Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Sooo is it safe to say B Harris is full of shit with the SarkAfterDark AND Flipmas tweets?

Seems like he's just been on a Twitter hype campaign lately to try to drum up some momentum

the sark after dark and nothing happens is weird 

but I would expect something may go down today or else I don't think he would've said what he said

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Leonard was 350-365 and 6'5" if I'm not mistaken. He was the strongest dude on campus the day he stepped foot on it but still wasn't a big contributor until his Jr year. Wife's cousin went to school with him and they remain friends to this day. Great family by all accounts.

Yeah, he started off at DT. Not a ton of playing time behind Casey Hampton and Shaun Rogers.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Kinda where I'm at on all of this. And we acknowledged all offseason (and also tried to ignore) that we still don't have an offensive line, or linebackers, or wide receivers... then we come out and play like we don't have an offensive line, any linebackers, and lost two of the WRs we didn't have anyway. On top a young DL that doesn't have much depth and.... looking back this should have been at least considered.

Now obviously this doesn't mean I think Sark is the right guy, or that there shouldn't be staff changes etc... It's just that looking back, maybe I thought this roster was better than it actually is.

I'm sorry, man, but that has shitall to do with losing to Kansas. Kansas had like 50 players on their sidelines and very little talent. They have far greater talent and depth issues and they showed up and whipped UT's ass in UT's house. There is nothing to excuse that. Nothing.

Beyond that, Texas lost 3 other games this season with the lead well in hand. It wasn't a player issue. Sorry. 

I'm not saying talent and depth aren't problems. They clearly are. It doesn't wash away the sins of the idiocy from this staff in repeated situations. 

45 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

so, do we have a gofundme for the banner to fly over DKR that Harris isn't our standard, ready?

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think Harris may be getting a new boss this off season. 

Harris and a slew of the non-coaching part of the staff will be gone by Christmas. He's probably the first one in line for the guillotine. 

10 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Leonard was 350-365 and 6'5" if I'm not mistaken. He was the strongest dude on campus the day he stepped foot on it but still wasn't a big contributor until his Jr year. Wife's cousin went to school with him and they remain friends to this day. Great family by all accounts.

I was in Sex Ed with Davis and some other players one summer. He was a very nice dude and a mountain of a man. That group had some of the hottest females on campus as an entourage in that class. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

the sark after dark and nothing happens is weird 

but I would expect something may go down today or else I don't think he would've said what he said

seems to me Harris is trying to fake it till you make it, but still hasn't made it yet.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Charlie Strong told me, when he was the head coach at Texas, he wasn't fired yet,” Herbstreit said. “He just got there, was getting a lot of heat. He said, 'this is a tough job because on one hand, they want me to recruit a lot of these five-stars in this state, but I don't think they're great players. But there's such immense pressure to recruit this player out of this area or this player because they're five stars. And if you don't recruit those players, they're going to crush you because you didn't land that recruit. And if you do bring them in, you're deep down I don't know if this guy is a dog.' ... Sark knew this before he went. In fact, he and I had a conversation when his name was in there. I called him and I said, 'are you going to take this?' He said, 'yeah I think I'm gonna.' And I said, 'you know the deal there right.' He goes 'oh yeah, before I even commit, I'm going to talk to them about how I’m going to have to do this. It’s going to be really hard to do this the right way. And as long as you’re going to support me through this, we’re going to do this. It’s not going to be pretty.

“In order to change the culture there that has been struggling since 2010, even the last couple of years with Mack (Brown). Something got into this program that’s like a virus, and it’s permeated itself for over a decade now. So to get it done right, you can’t put a Band-Aid on this problem and a Band-Aid over there and expect it to be ‘look we’re 8-4, everything’s fine over here.’ Nope. It’s almost like a decayed tooth. You gotta really go to work on that thing.”

Recruiting and Roster Building by Rhule while at Baylor...

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-recruiting-testing-numbers-Tracking-Football-133192451/ 

ByCHRIS HUMMER Jun 25, 2019

Behold the analytics revolution: If you’re gonna miss, miss fast

“I kind of feel bad for some of those other schools with the pressure they have to take some of the kids they have to take sometimes because of their ranking, etcetera,” Cooper said. “This is just kind of who we are. This is a Matt Rhule deal.”

Excerpt -- End of Article...

“I kind of feel bad for some of those other schools with the pressure they have to take some of the kids they have to take sometimes because of their ranking, etcetera,” Cooper said. “This is just kind of who we are. This is a Matt Rhule deal.”

