Transfer LB Devin Richardson

Teryor

Roach

Texas has several lines in the water on transfer guys. They are still very much in on Ben Davis and Palaie Gaoteote. A source told me the staff feels they have a serious need at linebacker and Richardson checked several boxes. He will likely play inside.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Holy shit this kid is good and he'll be here for 2-3 years. If he was actually near his listed weight of 233 in these clips, that's some extremely good agility for a guy that size.  He reminds of what BJ Foster could be if he switched to LB. He showed some really good vision in finding the ball carrier and meeting him in the hole. He also generates a lot of power in small areas. 

His coverage drop at 1:35 was a thing of beauty.  He gets good depth while watching the QB, doesn't see anyone in his zone, so he takes a peak backwards and drops toward the receiver in the middle of the field, then has the speed to close on the throw and contest the catch. And NMSU is god awful, so it's not like he's receiving great coaching. Probably not Todd Orlando levels of bad coaching but still.

47 minutes ago, maninblack said:

The WR and LB rooms really suck

Mehringer/Herman and Orlando. So yeah, I'd say that checks out.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

In all seriousness, the country is full of under-recruited kids from Texas who had to settle for a school like NMSU but have shown they are D1 caliber and would love the opportunity to come home and play for UT. In the portal era, a well-oiled Texas program should snag a couple of these every year.

No shit. Talk about “winning the lottery”.  Good for you, Devin! Go kick ass and take no prisoners. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That’s adeoye sized. Is he fast?  Didn’t watch the highlight clip yet. 

I'm pretty damned excited about this pickup and what it portends for the future.

I was thinking that Alabama would clean up from the portal in the future, but now I'm seeing that we* will as well.

I could see future recruiting classes of 17 to 20 guys with 5+ coming via transfer through the portal and immediate eligibility in the future. Kind of like what USC & OU have done for years with JuCos, but we'll be doing it with STUDENT athletes. (Getting JuCo players in through the years has been difficult, or we've had a a jackass coach who thought that we were too good for that... Mack.)

SIDE NOTE: This will be his 4th year of college. 
-2018 Redshirt
-2019 Redshirt Freshman (Fresh All-American)
-2020 Doesn't Count / Didn't Happen
-2021 DEVIN RICHARDSON Transfers To Texas and is... READY TO KICK ASS (sophomore year)
-2022 Super Junior
-2023 Super Senior

He will be a full grown man when he arrives, not a high school kid who thinks that he knows it all.

*Of course I am using "we". I have a brick at the alumni center across from the stadium, so I'm practically on the coaching staff.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2