Oscars

Red Five

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It’s unwatchable without her IMO

Yep. I can’t find the video clip where she is an obsessed UT football fan. She’s just purely badass. That movie had a sad ending but she was this obsessed Longhorn football fan. 

Edited by Nicole44

I love the Oscars and genuinely liked most of the nominees this year (although Nomadland didn’t do it for me) but holy shit that was the worst ceremony ever. The little anecdotes about each nominee were brutal. Just show fucking clips. Especially in a year where fewer people had seen these movies/performances than usual. I don’t care what movie the costume designer for Emma saw when she was 6, just show me a 5-10 second super cut of the costumes while you read her name.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you haven't seen THE FATHER and are (understandably) yawning at "man slips into dementia and the family is sad about it", I totally TOTALLY get it. But the film is so so so much more than that. Without saying too much and getting into spoiler territory, it plays more like a thriller than the stodgy British drama it resembles. It knocked the socks off myself and three other friends, and I now count it as one of this year's very best. Now y'all go watch it.

Also, I guess I'll play contrarian. I liked this format. No hacky bits, no playing winners off the stage, no never-ending parade of montages. It wasn't too self serious, in that there were tables and folks got to sit and hang out. Also, as a transit nerd, seeing Union Station all shined up definitely fucked.

Should there have been more clips? Yes. Will the "presenters talk to the nominees" bit ever work? No, never. But the usual self importance felt erased somehow.

Also, we're just not going to acknowledge that KD exec produced the short film winner? (He doesn't technically win an Oscar, but come on, it's still badass.)

Edited by Queen Bitch

1 minute ago, Queen Bitch said:

Also, I guess I'll play contrarian. I liked this format. No hacky bits, no playing winners off the stage, no never-ending parade of montages. It wasn't too self serious, in that there were tables and folks got to sit and hang out. Also, as a transit nerd, seeing Union Station all shined up definitely fucked.

Should there have been more clips? Yes. Will the "presenters talk to the nominees" bit ever work? No, never. Should they let the producers know in secret who wins the actual awards. Uh, yeah. But the usual self importance felt erased somehow.

Also, we're just not going to acknowledge that KD exec produced the short film winner? (He doesn't technically win an Oscar, but come on, it's still badass.)

[I blame bourbon for whatever happened in me attempting to edit and somehow duping myself?]

Edited by Queen Bitch
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

How did any of you least more than about 10 minutes through that thing?

Un. Watchable.

Recorded it while watching Padres and Dodgers and FF'ed through most of it in about 30 minutes.

When we were watching Nomadland a couple of months ago, as soon as the credits rolled, I said, "That will win Best Picture, but I'll never watch it again."

Looking back at the Best Picture winners, that's a pretty consistent theme.  There so very few of them in my lifetime that I've seen more than once -- I think Annie Hall is the only one I've seen more than twice.  So I think they need to give a second award out of the BP nominees -- something like "Most Likeable," representing the movie that people are going to enjoy the longest -- Toy Story 3, Inglorious Basterds, Little Miss Sunshine, Sixth Sense, Shawshank, Good Will Hunting, Field of Dreams, etc.

Edited by Beau Vine

8 hours ago, DanRydell said:

I love the Oscars and genuinely liked most of the nominees this year (although Nomadland didn’t do it for me) but holy shit that was the worst ceremony ever. The little anecdotes about each nominee were brutal. Just show fucking clips. Especially in a year where fewer people had seen these movies/performances than usual. I don’t care what movie the costume designer for Emma saw when she was 6, just show me a 5-10 second super cut of the costumes while you read her name.

I fall in this camp. I liked all of the nominees except for Sorkin’s trash bin, but that production was just really, really boring and uncomfortable. Why do I need to see Laura Dern tell Daniel Kaluuya he’s a good actor?! Just show me a clip of Daniel Kaluuya acting! 

I have no problem with Hopkins winning. The Father is incredible. But ending the show with a still image of Hopkins and Phoenix awkwardly walking off stage was rough.

I never watch the Oscars or any awards shows. Huge waste of time, imo. But I heard this morning that Jon Batiste won one. That’s awesome. He’s great and I’m looking forward to him and Stay Human getting back to performing together on Colbert’s show when things get back to normal. Best band on the late night talk shows. Definitely have to catch Colbert tonight.

He was on the HBO original series Treme, David Simon’s follow up to The Wire. Wendell Pierce, who played Bunk Moreland on The Wire, played Antoine Batiste on Treme and was described as a member of one of the first families of New Orleans jazz on the show but they never explained any relationship beyond that. 

I thought this was an interesting piece which could confirm the Oscars last night was the death knell, but really nobody knows what the pandemic has done longterm to audiences and film, and obviously 2020 was a bad year for movies and Nomadland was not that good, but we've had down years before:

They say that fifty per cent of the restaurants in New York won’t reopen. Well, I think that’s certainly true also of the movie theatres. And so we are rethinking that whole concept, and it’s a rethinking going across the board, because it’s also happening to the Oscars. What do the Oscars mean anymore? Does anybody care anymore? Will the festivals have the strength that they used to have? And this idea of the two-hour serious movie, which evolved in many ways as a reaction to television, where the film companies all had agents in New York looking for the new serious book—“ ‘From Here to Eternity,’ we’re going to do that.” And that’s gone now. Nobody’s looking for the new serious book. And to make a movie today, a quality movie, let’s say a movie like “Hud” or “The Hustler,” that movie’s just not being made.

