2021 receivers

Hagbard Celine

@satyanash from the 'game' thread.....

The WR group is awful. Drops, drops, drops. Woodard and Epps were big culprits but even Washington, when he makes catches, makes doing so look like a herculean task. So much dead roster weight and no game-breakers of the calibre Sark was slaughtering secondaries at Alabama with. Reminds me of the late-era Mack Brown days when we had Greg Timmons, Brock Fitzhenry, DJ Grant, etc. cluttering up the roster. And evidently neither Jared Wiley (who was beaten a lot in pass pro) nor Gunnar Helm can block, so that's fantastic.

Quoting the board Eeyore Satyanash to get this thread going is a strong start.

That said, there's no way around it, we need an infusion of talent at receiver. Worthy is a good start, but it might take him some time to get involved as he missed the spring install.

Hopefully another impact player shakes loose. Otherwise we have to hope for good health with Whittington and for Omeire to live up to all the practice report hype.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Quoting the board Eeyore Satyanash to get this thread going is a strong start.

That said, there's no way around it, we need an infusion of talent at receiver. Worthy is a good start, but it might take him some time to get involved as he missed the spring install.

Hopefully another impact player shakes loose. Otherwise we have to hope for good health with Whittington and for Omeire to live up to all the practice report hype.

Maybe, but with Smith coming back all we have to hope for is for Smith and Whittington to stay healthy, for one of Omeire, Washington, Cain, Worthy, Alexis, Lee, Money, PTBNL to show and for Epps and Woodard to transfer.

4 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Thanks for starting the thread. OUSux has consistently outrecruited us in this position. Sark needs to change it real soon. 

It’s way more important that he fix the OL.  We will not compete for conference titles until he does, even with the Cee Dee Lambs of the world. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Maybe, but with Smith coming back all we have to hope for is for Smith and Whittington to stay healthy, for one of Omeire, Washington, Cain, Worthy, Alexis, Lee, Money, PTBNL to show and for Epps and Woodard to transfer.

Ah yes, the proven consistent productivity of Jake Smith. That's the missing piece.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s way more important that he fix the OL.  We will not compete for conference titles until he does, even with the Cee Dee Lambs of the world. 

That is true but I am tired of OU plucking the best WRs from around the country and them .making big plays on us. 

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wait, I was told by surly a few weeks ago that this years WR room is solid and we shouldnt worry. 

We have the worst group in years. Our two best guys, JWhitt and Jake Smith, are injury prone and inconsistent. Others are just hopes and prayers. No sure thing - no Shipley or Duvernay to bail us out on third and long.

9 minutes ago, Nope said:

Would be nice to get a 6’4” plus big body type (who can catch) in the portal

I'm not sure this offense thrives off big body types, unless they have speed.  Juan Davis may be who you're looking for.  I don't expect him to become a TE overnight, he's already getting reps out wide, and he looks eerily similar to LJ Humphrey.   Also, Omeire might fit the mold you're looking for.

Edited by Hmmm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nope said:

Would be nice to get a 6’4” plus big body type (who can catch) in the portal

That’s not that important of a role,and you pretty much just described Troy Omeire, so we definitely don’t need to waste a transfer spot on that. 

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

We have the worst group in years. Our two best guys, JWhitt and Jake Smith, are injury prone and inconsistent. Others are just hopes and prayers. No sure thing - no Shipley or Duvernay to bail us out on third and long.

We didn’t think we had a Duvernay on the roster in 2019 until the season started. We’re not proven, but we do have some talent if guys can stay healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s not that important of a role,and you pretty much just described Troy Omeire, so we definitely don’t need to waste a transfer spot on that. 

We didn’t think we had a Duvernay on the roster in 2019 until the season started. We’re not proven, but we do have some talent if guys can stay healthy. 

True. I thought Jake Smith would fill Duvernay's shoes last year. Hopefully, he shows up this year. Duvernay had elite speed though. 

9 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

True. I thought Jake Smith would fill Duvernay's shoes last year. Hopefully, he shows up this year. Duvernay had elite speed though. 

Consider that concern answered as well as possible to this point. At Big 12 Media Days, head coach Tom Herman said that Smith posted the best testing numbers of the summer enrollees aside from safety Tyler Owens, one of the fastest prep players in the country.

Even cornerback Kenyatta Watson II, who posted a 4.50 40-yard dash, a 4.12-second shuttle, and a 45.2-inch vertical leap in high school, didn’t match the testing numbers put up by Smith.

In Arlington with Herman, junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger called Jake Smith “freaky fast.”

“Both of those guys, as you mentioned, Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington — freakish athletes,” junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger said at Big 12 Media Days. “Definitely pass the eye test when they’re running around, moving around, just the takeoff speed, the explosiveness, the elusiveness, the quickness, it’s all there."

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/8/9/20749686/jake-smith-texas-longhorns-sam-ehlinger-big-12-media-days

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Consider that concern answered as well as possible to this point. At Big 12 Media Days, head coach Tom Herman said that Smith posted the best testing numbers of the summer enrollees aside from safety Tyler Owens, one of the fastest prep players in the country.

Even cornerback Kenyatta Watson II, who posted a 4.50 40-yard dash, a 4.12-second shuttle, and a 45.2-inch vertical leap in high school, didn’t match the testing numbers put up by Smith.

In Arlington with Herman, junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger called Jake Smith “freaky fast.”

“Both of those guys, as you mentioned, Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington — freakish athletes,” junior quarterback Sam Ehlinger said at Big 12 Media Days. “Definitely pass the eye test when they’re running around, moving around, just the takeoff speed, the explosiveness, the elusiveness, the quickness, it’s all there."

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/8/9/20749686/jake-smith-texas-longhorns-sam-ehlinger-big-12-media-days

Jake Smith is fast, no doubt. He just needs to work on his route running and ball catching. Duvernay never had any issues with ball catching if memory serves me right. Jake on the other hand dropped a few passes on 3rd downs that neither Duvernay or Shipley brothers would drop. We need that one reliable WR that our QB can count on to get the first down when things break down.

Saturday was definitely not a great showing for sure. I counted five drops in the first quarter alone. That being said, we have seen better from Moore and I think he is at least an average Big 12 receiver. Whitt and Smith are more questions of staying healthy than lacking the requisite talent. Our best overall receiver was wearing a knee brace and not even 75%. There are a lot of “ifs” but if those four are healthy, that’s at least an average Big 12 receiving unit. After those four? Holy fucking shit it’s not pretty. 

2 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

That is true but I am tired of OU plucking the best WRs from around the country and them .making big plays on us. 

motherhumping this.

we have guaranteed qb play for at least 2 years.  we have the marquee OOC game in 21 & 22 with the september learner/master matchup storyline.

any badass thinking of the portal this summer has got to give us a look.

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

OU just does a better job of picking the right guys and developing them. 

They are, weirdly in a year that's otherwise awesome for them in terms of roster construction, pretty pessimistic about their current WR room. The five-stars look kind of JAG-y and Bridges was too much of a moron even for Norman. Mims can ball, but there's not much thrilling behind him.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They are, weirdly in a year that's otherwise awesome for them in terms of roster construction, pretty pessimistic about their current WR room. The five-stars look kind of JAG-y and Bridges was too much of a moron even for Norman. Mims can ball, but there's not much thrilling behind him.

I’m sure their next big thing will have a breakout game vs us. It always seems to work that way 

Eh, this group has talent.  It’s just all inexperienced.  Whittington is an elite talent if he can stay healthy.  I’m excited about Omeire.  He’s limited right now but he should be completely good to go come fall camp.  We’ve got Josh Moore and we know he can be productive.  If he’s your #1, we’re pretty much fucked.  But if he ends up being our 3rd best WR this year, I’ll be pleased.  I’m hoping one of Washington, Dixon, and Worthy step up for that 4th spot.  I’d prefer we go with a speed guy.  

That’s not a bad rotation.  These coaches need to get them ready.  I know it’s not Bama from a talent perspective, but all of these guys were 4 and 5 star guys that have shown flashes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

Hopefully Montrell Estell, Kennedy Lewis, Alvonte Woodard, Marcus Washington, and Malcolm Epps all take the next step this season. I think we are about to see something special from these guys.

the portal's pretty special right about now

58 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why is everyone so high on Omeire? Based on just practice reports? Didn't we make fun of him as a recruit for being slow? I see him as someone who might catch a few jump balls to move the chains but I doubt he will be an all Big 12 receiver.

Did you watch spring game? Dude is nfl body and length. In/out of his cuts even hobbled is effortless. Has good speed for his size as well 

If he can get fully healthy he’s going to be a force. 

26 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Did you watch spring game? Dude is nfl body and length. In/out of his cuts even hobbled is effortless. Has good speed for his size as well 

If he can get fully healthy he’s going to be a force. 

Not enough data point imo but hope he can be a difference maker for us. 

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, but then this transfer WR shows up in Norman...  DAMN

Edited by LTtxfan

9 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Hopefully Montrell Estell, Kennedy Lewis, Alvonte Woodard, Marcus Washington, and Malcolm Epps all take the next step this season. I think we are about to see something special from these guys.

Pretty sure Kennedy Lewis is no longer on the team

9 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why is everyone so high on Omeire? Based on just practice reports? Didn't we make fun of him as a recruit for being slow? I see him as someone who might catch a few jump balls to move the chains but I doubt he will be an all Big 12 receiver.

It will be fun to see how this post ages over the next couple years. 

The speed thing was early on. He got in better shape and was noticeably faster and more agile his senior year. 

Go back and watch him in the spring game. He moved extremely well for a guy his size that’s not even 100% yet. He’s going to be good. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It will be fun to see how this post ages over the next couple years. 

The speed thing was early on. He got in better shape and was noticeably faster and more agile his senior year. 

Go back and watch him in the spring game. He moved extremely well for a guy his size that’s not even 100% yet. He’s going to be good. 

I also remember reading that he ran that terrible 40 time at the camp while he was injured.