Oscars

Red Five

13 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

Viewership of "the Oscars" down almost 60 percent. That's a good sign. Even Americans are realizing how shitty and moronic Hollywood has become.

maybe. or, hear me out...maybe very few movies were released last year and maybe even fewer people actually went to see them. 🤨

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Maybe start nominating films we all want to watch or see? Stop pushing the thought provoking narrative? It’s so heavy handed. You can’t make us want to watch shit. The ratings keep dropping for a myriad of reasons. Covid, not withstanding. If every movie is going to be an after school special we have other things to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

but the oscars are the oscars because of the technical awards, the docs, the shorts, the costumes, the sound editing, etc.  if every award was interesting and featured celebrities, it would be the golden globes. 

I gotta admit, I was kind of blown away by the sound on Mank, and I was hoping it would get some kind of sound award, but I actually didn't watch the show so I am not sure, but I think it did not and Sound of Metal did.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Maybe start nominating films we all want to watch or see? Stop pushing the thought provoking narrative? It’s so heavy handed. You can’t make us want to watch shit. The ratings keep dropping for a myriad of reasons. Covid, not withstanding. If every movie is going to be an after school special we have other things to watch. 

Last year the movies were great. I loved Parasite. I've watched Jojo close to 10 times. 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Joker were really fucking good.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Like what films exactly? Five of the Best Picture nominees were in the 12 most popular movies of 2020/21 on Letterboxd and they were 6 of the 9 most popular on IMDB. You want them to nominate Birds of Prey? Bad Boys for Life? Wonder Woman 1984?

Edited by DanRydell
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Like what films exactly? Five of the Best Picture nominees were in the 12 most popular movies of 2020/21 on Letterboxd and they were 6 of the 9 most popular on IMDB. You want them to nominate Birds of Prey? Bad Boys for Life? Wonder Woman 1984?

people just like to complain

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Like what films exactly? Five of the Best Picture nominees were in the 12 most popular movies of 2020/21 on Letterboxd. You want them to nominate Birds of Prey? Bad Boys for Life? Wonder Woman 1984?

I mean it definitely feels like weirder and weirder movies are being nominated, and winning.  I have not watched a full Oscars in forever, so I am not the target demo but last year was the first year in my adult life I had not watched even one of the best picture nominees.  I'm not sure I had even heard of half of them.  I looked back and Birdman was the last best picture winner I have seen.  Do you really think a movie like Gladiator or Return of the King is ever going to win again?  It sure does not seem like it to me.

5 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I mean it definitely feels like weirder and weirder movies are being nominated, and winning.  I have not watched a full Oscars in forever, so I am not the target demo but last year was the first year in my adult life I had not watched even one of the best picture nominees.  I'm not sure I had even heard of half of them.  I looked back and Birdman was the last best picture winner I have seen.  Do you really think a movie like Gladiator or Return of the King is ever going to win again?  It sure does not seem like it to me.

You should watch Parasite also its just 2 years ago that Green Book won

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I suppose that depends on what a movie like Gladiator or Return of the King means. Last year's nominees were some of the most mainstream movies of the year that weren't MCU, Star Wars, or animation.

• Hook 'Em 2

While it was certainly challenging to stage the show safely, last month's Grammys proved that it is possible to make something entertaining and engaging amid the pandemic. Unfortunately, the Oscars producers seemingly missed that show. The Oscars were a train wreck at the train station, an excruciatingly long, boring telecast that lacked the verve of so many movies we love. Produced by "Ocean's Eleven" director Steven Soderbergh, the show was a dull talkfest that looked more like awards for a regional insurance group than "Hollywood's biggest night." 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7292897002

7 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Last year the movies were great. I loved Parasite. I've watched Jojo close to 10 times. 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Joker were really fucking good.

That line up just looks better with age, probably due to a Covid dearth of good movies, but man, I saw all those movies in the theatre and they were all defensible for winning best movie and they all are 10x the movie Nomadland is. Chalk it up to the times/Covid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

From a comment section elsewhere...

Louis B Mayer created The Academy Awards to control the actors. It’s the carrot+stick trick…he knew it was a joke. It wasn’t real, even back then!
“I found that the best way to handle them was to hang medals all over them,” said Mayer, according to Scott Eyman’s biography, “Lion of Hollywood.”

“If I got them cups and awards they’d kill themselves to produce what I wanted,” Mayer added. “That’s why the Academy Award was created.” even then.

Edited by Armybrat

27 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

From a comment section elsewhere...

Louis B Mayer created The Academy Awards to control the actors. It’s the carrot+stick trick…he knew it was a joke. It wasn’t real, even back then!
“I found that the best way to handle them was to hang medals all over them,” said Mayer, according to Scott Eyman’s biography, “Lion of Hollywood.”

