Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

their fans are gonna be so confused with his results for the first year or two, before they figure out who Shaka is. outside of being someone who really really very strongly believes in spouting meaningless platitudes, shaka smart has no identity. and as such, neither do his teams. he's probably employed a different base offense for five of his last six or seven teams. one year he plays slowly, the next year he's running; one year he's playing inside-out, the next thing you know it's all spacing and iso; a year later and he's playing 5-out with Will Baker just chucking up threes like he's Larry Bird or something. there are no steadfast tenets of shaka smart basketball, be they basketball related or personality related. that's how you field a team that beats Kansas 84-59 at Allen Fieldhouse, only to later get dominated on the glass and knocked out of the ncaa tournament by Abilene Christian. 

• Haha 1

lol or how about 2020:

lose to a 12-20 (5-13) Iowa State team 81-52, your fourth straight loss, bringing your record to 14-11.

proceed to win five in a row, including three conference road wins, and two wins vs ranked teams. 

follow that up with a season ending loss to an 18-14 (7-11) OSU team by a score of 81-59, in a game with your tourney hopes on the line.

Shakablah!

Edited by shadow_operative

2019:

beat North Carolina on a neutral court 92-89

one week later lose at home to Radford 62-59

next game: lose at home to VCU

next game: beat Carsen Edwards' Elite 8 Purdue team 

January 26th: lose 98-88 to an 11-21 (2-16) Goergia team 

Jamuary 29th: turn around and beat Kansas by 10

Shakablah! 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2018: 

take both Duke and Gonzaga to OT on back to back nights 

three weeks later: come-from-behind home win vs Tennessee State (15-15, #228 in kenpom) by a score of 47-46

january 17th: beat TTU's elite 8 team 67-58

january 20th: lose to WVU 86-51

this was the same year we played in EIGHT overtime games, including two double OT games. we were 3-5 in those games.

Shakablah!

On 11/16/2021 at 3:27 PM, shadow_operative said:

another 17 boards for Royce Hamm in 27 minutes played in UNLV's two point win last night. seems like a good time for this reminder:

2DF6689C-F7AA-4644-958D-B6AD078BEE56.thumb.jpeg.e394b2c8f33b0e1b5a57f3ab9fb5c36e.jpeg

Royce Hamm was listed as "TBD" on this post, along with Gerald Liddell and Will Baker. 

Donovan Williams is also at UNLV this year, and he's getting 22 mpg, averaging 12.8 pts, 4.2 reb (1.1 oreb), and 1.3 stocks. he's shooting 42% from deep. 

Shaka’s teams were notoriously soft skinned (with a couple players here and there that showed some toughness)… they too oft tended to fold on the road when things started to go south…

he also had an ironic, crazy tendency to allow so-so players (who were on his good side) to hoist up way too many bad 3 point shots coupled with an odd passive aggression about his rotations and teaching.

I think his teams’ defensive showings were generally good to very good… but he tolerated a lot of standing around and empty paint 3 point heavy chunkfests

Rebounding, movement off the ball, ball security, and spacing fundamentals were noticeably lacking in his teams at UT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, shadow_operative said:

i never disliked him as a person until i found out him treating some of his players in what is an objectively fucked up manner. . . just pissed off feelings about him doing his players wrong, manipulating people to make himself look better. . . i just knew that he's a shady guy character wise, a guy who meticulously crafts his public image. . . he's manipulative.

You know, this is also a fairly spot on description of the new coach.  Here's hoping he turns out to at least be a better coach than Shaka.  

EDITED to remove language about sucking as a head coach from the quote.  Jury is still out on that one.

Edited by Samson's Wig

20 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

You know, this is also a fairly spot on description of the new coach.  Here's hoping he turns out to at least be a better coach than Shaka.  

EDITED to remove language about sucking as a head coach from the quote.  Jury is still out on that one.

huge difference here is Beard's straightforwardness. watching his presser after the OSU loss was a revelation after watching Shaka say nothing of substance or import for six straight years. Beard speaks openly and honestly about expectations, player performance, that game we just lost, that game we just won, etc. i have a lot more respect for him in this regard.

