Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

That's because we've let it become the football board. Yes the team and coaches sucking are  recruiting related, but there is an entire board devoted to those topics. 

Maybe if those pussies hadn’t left at the first sign of trouble it wouldn’t have become the football board.  JAG posters like yours truly abhor a vacuum.  

• Haha 1

"I think he's as good on the offensive side of the ball as anyone in football, whether it's pro or college, and I think Dan's going to have other opportunities to go out and coach football and I think he's going to be successful at it," Stricklin said. "But, you know, this is a place that you should be able to have a high level of sustained success over a consistent period of time. And to do that, you have to have a lot of little things in place. People look at losses as a cause to get rid of a coach, but a lot of times, the losses are for things that don't go right in the field, those are symptoms of other issues.“

This is what the Florida AD said today about firing Mullen. You can easily replace “Dan” with “Steve” for our situation. If you want to have the job at Texas, Florida, Bama, OU and the like, you better be competing for a conference championship on a regular basis or you ass will be out of a job. You want to make $5MM+ a year, you better be ready to handle those expectations.

I was a big fan of the Sark hire, but I have no issue ending this charade at the end of this season. I don’t care that it’s only been one season. If you lose to Kansas, you ain’t the guy. There’s no point continuing the charade any further as it only puts a year behind in getting the program where it should be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

"I think he's as good on the offensive side of the ball as anyone in football, whether it's pro or college, and I think Dan's going to have other opportunities to go out and coach football and I think he's going to be successful at it," Stricklin said. "But, you know, this is a place that you should be able to have a high level of sustained success over a consistent period of time. And to do that, you have to have a lot of little things in place. People look at losses as a cause to get rid of a coach, but a lot of times, the losses are for things that don't go right in the field, those are symptoms of other issues.“

This is what the Florida AD said today about firing Mullen. You can easily replace “Dan” with “Steve” for our situation. If you want to have the job at Texas, Florida, Bama, OU and the like, you better be competing for a conference championship on a regular basis or you ass will be out of a job. You want to make $5MM+ a year, you better be ready to handle those expectations.

I was a big fan of the Sark hire, but I have no issue ending this charade at the end of this season. I don’t care that it’s only been one season. If you lose to Kansas, you ain’t the guy. There’s no point continuing the charade any further as it only puts a year behind in getting the program where it should be. 

He's more comparable to Herman. He's an asshole that never got along with their boosters. Also, why is Dan Mullen news in this thread?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I'd like to believe this. It would make it so much easier. But I don't. Not yet anyway. This team sucks. It's not his team yet. I'm not very hopeful but I don't thinks it's a lost cause. See you halfway through next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

There are some good points above, it’s not like these coaches are getting paid like the average state employee, they are making millions each year and that comes with expectations.  Kansas was only paying around 2M a year and they fired a guy after 2 years.  

We are paying >6M for a dumpster fire. The last asshole recruited DL for.a 3 man front because that’s what Orlando ran, but started recruiting for a 4 man front because that’s what Orlando’s replacement ran.  

Now we run a 3 man front again, but sure we have to let him get “his kind of guys” in here so the next guy starts off with “the wrong kind of guys” and has to start over. 

Fuck that, a good coach wins with what he has.  He likely doesn’t win them all, probably not even close.  But he sure as shit better beat Kansas with them.   Show development and improvement as the season evolves, we have done the opposite.   There’s plenty of evidence to support 7 loss Steve not being a good HC.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Fuck that, a good coach wins with what he has.  He likely doesn’t win them all, probably not even close.  But he sure as shit better beat Kansas with them.   Show development and improvement as the season evolves, we have done the opposite.   There’s plenty of evidence to support 7 loss Steve not being a good HC.  

I don't think he knew what he had. We all thought there was something there. They were crushing each other in practice. Turns out they were very bad at football equally and both our quarterbacks sucked equally. These losses have turned on a bunch of shitty playing on the field as much as shitty coaching off of it, as far as I can tell. 

He's going to have to show some balls this offseason. Drastic changes. But I'd like to see what he can do. Halfway through next year we ought to know. 

