CFP expansion discussion

Machinator

8 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

I don't get the play here either , this is broadcasting a few things

1. these schools have no vision

2. they are happy to take whatever comes their way when things line up 

3. they are more concerned keeping the other leagues down at their own expense from the top

4. ACC / Pac12 will not existing in their current form in 10 years 

When people wonder why Texas moved on, this is the Big12 playbook the past decade and we're in the endgame now 

Its the ego of the 3 new commissioners trying to show they are important.

2 hours ago, bullet said:

Its the ego of the 3 new commissioners trying to show they are important.

Its a dumb position to take. All they are doing is limiting exposure for their conferences and teams. The perception is going to remain that the SEC is the strongest conference and should have 2 teams in the playoffs every year. With Texas and OUsux added, the SEC will have even more eyes on their games. Soon ESPN will start pressing for 3 SEC teams deserve to be in since its so tough.

• 5 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 9:09 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s eventually going to grow to 16 teams. Just go ahead and do it and stop kidding yourselves. 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:12 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't think it will with all the advertising and money in the bowl system. That would knock out the bowl system. I think the max we will see is 8 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:20 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

They’re already killing the bowl system. Going to 8 teams will only doom it further. You have a case study in the NCAA basketball tournament. Abso-fucking-lutely it will grow to 16 teams. Stop kidding yourself. There’s no way in hell it won’t eventually grow to 16 teams. The cries to expand it from 4 to 8 began after one year. We know where it’s going to go. 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:24 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

I’ll do a $1 gentlemen’s bet that it doesn’t go to 16 in the next 5-10 years 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:27 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ll probably bail on college football by that time. Just remember who told you so. 

Expansion to 16 teams is as inevitable as the sunrise. 

Increase the number of conference games and total games played and it will not only be a fair process with a proven champion, it will make every bit as much revenue as making it a 16 team playoff. We don't need more than 6 to 8 teams in the playoff.

11 or 13 conference games and only 1 or 2 OOC games against P3/P5 quality competition. The conference champions and a few automatic qualifiers in the playoff.

You eliminate the nonsense cupcake games and unbalanced schedules and make the regular season matter again. You create a much fairer process in determining a champion.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Wow.  If this were next year 10 of the 12 slots would be SEC or B1G.  Before anyone corrects me I know that some of those teams wouldn't make it because there would be more games between them.

If this was next year, then some of those teams wouldn't make it because there would be more games between them.

Mean Girls Halloween GIF

• 2 months later...

So what will breakdown of the 12 team 2024 playoff look like??

Maybe:

• 4 SEC teams
  • 4 Big 10
  • 1 or 2 ACC
  • 1 or 2 B12
  • 1 G5 team

Notre Dame might take one of the 12 spots?  

Will the PAC2 still receive an automatic CFP bid? 

Gonna be great that so many more new teams will now have legitimate shots to make the playoffs.  Hope the B12 works on their tiebreaker rules because they really suck.  

PAC 2 already doesn’t get an auto bid, conference has to have 8 or 10 minimum. The change they’re still working on I think is 5 auto bids instead of 6. If it doesn’t change another g5 champ gets an auto bid. It’s an obviously needed change. Liberty’s shit showing and SMU losing their bowl too makes the decision easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

PAC 2 already doesn’t get an auto bid, conference has to have 8 or 10 minimum. The change they’re still working on I think is 5 auto bids instead of 6. If it doesn’t change another g5 champ gets an auto bid. It’s an obviously needed change. Liberty’s shit showing and SMU losing their bowl too makes the decision easier.

I think that change is going to happen.

12 is a good number, any more just waters things down and makes non-playoff bowls even more irrelevant if that's possible.

That said, the auto bid for "best of G5" needs to go. Some years it may be legit, but most years it will simply fuck a team with a real shot of going all the way.

14 minutes ago, ousux said:

12 is a good number, any more just waters things down and makes non-playoff bowls even more irrelevant if that's possible.

That said, the auto bid for "best of G5" needs to go. Some years it may be legit, but most years it will simply fuck a team with a real shot of going all the way.

16 if it gets rid of shitty byes is best

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, ousux said:

12 is a good number, any more just waters things down and makes non-playoff bowls even more irrelevant... That said, the auto bid for "best of G5" needs to go. Some years it may be legit, but most years it will simply fuck a team with a real shot of going all the way.

I like at least one G5 team getting in -- give the little guys a shot.  Also with the 12 team playoff, there's gonna be more 1year 1hit wonders. 

Teams like an Ole Miss, toads, k-state,  cincy, louisville, and maybe even a tulane can spend more money for a few key players in a year where their roster has a shot to advance to the the CFP. Then they might fall back for a couple of years before they can try to build the roster back up for another run to make the 12 team playoff.  