• Hook 'Em 4

i'm going to do something here that i probably shouldn't do, so i'm asking all of you to help me not regret doing this. i'm going to tell you one of the worst things that Shaka did to one of his players, and it won't be too hard for you to connect the dots and figure out who i'm talking about. all i ask is that we keep this buried here in this thread, and not spread this anywhere else online, please and thank you. ok, here we go.

Shaka did not like two of his leftover guards from the Barnes era, and he let them know it by constantly playing mind games with them/leaving them out of his plans. but one of the worst things he did (that i know of) totally crossed the line from "asshole coach" to "terrible person". 

we had a guard who Shaka inherited who had been voted team captain by his teammates. even after shaka got here this guy was the first one in the building, the last one out, the guy who broke the huddles, and the guy whom his teammates looked to for leadership. still, Shaka did not want to involve him regularly. fine, that's his choice. you don't have to play him if you don't want to. you also, however, do not have to do this:

the aforementioned team captain had some serious family issues going on back home, and the player was having a rough time. his family needed financial help, and the player was sending so much of his own money back home that he was going nights without eating dinner. then the player's grandmother, the woman who'd raised him, got very sick, and Shaka used all of this as an excuse to completely freeze out this player. 

Shaka would approach the player every single day and say, "are you ready to play?" to which the player would incredulously/frustratedly reply, "yes coach, i'm always ready", to which Shaka would respond, "nah, you're not ready. your head isn't in this." every. single. day. keep in mind, this guy is still the team captain, he's still the first one in and out, he's still the leader, he's still doing everything he should be doing to earn the respect of his new coach. didn't matter. Shaka just kept fucking with him. 

well, eventually grandma got very sick, and sadly she died. this player, who at this point was already being kept completely out of games/away from the team by Shaka simply because Shaka is an asshole, left the team for a couple of days to go home and attend the funeral. the player asked Shaka to keep all of this private. this was his own personal family issue, and he did not want it publicized. guess what Shaka did?

that's right- after the player returned to Austin, Shaka spoke publicly, on television and to reporters, and said, "Player A hasn't been playing lately because of his family issues and his sick (now deceased) grandmother." yeah. take a second to soak that in. Shaka is over here fucking with this kid every single day, playing mind games and freezing him out, and all the kid asked of Shaka was to not share his own personal family stuff with the public. not only did Dhaka share this info with the public, he used it as an excuse for freezing this player out, when in reality all the kid wanted to do was play. just a fucking scumbag move by Shaka Smart.

this player had done *everything* right, and despite the mental abuse he was receiving on a daily basis, he kept his head down, kept working hard, and simply asked Shaka to make sure that his private business remained his own private business. what did Shaka do? he went straight to the Jeff Fisher playbook, and used this player's personal struggles and tragedies against him, manipulating the story through the media to be whatever Shaka wanted it to be. 

that's a sociopath move right there. that goes so far beyond the scope of what is acceptable that you're goddamn right i'm rooting for Shaka to fail in spectacular fashion. what kind of total piece of shit person goes out of his way to mentally fuck with a kid like that? and for zero discernible reason?!?! what kind of asshole then decides to take it even further, and to use a kid's personal struggles to further his own fucked up agenda? only a fucking sociopath like Jeff Fisher or Shaka Smart. fuck Shaka Smart and everything he stands for. i'll never ever root for him or wish him well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 4

25 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

huge difference here is Beard's straightforwardness. watching his presser after the OSU loss was a revelation after watching Shaka say nothing of substance or import for six straight years. Beard speaks openly and honestly about expectations, player performance, that game we just lost, that game we just won, etc. i have a lot more respect for him in this regard.

He also doesn't take shit from Brian Davis, which is another win for Beard over Shaka. 

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2022 at 2:44 PM, shadow_operative said:

i'm going to do something here that i probably shouldn't do, so i'm asking all of you to help me not regret doing this. i'm going to tell you one of the worst things that Shaka did to one of his players, and it won't be too hard for you to connect the dots and figure out who i'm talking about. all i ask is that we keep this buried here in this thread, and not spread this anywhere else online, please and thank you. ok, here we go.