Edited by mwaadeeb
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Harvdog said:

This team doesn’t have the right players to run either scheme. It’s laughable that some people think these guys forgot how to coach once they stepped foot in the 512. I think we are all guilty of watching the Alamo bowl last year and thinking we were going to be a team competing for the Big 12 and beyond. This year has proven that TH was a terrible recruiter and evaluator of talent. The glaring holes on both lines, the lack of a decent LB and WR’s that can catch is all on him. 

Imagine you are a long haul truck driver and you take a new job to haul trailers. You show up and see the trailers….they look decent and you know that you have done it in the past so this won’t be an issue. When you dive deep you see that they have given you a lawn mower to haul the loads. Going to be tough to get the job done. Once you get your truck, this will be much easier. It will just take a year to get your rig. 

We all want to win. 90% of our fan base is completely toxic and thinks we should win just because we are Texas. It’s time to wake up and realize VY ain’t walking through that door tomorrow and neither is Darryl Royal. Give the coach his time to build the roster with players that WANT to be here, WANT to play for Texas and that fit the scheme. All the bitching and whining about “fire this coach” ain’t helping the perception of the fan base and the actual job. If Sark can’t get this rolling by year 3, then I am all for making a change. But goddamn, let the guy get his players in and see what he can do. 

This is Reddit bullshit

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yes, no one has opined yet that Kansas beat us with inferior players. You are the first!

It's a good point. It just doesn't seem like a Charlie Strong kind of ineptitude this time. Maybe you know something behind the scenes. It ain't asking for much to see what happens next year. It wouldn't be the first time somebody turned shit around after year one. Freaking out and firing a coach after one year is worse for the program in every scenario without a unicorn.

• Like 2

Halfway through next year we ought to know. 

lol how can you say this with a straight face?

Halfway through this year Texas was 4-1, off to an unbeaten start in conference play, and had just gone up 41-23 over OU with two minutes left in the third quarter. This staff’s defining feature with recruits, within games, and over the course of the year is not being able to finish.

I mean, we’ll know if/when Texas is 3-3, but they could manage to go 9-0 through six games and still need to prove they can string it together through the entire season.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

lol how can you say this with a straight face?

Halfway through this year Texas was 4-1, off to an unbeaten start in conference play, and had just gone up 41-23 over OU with two minutes left in the third quarter. This staff’s defining feature with recruits, within games, and over the course of the year is not being able to finish.

I mean, we’ll know if/when Texas is 3-3, but they could manage to go 9-0 through six games and still need to prove they can string it together through the entire season.

My face is pretty straight. I checked. One thing about life is when you really think you know something. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, immamac said:

1:03 in that video - I didn't see that live because I was drunk out of my mind. How is he allowed in the locker room and not kicked off the team?

BJ Foster literally gets out of the way and watches the guy score a touchdown. Fuck BJ Foster. 

Last year I often wondered how Chris Brown just took BJs spot. Didn’t make a whole lot of sense. 
Chris Brown was far and away a better player than BJ post injuries. I say that because BJ shouldn’t have been on the field at times. He’s so scared to get hurt that he might as well not be out there. 

9 wins with bowl sets up Arch MNC 2023
Even if Arch has his heart set on living the high life in some dowtown Austin condo...the rest of the Manning family will steer him to the best program for his football future, and right now the Longhorns are far from that.

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m mourning not only the terrible state of Texas football, but also this thread, that was once a bright spot in a sea of surly bad football threads, with Machinator, Texifornia and other valuable posters. Now this thread is neck and neck with the team for suckage. 

Oh for fucks sake. I had one bad day. Let it go man!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ousux said:
7 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

Even if Arch has his heart set on living the high life in some dowtown Austin condo...the rest of the Manning family will steer him to the best program for his football future, and right now the Longhorns are far from that.

I was kidding. I do know the Mannings have flirted with Texas ever since grandpa Arch was around and that Archie may think it's cool and worth the risk.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Mildly hilarious that we've seen the same "analysis" of how Sark's roster is terrible posted 100 times, but no corresponding analysis of how the roster Leipold inherited (and beat us with) seven months ago was far, far worse.

people only see what they want to see, I suppose.

"Leipold!"