Edited by LTtxfan

24 playoff schedule released

First round (on-campus)
Friday, Dec. 20, 2024: One game (evening)
Saturday, Dec. 21, 2024: Three games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)

Quarterfinals
Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2024: Vrbo Fiesta Bowl (evening)
Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2025: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl Game (late afternoon) and Allstate Sugar Bowl (evening)

Semifinals
Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025: Capital One Orange Bowl (evening)
Friday, Jan. 10, 2025: Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (evening)

CFP National Championship game
Monday, Jan. 20, 2025: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

24 playoff schedule released

First round (on-campus)
Friday, Dec. 20, 2024: One game (evening)
Saturday, Dec. 21, 2024: Three games (early afternoon, late afternoon and evening)

Quarterfinals
Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2024: Vrbo Fiesta Bowl (evening)
Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2025: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (early afternoon), Rose Bowl Game (late afternoon) and Allstate Sugar Bowl (evening)

Semifinals
Thursday, Jan. 9, 2025: Capital One Orange Bowl (evening)
Friday, Jan. 10, 2025: Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic (evening)

CFP National Championship game
Monday, Jan. 20, 2025: Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta

That's really well laid out, IMO.  Outside of putting the natty on a Monday.  Put it on Friday the 17th.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's really well laid out, IMO.  Outside of putting the natty on a Monday.  Put it on Friday the 17th.

friday 17th is only 7 days between semis and final - not nearly enough time for physical recovery, preparation for the next opponent, and depending on how the prior locations sort out, no way enough time for 2 fanbases to potentially undertake their 2nd transcon trip in as many weeks

the better move would be push it back to the 25th, the saturday on the weekend of the league's conference finals

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

friday 17th is only 7 days between semis and final - not nearly enough time for physical recovery, preparation for the next opponent, and depending on how the prior locations sort out, no way enough time for 2 fanbases to potentially undertake their 2nd transcon trip in as many weeks

the better move would be push it back to the 25th, the saturday on the weekend of the league's conference finals

Yeah, that's a good idea.

Just get it off of a Monday, and don't have it going up against the NFL.  It's not hard to do both those things.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've said it before and it will never happen. Put it the week before the Super Bowl at the same stadium. Football overload. it will never happen because NFL does not want anything near the Super Bowl. But it would be great for fans

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

I've said it before and it will never happen. Put it the week before the Super Bowl at the same stadium. Football overload. it will never happen because NFL does not want anything near the Super Bowl. But it would be great for fans

This is also a great idea.  Good way to keep football in that dead Saturday between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

But seriously, anything to get it off a fucking Monday.  I haven't watched an entire national championship game since probably DeShaun to Renfrow, which has been damn near a decade.

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It was my understanding that they had fuck all to do with the CFP.

But I could be way off on that too.

No you are correct.  The NCAA has zero involvement in any of the FBS post-season (other than the rulebook that is used to govern the games, I suppose).  

Edited by utee94

How does this matter? Do you expect fans to attend both?

I’d attend the national championship, but I’d be gone well before the Super Bowl as would almost all others I’d assume. I’m not sure who has the capacity to buy both tickets and sit around a week. So what’s the point?

No I don't expect them to attend both. It would still be fun week for either fans.
Except for the fact I've known a lot of NFL fans who don't give a fuck about CFB (yes, makes zero sense) and vice versa. (I tend towards this end, but makes more sense)

I went to a Cowboys game a few years back and let's just say it wasn't exactly a yuppy crowd, more like construction workers, plumbers, electricians and such that either went to trade school or none at all. Of course they have disposable income to waste on tickets plus Jerrah's highway robbery parking fee, overpriced beer and bar food, but I bet not many of them could name 4 star CFB players at any given time. The only time they get interested is on draft day based on the opinions of whichever talking head they follow. Two different fanbases without a huge amount of crossover imo.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Except for the fact I've known a lot of NFL fans who don't give a fuck about CFB (yes, makes zero sense) and vice versa. (I tend towards this end, but makes more sense)

I went to a Cowboys game a few years back and let's just say it wasn't exactly a yuppy crowd, more like construction workers, plumbers, electricians and such that either went to trade school or none at all. Of course they have disposable income to waste on tickets plus Jerrah's highway robbery parking fee, overpriced beer and bar food, but I bet not many of them could name 4 star CFB players at any given time. The only time they get interested is on draft day based on the opinions of whichever talking head they follow. Two different fanbases without a huge amount of crossover imo.

I think this is true and more so true now.  But there were at least a couple of times back when I was in school in the mid ‘80s when the Cowboys v. Redskins game was at Texas stadium on the Sunday following TX-OU.  Lots of Texas and OU fans stayed over for that game.  Of course that is consecutive days not waiting a week between games and it is the CFB fan having an interest in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, 89Horn said:

I think this is true and more so true now.  But there were at least a couple of times back when I was in school in the mid ‘80s when the Cowboys v. Redskins game was at Texas stadium on the Sunday following TX-OU.  Lots of Texas and OU fans stayed over for that game.  Of course that is consecutive days not waiting a week between games and it is the CFB fan having an interest in the NFL.

In 2005 Texas beat the hell out of OU 45-12 in the Cotton Bowl and then the next day Dallas beat the hell out of the hated Eagles 33-10 at Texas Stadium.  My group attended both games and that was one glorious weekend, I can tell you.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I hate the Monday night championships. Friday or Saturday. Or start it earlier. I don't love that Thursday semi-final, either though. 

It is going to be tough to schedule no matter what, so I will take it, but damn I hate those late games on the weeknights. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

I hate the Monday night championships. Friday or Saturday. Or start it earlier. I don't love that Thursday semi-final, either though. 

It is going to be tough to schedule no matter what, so I will take it, but damn I hate those late games on the weeknights. 

Winter's a slow time for me, so I don't mind being up a little late on a Thursday and it's only one game.

Monday is just horseshit though.  Hell, I get mad when my NFL team is on MNF.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

They were closer this year. Monday to Monday between semis and final. Thursday and Friday to a week from Monday gives and extra 3 days for both teams.

21 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Winter's a slow time for me, so I don't mind being up a little late on a Thurs and it's only 1 game. Monday is just horseshit though.  Hell, I get mad when my NFL team is on MNF.

Why do you hate Monday so much?

• Fly to ATL Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon your choice
  • Then fly back home Tues/Wed

If it's a good game, I'll watch the whole thing.  If it's shitty/ blowout, I'll likely watch opening possession for each team in the 3rdQ and call it a night.  The Monday thing doesn't bug me too bad, but you play all freaking year on Saturdays.  Play the semis and CG on Saturdays.

Edited by slorch

On 1/17/2024 at 10:42 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Gotta have a meeting about having a meeting. 

WSU and OSU didn't have all their legal ducks in a row so they asked for more time.  They did approve the 8 team minimum to qualify as a conference.

When you look at the whole BCS/CFP era, in 26 years the current G5 would only have gotten 17 bids in a 6/6 model.  Most of those #5 and #6 champs are schools now in the P4, either BE schools or the Big 12 newbies (UL, TCU, Cincy, UH, UCF).  So a 5/7 gives the current G5 teams better access than they would have had in the past with a 6/6 when the Pac 12 was still around.  And 8 of those 17 would have been Boise when they had their great streak.

• 2 weeks later...

Report: Washington State, Pac-2 proposal leads to delay on College Football Playoff format change

by:Wade Peery•16 minutes

One of the biggest changes that college football fans have been clamoring for decades is expanding the College Football Playoff format from four teams to 12 teams. The good news is fans will finally get to see the CFP with 12 teams in 2024 and 2025. But beyond 2025, it’s future could potentially be up in the air.

The latest thing that’s holding up the format change–which needs a unanimous vote–is a proposal from Washington State President Kirk Schulz asking for guarantees of voting rights/revenue distribution for the Pac-12/Pac-2 (Washington State and Oregon State) beyond 2025, according to Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports.

Around a month ago, the leaders of the College Football Playoff came together in Houston, Texas before the national championship game expecting to adopt the change in format to the 12-team playoff.

Dellenger explained why the delay in a vote has swirled even more uncertainty around the CFP after 2025.

“The latest delay casts more doubt on the future of the playoff beyond 2025, the final year that the 10 FBS conferences and Notre Dame are contractually bonded together through the CFP’s television deal with media partner ESPN. Though the CFP is in the midst of negotiations with ESPN to extend the deal, there is currently no contractually bound playoff starting in 2026,” Dellenger wrote in his column for Yahoo Sports.

In their interview with Yahoo Sports last week, SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey and Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti expressed doubts on their commitment to the future of the College Football Playoff if the leaders can’t correct a number of issues. Greg Sankey was asked if he was committed to the CFP after 2025 and he said, “Yep, but we’ve got a lot to get right. The commitment is we want to get this right.”

The news comes on the heels of an announcement on Friday that the SEC and Big Ten were forming a joint advisory board to study the future of college athletics.

The College Football Playoff Management Committee is currently made up of commissioners from the 10 conferences across college football. That committee, plus Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbick are currently scheduled to meet on Monday and Tuesday in Dallas, Texas. Those two days are expected to be full of key decisions over the College Football Playoff’s long-term future.

In 2022, the College Football Playoff Board of Managers approved an expansion format that gives automatic spots to the six highest-ranked conference champions and at-large spots to the next six highest-ranked teams.

https://www.on3.com/news/report-washington-state-pac-2-proposal-leads-to-delay-on-college-football-playoff-format-change/

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

ESPN locking up the playoffs thru 2032

I wonder how this impacts the negotiation on the number of at-large bids. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39520319/college-football-playoff-board-managers-expected-vote-5-plus-7-format

"I think it's a foregone conclusion from people in your profession, and where I sit and all across the college football landscape that there's an anticipation we'll have the 5+7," he said. "Just a few months from now we'll be playing the playoff. Everyone needs to know what the format is. I hope we as a board can come to a resolution on this issue, for sure."