Walk into Cooper’s office and he’ll quickly explain, well, this isn’t really his office. Sure, there are pictures of his family on his desk. But he’s in a end-of-hallway space without much of an identifying marker. To underscore this point, another Baylor assistant walks in during the interview and says: “I thought this was (Mike) Wallace’s office.”

Outside of the pictures there is one dead giveaway Cooper belongs in this space. On a whiteboard to the right of his desk sits a prospect board with magnets representing Cooper’s corner targets across a few cycles. From a few feet away the markers look like bold-print names surrounded by little marks of black ink. It’s in that border space the Bears list every imaginable statistic, from hand size to high school GPA, an information hub for a program that prizes info above all others.

“If you buy a car, you want the Carfax,” Cooper said.

This is an information-based approach with shades of the Moneyball craze, of Oakland A’s and Brad Pitt fame, that transformed every aspect of baseball this century. Power, 247Sports’ national analyst, sees an approach like Baylor’s as a natural evolution in evaluation for non-traditional recruiting powers.

“If you’re not a true blueblood from a recruiting standpoint, it’s a smart, Moneyball way to go about recruiting,” Power said. “Big picture it’s smart to recruit like this.”

Baylor and Penn State hardly originated this idea. TCU, another Texas school that’s long punched above its recruiting weight, has found high-upside athletes from small towns and allowed them to marinate into contributors. Iowa, another NFL darling, is lauded for its ability to take big-framed Midwestern athletes and turn them into draft picks. Iowa’s averaged 3.7 NFL Draft picks a year since 2010 despite posting an average recruiting class of 44th nationally during that period.

Yet schools like Penn State and Baylor are starting to push this analytics-based philosophy to a new extreme. Camps like The Opening regionals and easily found internet track results have created a bevy of information sources. Enterprising programs are collecting that data and applying it appropriately.

Not that we’re on the cusp of an analytics scouting revolution in college football. Baseball is a sport defined by numbers. A player’s on-base percentage is a black and white statistic as is the rate at which a prospect connects on an up-and-in fastball. Football is an anecdotal sport at its core.

Tracking Football CEO Mark Branstad said the best way to approach coaches with his data is to base the information off players they’ve coached in the past. Frank said schools must take testing data and apply anecdotal evidence to make a full evaluation. A player might have tested under poor conditions or maybe his parents’ height suggests an imminent growth spurt. There’s also the question of which athlete to prioritize when statistics indicate prospects are nearly identical.

“We don’t have a formula that in the end says take this kid over that kid,” Frank said. “It’s more, ‘OK this is all we know based on numbers.’ … I still think there’s a human element that’s more in football than in baseball. Regardless of the result of the equation people have to make a decision. I don’t think too many programs will get to the point where they purely trust the number at the end.”

Cooper, as he gets ready to look at many Carfax reports heading into big recruiting weekend in Waco, said there are two branching philosophies when it comes to scouting. Some teams want great football players. Some teams want to recruit great athletes.

Baylor is obviously targeting the great athletes, yet that comes with a caveat: “It’s what you do with them,” Cooper said. “The beauty of recruiting for us is we rely so much on our development of a player. That’s what I think the secret ingredient is.”

Also, an Interesting tweet from this same 2019 article...

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn autocorrect

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not saying talent and depth aren't problems. They clearly are. It doesn't wash away the sins of the idiocy from this staff in repeated situations. 

And that's all I'm saying. Maybe Sark's not the right guy as HC, I sure won't say he is, but I will believe that guys like PK didn't forget to coach overnight. The proof's kinda there with him.

3 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I’m very cautiously optimistic on the O line stuff. Been running traps the last two days. Staff is recruiting well. I’m impressed with how they’re managing this tough season in relation to their pitch to these guys. I believe we are seeing our “new staff bump”. 

To be clear, I don’t know of anything to get excited about yet, but I’m certainly not as frustrated as I was this time last week.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I’m very cautiously optimistic on the O line stuff. Been running traps the last two days. Staff is recruiting well. I’m impressed with how they’re managing this tough season in relation to their pitch to these guys. I believe we are seeing our “new staff bump”. 

To be clear, I don’t know of anything to get excited about yet, but I’m certainly not as frustrated as I was this time last week.

A 2 game win streak to to end the year probably goes a long way. Not holding my breath but here's to hoping. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Recruiting and Roster Building by Rhule while at Baylor...

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-recruiting-testing-numbers-Tracking-Football-133192451/ 

ByCHRIS HUMMER Jun 25, 2019

Behold the analytics revolution: If you’re gonna miss, miss fast

“I kind of feel bad for some of those other schools with the pressure they have to take some of the kids they have to take sometimes because of their ranking, etcetera,” Cooper said. “This is just kind of who we are. This is a Matt Rhule deal.”