“If I got them cups and awards they’d kill themselves to produce what I wanted,” Mayer added. “That’s why the Academy Award was created.” even then.

That certainly fits with the way Mayer was portrayed in Mank.  My favorite quote from that movie was Mankiewicz talking about Mayer and he said, "If I ever go to the electric chair, I'd like for him to be sitting on my lap."

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Even better. Start actually making films that an reasonably adjusted normal adult would want to watch or see.

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

The same rant could be said to sports figures as well. Especially the part about wanting entertainment (or sports) to escape the drudgery of our daily lives, especially over the last year. We don’t need constant politics/rhetoric/condescension thrust upon us when all we want to do is get lost in a movie or game and not think about how shitty the world is for a few hours.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Even better. Start actually making films that an reasonably adjusted normal adult would want to watch or see.

Exactly. 

Brooks Barnes, a Hollywood reporter for The New York Times, put it this way: “The Oscars forgot about its primary job — to sell Hollywood to the world, to be a big, fat commercial for the dream factory, the kind that makes financiers open their wallets and wannabe actresses get pinwheels in their eyes about the day they might be able to stand on that stage and give their acceptance speech.”

———————-

But you still need rapt audiences. What Hollywood is forgetting, to its own peril, is that it’s show business, and it needs to find a way to marry its past storytelling chops with the exciting new forces of its future.

Bill Maher made the point on his show that we could use more escapism in this year of plague and tumult.
“I don’t have to leave the theater whistling, but would it kill you once in a while to make a movie that doesn’t make me want to take a bath with the toaster?” he said, adding: “Academy nominations used to say, ‘Look what great movies we make.’ Now they say, ‘Look what good people we are.’ It’s not about entertainment, it’s about suffering, specifically yours.”
—————————

Later in the decade (1970’s) there was a backlash from younger directors like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg who were less interested in critiquing the culture than in entertaining the public; they wanted audiences to cheer at heroes and hiss at villains — or sharks.

“Their goal was to thrill and exhilarate, not tear down the myths that Hollywood had created,” Brownstein said.

Lucas said in a speech at the time he made “American Graffiti” that he did it because “I decided it was time to make a movie where people felt better coming out of the theater than when they went in. It had become depressing to go to the movies.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougO said:

I've seen 6 of the 8 Best Picture noms, and I want to watch the other two, but I'm too cheap to pay $20 each for them on Prime right now.  I guess you could argue that's I'm not reasonably adjusted, though.

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

The same rant could be said to sports figures as well. Especially the part about wanting entertainment (or sports) to escape the drudgery of our daily lives, especially over the last year. We don’t need constant politics/rhetoric/condescension thrust upon us when all we want to do is get lost in a movie or game and not think about how shitty the world is for a few hours.

For fuck's sake, we are well into Old-Man-Yelling-at-Clouds stage, aren't we?

Exactly which of the 8 BP noms were so overflowing with "constant politics/rhetoric/condescension" that they succeeded in trapping you further into your drudgery?

And Nicole using Bill Maher as a voice of reason...girl, I'm disappointed in you.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I've seen 6 of the 8 Best Picture noms, and I want to watch the other two, but I'm too cheap to pay $20 each for them on Prime right now.  I guess you could argue that's I'm not reasonably adjusted, though.

For fuck's sake, we are well into Old-Man-Yelling-at-Clouds stage, aren't we?

Exactly which of the 8 BP noms were so overflowing with "constant politics/rhetoric/condescension" that they succeeded in trapping you further into your drudgery?

And Nicole using Bill Maher as a voice of reason...girl, I'm disappointed in you.

😃 

In all seriousness though, Nomadland, was like Fran having explosive diarrhea in a plastic bucket. This is not going to make me reach for the popcorn. I think Fran is awesome and she was the movie so her winning makes sense. But I think if we can have films like that we can also have films people enjoy watching nominated also. 😃😁

Exactly. 

Brooks Barnes, a Hollywood reporter for The New York Times, put it this way: “The Oscars forgot about its primary job — to sell Hollywood to the world, to be a big, fat commercial for the dream factory, the kind that makes financiers open their wallets and wannabe actresses get pinwheels in their eyes about the day they might be able to stand on that stage and give their acceptance speech.”

———————-

But you still need rapt audiences. What Hollywood is forgetting, to its own peril, is that it’s show business, and it needs to find a way to marry its past storytelling chops with the exciting new forces of its future.