(Might have watched too many cartoons 😋)

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, ousux said:
7 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

The best thing that can happen over the next two weeks is that Sarkisian moves with brutal speed and absolutely nukes those guys out of the program. So brutal that recruits and others stop and go "Oh shit. Sark is serious." Then you will at least have guys like Arch going "I want to see what happens over the spring." Before they just say fuck it and commit to the other schools not currently engulfed in the fires of Mordor. If he lets these guys dribble out into the portal I think it will be a very different vibe, and one that won't inspire much confidence. Have one big round prior to December 15, and another big round right after so we can get 32/33 more next year.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mwaadeeb said:

It's a good point. It just doesn't seem like a Charlie Strong kind of ineptitude this time. Maybe you know something behind the scenes. It ain't asking for much to see what happens next year. It wouldn't be the first time somebody turned shit around after year one. Freaking out and firing a coach after one year is worse for the program in every scenario without a unicorn.

It is absolutely Charlie Strong ineptitude on the defensive side.    The O has overall not reached Strong/Watson ineptitude but has had periods where it is the equal.  ST has overall been better but that is mainly due to Dicker being pretty good. 

we are going to have a worse record than Charlie had in a season.  Sark is Charlie, at this point, until he proves he is not.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

It is absolutely Charlie Strong ineptitude on the defensive side.    The O has overall not reached Strong/Watson ineptitude but has had periods where it is the equal.  ST has overall been better but that is mainly due to Dicker being pretty good. 

we are going to have a worse record than Charlie had in a season.  Sark is Charlie, at this point, until he proves he is not.

The offense is personnel bad. You see so many plays just not being executed by our dumb shit players. 

defense is personnel and coaching. Dumb shit coaching and dumb shit players means dumb shit defense all around. Fire that dipshit PK

• Hook 'Em 1

Last year I often wondered how Chris Brown just took BJs spot. Didn’t make a whole lot of sense. 
Chris Brown was far and away a better player than BJ post injuries. I say that because BJ shouldn’t have been on the field at times. He’s so scared to get hurt that he might as well not be out there. 
I was excited about BJ when he committed to UT, and his Freshman year showed promise in limited play time...but the Foster/Schooler tandem may be the worst safety combo in Longhorn football history. Neither know how to defend a pass and both take horrible angles for open field tackles. BJ needs to be closer to the los to be effective, yet doesn't have the size/strength to shed blocks..even from a RB or WR.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think the injuries really hurt Foster, he played much more aggressively early on his career, and even played with basically one shoulder his sophomore year. But from that point forward it seems like he said fuck it and decided either the game of football or this team wasn't worth his body. Maybe he figures he'll get and NFL shot and needs to save his body. But all in all dude is a jag right now, has been all season.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

My dude, we have a loooong way to go before we ever reach peak Charlie levels of offensive ineptitude. Regarding special teams, we’ve had some stupid miscues not kneeling kickoffs for sure, but you don’t lead the country in blocked punts just by luck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

My dude, we have a loooong way to go before we ever reach peak Charlie levels of offensive ineptitude. Regarding special teams, we’ve had some stupid miscues not kneeling kickoffs for sure, but you don’t lead the country in blocked punts just by luck. 

I think that is exactly what I said, my dude...

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

We have inverse Charlie. Except for offense, it’s defense. Just be patient we have 2-3 more years of it :)

5 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I think the injuries really hurt Foster, he played much more aggressively early on his career, and even played with basically one shoulder his sophomore year. But from that point forward it seems like he said fuck it and decided either the game of football or this team wasn't worth his body. Maybe he figures he'll get and NFL shot and needs to save his body. But all in all dude is a jag right now, has been all season.

He watched Sterns loaf thru last season,  and what that got him. And sees himself doing the same. 

But does he have the tape? And w quitting mid game last year ,the sideline fits and the obvious lack of effort lately. Id hope UDFA would be the most he could hope for. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

He watched Sterns loaf thru last season,  and what that got him. And sees himself doing the same. 

But does he have the tape? And w quitting mid game last year ,the sideline fits and the obvious lack of effort lately. Id hope UDFA would be the most he could hope for. 

Sterns is the gift that keeps on taking. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, immamac said:

1:03 in that video - I didn't see that live because I was drunk out of my mind. How is he allowed in the locker room and not kicked off the team?

BJ Foster literally gets out of the way and watches the guy score a touchdown. Fuck BJ Foster. 

Because BI foster is the biggest loser pussy to ever walk in the state 

• Hook 'Em 3

Sark is Charlie, at this point, until he proves he is not.

