Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

5 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Are you using the new Apple Sports app?

This happened to me yesterday and I thought tech nc state was scoreless at the 16 minute timeout.

No, I just have CBS "live" stats on at work.  Windows 10.  Probably not the best choice.

Marquette has the easiest road to the Elite 8. If Shaka can't even reach the Sweet 16 he should go ahead and resign because he's committing robbery with what Marquette is paying him. All he has to do is beat a 10 seed to reach the Sweet 16 and an 11 or 14 seed to reach the Elite 8. I'll laugh hysterically if he loses to Colorado.

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Dating back to the '11-12 season, Shaka has 4 tournament wins and all are against double digit seeds. 

He's just a bad tournament coach. 

And has made over $24 million just through 2021. Add his (undisclosed) Marquette salary and now probably over $30 million (or $7.5 million per tournament win!).

Year Base Salary SigningBonus Cap Hit Dead Cap Yearly Cash
2011 $418,000 - $424,000 - $424,000
2012 $1,190,000 - $1,210,000 - $1,210,000
2013 $1,370,000 - $1,380,000 - $1,380,000
2014 $1,520,000 - $1,530,000 - $1,530,000
2015 $1,570,000 - $1,578,500 - $1,578,500
2016 $2,800,000 - $2,805,000 - $2,805,000
2017 $2,900,000 - $2,900,000 - $2,900,000
2018 $3,100,000 - $3,100,000 - $3,100,000
2019 $3,200,000 - $3,200,000 - $3,200,000
2020 $3,300,000 - $3,300,989 - $3,300,989
2021 $3,400,000 - $3,400,000 - $3,400,000

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

marquette’s players didn’t have enough better tomorrows coming into this game, and their SEAL training clearly didn’t kick in. no amount of breathing exercises was going to overcome all that. 

Damn you. I was going to ask about Marquette's breathing exercises against N.C. State. If only they had breathed through their eyelids like the lava lizards of the Galapagos!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

The Shaka formula:

1. Play in a so so conference. 

2. Recruit a few top quality recruits and a few other athletes.

3. Let them run up and down the floor jacking up 3’s.

4. Win a few games against high seeds by getting lucky with 3 point shooting and leveraging the athletic ability of  the team.

5. Beat up on lesser programs in a so so conference  

6. Gain a decent tournament seed as a result of 4 and 5  

7. Beat the really low seeds. Lose as soon as you run into good coaching, or your 3 pt luck runs out  

8. Rinse repeat  

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The Shaka formula:

1. Play in a so so conference. 

2. Recruit a few top quality recruits and a few other athletes.

3. Let them run up and down the floor jacking up 3’s.

4. Win a few games against high seeds by getting lucky with 3 point shooting and leveraging the athletic ability of  the team.

5. Beat up on lesser programs in a so so conference  

6. Gain a decent tournament seed as a result of 4 and 5  

7. Beat the really low seeds. Lose as soon as you run into good coaching, or your 3 pt luck runs out  

8. Rinse repeat  

the funny thing is you can even lose a game where your shooting is fine and the other team completely sucks ass shooting.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401310917

• Rage+1 1

Marquette is the #39 program per KenPom going back to 1997.  They have finished 56, 10 and 14 under Shaka, which puts them ~top-20.  If I'm honest, Shaka is better than a top-40 coach, and is just on the fringe of the top-25.  So, for Marquette he is a great fit.

At Texas, he had us with the #23 best average KenPom ranking over his tenure.  He had VCU as the #31 ranked team over his tenure there.  

I wish he would have worked out at Texas. I was really excited when we hired him... almost as excited as when we hired Beard.  And he was just about as hot as Beard as a coach when we hired him. But he was such a moron here, that I will root for him to fail wherever he goes.  Does that make me petty? Yes. Next question.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

reading a little MUscoop.com most are saying coaching is fine and they just had a bad shooting game.  It's like they completely ignore that he loses to double digit seeds regularly...

for a school that’s all about basketball their fans are pretty stupid. 90% of them are adamant that there’s absolutely nothing that shaka could do last night, and that the loss was 100% on the players. here’s a wild idea- and mind you i’m not someone who gets paid obscene amounts of money to coach basketball- but how about a plan b?!?!? his teams have lost big games in this manner countless times throughout the years, and every single time, instead of making any adjustments, he just sits back and watches his team brick 100 threes and then run back on defense the moment the shot hits the rim.

he’s a totally inept game day coach who cannot adjust when faced with adversity. shaka smart has never won a game because of his in-game coaching/adjustments. he rolls out his game plan, crosses his fingers, hops onto the court to defend the opposing PG for a play or two, and lets the chips fall where they may. thank god that loser is never coming near this program again.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My favorite part of him sucking and losing to double digit seeds every year is that the Marquette fans refuse to assign any blame to him. The guy may be there 20 years just doing the same shit. 

Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My favorite part of him sucking and losing to double digit seeds every year is that the Marquette fans refuse to assign any blame to him. The guy may be there 20 years just doing the same shit. 

I know a ton of Marquette alums. They think Shaka is a savior. 

Lets see how they feel if they have few more tourney brickfests. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he’s a totally inept game day coach who cannot adjust when faced with adversity. shaka smart has never won a game because of his in-game coaching/adjustments. he rolls out his game plan, crosses his fingers, hops onto the court to defend the opposing PG for a play or two, and lets the chips fall where they may. thank god that loser is never coming near this program again.

preach GIF by Shalita Grant