Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm feeling pretty, prettaaaaayyy good about 2022 QB, personally. At least the betting part of it.

giphy.gif

i want to believe! if Sark goes into next year with the current QB room he should be fired by this time next year.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

With our OL, our receivers (Marcus Washington is starting now), he points out that we'd be fine if we had a more consistent qb.

He may have lost his bet on QB, but he is not wrong.. 

Casey is 7h in QBR in the Big 12 with a 62.3 rating (59th in the country). He is 9th in Ints/attempt in the Big 12. His play hasnt been very good all year, outside of lighting up the worst defenses on the schedule. He just told the truth. 

Edited by Codaxx

I'll post IT stuff here because it gets better discussions than main board, cool? cool!

Thursday with Sark: 

As usual, Sark was available to the media. Updates here, video to come later.

Sarkisian: "I think one thing that we've been really trying to impress upon everybody is clearly we haven't gotten the results we would have liked over the past few ballgames, but now's not the time to start to cut corners. Football is a lot like life. The moment you try to start cutting corners in one aspect or another, inevitably you'll never get the results or the rewards that you want."

Sarkisian on support from CDC and Kevin Eltife, offers praise to the administration: "These guys have been unbelievably supportive of me, the staff, and the program from day one and continue to be." -- Said Eltife showing up at practice was mostly to say hello Sark, no talking to the team. -- "He was instrumental in me getting hired here, in the process of going through it with President Hartzell, Chris, and obviously Kevin."

Sarkisian on what he's learned about himself this year: "I probably think the biggest thing for me is I trust what I do. I've been doing this a long time. I believe in the process in which I go about what we do as a team, then ultimately what I do individually to get myself prepared, to get our team prepared to make sure that everything I do has the best interests of the University of Texas and our players at heart." -- Mentions in his past he would have been consumed with other things going on that he would distracted and unable to be the best version of himself for his staff and team.

Sarkisian: "It is a fine line because ultimately our job is to motivate our players to be the best they can be, and not only motivate but doing all the things necessary to put them in position to have success and be the best they can be." -- Utilizes tough love, 'patting them on the back trying to pick them up,' sometimes it's technical and scheme related. -- "Everybody is feeling and taking things on differently. Having the awareness to look at everybody individually and be observant enough and aware enough to push the right buttons with each individual, that's ultimately the task to get us going in the right direction."

Sarkisian says Jonathon Brooks is not available. Keilan Robinson *is* available. Jordan Whittington *will* play.

Sarkisian says they encourage QBs to utilize their legs "to create positive yards when they can in the passing game," but believes "the team's always better when your quarterback is healthy."

Sarkisian on bowl eligibility: "My focus really isn't there yet. My focus is more on Saturday, making sure we're in a good frame of mind and we've got the pieces in place to go win that ball game, then we can worry about the next one next." -- Said he understands the question, but has to focus on Saturday.

Casey Thompson will start, and it sounds like he will be the quarterback on Saturday.

Sarkisian said he believes the most complete game they've played this year was the season-opener: "How we can try to find a way recreate some of that stuff moving forward is probably the bigger question of, how do we tie all three phases together to play complimentary football, to ultimately play complete football."

Sarkisian notes WVU is a downhill physical running team with good slot WRs and a big outside WR. Also notes the Mountaineer defensive line is high quality.

Sarkisian: "Everything that I feel from our guys is they keep coming back to work. They keep competing. They still want. They still hurt. The thing that would be concerning is if it didn't hurt."

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah, that site has been the only site that beats the ever loving shit out of the dead horse that is Thompson/Card debate and it all stints back to them pumping up Card as "Aaron Rodgers" according Justin Wells. 

I know Ketch was running with this in the offseason.. Hell he even said that he had Card, Milroe ranked ahead of Ewers, if all three were in a cycle.

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

He may have lost his bet on QB, but he is not wrong.. 

