Gold Cup Coming to Q2 Stadium

TrashMaster G

Austin FC's Q2 Stadium selected as one of 11 host venues for 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Q2 Stadium, home of Austin FC, was selected to be one of 11 venues to host 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup matches when the tournament takes place in July and August. The Gold Cup features 16 teams, including six-time champion U.S. men’s national team and eight-time champion Mexican men’s national team. Twelve of the 16 teams qualified via the CONCACAF Nations League.  

“It is an honor for Q2 Stadium, in its first year of operations, to be designated as one of the 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup venues,” Austin FC President Andy Loughnane said via press release. “Austin FC and the greater Austin region look forward welcoming CONCACAF and qualifying national teams to the world-class Q2 Stadium.” 

The 2021 Gold Cup kicks off with a new preliminary round format at DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Twelve nations that qualified for spots through their performances in CONCACAF Nations League will compete for the final three spots in the 16-team Gold Cup group stage.  

The group stage, which features 16 national teams begins on July 10 in a hub-city format to reduce the travel required by each team. The USMNT is in Group B with Canada, Martinique and the winner of one of the three preliminary rounds. Mexico is in Group B with El Salvador Curacao and a preliminary round winner. Group C is Costa Rica, Jamaica and the third winner of the preliminary round. Group D consists of Honduras, Panama, Grenada and Qatar.  

The top two finishers from each group will advance to the knockout stage. CONCACAF plans to announce the schedule, including teams, exact times and locations for each match, and ticket information over the coming weeks. Capacity limits are not yet known and will be determined by local officials at each of the 11 venues. Q2 Stadium can sit 20,500 spectators.  
  • Hook 'Em 2

Any idea if Austin FC season ticket holders will get tickets?  This is what is listed under Season Ticket Memberships:

MATCH TICKETS

All Austin FC regular season home matches.
U.S. Open Cup and CONCACAF Champions League home matches through quarterfinals.
Up to one home friendly match.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:04 PM, conVINCEd said:

If this is a stupid question I apologize, but WTF is Qatar doing in this tournament?

And most likely they paid their way into the tournament to boot. 

The Copa America frequently has 2 invited teams to compete with the 10 CONMEBOL countries.

The Confederations Cup doesn't exist anymore, so there won't be a tournament in Qatar that the Brazilians & Africans* who make up the Qatari national team can play in to get to know each other, so they have bought their way into the lowly Gold Cup / Copa de Oro.

*NOTE: Just looked at the English version of the Qatar National Football Team and it does NOT list any people born in Brazil.
_1 from Portutal.
_2 from Sudan/ South Sudan
_2 from Iraq
_1 from Egypt (and another "of Egyptian descent" but officially from Qatar)
_1 from Algeria
_1 from France, I think.

How many of the people officially "born in Qatar" were ACTUALLYA "born in Qatar", I have no idea, but if they bought players (and I think that they did), they had them move to Qatar in their early teens or they have given them an Arabic name and then completely lied about their birthplace.

Edited by Napoleon

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lobo

Q2 stadium selected to host one of the semi finals matches.  I’m guessing based on the guy that landed all this for Austin to begin with, it’ll be Mexico versus Costa Rica on July 29th.  

And most likely they paid their way into the tournament to boot. 
The Copa America frequently has 2 invited teams to compete with the 10 CONMEBOL countries.
The Confederations Cup doesn't exist anymore, so there won't be a tournament in Qatar that the Brazilians & Africans* who make up the Qatari national team can play in to get to know each other, so they have bought their way into the lowly Gold Cup / Copa de Oro.

*NOTE: Just looked at the English version of the Qatar National Football Team and it does NOT list any people born in Brazil.
_1 from Portutal.
_2 from Sudan/ South Sudan
_2 from Iraq
_1 from Egypt (and another "of Egyptian descent" but officially from Qatar)
_1 from Algeria
_1 from France, I think.
How many of the people officially "born in Qatar" were ACTUALLYA "born in Qatar", I have no idea, but if they bought players (and I think that they did), they had them move to Qatar in their early teens or they have given them an Arabic name and then completely lied about their birthplace.

Qatar recruits a lot of athletes from African countries in various Olympic sports. Usually, they’re world class but buried a bit in the depth chart without a chance at the Olympic team for their home country...ie the 5th best Kenyan 5K runner. They get a passport and a salary and a legitimate shot at a medal. Usually it takes 2-3 years to switch allegiance under IOC rules. FIFA is probably easier.

Guest Lobo
On 5/14/2021 at 7:45 PM, Bottlecap said:

they'd probably make WAY more money with mexico in Houston, so if the US is on the other side, i bet they give it to austin as a "reward". Getting into that match will be next to impossible.

Probably, but Eddie wants the Mexico match in Austin.  He usually gets what he wants.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a couple for the semis . Would absolutely go if the US plays, otherwise may sell depending on teams. On a side note, I noticed that the "recommended" sell price in the seatgeek app for the home opener is damn near 50% of the entire season ticket prices. 

I read it as Austin and Houston will settle the two matches among themselves.  Obviously a Mexico v. Costa Rica match may be better suited for a larger stadium in Houston, but Eddie let it be known he'd throw some support behind the Q2/Gold Cup bid if he got Mexico here in Austin.  Obviously TV will be a factor but Eddie's "give-a-fuck" factor of what Houston wants is next to zero.  If he wants Mexico at his stadium, he's gonna have Mexico at his stadium.  

On Gold Cup site, those two are TBC.  Have not seen Concacaf, but if that's the case, that's the case.  Cool for Austin either way.  

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

I read it as Austin and Houston will settle the two matches among themselves.  Obviously a Mexico v. Costa Rica match may be better suited for a larger stadium in Houston, but Eddie let it be known he'd throw some support behind the Q2/Gold Cup bid if he got Mexico here in Austin.  Obviously TV will be a factor but Eddie's "give-a-fuck" factor of what Houston wants is next to zero.  If he wants Mexico at his stadium, he's gonna have Mexico at his stadium.  

El Tri playing in a 20K stadium.....

tenor.gif?itemid=12389241

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Who is Eddie and why do you think he has the pull to make this decision?

26 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

They are not putting the usmnt C team in NRG for the semis, they wouldn’t sell out 22k bbva stadium.   El Tri will be in NRG

There is a reason there is such a huge difference in stadium sizes.   

Yep. It's not "official" but no way they put mexico in an MLS stadium

I'm convinced folks, was just posting something I heard from a well-connected football fan from Mexico who wanted to have them play here in Austin.  In the end, it's about eyeballs and TV, I get it.  I was transferring his adamant stance through me and I was wrong.  My deepest apologies and I look forward to many fun Gold Cup matches here in Texas.  My Costa Rican cousin is coming down from Chicago to see a couple matches, should be a blast.