Bill Maher made the point on his show that we could use more escapism in this year of plague and tumult.
“I don’t have to leave the theater whistling, but would it kill you once in a while to make a movie that doesn’t make me want to take a bath with the toaster?” he said, adding: “Academy nominations used to say, ‘Look what great movies we make.’ Now they say, ‘Look what good people we are.’ It’s not about entertainment, it’s about suffering, specifically yours.”
—————————

Later in the decade (1970’s) there was a backlash from younger directors like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg who were less interested in critiquing the culture than in entertaining the public; they wanted audiences to cheer at heroes and hiss at villains — or sharks.

“Their goal was to thrill and exhilarate, not tear down the myths that Hollywood had created,” Brownstein said.

Lucas said in a speech at the time he made “American Graffiti” that he did it because “I decided it was time to make a movie where people felt better coming out of the theater than when they went in. It had become depressing to go to the movies.”

Hollywood still makes those movies.  Just look at the success of the MCU.  The problem this year in particular was that any of those movies that were ready to go got shelved until late '21 or '22. And the issue is that those movies are almost universally sneered at by The Academy.  If they get any recognition from The Academy, it will undoubtedly include an angle of serious virtue-signaling.  Just look at the Best Picture nomination for The Black Panther.  It was a good film, but not even close to the best of the MCU.  But that is the ONE of the bunch that received a nod because The Academy wanted to send a message.

The problem of the Hollywood elites not being able to resist their soapbox moments during the awards ceremony walks hand-in-hand with a nomination process that is hellbent on recognizing and magnifying films that speak to the same progressive worldview rather than simply looking for the top quality in entertainment.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Hollywood still makes those movies.  Just look at the success of the MCU.  The problem this year in particular was that any of those movies that were ready to go got shelved until late '21 or '22. And the issue is that those movies are almost universally sneered at by The Academy.  If they get any recognition from The Academy, it will undoubtedly include an angle of serious virtue-signaling.  Just look at the Best Picture nomination for The Black Panther.  It was a good film, but not even close to the best of the MCU.  But that is the ONE of the bunch that received a nod because The Academy wanted to send a message.

Black Panther made AFI's top 10 list, was nominated for BP by the GG and People's Choice and by a whole host of regional organizations, and won the MTV Movie of the Year Award, so this message-signaling conspiracy runs verrrrry deep!

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The problem of the Hollywood elites not being able to resist their soapbox moments during the awards ceremony walks hand-in-hand with a nomination process that is hellbent on recognizing and magnifying films that speak to the same progressive worldview rather than simply looking for the top quality in entertainment.

And here are the Rotten Tomato *AUDIENCE SCORES* for the best picture noms: 91%, 95%, 59% (Mank, which was clearly the biggest Hollywood blowjob of the bunch), 89%, 82%, 88%, 91%, 91%.  

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Black Panther made AFI's top 10 list, was nominated for GG and People's Choice BP, and by a whole host of regional organizations, and won the MTV Movie of the Year Award, so this message-signaling conspiracy runs verrrrry deep!

Conspiracy is your word, not mine.  Don't try to assign that thought to me. 

25 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Hollywood still makes those movies.  Just look at the success of the MCU. 

I actually think the MCU might be partially to blame. It seems like all the money and resources go into making superhero movies, and the non superhero movies have gotten smaller.

I love the MCU, but I love movies like The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, and Silence of the Lambs much more.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Conspiracy is your word, not mine.  Don't try to assign that thought to me. 

You're the one who suggested that, to send a message, the Academy secretly conspired to nominate a particular movie at the expense of others.

I can't help it if you hate Merriam-Webster.

image.png

59 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You're the one who suggested that, to send a message, the Academy secretly conspired to nominate a particular movie at the expense of others.

I can't help it if you hate Merriam-Webster.

image.png

Nothing was particularly secret about it.  The MCU movies should be shunned by the academy.  They're fine for what they are but they're not great moviemaking.

I enjoyed Mank and Trial of the Chicago 7 this year.  I haven't seen any of the other best picture noms yet but I would agree that none of them sound particularly feel good or uplifting.

Exactly. 

———————-

—————————

You didn’t answer the first time I asked so let’s try this again. What crowd pleaser movies exactly do you think should have been nominated instead?
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, DanRydell said:

You didn’t answer the first time I asked so let’s try this again. What crowd pleaser movies exactly do you think should have been nominated instead?

I get many of the “blockbuster” type films have been pushed back for hopeful movie theater release (not that many of those outside of editing/special effects nominations would have won much.) 

I was not as impressed with the movies that were nominated as some are/claim to be. This was a rough year and I do acknowledge that. It doesn’t have to be a massive film for me to like it. I just didn’t care for many of the films nominated this year. MOO. There wasn’t one released I would have called a slam dunk. I was talking about the Oscars as a whole. It was a train wreck IMO. 
im not the only one who saw it and thought it sucked and was talking to that. It sucked. Too much talking and not enough clips. The Oscars really did nothing to make the masses want to see the movies nominated and that’s what they are supposed to do. Make you want to watch those films.