1 hour ago, Nole-4-Life said:

60 consecutive years I've missed this....

Yeah, this is one of those things that people love talking about how they don't watch it. Kind of like soccer (I hate soccer). 

Having said that... I bailed after about 10 minutes. First time I can remember not watching the whole thing. 

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, this is one of those things that people love talking about how they don't watch it. Kind of like soccer (I hate soccer). 

Having said that... I bailed after about 10 minutes. First time I can remember not watching the whole thing. 

Last night, I watched a recorded soccer game which I knew the outcome - instead of the Oscars.

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Last night, I watched a recorded soccer game which I knew the outcome - instead of the Oscars.

I actually paid someone to punch me in the nuts repeatedly while listening to that soccer game on the radio while getting a root canal - instead of watching the Oscars.

12 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

No

Actually I think Yes, I think that was the intention. And it didn't happen like they planned. Kind of a let down. Personally I think the Oscars have gone down for years. I missed all the comedy, it was too serious, and most of the people acted like they were bored and didn't want to be there. It definitely didn't feel like a big night celebration. But I get it. Hopefully next year all of these award shows will be back to some form of normal. Plus, I can't wait to go back to a movie theater. I really miss it. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

From last week. I desperately want to believe this is fake but I’m really afraid it’s not. I just don’t know. Please be fake.

Of course the Glenn Close bit was scripted.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-04-25/oscars-2021-glenn-close-da-butt-dance

It seems only fitting that the star of “Hillbilly Elegy” — the butt of the 2021 awards cycle — would perform “Da Butt” dance during the Oscars telecast.

While playing a game of “name that song” during an unexpected break in Sunday night’s proceedings, actor Lil Rel Howery turned the spotlight on screen icon Glenn Close, who floored the crowd — and the internet — with her bootylicious dance moves.

The Los Angeles Times has confirmed that Close’s twerk-tastic performance was part of a scripted bit designed for laughs. It worked, as evidenced by Twitter users who promptly lost their minds.

“I did not have Glenn close doing da butt on my Oscar bingo card but here we are,” tweeted author Roxane Gay.

“Glenn Close just won her first Oscar for Best Live Action Short Film,” joked Entertainment Weekly reporter Joey Nolfi.

The lighthearted segment played out as follows: Howery gave a handful of nominees a chance to identify a random tune from a film soundtrack — selected by Oscars DJ Questlove — and guess whether it scored an Oscar nomination or win the year it was released.

During her turn in the hot seat, Close stunned the room by correctly identifying Experience Unlimited’s “Da Butt” from director Spike Lee’s 1988 film “School Daze,” which did not receive a nomination. But that was nothing compared to what came next: When asked by Howery if she knew “Da Butt” dance, Close didn’t miss a beat before rising from her seat and shaking her booty on live television.

Before Close, “The United States vs. Billie Holiday” actress Andra Day correctly determined that Prince’s song “Purple Rain” did not receive an Oscar nomination when the film of the same name debuted in 1984. (The Prince question also sparked Twitter controversy, as “Purple Rain” the movie won the now-defunct Oscar category of “original song score,” which required a film have five original songs. Some contended that meant “Purple Rain” the song did indeed win.)

If You Have More Than $1,000 in the Bank, Make These 4 Moves ASAP

If You Have More Than $1,000 in the Bank, Make These 4 Moves ASAP

If you've got a $1,000 in the bank, you should make these four moves quickly.

After some witty banter about their Oscar-winning 2017 film, “Get Out,” Howery also challenged “Judas and the Black Messiah” actor Daniel Kaluuya, who mistakenly guessed that Donna Summer’s “Last Dance” from the 1978 film “Thank God It’s Friday” was not nominated. (It won.)

Ahead of this year’s ceremony, Close landed a surprise supporting actress nomination for her turn as Mamaw in Netflix’s critically panned drama “Hillbilly Elegy.” (She also scored a Razzie nomination for the same performance.) Close left empty-handed Sunday night, tying a record for most nominated actor without a win.

See more reactions to her booty-popping display below.

Times staff writer Amy Kaufman contributed to this story.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Recorded it while watching Padres and Dodgers and FF'ed through most of it in about 30 minutes.

When we were watching Nomadland a couple of months ago, as soon as the credits rolled, I said, "That will win Best Picture, but I'll never watch it again."

Looking back at the Best Picture winners, that's a pretty consistent theme.  There so very few of them in my lifetime that I've seen more than once -- I think Annie Hall is the only one I've seen more than twice.  So I think they need to give a second award out of the BP nominees -- something like "Most Likeable," representing the movie that people are going to enjoy the longest -- Toy Story 3, Inglorious Basterds, Little Miss Sunshine, Sixth Sense, Shawshank, Good Will Hunting, Field of Dreams, etc.