Shaka did not like two of his leftover guards from the Barnes era, and he let them know it by constantly playing mind games with them/leaving them out of his plans. but one of the worst things he did (that i know of) totally crossed the line from "asshole coach" to "terrible person". 

we had a guard who Shaka inherited who had been voted team captain by his teammates. even after shaka got here this guy was the first one in the building, the last one out, the guy who broke the huddles, and the guy whom his teammates looked to for leadership. still, Shaka did not want to involve him regularly. fine, that's his choice. you don't have to play him if you don't want to. you also, however, do not have to do this:

the aforementioned team captain had some serious family issues going on back home, and the player was having a rough time. his family needed financial help, and the player was sending so much of his own money back home that he was going nights without eating dinner. then the player's grandmother, the woman who'd raised him, got very sick, and Shaka used all of this as an excuse to completely freeze out this player. 

Shaka would approach the player every single day and say, "are you ready to play?" to which the player would incredulously/frustratedly reply, "yes coach, i'm always ready", to which Shaka would respond, "nah, you're not ready. your head isn't in this." every. single. day. keep in mind, this guy is still the team captain, he's still the first one in and out, he's still the leader, he's still doing everything he should be doing to earn the respect of his new coach. didn't matter. Shaka just kept fucking with him. 

well, eventually grandma got very sick, and sadly she died. this player, who at this point was already being kept completely out of games/away from the team by Shaka simply because Shaka is an asshole, left the team for a couple of days to go home and attend the funeral. the player asked Shaka to keep all of this private. this was his own personal family issue, and he did not want it publicized. guess what Shaka did?

that's right- after the player returned to Austin, Shaka spoke publicly, on television and to reporters, and said, "Player A hasn't been playing lately because of his family issues and his sick (now deceased) grandmother." yeah. take a second to soak that in. Shaka is over here fucking with this kid every single day, playing mind games and freezing him out, and all the kid asked of Shaka was to not share his own personal family stuff with the public. not only did Dhaka share this info with the public, he used it as an excuse for freezing this player out, when in reality all the kid wanted to do was play. just a fucking scumbag move by Shaka Smart.

this player had done *everything* right, and despite the mental abuse he was receiving on a daily basis, he kept his head down, kept working hard, and simply asked Shaka to make sure that his private business remained his own private business. what did Shaka do? he went straight to the Jeff Fisher playbook, and used this player's personal struggles and tragedies against him, manipulating the story through the media to be whatever Shaka wanted it to be. 

that's a sociopath move right there. that goes so far beyond the scope of what is acceptable that you're goddamn right i'm rooting for Shaka to fail in spectacular fashion. what kind of total piece of shit person goes out of his way to mentally fuck with a kid like that? and for zero discernible reason?!?! what kind of asshole then decides to take it even further, and to use a kid's personal struggles to further his own fucked up agenda? only a fucking sociopath like Jeff Fisher or Shaka Smart. fuck Shaka Smart and everything he stands for. i'll never ever root for him or wish him well. 

A 12 year career as a Head Coach that includes a FF and a CBI and NIT Championship. And I couldn't name one single player that would sing his praises. His complete lack of loyalty and respect appears to be reciprocated by all of those who have to deal with him. There's a couple of talking heads still stuck on 2011 that haven't gotten the memo. And of course there is BWG. That's what Shaka has garnered over his career. The praises of a pathetic loser on the internet and over-the-hill TV blowhards. The obvious speaks volumes without even having to delve further into shitty things like the above.

I see Shaka is playing the "need to be more violent" card.  His team were and are as soft as charmin.  lob dunks every once in while to 6'10" guys who can jump out of the gym doesn't equate to nastiness.  I've seen more nastiness in the last 16 games than in 6 years of Shakablah.  nasty teams don't get run by Abilene Christian.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2022/01/11/marquette-golden-eagles-vs-depaul-blue-demons-fiserv-forum-game-score-updates/9168760002/

On 1/12/2022 at 3:52 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

A 12 year career as a Head Coach that includes a FF and a CBI and NIT Championship. And I couldn't name one single player that would sing his praises. His complete lack of loyalty and respect appears to be reciprocated by all of those who have to deal with him. There's a couple of talking heads still stuck on 2011 that haven't gotten the memo. And of course there is BWG. That's what Shaka has garnered over his career. The praises of a pathetic loser on the internet and over-the-hill TV blowhards. The obvious speaks volumes without even having to delve further into shitty things like the above.

Yeah but he’s always dressed really sharp on and off the court.

In all seriousness, it’s been my experience that guys who always constantly dress that well means they have something to hide.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red Five said:

Hey no I don't. Fuck you. 

Chill it was a joke. Not a very good one I admit. 

I really don’t even remember how that guy dressed because not only have I blocked his era from my mind, I wasn’t really playing all that close attention to it anyway in the first place. He could have been wearing a clown suit with a big red nose and rainbow wig and I doubt it would have registered much to me.  Just been like, I guess that figures. 

Edited by JimmyJames

I hate to say it but I think what Troy Aikman said about the Cowboys is true about our major sports across the board.  We recruit guys that come in, see all the amenities and think they have made it.  They either lack the edge or lose it once they get here.  You can see it in both Basketball and Football, where we don't really have any player lead teams, and no real accountability.  It takes the right coach to come in and instill that culture and make sure that despite all the amenities, and quality of the college experience you get here, you still play with an edge.  Shaka may not have been that coach, but when he recruits players that already have that chip on their shoulder then he can get the most out of them.  Having to put that chip on their shoulder may not be his strength.  Seems like with all the new coaching, we keep seeing the same results here, that culture is really the big problem.  Maybe Beard and Sark are the guys that can instill that edge into guys that are living the good life on campus here, but one thing is for sure, until we find those coaches, we are doomed to swim around in mediocrity.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chemHORN said:

I hate to say it but I think what Troy Aikman said about the Cowboys is true about our major sports across the board.  We recruit guys that come in, see all the amenities and think they have made it.  They either lack the edge or lose it once they get here.  You can see it in both Basketball and Football, where we don't really have any player lead teams, and no real accountability.  It takes the right coach to come in and instill that culture and make sure that despite all the amenities, and quality of the college experience you get here, you still play with an edge.  Shaka may not have been that coach, but when he recruits players that already have that chip on their shoulder then he can get the most out of them.  Having to put that chip on their shoulder may not be his strength.  Seems like with all the new coaching, we keep seeing the same results here, that culture is really the big problem.  Maybe Beard and Sark are the guys that can instill that edge into guys that are living the good life on campus here, but one thing is for sure, until we find those coaches, we are doomed to swim around in mediocrity.  

Let’s face it. There are any number of schools that have amenities equal to or better than those at Texas. The difference seems to be a sense of better thanness that is rooted in the big fish in a little pond ethos Texas people have embraced since the dissolution of the SWC.

4 hours ago, chemHORN said:

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Let’s face it. There are any number of schools that have amenities equal to or better than those at Texas. The difference seems to be a sense of better thanness that is rooted in the big fish in a little pond ethos Texas people have embraced since the dissolution of the SWC.

lol jesus christ. gotta love sports fans. Beard has been here for all of two seconds (same with 85% of our roster) and people are out here going, "let's just face the facts people, our culture is toxic and our players think they're better than everyone else and we're never going to win at anything." 

shuuuuuuuuuut up with that nonsense. we don't know shit about shit yet. can you even back up your claim that the "facts" show that our players think that they're better than everyone else, and that they don't work hard or have any fight in them because of our amenities? of course not. and yet somehow those are "the facts". 

people spend their entire lives watching sports and never seem to learn a damn thing about what they're watching. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol jesus christ. gotta love sports fans. Beard has been here for all of two seconds (same with 85% of our roster) and people are out here going, "let's just face the facts people, our culture is toxic and our players think they're better than everyone else and we're never going to win at anything." 

shuuuuuuuuuut up with that nonsense. we don't know shit about shit yet. can you even back up your claim that the "facts" show that our players think that they're better than everyone else, and that they don't work hard or have any fight in them because of our amenities? of course not. and yet somehow those are "the facts". 

people spend their entire lives watching sports and never seem to learn a damn thing about what they're watching. 

You don’t think players get a sense that they’re better than most in the conference by virtue of being at Texas? If not, how have they managed not to be influenced by that kind of thinking when it’s part and parcel of the Texas brand?