Casey is 7h in QBR in the Big 12 with a 62.3 rating (59th in the country). He is 9th in Ints/attempt in the Big 12. His play hasnt been very good all year, outside of lighting up the worst defenses on the schedule 

It's how they present it and have presented it over the course of the year...Casey is far better than Card but they don't nearly do as much negative reporting and shit like that to Card. Both are dog shit though as you note.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thompson and Card will be gone or relegated to irrelevance and Ewers or Brown or some other better QB will be the guy taking the snaps. I bet closetohumping $1000 on it.

This, a new defensive and S&C staff plus a few holes in the portal are enough to get things turned around. We just have to have the balls to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Newy25 said:

This, a new defensive and S&C staff plus a few holes in the portal are enough to get things turned around. We just have to have the balls to do it. 

I'm willing to give the S&C guy another year. If players aren't bought into this staff and team it doesn't matter who the S&C coach is as they're going to get their ass kicked and out physicaled because of effort by the other team and lack of effort on our part. 

Wells:

Of all the offensive linemen that were on campus last weekend, Texas might look the best for Arlington Bowie five-star Devon Campbell.

The 2022 On300 prospect had a great official visit in Austin. He was hosted by Byron Murphy and spent time with Morice Blackwell and other players.

OU, Alabama, and Georgia remain in the hunt, with LSU and USC looking from the outside.

His Alabama official opened his eyes, and Kirby Smart’s Bulldogs are trying to get more involved. But Texas is the long consistent in these sweepstakes.

Campbell wants to sign during the early period, and announce at the UA All American game.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Unless we do the unthinkable and hire Samples although idk if that happens and know nothing. 

I made it to “dude” before I stopped. A pro puts that he knows nothing at the end of their thoughts haha

I’ll take your word, as I consider you a SME at knowing nothing, incongruous as that may be. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Right now, our roster at WR (minus walkons) regardless of position is:

Worthy, Whittington, Washington, Dixon, Omeire, Woodard, Alexis, *Money.

Of those guys, I would think these last two games is the last we will see of Dixon and Woodard. Omeire is an unknown on if he sticks around or ever sees the field, and Money will have his scholarship yanked if it hasn't been already. That leaves a room of 3 to 4 scholarship receivers in a predominately 3 wide offense, with Whittington being oft injured. We theorize that Thompson will factor in immediately barring injury, and with that depth it would be hard to envision Winfield not seeing the field next year in some capacity. Omeire can't be counted on for anything at this point, so we would need to find at least two and probably three more contributors in either the portal or with a late take. With Stewart looking like a lost cause at this point we are going to need some Worthy level juju in the portal again this year at that spot. 

*predominantly

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Oh is that right?  I better check under gramma's mattress to see if she has a grand hidden under there.

Back to Casey, I find it funny that Nahlin goes right after him when he threw money behind Card.  

He's not singularly going after Casey. Casey has received the lion's share of snaps and hasn't performed well enough to deserve the job handed to him next year. He's acknowledged Card's poor play and prospects a few times during those videos they do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Atticus said:

He's not singularly going after Casey. Casey has received the lion's share of snaps and hasn't performed well enough to deserve the job handed to him next year. He's acknowledged Card's poor play and prospects a few times during those videos they do.

For Casey to be leading the B12 in TD passes by a wide margin while being 7th in QBR is one of the weirdest stats ever.

Edited by Vertigo

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

this was my take as well. He was talking about the whole QB room not just Casey. You don't advocate for a transfer QB if you think there's a starter quality guy in the room already.

21 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

For Casey to be leading the B12 in TD passes by a wide margin while being 7th in QBR is one of the weirdest stats ever.

Remember the QBR does give much credit for Worthy's 70 yard TD off a screen or the 3-4 Jet sweeps for TDs. It also says there is a difference between playing vs defenses in the 100s than good defenses. 13 of the 23 TDs is vs Kansas, Rice, and Tech. 

10 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Tell me you've never been in a Golden Corral parking lot without telling me you've never been in a GC parking lot.

The mental image I have of Ketchum plowing his specially customized minivan with the middle section pulled out, the front seat moved back and concrete reinforced, into the Golden Corral parking lot on two wheels, followed by his massive fat ass then sprint-jogging across the parking lot in order to barrel into the buffet line made me laugh out loud. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Adjusted “stats are for losers” - Will Muschamp 

probably not the best person to quote, based on his HCing record. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The mental image I have of Ketchum plowing his specially customized minivan with the middle section pulled out, the front seat moved back and concrete reinforced, into the Golden Corral parking lot on two wheels, followed by his massive fat ass then sprint-jogging across the parking lot in order to barrel into the buffet line made me laugh out loud. 

Imagine the damage done to the suspension. My God

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

probably not the best person to quote, based on his HCing record. 

Eh he was a DC when he said it 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Eh he was a DC when he said it 

Here is why the QBR is so low

Casey vs the top 5 Big 12 Defenses

71 att, 40 comp, 56.3%, 461 yards, 6.5 yards per att, 3 TDs, 3 INTs

vs the bottom 5

122 att, 80 comp, 65.5%, 1191 yards, 9.76 yards per, 17 TDs, 3 ints. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah, that site has been the only site that beats the ever loving shit out of the dead horse that is Thompson/Card debate and it all stints back to them pumping up Card as "Aaron Rodgers" according Justin Wells. Gerry and Nahlin being giddy all off season and into fall camp. Them announcing the NIL deal the same day as he was named starter even though it was done weeks prior. Their posters are brain dead about it as well. Couple all that with every chance they get to knock Thompson they completely do while making excuses for Card.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Malik Murphy gonna throw for 3000 and rush for 800 next year

if Murphy sees the field in a competitive game we are beyond fucked.

dude who is a project, needs a good bit of work but with a ton of upside? and played against (very) sub par competition? and who isn't an EE?

yikes.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am warning you, if you keep this up OnaComputer is going to come and beat that ass. #adjustedstatsrule!!

in almost every situation, adjusted statistics are better than "normal" stats.

who gives a fuck if you run up the score against an 0-9 team and score 30 points in the 4th q? why should that matter when showing how "good" your offense is? (it shouldnt"

@ the guy if you are going to bitch at him @OnAComputer

there is a reason stats like wOBA and wRC+ are so much better when it comes to identifying how good a players is vs using shit like RBI and Batting Average...just like there is a reason to use possession or opponent adjusted stats over shit like passing TDs or rushing defense (yards given up / game)

54 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Adjusted “stats are for losers” - Will Muschamp 

i think the quote was "Stats are for losers. I like winning games. --Will Muschamp"

either way, clearly he should have cared about them more and he would have been more than 56-51 as a coach and been fired as a head coach at two places

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

and it all stints back to them pumping up Card as "Aaron Rodgers" according Justin Wells.

Wells is the biggest sunshine pumping dork I’ve ever encountered in the Texas media space. He was on the radio yesterday spinning the Kansas loss as a good outcome. Not kidding. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Defending Hudson Card at this point reminds me of the clowns who defend Shaka Smart until the day he took the Marquette job. If Sarkisian can't engineer the guy into looking at least serviceable, no one can. Dude is a Show Team Hero if there ever was one.

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Wow he tweeted that today?

Don’t worry guys he got ahold of the all 22! It’s not as bad as the worst game we’ve seen a Texas QB play

1 hour ago, NoName said:

in almost every situation, adjusted statistics are better than "normal" stats.

who gives a fuck if you run up the score against an 0-9 team and score 30 points in the 4th q? why should that matter when showing how "good" your offense is? (it shouldnt"

@ the guy if you are going to bitch at him @OnAComputer

there is a reason stats like wOBA and wRC+ are so much better when it comes to identifying how good a players is vs using shit like RBI and Batting Average...just like there is a reason to use possession or opponent adjusted stats over shit like passing TDs or rushing defense (yards given up / game)

My bad. I actually agree on adjusted stats. But I laugh at how many times he has to get into that discussion here

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Don’t worry guys he got ahold of the all 22! It’s not as bad as the worst game we’ve seen a Texas QB play

I don’t know why anyone who likes Card as a QB would post this after watching the Kansas game. Even if Ian says he’s  objective about Card when asked about the NIL deal with IT, there’s no way he can defend that objectivity anymore. This shows obvious bias, which we all knew most mods at IT had the entire time. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting