Yoga

BTW

Any yogis on the Surl? After doing maybe 3-4 classes a year in the past, I decided in Jan of this year to commit to 100 classes in 6 months. As of today I'm at 60 classes and I can say that the transformation has been even better than I expected:

- I've lost 21 lbs (back to my pre COVID weight)

- I've added about 25 yards to my driver at the golf course

- I get to hang out in a 90 degree room with a bunch of (mostly) hot limber chicks in spandex

- My posture is better and I have less back pain

My preferred flavor are the heated vinyasa flow classes, but I'll admit that I haven't tried many of the other ones.

Anyway, maybe this thread is a place for discussion of thoughts and ideas surrounding all things yoga, or maybe (likely) it devolves into just a bunch of pics of chicks in yoga pants, either way I won't ragert starting it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I had some serious surgery in 2017 and spent the next couple of months flat on my back. It's scary how quickly the body atrophies. Stretching saved me from a dismal life. I wouldn't call it yoga but it was all yoga derived. I'm not able to go to classes and don't really know how to approach doing it solo but am definitely interested. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I had some serious surgery in 2017 and spent the next couple of months flat on my back. It's scary how quickly the body atrophies. Stretching saved me from a dismal life. I wouldn't call it yoga but it was all yoga derived. I'm not able to go to classes and don't really know how to approach doing it solo but am definitely interested. 

I use Yoga with Tim on Youtube.  There's a million channels like that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

How do you lose weight from doing yoga? Is it the sweat from doing hot yoga?

I've started a gravity Yoga program to improve my flexibility. Prior to starting I couldn't sit on the floor cross legged for longer than five seconds or so without my body protesting. Too many years of repetitively working out specific muscle groups without paying attention to maintaining flexibility in the other muscles.

21 hours ago, G650 said:

My wife is a yoga teacher. AMA.

It wasn’t the watches, or the boat or even the car but damn man, way to kick a guy when he’s down. 

Also, working out some tension while watching a Sara Jean Underwood yoga videos is about the closest I’ve came to yoga.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

I've started a gravity Yoga program to improve my flexibility. Prior to starting I couldn't sit on the floor cross legged for longer than five seconds or so without my body protesting. Too many years of repetitively working out specific muscle groups without paying attention to maintaining flexibility in the other muscles.

You can definitely lose weight from hot yoga, it gets your heart rate pretty elevated and your body burns quite a bit of energy trying to regulate your body temp.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 3:46 PM, BTW said:

Any yogis on the Surl? After doing maybe 3-4 classes a year in the past, I decided in Jan of this year to commit to 100 classes in 6 months. As of today I'm at 60 classes and I can say that the transformation has been even better than I expected:

- I get to hang out in a 90 degree room with a bunch of (mostly) hot limber chicks in spandex

My preferred flavor are the heated vinyasa flow classes, but I'll admit that I haven't tried many of the other ones.

Anyway, maybe this thread is a place for discussion of thoughts and ideas surrounding all things yoga, or maybe (likely) it devolves into just a bunch of pics of chicks in yoga pants, either way I won't ragert starting it. 

I’m intrigued but I’m wondering how much of those benefits could be gained at once or twice a week instead of 4 times a week. 

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
11 hours ago, G650 said:
You can definitely lose weight from hot yoga, it gets your heart rate pretty elevated and your body burns quite a bit of energy trying to regulate your body temp.

If you do normal temperature yoga will you lose weight from it?

I mean, it's probably better than sitting on the couch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:
On 4/23/2021 at 7:28 PM, G650 said:

I'll call BS on that. You'll lose water weight and that's it.

Thermoregulation requires a ton of energy. When riding a bike for example up to 80% of the energy is used for thermoregulation as opposed to the actual pedaling.

• Like 1

I think it’s temperature regulation, also, if you’re doing it right, it’s hard as shit and your heart rate is elevated for an hour.

I’ve also had a similar experience. I used to be unable to sit on the floor at all. Now I can sit on the floor with my kids for an hour and barely notice. I can also sit down and stand up from the floor without using my hands ... which is new.
  • Like 1

I’m intrigued but I’m wondering how much of those benefits could be gained at once or twice a week instead of 4 times a week. 

I definitely think you’d see serious benefit from 2x per week ... especially if you weren’t doing much at all before. I just have a bit of an extreme mentality and wanted to dive all the way in.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'll call BS on that. You'll lose water weight and that's it.

I drop a lot of water weight, usually about 2lbs from a 1 hour class. But I’ve lost a pound a week on average since I started and yoga is the main thing I changed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think it’s temperature regulation, also, if you’re doing it right, it’s hard as shit and your heart rate is elevated for an hour.

I’ve also had a similar experience. I used to be unable to sit on the floor at all. Now I can sit on the floor with my kids for an hour and barely notice. I can also sit down and stand up from the floor without using my hands ... which is new.
That's awesome. How old are you? I hope i can replicate your results. About 5 years ago (I'm 38 now) I started noticing a serious decrease in velocity of my throws (baseball) and I couldn't hit near as far as I used to be able to and then I noticed my hips were not rotating as much as they used to. Then the past few years I noticed I was having a harder and harder time keeping up with my kids when they were playing on the floor. I just could not get comfortable in any position on the floor.
  • Like 1

Funny that this thread was just started. Today we took the kids to a splash pad and everyone else in town had the same idea, so I had to sit my ass down on a towel on concrete instead of chilling on the usual park bench. Realized that sitting down on the ground (and the getting up from it) was an issue. Like I was really uncomfortable no matter how i did it. Later this afternoon I was doing volleyball passes with my daughter in the backyard and kept hurting my back every time I mildly lunged for a ball. I was like "I need to work out more often but that would probably hurt me more".. daughter says "let's start doing some youtube yoga together instead. It's so easy blah blah" 

It was like a lightbulb went off. Duh.. makes so much sense. 

• Like 1

That's awesome. How old are you? I hope i can replicate your results. About 5 years ago (I'm 38 now) I started noticing a serious decrease in velocity of my throws (baseball) and I couldn't hit near as far as I used to be able to and then I noticed my hips were not rotating as much as they used to. Then the past few years I noticed I was having a harder and harder time keeping up with my kids when they were playing on the floor. I just could not get comfortable in any position on the floor.

I’m 42. Like I mentioned in the OP, I’m now hitting a golf farther than I ever have. I can fully turn my back to the target and I can feel myself load up through the trunk.

I was a runner for a long time, and as such have had really tight hips, they are still not great yet, but I’ve seen a lot of improvement.

I go to Memorial Big Yoga a few times a week.  Hot, vinyasa flow. 

I've always been in good shape from running, mountain biking,  and basketball.  As I aged however, flexibility went to shit and back issues began.  Yoga is great exercise and those who say otherwise have likely done less intense classes meant for relaxation and hippie bullshit.  It will absolutely make you lose weight and possibly make you fart in front of 42 year old memorial milfs.

• Like 1

I go to Memorial Big Yoga a few times a week.  Hot, vinyasa flow. 
I've always been in good shape from running, mountain biking,  and basketball.  As I aged however, flexibility went to shit and back issues began.  Yoga is great exercise and those who say otherwise have likely done less intense classes meant for relaxation and hippie bullshit.  It will absolutely make you lose weight and possibly make you fart in front of 42 year old memorial milfs.
Ive farted in that studio.

Big off Allen Parkway was my favorite studio in Houston. Great teachers and other wordly talent. Fucking packed though.

• 5 months later...
On 4/22/2021 at 2:46 PM, BTW said:

Bumping this thread.  I'm starting where you were then.

I've wanted to start for awhile and was about to in early 2020 but then covid.  Womp womp.  I'm a basic beginner and wanted in person vs virtual.  Wanting to do it for the same reasons above and everyone I know that's into yoga is lean and ripped.  Also, I'm 47 and need to maintain flexibility, strength, and balance.  

Signed up for an unlimited six month plan at he local MILFy place.  Will report back.

• Hook 'Em 2

I dabbled in the past and really enjoyed it, but have never really committed enough time to it.  I'm intrigued by the idea of trying to do 75-100 classes in 6 months.  I'm 42 and my back has started to give me issues for the first time ever the last year or so.  I think yoga would be a good way to get leaner and improve my back whilst being surrounded by hot froosh.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Bumping this thread.  I'm starting where you were then.

I've wanted to start for awhile and was about to in early 2020 but then covid.  Womp womp.  I'm a basic beginner and wanted in person vs virtual.  Wanting to do it for the same reasons above and everyone I know that's into yoga is lean and ripped.  Also, I'm 47 and need to maintain flexibility, strength, and balance.  

Signed up for an unlimited six month plan at he local MILFy place.  Will report back.

I'm glad to hear you are getting into it .  I am over 100 classes into the year and I regret nothing about it.  In fact I went both this morning and yesterday.  I too am 42 years old and I thought the days of trying to stand on my hands or on my head were behind me, but I have done both each of the last two days.

4 minutes ago, BTW said:

I'm glad to hear you are getting into it .  I am over 100 classes into the year and I regret nothing about it.  In fact I went both this morning and yesterday.  I too am 42 years old and I thought the days of trying to stand on my hands or on my head were behind me, but I have done both each of the last two days.

I have my first class tonight and like you, hoping to take 1 or 2 per day.  I'll report back on the gender dynamics but I suspect it's 90/10 if that.  I know a bunch of MILFy types at this studio already.  (I'm married and yes, she knows all of them to so that ain't happening.)

I've always told dudes over 30 that if they want to meet women, join a run club or a yoga studio.  Instead, they're golfing or hunting and wondering where the women are.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cabowabo said:

I’ve been doing some Yoga classes on the Peloton app. I’m liking it. Hopefully I’ll stay with it for a while. 

I hope you stick with it. I gave up cycling a break for about 6 weeks in the spring. Yoga and weights only. I liked it. It was a good change up. I still shoot for a couple Peloton yoga classes every week. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, wrapped up Week 2.  Really like it.  Harder than I thought but I'm not limber at all yet the instructors fold into these poses like a lawn chair.  

I like how I'm sore all over afterwards.  I'm using muscles I wouldn't otherwise use.  More dudes in the class than I thought but still a high MILF quotient*.

*I'm amazed at the number of dudes who say they can't meet women.  Tighten up your game, get on Bumble or something and then join a run group or a yoga studio.  If you want sand, go to the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a free 2 month Pelaton app subscription from a friend at work.  Going to do a couple of beginner yoga classes per week to start.  Been meaning to get back into it.  Made me feel great in my 20s, but I needed some more cardio at that time.  Still getting cardio, but I want the flexibility/feel amazing after feeling I know it provides.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:08 PM, dcbc said:

Got a free 2 month Pelaton app subscription from a friend at work.  Going to do a couple of beginner yoga classes per week to start.  Been meaning to get back into it.  Made me feel great in my 20s, but I needed some more cardio at that time.  Still getting cardio, but I want the flexibility/feel amazing after feeling I know it provides.

Anna Greenberg for the win. 

• Hook 'Em 1