Texas is going to end up with a worse record, worse conference record, longer losing streak, and, if Kansas State can do what everyone in conference play has done and scores at least 23 points, more points allowed than ever occurred under Charlie Strong.

This statement is a little ridiculous because Sark has not even earned that comparison.
  • Hook 'Em 3

BobbyBurton

Texas is favored over Kansas State by 1.5.

That’s not a misprint. I checked multiple sports books. One even has the Horns as 2-point favorites.

This line from the same Texas team that has lost six straight?

I’m not a betting man, at least not on sports, but if I were, I’d have zero faith in the Longhorns.

Of course, the line is largely because K-State is likely to be without its starting quarterback Skyler Thompson who suffered an injury against Baylor on Saturday.

But the Wildcats will still have running back Deuce Vaughn. Vaughn, in space, against Luke Brockermeyer, Jerrin Thompson or BJ Foster isn’t a fair fight.

Maybe Vegas knows something I don’t. Maybe Texas can actually end this season on a positive note.

Recruiting. Nothing matters more over the next couple of months.

There are multiple aspects of “recruiting” these days:

1. Recruiting high school/junior college players

2. Recruiting from the portal

3. Recruiting players on your own team to stay at Texas

To be clear, if the Texas staff is not considering and preparing for all three of these recruiting aspects thoroughly, they will be missing the boat. But they need some help.

NIL will absolutely lure some valuable players from some college programs to others.

At this point, I do not believe Texas has created an advantage in NIL like they should. That’s not on the coaches.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Vaughn, in space, against Luke Brockermeyer, Jerrin Thompson or BJ Foster isn’t a fair fight.

---

At this point, I do not believe Texas has created an advantage in NIL like they should. That’s not on the coaches.

I'm sick of being the bug. When will we be the windshield again? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Stampede: Confidence ratings on Texas targets
MIKE ROACH

Spoiler

The Stampede: Confidence ratings on Texas targets
MIKE ROACH

We are close to the last month of the early signing period as Texas tries to close on Steve Sarkisian’s first class in the middle of a disastrous first season mired in the middle of a six-game losing streak.

Regardless, the Longhorns still have a little bit of steam and there are several important targets still on the board that could provide immediate help for Texas in the class. The staff will also need to defend home turf as schools that smell blood in the water continue to recruit a few commits in the Texas class.

The playoffs in Texas also provide a chance to catch up with targets and get the latest updates on prospects from all classes.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we break out the confidence meter for those prospects still on the board, check in on a few committed prospects to monitor and Nick provides his road report from the weekend.

CONFIDENCE BOARD

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

The confidence board is a good way to gauge where things stand at the moment. The information contained is a mix of our own knowledge about the recruitment and how sources feel about the situation. Confidence ratings will be given on a scale of high to low with a trending note to show if that confidence is up, down or holding steady.

Devin Brown, QB, Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon

Sources in Austin felt strong about where things stood with Brown coming out of his official visit, and the buzz in Utah over the weekend sounded good for the Longhorns. Brown is coming off a short visit to Ohio State that lasted just over 24 hours. I’m still waiting on full word about how that trip went, but barring a massive push from the Buckeyes, Texas feels good in this one.

Confidence: High

Trending: Holding Steady

Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Liberty

A few weeks ago, this would have been the highest confidence on the board, but the losing for Texas is definitely playing a role. Alabama is suddenly involved and it wouldn’t surprise me to see other schools pop up or for this race to go until February. While Texas has a strong offensive pitch, the record is the biggest obstacle for Texas, but there is still hope there based on the feedback Stewart has given to the staff.

Confidence: Medium-High

Trending: Slightly Down

Shazz Preston, WR, Saint James (LA.)

Preston showed a lot of interest over the summer, but there just hasn’t been a lot there in recent months. Georgia is a school generating a ton of momentum, and this recruitment could hinge on who LSU ultimately hires to replace Ed Orgeron. Texas seems to be looking at other options, and there isn’t a lot of clarity at the moment.

