Transfer LB Devin Richardson

Teryor

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I'm pretty damned excited about this pickup and what it portends for the future.

I was thinking that Alabama would clean up from the portal in the future, but now I'm seeing that we* will as well.

I could see future recruiting classes of 17 to 20 guys with 5+ coming via transfer through the portal and immediate eligibility in the future. Kind of like what USC & OU have done for years with JuCos, but we'll be doing it with STUDENT athletes. (Getting JuCo players in through the years has been difficult, or we've had a a jackass coach who thought that we were too good for that... Mack.)

SIDE NOTE: This will be his 4th year of college. 
-2018 Redshirt
-2019 Redshirt Freshman (Fresh All-American)
-2020 Doesn't Count / Didn't Happen
-2021 DEVIN RICHARDSON Transfers To Texas and is... READY TO KICK ASS (sophomore year)
-2022 Super Junior
-2023 Super Senior

He will be a full grown man when he arrives, not a high school kid who thinks that he knows it all.

*Of course I am using "we". I have a brick at the alumni center across from the stadium, so I'm practically on the coaching staff.

Seems very clear cut, but I will post a question for clarity:

A student in this situation is eligible for the draft right now, correct?  It's all about time out of HS, not time played, correct?

10 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

A student in this situation is eligible for the draft right now, correct?  It's all about time out of HS, not time played, correct?

Yes. 3 years removed from their high school graduating class. 

otherwise a guy like Joe horn could never have played nfl football. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jeevsie said:

Whatever in the fuck are you talking about?

If he had been playing at a top college, had a great redshirt freshman year, and then didn't basically miss his redshirt sophomore year, then YES, he could enter the draft. But he redshirted at New Mexico Fucking State. Other than Alabama, I don't know if they played anyone worth mentioning. Then his sophomore year was going to be two games (according to the interwebs) and he said "Fuck this, I'm out!" This is not a resume for entering the NFL draft.

Instead, this guy, who may have NFL potential... or not... I going to come to Austin with a mature physique, but will still have 1 to 3 more years to improve under better coaches, trainers, and nutritionists. He will also have an opportunity to put many games on tape for NFL scouts. He will not arrive as an 18 year-old kid who will need time adjusting to college classes, college life, and what hitting at the college level will be like.

I posted the obvious, for clarity.

15 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If he had been playing at a top college, had a great redshirt freshman year, and then didn't basically miss his redshirt sophomore year, then YES, he could enter the draft. But he redshirted at New Mexico Fucking State. Other than Alabama, I don't know if they played anyone worth mentioning. Then his sophomore year was going to be two games (according to the interwebs) and he said "Fuck this, I'm out!" This is not a resume for entering the NFL draft.

Instead, this guy, who may have NFL potential... or not... I going to come to Austin with a mature physique, but will still have 1 to 3 more years to improve under better coaches, trainers, and nutritionists. He will also have an opportunity to put many games on tape for NFL scouts. He will not arrive as an 18 year-old kid who will need time adjusting to college classes, college life, and what hitting at the college level will be like.

He was curious, not mentally challenged. It's a hypothetical.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Calmer than you are.

• Haha 3

Bolded for clarity.

(Mike Roach) Transfer linebacker Devin Richardson describes 'no-brainer' decision to choose Texas

Spoiler

Texas secured linebacker depth in the form of Devin Richardson yesterday.

The former Klein High School prospect originally signed with New Mexico State in 2018, but he entered the transfer portal this spring. Texas reached out to offer Richardson a spot on the team, and Richardson said it was a dream come true.

“Being that it’s my dream school since I could remember and the opportunity at stake, it was a no-brainer for me and my family,” he said. “I can’t wait to get after it with my new family.”

When the Longhorns reached out, Richardson said he could hardly believe it. He attributes the ability to chase this dream to his faith and hard work.

“It was one of the best moments in my life,” Richardson said. “It was so unreal in the moment. I can’t even explain it. This is a great example for me and my family of God’s plan and just trusting in him.”

Jeff Choate and Assistant Director of Player Personnel Cole Moore did the heavy lifting in this recruitment. Richardson said that both did a phenomenal job in their communications.

“Coach Choate reached out along with Cole Moore,” he said. “They are great people who are transparent, hardworking and passionate about what they do. I can’t wait to be under their coaching to push me not only as a player but as a man.”

Richardson was able to visualize himself over the weekend during the Texas spring game. He and his family attended and he felt it was the right place as soon as he arrived.

“I went with my parents and had a blast,” he said. “It felt like home as soon as I stepped on campus. The atmosphere of the stadium was unreal. The only thought that was going through my head was that I can’t wait to get out there.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

On 4/26/2021 at 9:36 AM, Napoleon said:

lol jesus what a self own

What is the point of that? I just saw it for the first time earlier today with the fighter Jon Jones.

The risk/reward seems a little out of wack. Why not just go run sprints like a normal human being? If you are on a championship level/income it would seem pretty embarrassing having to explain that avoidable injury/accident.

11 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

What is the point of that? I just saw it for the first time earlier today with the fighter Jon Jones.

The risk/reward seems a little out of wack. Why not just go run sprints like a normal human being? If you are on a championship level/income it would seem pretty embarrassing having to explain that avoidable injury/accident.

It’s neurological and a little physical. He probably can’t get to that speed from a regular start, or he is winded by the time he does. This way he can “feel” the speed in his body/mind. 

56 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

^^ I don’t know either, but I would guess it has some benefit for getting to your high end speed faster. Basically training to go from 0-60 in less time 

Yeah perhaps. We used to sprint down the hill at Clark Field by Waller Creek. I think it was Spanky Stephens's strategy to force your feet to move more quickly so as to develop better speed. I have no idea whether there's scientific proof of this, but it seemed rational. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

Yeah perhaps. We used to sprint down the hill at Clark Field by Waller Creek. I think it was Spanky Stephens's strategy to force your feet to move more quickly so as to develop better speed. I have no idea whether there's scientific proof of this, but it seemed rational. 

It’s basically a modern version of that. Also a modern version of the whole bungee running where you had a partner and the person in the back would be pulled 

On 4/30/2021 at 8:05 PM, JohnnyRage said:

Its the emphasis on the first few steps. You’re being forced to create a more sudden burst of power that building up to a sprint doesn’t provide. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

It's a speed training technique that has been around a few years. The guys above have explained it well enough, but I just want to point out that it is rare for track sprinters to do it. Interpret that however you want.

It’s not beneficial for track guys though. Most of their speed gain is like the 40-80m marks.

This is for short burst training that has benefits in football. 

reminds me of the rope drills we did in hgihschool and early years of college circa 1996-1998 timeframe with the rope through a few pullies anchored down, one guy sprinting with all his might going no where and the guy on the other end being pulled along at a slightly higher pace than he would normally.  Mostly neurological, but did allow the body to perform at a speed not normal.  also if you didnt pay attention and the guy being pulled fell, you drug his ass in the dirt lol

20 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

reminds me of the rope drills we did in hgihschool and early years of college circa 1996-1998 timeframe with the rope through a few pullies anchored down, one guy sprinting with all his might going no where and the guy on the other end being pulled along at a slightly higher pace than he would normally.  Mostly neurological, but did allow the body to perform at a speed not normal.  also if you didnt pay attention and the guy being pulled fell, you drug his ass in the dirt lol

The worst part is when the latch would come undone and pop you in the legs/ass/cock n balls/area

• Haha 1