Excerpt -- End of Article...

Also, an Interesting tweet from this same 2019 article...

Can we hires this guy? Do we even have analytics. That shit works. The Astros are built on it and almost every MLB team does it now. Sure looks like it works for Baylor. Our bust rate on recruits is astronomical. We struggle to even put anyone in the NFL anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Banks. He's bringing Dewberry, Agbo, Stewart, Campbell, Williams, Anderson, and Perkins with him.  

2 hours ago, futureman said:

well that’s positive. 

Fuck, forgot to include Neto in my totally-not-going-to-happen wishcasting. But apparently he's still on the board too.

7 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Watch out CTJ and Golfclap are going to come shit on your doorstep.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

Can we hires this guy? Do we even have analytics. That shit works. The Astros are built on it and almost every MLB team does it now. Sure looks like it works for Baylor. Our bust rate on recruits is astronomical. We struggle to even put anyone in the NFL anymore.

Analytics only works if you have player development. Otherwise, you end up with a team full of Tyler Owenses. 

• Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Jeremy Crabtree, a national On3 guy, said the chances of Banks flipping keep going up by the day and he was close to putting the percentage at 60-70% in their flip article.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Also Gerry Hamilton said its Texas vs LSU for Denver Harris. He said as of now it looks like Bama is out. Texas just has to hold off the new LSU hire. The early playing time pitch has Texas in front, however LSU is selling press man coverage which he prefers. 

Gawd dammit we should be playing press man coverage ugh ugh 

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

image.gif.090f7f1fc4ef685fef9659357519df2f.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, TankedBevo said:

We tried that before, our CB's have the in-air ball skills of my 6 year old. Maybe Jahdae and Kitan are better I don't know but I'd be willing to find out

If you are frustrated now, just think how frustrated you will be when both Jamison and Thompson are on NFL rosters very soon. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If you are frustrated now, just think how frustrated you will be when both Jamison and Thompson are on NFL rosters very soon. 

Why? They'll either be on NFL rosters, or they'll be here for another year sucking balls with NFL talent and doing shit. Both situations suck for us, but does one really suck more than the other or tell us anything we don't already know?

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why? They'll either be on NFL rosters, or they'll be here for another year sucking balls with NFL talent and doing shit. Both situations suck for us, but does one really suck more than the other or tell us anything we don't already know?

It’s frustrating to see them not cover well. It will be really frustrating to see that it’s all coaching and not a lack of talent once they reach the nfl.  

24 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Maybe he spent all his Bitcoin and needs more.

Gerry and others have said there's a family situation that is causing him to look harder at staying close to home. Otherwise he wouldn't be entertaining not going to Oregon.

Edited by Schulz2.0

15 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Sure some others on here are hearing something similar, but I’m officially worried on Stewart. A&M is being very competitive there.

some intel from On3 to make everyone's morning a little brighter

Spoiler

Even though he’s visiting Alabama this weekend, most intel has Evan Stewart as a “strong lean toward Texas A&M.”

On3 Director of Recruiting Chad Simmons reported on Wednesday the Aggies are clearly the team to beat.

“Evan Stewart’s recruitment has been full of twists and turns,” Simmons wrote. “And now, a few weeks into November, the Aggies have pulled ahead. Stewart has more questions about Texas than he does about Texas A&M. He wants to win, and Stewart has concerns about how long it will take Steve Sarkisian to get things going in Austin.”

Now that Alabama is getting the official visit, it’ll be interesting to see if the Crimson Tide becomes a factor. Stewart took an unofficial visit to Alabama in the summer. It’ll be his first trip back to campus in months.

12 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

some intel from On3 to make everyone's morning a little brighter

Hide contents

Even though he’s visiting Alabama this weekend, most intel has Evan Stewart as a “strong lean toward Texas A&M.”

On3 Director of Recruiting Chad Simmons reported on Wednesday the Aggies are clearly the team to beat.

“Evan Stewart’s recruitment has been full of twists and turns,” Simmons wrote. “And now, a few weeks into November, the Aggies have pulled ahead. Stewart has more questions about Texas than he does about Texas A&M. He wants to win, and Stewart has concerns about how long it will take Steve Sarkisian to get things going in Austin.”

Now that Alabama is getting the official visit, it’ll be interesting to see if the Crimson Tide becomes a factor. Stewart took an unofficial visit to Alabama in the summer. It’ll be his first trip back to campus in months.

A. We are a complete shitshow right now.

B. Our chances for Stewart haven't been good for a long time, IMO.

C. A WR at A&M is little threat to any other school.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting