fluids that are less dense than water in an effort to rise to the surface.

They wouldn't. Oil would leak to bilges and get pumped to tanks that were eventually blown out but usually on/near the surface, I don't think we had the capability of pumping them out at depth.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Man I don't feel like thinking right now, so someone explain to me why they would intentionally release fluids that are less dense than water in an effort to rise to the surface.

Unless they are exchanging it for water, releasing any mass would make the sub less dense.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2021 at 12:26 PM, blacklab said:

Never crossed the equator or artic circle. Did go through the panama canal and got one of these

lg_Ditch_trad.jpg

My dad didn't keep his certs but then its the 50's. He did the Equator, Arctic Circle on the sub and later in life on a business trip and both Tropics. listening to Sonar the whole time. 

On 4/22/2021 at 8:26 PM, blacklab said:

I could write a book about all the shit that I went through but it would be boring as hell. They treated us like complete shit. We worked ungodly hours and would go days with minimal sleep. My boss made a comment a few weeks ago about how I never complain about anything job related and I said yeah, I spent 6 years of my life being treated like absolute shit, so this is a breeze.

I'm sure most of you will find this hard to believe, but I got in trouble a lot for being a smart ass. There were two groups of people on the sub. "Nukes" who ran the power plant and engine room, and "coners" (pronounced like ice cream cone) who did everything at the front of the boat (the cone). Nukes got an extra $100 a month. When we were in the shipyard and doing nuke plant testing the nukes worked 7 days a week, 13-16 hours a day for 8 weeks strait. We did 5 rounds of this. Coners were working about 20 hours a week, coming in at 8am and leaving by noon most days. I made around $1000 a month, and averaged below $2/hour many months.

We were sitting around bitching about it in the electrician shop one day and the XO walks by and interjects "But you are paid extra for that". I let out a big exagerated "pssssssshhhhhhhhh" and he goes balistic and starts yelling at me. I tell him I'm making about $2/hour and working around 400 hours a month compared to the coners 80 hours and the $100 is not worth the 300 hours. I tell him he can shove the $100 up his ass and send me to a surface ship to be a regular electrician. He finally realizes I'm not going to take any shit from him and he scurries off. He wants to send me to captains mast for insubordination and the CO tells him to fuck off.

A few weeks later the boats pick up truck goes missing. It was about 10am and we had just come off a 6pm-6am shift and were about to leave when he declares no one can leave till we find the pickup. There is no way in fuck I'm going to walk around the shipyard looking for a pickup when I can barely stay awake so we just sit in our office and dick off. I tell one of the guys to get a small carton of milk from the vending machine, and we cut a picture of a very similar truck from an auto trader we had laying around and taped the picture of the truck on top of the "Have you seen me" kid on the side of the milk carton and put it in his inbox outside his office. He came out and saw it and went crazy, yelling at everyone to find out who did it. Finally a wise old senior chief tells him it was obviously the nukes because it was smart and funny, and he should learn to laugh about shit like that instead of being a real life Frank Burns.

Other than the day I got out the day that cock munch left our boat was my favorite day in the navy

I was the top ranked E5 on our boat, but also the only E5 who hadn't reenlisted.  They constantly begged for me to reenlist but I kept telling them to fuck off. At that time the guys who ran the diesel generators at the white house were navy nuke electricians. It was a very hard job to get as they only took the best, but it was a cushy gig with a lot of extra pay. So I told them I'd reenlist if I got to go there for my shore duty. So the Chief of the boat and the CO make all kinds of phone calls and pull in all kinds of favors and get me the billet. They present me with the paperwork and I tell my chief nah, I'm getting out. He laughed about it and then went and told the CO. We were in the shipyard on a barge at the time and we were on the bottom deck and the CO was on the 3rd deck. You could hear him yelling at my chief from our office 3 decks away. I was not very popular on the boat after that but was getting out in a month so I didn't give a fuck.

That's a great (and funny) story Bob. Nothing better than fucking with, or pissing off those above you.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:26 AM, blacklab said:

Never crossed the equator or artic circle. Did go through the panama canal and got one of these

lg_Ditch_trad.jpg

Didn't know the Navy did this for the Panama Canal. That's cool.

My Dad is a Shellback from doing two WestPac tours on a tin can in the late 50's. According to him, crossing the line was not fun for a new Lieutenant during the ceremony from pollywog to Shellback. But upon arriving in Australia, it made up for it as Dad said that the Aussies wouldn't let them buy anything as they were then still greatful to the US for stopping the Japanese from invading the country and continent.

When I served in the Air Force in the early 80s, I twice went to Greenland, crossing the Artic Circle and doing some airdrops up on the ice cap. The second year, this combined Civilian/Navy "research" team we were supporting, had a much larger footprint of Navy personnel. Specifically, ALL sub guys (and this has all been declassified so no one needs get their panties in a bunch). The commander, Captain Carl A. "Josey" Wales made sure myself and my teammate both got Bluenose certificates.

Being that it is from Boreas Rex, Ruler of the North Wind, it is one of the few items that I have on display from my time in the military.

IMG_0596.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

I believe it was "refitted" by S. Korea in 2012.

Sub

Refitted

Well to be fair they did build these at one time. 

Turtle ships participated in the war against Japanese naval forces supporting Toyotomi Hideyoshi's attempts to conquer Korea from 1592 to 1598.[4] Korean Admiral Yi Sun-sin, who won all battles against the Japanese Navy, is credited with designing the improved turtle ship. From their first appearance in the Battle of Sacheon, his turtle ships, equipped with at least five different types of cannon, greatly contributed to winning 16 times in 16 battles against the Japanese Navy until they were destroyed, under the commmand of Won Gyun, in the Battle of Chilcheollyang. Their most distinguishable feature was a dragon-shaped head at the bow (front) that could launch cannon fire or flames from the mouth. Each was also equipped with a fully covered deck to protect against arrow fire, musket-shots, and incendiary weapons.[5] The deck was covered with iron spikes to discourage the enemy from attempting to board the ship.[5]

image.thumb.png.3729c1bd9a1ab308d06c9782ce992c94.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1