CFP expansion discussion

Machinator

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm on the 6 bandwagon. It keeps the regular season important by giving two byes while expanding to make sure any potential national champ contender gets a shot.

if it is expanding I would say 8

I am not in favor of a bye week in a college playoff I don't think it is fair to either side.....having a week off to not be injured and to rest up in the college game just does not work for me along with the others playing an extra game

plus on the other side I have seen too many times in college especially (and probably some mike the pirate bias here that he is notorious for) where the team with a week off actually comes out and plays like shit after a week off.....this seems to especially happen to the "air raid" type offenses that rely on consistency and repetition...just like a lot of "air raid" type offenses open the season up in the first game and play like shit and especially struggle for points in the green zone where the game and plays change 

also with the college game while I do not think most players will be taking a quick vacation to Cabo (or wherever it was) like Romo did that one year and NFL players with bye week teams seem to do every year I think there is a legit chance for a lot of dicking off and getting arrested, injured, too wasted or anything else because well "made playoffs"

sure there is a side that can say well fuck them and their coaches for being selfish dickheads or having selfish dickheads on the team, but I think the results are another round of shittier games overall and not a good representation of what the teams were like for the entire season that was suppose to get them in the playoffs

more so to the first point I think if you are making the argument this team deserves to be in the playoff then you are making the argument to me that they are all very equal and thus they should all be playing games each week and moving up and on after a win.....if we need a "play in" round then lets just skip that

I think the real hold up is the SEC SEC SEC is not wanting to make sure that the 5 P conferences each have their champ in the playoff because they are fine with the PAC 12 especially missing out and they secretly like the Big 10 having to worry every year and they are happy when the Big 12 misses out too

I think the Big 10 is so dumb they are still taking the stand that they will make it most every year (and they get paid more than any other conference still even if they don't) so they vote with the SEC SEC SEC and the ACC probably votes similar to the SEC SEC SEC because as long as Clemson is making it they could care less and taking the stand to have "top teams" get in makes them feel like SEC SEC SEC

I am not sure how I actually think the Big 12 would vote and I know the PAC 12 is voting for each P5 winner getting in......the G5 conferences will take what they are told

so until the ACC and Big 10 start missing the playoffs consistently I don't think much will change

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm on the 6 bandwagon. It keeps the regular season important by giving two byes while expanding to make sure any potential national champ contender gets a shot.

6 is the only one that I am completely against and would be worse than 4 teams. Having the entire selection process revolve around the top 2 teams was the issue with the BCS.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The answer is and will always be the following:

5 p5 conference champions

1 g5 highest ranked

2 at large bids

Yeah.  This makes the CFP a national event.  More teams making a playoff will help some other schools recruit against the current system's playoff regulars.  It's fair.  "Did you win your conference?" is completely objective.  Plugging in a G5 champ will add a "Cinderella" element to the event.  2 at-large spots will account for the possibility that the two best teams in the country were in the same conference.

If you wanted to tweak this set-up, you could maybe require that a P5 conference champ doesn't make the playoff automatically if they are ranked below 12th or something.  That would squeeze out the rare 4+ loss conference champ from contention and keep the regular season important.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fuck that, any system that creates byes that can be persuaded by subjective opinions and pre-season polls shouldn't exist.

1 g5 highest ranked

2 at large bids

This right here is the only correct answer.  Any other opinions are wrong, and those who hold them should feel bad about themselves.  This format would allow for the four traditional New Years Day bowl games (Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Orange) to serve as the first round of the playoffs, The remaining playoff games, and the championship game could be played at any rotation of NFL stadiums.  Any teams making it to the championship game would be playing only one game more than they would be playing in the current format.  Seems like it would make a lot more money for everyone all around also.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, 83Horn said:

This right here is the only correct answer.  Any other opinions are wrong, and those who hold them should feel bad about themselves.  This format would allow for the four traditional New Years Day bowl games (Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Orange) to serve as the first round of the playoffs, The remaining playoff games, and the championship game could be played at any rotation of NFL stadiums.  Any teams making it to the championship game would be playing only one game more than they would be playing in the current format.  Seems like it would make a lot more money for everyone all around also.