List of films that came out that qualified (seen a few more of them than most people): https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/the-best-movies-of-2020/

which ones? You keep asking me. I don’t know. I didn’t care for many of the ones I saw. That’s just me. I don’t have a good answer for you. Just that the Oscars sucked. And many people within the industry that cover it thought so as well. 

i agree that it was a down year for movies, for a variety of reasons.

i agree that it was a down year for "oscar-type" movies, for some of those same reasons.

i agree that the oscar broadcast sucked this year, most are not disputing that.

but this overall attitude that "the oscars sucked and the oscars are the window through which we view the current state of the film business, therefore, the film business sucks right now because their products are terrible and political and prioritize woke casting and sending a message over making good movies" is bullshit wishcasting by those who, for whatever reason, want the business to fail or want others simply to agree with them.

over the past decade or so, as movies and the marketing of movies got more and more expensive, we saw a rise in built-in-audience movies (comics, sequels, remakes) and a fall in original/independent type movies (original screenplays, your favorite director or actor's new movie, whatever).  that was happening before covid, and before streamers got more involved in actual "movies".  there was also a talent suck from tv's great expansion that started in 2010 or so.

over the past few years and for years to come, there will be more good movies because there will be more ways to show them (netflix, amazon, whatever).  if covid had not happened, you would've seen 2020 be a better year for movies than 2015 or so, when people were saying the exact same shit about the state of the business.

2021-2022 will be great years for movies and television.

also i don't follow "the drinker" or whomever was narrating that youtube video, but how can anyone listen to that guy for 7 minutes holy shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I get many of the “blockbuster” type films have been pushed back for hopeful movie theater release (not that many of those outside of editing/special effects nominations would have won much.) 
I was not as impressed with the movies that were nominated as some are/claim to be. This was a rough year and I do acknowledge that. It doesn’t have to be a massive film for me to like it. I just didn’t care for many of the films nominated this year. MOO. There wasn’t one released I would have called a slam dunk. I was talking about the Oscars as a whole. It was a train wreck IMO. 
im not the only one who saw it and thought it sucked and was talking to that. It sucked. Too much talking and not enough clips. The Oscars really did nothing to make the masses want to see the movies nominated and that’s what they are supposed to do. Make you want to watch those films.
List of films that came out that qualified (seen a few more of them than most people): https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/the-best-movies-of-2020/
which ones? You keep asking me. I don’t know. I didn’t care for many of the ones I saw. That’s just me. I don’t have a good answer for you. Just that the Oscars sucked. And many people within the industry that cover it thought so as well. 

You don’t have to convince me the ceremony sucked. I already said it was the worst telecast of my lifetime (and I saw all the nominees and liked most of them!). But you keep saying it sucked because they didn’t nominate movies most people actually liked/want to see and I’m just trying to figure out what movies you (and others) think those were this year. You also seem to think that it’s a recurring problem, even though last year’s nominees were about as mainstream as non Disney movies get these days.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The crowd pleaser movies were pushed back for a theatrical release. I defer to Maher...make more movies that don’t make me want to take a bath with a toaster. I guess. This was a rough year and they did the best they could with the nominations. None of the movies Would I care to see again. Splitting hairs! I don’t have a good answer for you. So you will have to accept that I didn’t like the bulk of the films that were eligible or that were released. I like all kinds of movies and documentaries. I don’t care if they are political or not. But I don’t think a movie must be depressing or dystopian or preachy to be considered good. Series and shows have actually been amazing. Most movies...not so much. Jmo. And I don’t know how much more I can clarify that. 

The crowd pleaser movies were pushed back for a theatrical release. I defer to Maher...make more movies that don’t make me want to take a bath with a toaster. I guess. This was a rough year and they did the best they could with the nominations. None of the movies Would I care to see again. Splitting hairs! I don’t have a good answer for you. So you will have to accept that I didn’t like the bulk of the films that were eligible or that were released. I like all kinds of movies and documentaries. I don’t care if they are political or not. But I don’t think a movie must be depressing or dystopian or preachy to be considered good. Series and shows have actually been amazing. Most movies...not so much. Jmo. And I don’t know how much more I can clarify that. 

I certainly agree a movie need not be depressing or dystopian or preachy to be considered good. I just don't agree those are the only movies that Academy recognizes historically, recently or otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

Children of Men is an example of a depressing, dystopian movie but imo it was still exhilarating to watch. I can watch it over and over again and I still enjoy the movie.

To me the problem with these recent preachy movies is they feel like homework. It's an arduous slog to get the through them sometimes.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...