You've only ever seen the Godfather once? You must be pretty cool

27 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You've only ever seen the Godfather once? You must be pretty cool

godfather, godfather 2, casablanca, annie hall, rain man, silence of the lambs, unforgiven, braveheart, forrest gump, shakespeare in love, gladiator, the departed, no country for old men, and of course, the sting.

there are best picture winners that i watch and know i will never watch again, and nomadland is one of these, but it's an odd blanket statement to make, and i doubt it's even accurate.  someone recently asked me if nomadland was slow and boring.  i said no, it's just depressing.  it was like a documentary (for obvious reasons).  it was interesting, but now i've seen it, and i won't watch it again, like most interesting docs.

last night was still a covid award show.  there were very very few stars there that weren't directly involved with a nominated movie.  and again, there was no host.  there was no real red carpet (because of those listed reasons).  the oscars needs these things to be compelling or interesting, but they're never as fun as the golden globes.

the next 2 years will be crammed with good movies, and i expect the next two academy award shows to be better.  and there will still be people bragging the following morning about how boring and terrible it was and how they didn't watch any of it.

I thought Nomadland was boring as shit.  I knew it was going to win, but I was rooting for an upset.  Frances McDormand is a great actress, but she always plays an unattractive middle-aged woman.  Hmmm....

I was hoping Carey Mulligan would win Best Actress instead.  I thought she was fantastic in A Promising Young Woman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

You couldn’t tell?

I was only half paying attention at that point and saw social media blow up about how amazing that sequence was. Merely posting the story after hearing the Musers discuss it this AM.

24 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I thought Nomadland was boring as shit.  I knew it was going to win, but I was rooting for an upset.  Frances McDormand is a great actress, but she always plays an unattractive middle-aged woman.  Hmmm....

I was hoping Carey Mulligan would win Best Actress instead.  I thought she was fantastic in A Promising Young Woman.

This. The "please recite for me that famous shakespeare line that I taught you before I was homeless and gross" next to the treadmills at Academy, to project that she wasn't always a disgusting alky poor weirdo with an ego too big to take help, was the dog whistle that let me know this was Oscar bait crap. But romanticizing people who want to live in vans is not even cool, surreal weird, but depressing weird like people have said.

Also, maybe Fran is no longer acting and really is just an unattractive middle-aged woman and wants to kinda, coast.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

25 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Frances McDormand is a great actress, but she always plays an unattractive middle-aged woman. 

Did you ever see Mississippi Burning? She was cute in that. She was okay in Raising Arizona. Maybe because she wasn’t middle-aged yet. Funny how that works. 

I wish you knew how much this pains me, but I agree with Junior Miller on the Oscars. They need to cut about 30% of the lower tier awards like "Best Foreign Animated" and the like to the lower tier awards presentations. People tune in for the Top 5-10 awards and give zero fucks about the rest.  

46 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I was only half paying attention at that point and saw social media blow up about how amazing that sequence was. Merely posting the story after hearing the Musers discuss it this AM.

Obviously fake and pretty cringy I thought.

I didn't watch and it sounds like a wise decision. I heard they really f'd up In Memoriam.

That’s the only part of the Oscars I ever watch and it was fucked up. My wife watches it so she always lets me know when it is about to come on. I couldn’t believe how badly they fucked it up. It went by so fast you didn’t have time to even reflect upon the person on the screen. We had to rewind it a couple of times.

were all the movies just depressing as hell last year?? seems like it...i didn't see a single one, in any category. that's a first for me. guess 2020 was hard enough as it was lol

i can't believe Glenn Close has never won an Oscar. 

Edited by mchookem

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

the next 2 years will be crammed with good movies, and i expect the next two academy award shows to be better.  and there will still be people bragging the following morning about how boring and terrible it was and how they didn't watch any of it.

like clockwork

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I wish you knew how much this pains me, but I agree with Junior Miller on the Oscars. They need to cut about 30% of the lower tier awards like "Best Foreign Animated" and the like to the lower tier awards presentations. People tune in for the Top 5-10 awards and give zero fucks about the rest.  

i agree to a point, or at least i understand this argument.

but the oscars are the oscars because of the technical awards, the docs, the shorts, the costumes, the sound editing, etc.  if every award was interesting and featured celebrities, it would be the golden globes. 

what they need to do is get back to the 45 second speeches, regardless of who wins.  if there are 2-3 of you, fine.  one person gets to talk.  you can tell a story or you can thank people.  you cannot do both.  if you wanna go political, fine, that counts as a story.

(i get it, they've been trying to be more inclusive with the nominees, and you can't do that and then turn around and give the winner 25 seconds to reflect on the biggest moment of their life, but there has to be a limit). 

there are ways to fix it, but in the end, it's still a 3 hour award show* that features maybe 8-10 awards people give a shit about (or at least can relate to because of films they've actually seen).  there are ways to keep everything in there, keep it 3 hours, and keep it interesting. 

first step, get a host.   

*with a dvr in every living room, it's easily a 45 minute show if you don't care about the less popular awards, the musical numbers, etc.

Edited by henrygandorf
edits are cool
  • Hook 'Em 2