Well actually, the correct answer is to go back to the old bowl system and the old conference alignments.  Eliminate the nationalization of a sport, that was actually most fun and at its best when, it was regional.  And also eliminate the hype-oriented 24/7 sports news cycle and sensationalism from major perverters like ESPN that have created the entire SECSECSEC nonsense in the first place.

BUT-- because the genie's out of the bottle and the above is impossible, then yes.  8 teams, 5 P5 champs+3 at large or +2 at large and a G5 team, is the realistic solution.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Fuck that, any system that creates byes that can be persuaded by subjective opinions and pre-season polls shouldn't exist.

1 g5 highest ranked

2 at large bids

This is the correct answer

50 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well actually, the correct answer is to go back to the old bowl system and the old conference alignments.  Eliminate the nationalization of a sport, that was actually most fun and at its best when, it was regional.  And also eliminate the hype-oriented 24/7 sports news cycle and sensationalism from major perverters like ESPN that have created the entire SECSECSEC nonsense in the first place.

BUT-- because the genie's out of the bottle and the above is impossible, then yes.  8 teams, 5 P5 champs+3 at large or +2 at large and a G5 team, is the realistic solution.

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of this.  You said it better than I did.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 with a requirement that P5 conferences play a minimum number of conference games and no more than one OOC G5 game.

I also wouldn’t mind that if two teams from one conference get in, the first playoff round pits those teams against each other to prevent both finalists from being from a single conference.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

8 with a requirement that P5 conferences play a minimum number of conference games and no more than one OOC G5 game.

I also wouldn’t mind that if two teams from one conference get in, the first playoff round pits those teams against each other to prevent both finalists from being from a single conference.

5 P5 and 3 at large with a limit of 2 from a conference is probably the best solution since schedules are so unbalanced. Then it doesn’t matter what the SEC does, if they get an artificially inflated team in at large, they will get exposed before winning 3 games and the myth will slowly die.

The big problem now is it’s a free for all for the top 4 spots and whatever it asks to grab one of those spots.  The SEC has designed a system to exploit that at the fans expense, seriously, nearly half the conference only play one another once every 7 years.

It should be 16 teams. It always should have been, but the administrators of college football like to play fuck fuck with everything, and control where the revenue goes. If you think the current set up has anything to do with logic or reason beyond controlling the flow of money, then you are delusional. It has zero to do with determining an actual champion.

I'm fine with 8 or 16 games, but would probably prefer 16. I'm not particularly worried about how it will impact their studies, and I doubt the players give a shit either. Get rid of conference championship games if people are worried about the physical demands of a longer season, as presumably the majority of these teams would be in their respective CCG. But if fcs schools can play up to 16 games without mass casualties, I'm sure the big boys can figure it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, slorch said:

It should be 16 teams. It always should have been, but the administrators of college football like to play fuck fuck with everything, and control where the revenue goes. If you think the current set up has anything to do with logic or reason beyond controlling the flow of money, then you are delusional. It has zero to do with determining an actual champion.

I don't think there's been a season where 16 teams have been good enough to win a title. 8 is enough. 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

I don't think there's been a season where 16 teams have been good enough to win a title. 8 is enough. 

Remove the politics and the shenanigans from the selection process, see also: SEC  scheduling and November cupcakes; and I might be persuaded. Otherwise it needs to be more teams, not fewer.

18 hours ago, utee94 said:

Fuck the bowls.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

I'm fine with 8 or 16 games, but would probably prefer 16. I'm not particularly worried about how it will impact their studies, and I doubt the players give a shit either. Get rid of conference championship games if people are worried about the physical demands of a longer season, as presumably the majority of these teams would be in their respective CCG. But if fcs schools can play up to 16 games without mass casualties, I'm sure the big boys can figure it out. 