Confidence: Low

Trending: Down

Kevin Coleman, WR, Saint Louis (MO.) St. Mary’s

Coleman has talked about visiting Texas several times, but a trip never materialized, and there doesn’t seem to be anything going between him and the staff at the moment. Both sides seemed to go their own way in the last few months and it’s hard to see this relationship getting a revival

Matthew Golden, WR, Klein Cain
Texas will host Golden on an unofficial visit this Friday and he will return in December for an official visit. LSU, Houston and Baylor are also pushing, but those near Golden feel Texas has a strong opportunity to make a move for a player of Golden’s ability. We’ll feel better with intel following an on-campus visit, but things have been moving quickly here.

Trending: Up

Arlis Boardingham, TE, Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham

Boardingham is the only uncommitted tight end prospect on the board, and communication is ongoing between both sides. At this point, it’s unclear if Texas will choose to push for a prospect at the position in the 2022 class. If they do, the Longhorns should find themselves a contender.

Confidence: Medium

Kelvin Banks, OL, Humble Summer Creek

Banks maintains that he’s strongly committed to Oregon, but Texas is throwing everything they can at the five-star offensive tackle. Texas will continue to throw the kitchen sink at this recruitment because of the great need at the position. It’s still a stretch at this point to feel confident a flip is at hand. Perhaps movement with Mario Cristobal or the decision to stay close to home could change the math.

Confidence: Medium-Low

Trending: Slightly up

Malik Agbo, OL, Federal Way (Wash.) Todd Beamer

Texas made a strong impression on Agbo when he visited in October, but the latest buzz for the Pacific Northwest big man favors Auburn. Texas still seems to be near the top of that list with a chance to close over the next month, but they probably have some work to do.

Cameron Williams, OL, Duncanville

There was a time in October that the Longhorns seemed to have some hope in flipping the massive Duncanville tackle. Williams did visit Austin for the Kansas game making that the second time he saw the Longhorns on the season. That alone keeps this recruitment alive, but a source near Williams feels he’s locked in with Oregon.

Confidence: Medium-Low

Devon Campbell, OL, Arlington Bowie

Campbell remains one of the most important prospects on the board and the five-star prospect can be an instant contributor for Kyle Flood. Texas hosted Campbell on his official visit recently, and he’s one of the prospects they’ve been able to keep consistent momentum with despite the losing streak.

Earnest Greene, OL, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

Greene sees the opportunity at Texas and has a strong relationship with Kyle Flood. It’s tough to say if that combination will be enough to overcome a Georgia team that has been elite on the field this year. Texas likely has some work to do down the stretch to close the deal here.

Kam Dewberry, OL, Humble Atascocita

Information on Dewberry has been all over the place. The four-star prospect is angling to keep his decision a surprise, and the information about him is certainly all over the place. My best intel has this as a three team race between Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. Texas got the last visit, and from the folks we spoke with, they did an impressive job with the presentation. In-home visits will play a huge role in clearing up the picture.

Neto Umeozulu, OL, Allen

Umeozulu has succeeded in being the recruit in this class with the most mystery around his recruitment. The four-star prospect recently took his official visit to Austin, and there were mixed reviews from sources near the situation. Alabama is probably the leader at the moment, but nobody, including Umeozulu, seems to have a firm grasp in one direction or another.

Omari Abor, EDGE, Duncanville

This recruitment had a flicker of life when Abor visited Texas in the summer, but that life was always dependent on him returning in the fall. Abor hasn’t yet returned while Ohio State continues to look like the move for the athletic pass rusher. Barring a December official visit, it’s tough to see anything happen with him.

Harold Perkins, LB, Cy-Park

There have been times throughout this recruitment where Texas seemed to be gaining momentum, but it seems to be getting away from the Longhorns at the moment. It’s starting to feel like this could come down to Texas A&M and LSU with the potential replacement for Ed Orgeron playing a role in the race. Texas will have to do something to reverse momentum and give themselves a chance once again.

Denver Harris, CB, Houston North Shore

Like Umeozulu, Harris has succeeded in keeping things close to the vest. Like Evan Stewart, he’s balancing the opportunity to play immediately with the failures on the field for the Longhorns. Alabama has been a chief competitor and should be considered the most dangerous while LSU continues to lurk in the weeds. Still, Texas feels confidence and I haven’t heard anything that would change that as of now.

Terrance Brooks, CB, Little Elm

Texas has been working Brooks and trying to flip the Ohio State commit. Texas is working on getting Brooks back to campus before signing day, and Terry Joseph has been relentless in this one. The Longhorns will need to get him to Austin to have any hope, so we will see if it happens.