FBS presidents worry that the Magic FCS Spray may cause myocarditis.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:51 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

1 g5 highest ranked

2 at large bids

1 g5 highest ranked

2 at large bids

Top two get a bye

16 games works for Texas High school and the NFL( now 17)

but it too haaaawd fo the colludge boys with 85 fucking schollies.

gimme a gotdam break...

Edited by slorch

It's not a playoff unless the rules for entry are determined before the season starts. There shouldn't be committees deciding, "Well, LSU didn't win their half of the conference, but they're really good," or "Well, Georgia lost in the SEC championship, but they deserve a mulligan."

If all the P5 champions are included, the P5 championships become playoff games. That means ten of the 65 teams in the P5 would already be in the playoffs. 

None of the losers of the conference championship games should get in. Let the G5s & Independents compete for the other three slots. On the P5 championship weekends, the G5s could play each other and the highest ranked team that isn't already playing. That would leave a total of eight teams still in contention, and give the independents an opportunity. 

It would create Cinderella stories, underdog stories, and most important, it would be a real playoff, where at the start of the season, you could get to the playoffs by winning. 

It won't ever happen because the P5s will never let a system exist where a G5 could advance in the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

It's not a playoff unless the rules for entry are determined before the season starts. There shouldn't be committees deciding, "Well, LSU didn't win their half of the conference, but they're really good," or "Well, Georgia lost in the SEC championship, but they deserve a mulligan."

If all the P5 champions are included, the P5 championships become playoff games. That means ten of the 65 teams in the P5 would already be in the playoffs. 

None of the losers of the conference championship games should get in. Let the G5s & Independents compete for the other three slots. On the P5 championship weekends, the G5s could play each other and the highest ranked team that isn't already playing. That would leave a total of eight teams still in contention, and give the independents an opportunity. 

It would create Cinderella stories, underdog stories, and most important, it would be a real playoff, where at the start of the season, you could get to the playoffs by winning. 

It won't ever happen because the P5s will never let a system exist where a G5 could advance in the playoffs.

This ain’t basketball brother. 

coastal Carolina isn’t beating Bama. 

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This ain’t basketball brother. 

coastal Carolina isn’t beating Bama. 

Boise State has beaten Oklahoma and Arizona.

UCF has beaten Auburn and Baylor.

Alabama's lost something like twelve games total in the last ten years. I guess nobody should be in the playoffs except Alabama. 

6 hours ago, markstanco said:
13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
200.gif

It would go until February. August to February would be tough.

Bullshit excuses. Cut out all of the bye weeks and scheduling horseshit.

September through December is 16 weekends.  Play a 9 game conference schedule. Play 12 games in 13 weeks. Have Conference Championship Week in mid December.  Oh, SEC, you don't like 9 Conference games?  then you get a loss for not playing it, and  also, fix your bullshit scheduling where Bama and Georgia play once every 12 years. Additionally, if they started the last weekend of August like they already do...welp, that's put the championship game the 2nd week of January.  That's weird as fuck...it's the same length of the current scheduling system. Shocking, I know...

Even the shittiest of marketing teams could make this way the fuck bigger than March Madness.  It isn't difficult.

It would make more money than they do now, and it would be games people actually want to see; as opposed to Wisconsin and Florida playing in the Outback Bowl and nobody GAF.  If they want to keep the lesser bowls for non-qualifiers, then roll with it.  Nothing would change from how they are now.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Bullshit excuses. Cut out all of the bye weeks and scheduling horseshit.

September through December is 16 weekends.  Play a 9 game conference schedule. Play 12 games in 13 weeks. Have Conference Championship Week in mid December.  Oh, SEC, you don't like 9 Conference games?  then you get a loss for not playing it, and  also, fix your bullshit scheduling where Bama and Georgia play once every 12 years. Additionally, if they started the last weekend of August like they already do...welp, that's put the championship game the 2nd week of January.  That's weird as fuck...it's the same length of the current scheduling system. Shocking, I know...

Even the shittiest of marketing teams could make this way the fuck bigger than March Madness.  It isn't difficult.

It would make more money than they do now, and it would be games people actually want to see; as opposed to Wisconsin and Florida playing in the Outback Bowl and nobody GAF.  If they want to keep the lesser bowls for non-qualifiers, then roll with it.  Nothing would change from how they are now.

I could get behind this.  While I think 8 is the most logical number, a 16 team or 32 team playoff would be a lot more fun and it would probably motivate some of the mid tier programs to invest in their football programs since they would have a shot at making the playoffs with some effort. I don't see the lower ranked teams as ever being important players in the actual title hunt, but they'd expose a top 5 pretender here and there. 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/25/2021 at 6:34 AM, slorch said:

...It would make more money than they do now, and it would be games people actually want to see; as opposed to Wisconsin and Florida playing in the Outback Bowl and nobody GAF.  If they want to keep the lesser bowls for non-qualifiers, then roll with it.  Nothing would change from how they are now.

I agree with about everything and would love to see eight too.   Rarely is there a 9th team you're like "they've got the moxie baby!" but every year there is a 5th or 6th with a case to be made.   Also, I detest byes.   Fuck that all right in the ear.   Especially when seasons are inconsistent with how many conference games vs FCS games vs who you played divisionally, etc.   Seed them, but everyone plays is my take.

However, it likely won't make a lot more money then they do now, outside normal inflationary increases.   Ignoring decreasing viewership across sports, the #5 to #8 teams are already factored into the valuation (technically the top 12 are).   Its not the Outback Bowl that matters for this, its the Rose, Sugar, Orange that do and, at $80m payouts per game, its a sizable figure already.   All of those will get one tier lower teams in it, which doesn't value as well.   You may add a little more buzz, but its not all new money.   Additionally, even if you disagree with the four, the set up guarantees they'll have three games with teams ranked in the top four.   This adds to the money because there isn't the risk someone lower slips in there.  When you can't guarantee that year in and year out, you have to value it lower.  Basically:  8 = more opportunity, 4 = higher value per game.   

Of course if they could nuke the entire bowl structure from orbit and rebuilt it, I wouldn't mind.

To repeat my pie-in-the-sky plan, college football postseason is done backwards. We argue about the number of teams to include, pick a number, then force the teams into that number. Instead, there should be objective criteria for championship worthiness (some transparent formula of achievements like conference championships and ELO-like calculations). Every team that meets some established benchmark makes the playoffs. Anyone who doesn’t, stays at home or goes to whatever bowls are left over.

If two teams make it, there’s your championship game. If 8 make it, you have a big tournament.

A five-loss conference champion shouldn’t make the playoffs and an undefeated conference champion shouldn’t be left out. Establish criteria that will give you 4-8 worthy teams most years and then play it out.

It would never work because of TV, but it’s the best way. Everyone would know the standards from day one and we’d always have playoffs of only championship caliber teams.

however large we go: fuck bye weeks, the last thing some team like alabama needs is another advantage. 

re more games ruining bowls, i don't get this at all. 

work the new playoff games into various home games and bowl games, and boom solve 3 problems at once including the ones with kids dropping out of bowl games. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think it will with all the advertising and money in the bowl system. That would knock out the bowl system. I think the max we will see is 8 

They’re already killing the bowl system. Going to 8 teams will only doom it further. You have a case study in the NCAA basketball tournament. Abso-fucking-lutely it will grow to 16 teams. Stop kidding yourself. There’s no way in hell it won’t eventually grow to 16 teams. The cries to expand it from 4 to 8 began after one year. We know where it’s going to go. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They’re already killing the bowl system. Going to 8 teams will only doom it further. You have a case study in the NCAA basketball tournament. Abso-fucking-lutely it will grow to 16 teams. Stop kidding yourself. There’s no way in hell it won’t eventually grow to 16 teams. The cries to expand it from 4 to 8 began after one year. We know where it’s going to go. 

I’ll do a $1 gentlemen’s bet that it doesn’t go to 16 in the next 5-10 years