Jaylon Guilbeau, CB, Port Arthur Memorial

As we detailed last week, Texas is trending up once again for Guilbeau who was once committed to the Longhorns. Since Gary Patterson was fired at TCU, Texas has been pushing to get Guilbeau back.

Jacoby Mathews, S, Ponchatoula (LA.)

There was a time in the early season when several folks near Mathews felt Texas was a darkhorse, but Texas A&M has the recent momentum and LSU should be considered the most dangerous challenger depending on who they hire at head coach.

Larry Turner-Gooden, S, Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany

Turner-Gooden came back to Austin on his own dime for the second time last week making it the third overall visit he’s been on to Texas. Since he decommitted from Arizona State, Texas has been pushing to land the four-star safety prospect. Colorado is the other school making a push and the Buffaloes have ties to the California area. We will see where things shake out down the stretch.

Kendrick Law, ATH, Shreveport (LA.) Captain Shreve

Texas has been working on Law behind the scenes and are angling to get him to campus for an official visit in December. If Texas can get him on campus, there’s some faith that the Longhorns could become a player for the versatile Louisiana athlete. Law doesn’t speak on his recruitment publicly, so sourced information is all we have to go off of down the stretch.

CHECKING UP ON TEXAS COMMITS

The existing 2022 class has been pretty strong in the face of these struggles. We are still checking with each commit, but we expect most if not all of this class to sign in December leaving the staff free to work through January on any remaining prospects and what is expected to be a crowded NCAA Transfer Portal.

As of now, we have six commits confirmed as early enrollees. Those players are Brenen Thompson, Justice Finkley, Maalik Murphy, Cole Hutson, Jaydon Blue and Anthony Jones. Others have talked about it, but we haven’t confirmed those as of yet.

We are also still working to sort out the overall numbers. Some of our figures have yielded different returns on how many prospects they can take in this class.

Two Texas commits are facing a strong push from other schools. One of those prospects is Jamarion Miller who recently took a visit to Alabama. The Crimson Tide have been coming on strong, and a source near Miller said that he’s still figuring things out. Now that his season is over, we will get an answer on where things truly stand.

Texas commit Jamarion Miller. (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
Two sources I spoke with over the weekend feel that Miller ultimately stays with Texas. One source said the family spoke with the staff over the weekend, and the feeling is that they were able to solidify the situation.

The picture with Armani Winfield is a bit cloudy. Michigan State has been going all out to flip him with Mel Tucker leading the way. Armed with a new contract and the image of long-time stability, the push from Tucker won’t likely go away. A source I spoke with about Winfield over the weekend feels that he also will decide to stay with Texas, but the confidence behind that statement wasn’t as strong. Horns247 will see Winfield in action this week.

NICK’S ROAD REPORT
The Texas high school football playoffs are now in full swing as this past weekend saw the area round create fun matchups and entertaining finishes throughout the state.

I was able to catch five of those games this past weekend: El Campo vs Lindale on Thursday, Humble Atascocita vs Dickinson on Friday, and Tyler Legacy vs Cedar Hill, Rockwall vs DeSoto, and Southlake Carroll vs Midland Legacy on Saturday.

We’ll start with Thursday when El Campo five-star running back Rueben Owens II was as monstrous as he has been all season in a 56-42 win for the Ricebirds. On a season-high 36 carries, Owens rushed for 324 yards and 4 touchdowns along with being on the receiving end of the only completed pass all night for El Campo, a 38-yard jump ball down the sideline on third down in the first quarter.

Regarding his recruitment, nothing is too different than what was reported last week after his first round playoff win, which is probably a good thing considering Texas lost to Kansas since then. Texas and Texas A&M remain in a good spot, with the difference for Texas being if the staff can bring in some high-quality offensive linemen to potentially help block for him at the next level.

Friday’s game between Dickinson and Atascocita was one of my favorite games so far this year. Dickinson jumped out to a 14-0 lead at the half, but Atascocita slowly crept back into the game behind 2024 quarterback Zion Brown to win on a field goal as time expired, 22-21.

Three recruits with Texas significance were in action during that game: 2022 four-star offensive lineman Kam Dewberry (Atascocita), 2023 three-star cornerback Vernon Glover Jr. (Dickinson, and 2024 offensive lineman Nate Kibble (Atascocita). With the Atascocita linemen, Horns247 is expected to catch up with each on Monday since the Eagles’ do not allow postgame interviews.

However, I was able to catch up with Glover who has shown a healthy amount of interest in Texas since being offered in June. He has made two trips to Austin, talks with the staff (mainly cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph) daily, and is planning on taking an official visit to Texas in the spring. But just as with any recruit from Dickinson, Texas A&M is a major player as well. The Aggies have hosted him multiple times as well and he maintains contact with Jimbo Fisher. Texas A&M is another place he plans on taking an official visit to in the spring. I expect some big-name programs to get involved over the offseason, but I see this shaping up to be yet another crucial in-state battle in 2023.

On Saturday, Texas commit Jamarion Miller played in his final high school game as his Tyler Legacy Red Raiders fell 21-7 to Cedar Hill. It caps a huge career for the East Texas running back as he finished first in his program’s history in career rushing yards. The Texas commit has kept in contact with Alabama, but the Texas staff has also continued to do their fair share of work on the second-highest ranked commit in the class.

DeSoto 2023 four-star wide receiver Johntay Cook and his Eagles team were able to fight through the second round though as they defeated Rockwall 49-28. After the game, Cook caught up with reporters and discussed his perception of the state of the Texas program. As a recruit that I personally see Texas having the best chances within 2023, Cook said that he sees the Texas struggles as a result of the players not being what fits Steve Sarkisian’s scheme. He is looking forward to seeing how they finish out the 2022 class and will assuredly take an official visit in the spring.

(Nick Harris)

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Fong says Texas leads for Stewart, he just doesn't trust our QB situation and is trying to wait it out as long as possible.

Regarding the Longhorns: “I like the fact that they get Xavier (Worthy) targets. They just have to figure out the quarterback situation. No telling what the quarterback situation will be like next year, I feel like some stuff is about to change this offseason.”

@UncleBuck

Five-star WR Evan Stewart still has three schools on his mind
STEVE WILTFONG

Spoiler

Five-star WR Evan Stewart still has three schools on his mind
STEVE WILTFONG

The Top247 and 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 ranked receiver Evan Stewart says he has “no idea” when he’s announcing a college decision.

The blue-chipper added, “I wasn’t planning on the 15th.”

December 15 is obviously the first day of the three-day Early Signing Period where the majority of 2022 prospects will lock in their college future. Less than a month before they’re allowed to put pen to paper, the five-star Stewart is still looking at a few schools.

“Really Texas, I’m still looking at Bama and a little bit of A&M,” the Lone Star State’s No. 1 prospect Stewart said.

As Stewart works to get his list to one, he talked about all three programs.

Regarding the Crimson Tide: “Alabama just their receivers are on fire right now. Jameson Williams is going crazy. Bryce Young is a cold quarterback, that’s a quarterback I would want. A quarterback that sits in the pocket and gets the ball to me. If he needs to run, he’ll run it, but I like a quarterback that knows what to do all the time.”

Regarding the Longhorns: “I like the fact that they get Xavier (Worthy) targets. They just have to figure out the quarterback situation. No telling what the quarterback situation will be like next year, I feel like some stuff is about to change this offseason.”

Regarding the Aggies: “I just like the feel of it up there. The vibe is great. Ainias Smith he’s been doing his work. I’ve been seeing him. It was electrifying when he took that punt back the first game I went up to. The (recruiting) class is cool.”

With that, the electric Stewart sees a fit at all three schools.

“There is nothing wrong with any of them,” Stewart said. “Texas is rebuilding which is the only thing different.”

Stewart took his official to Texas in June. The former Longhorns commit went into the season excited to see what Steve Sarkisian’s new offense looked like in Austin. As he said he likes the way they’re utilizing the true freshman Worthy. Texas A&M made a move in this recruitment following an official visit the weekend of Oct. 22 and he’s been back another time since. Stewart visited Alabama at the end of summer, however he did not end up taking his official visit this past weekend. Florida got an official the first weekend of June. The Lone Star State’s No. 1 recruit still has two official visits he can utilize before making a college decision.

The 247Sports Composite’s No. 3 overall recruit regardless of position, Stewart will play in the Under Armour All-American game in January.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting