Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Herb Hand got crucified but Giles left the DL in similar shape. 

Without Ossai, our DL would have been straight trash last season. You could already see the regression with Coburn and Sweat. Outside of Ojomo, sometimes Collins, and I guess the FR there is nothing. 

Giles was awful. The Collins and Broughton recruitments (which were favorable towards Texas to begin with) saved his ass or else he would have been a part of the staff purge in 2019. I can’t think of one guy he helped develop that was his own guy and not someone left over from the previous staff. Guys like Omenihu, Ford and Nelson were open with the fact that they didn’t feel prepared for the NFL under Giles.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Giles was awful. The Collins and Broughton recruitments saved his ass or else he would have been a part of the staff purge. I can’t think of one guy he helped develop that was his own guy and not someone left over from the previous staff. Guys like Omenihu, Ford and Nelson were open with the fact that they didn’t feel prepared for the NFL under Giles.

But Anwar said we needed to give Giles his flowers...

I said this in the coaching vs talent thread but the DL that Bo had in his 1 year at UTSA was much more talented than the DL he had this year at Texas. 

It’s not even particularly close either as that UTSA DL had a 1st rounder and another guy that keeps getting opportunities in the NFL. 

That’s just sad. 

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Nick saban the god of college football said you can tell kids to do it and explain the importance of doing it but it’s up to them to actually do it. Can’t make kids work hard who don’t want to, can’t make them find value in going hard every rep unless they want to do it. Where are all the assholes who have been shitting on Sark and company for not being able to motivate all these Herman cancers? Trap door coburn, Thompson is a piece of shit, starting walk-ons at LB…maybe sark ain’t the guy but year one ain’t a train wreck because of anything he could fucking control. Fuck Tom Herman 

Motivating players is a coach’s job. Almost every coach out there can motivate them to beat Kansas, no matter how terrible his roster. 

1 minute ago, mantis toboggan said:

How concerned should I be that the guy the head coach chose to go to the media day is now being trap doored? 

Good point. I think we have a lot of fake off-season leaders who lack the mental toughness to be a true leader on this team when the first sign of trouble pops up.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I realize I’m in the minority, but given the state of the OL room I wouldn’t be actively trying to get Tyler Johnson off the roster right now unless he’s actively having a negative influence on culture and chemistry.

If it’s more that he’s just going through the motions, I’d hope Sark and Kyle Flood have a one on one conversation with him about not only his commitment but the opportunity in front of him in the form of multiple starting OL spots open going into next year. I think you challenge him going into winter conditioning and spring ball to see if that motivates him to up his effort level. Either one or two guard spots are going to be open depending on how serious they are about moving Junior Angilau to center, and frankly TJ has a better profile for RT than pretty much anyone on the roster. If spring ball wraps up and he’s still not where he needs to be, then you move on, but to me Texas doesn’t have enough OL bodies that can be depended on for next season to not even try to make that work.

Have you ever managed an org or part of one? When you know someone isn’t a fit, empty the fucking chair. The longer they sit there taking up space, the more things fester for them, others and yourself. Meanwhile, the right person isn’t filling that role and isn’t getting trained to do so. 

If Sarkisian is actually cleaning house, and I am not giving his weak, dumb ass the benefit of the doubt that he is, then this is how you do it. Don’t want to play football? Get the fuck out. Need praise to sleep better at night? Fuck you, go home and play with your kids. Feel entitled to snaps because you graced the program by showing up? Call your mother and maybe talk to someone who gives a shit. Up or out motherfuckers. I don’t think Sarkisian has that kind of spine, but here’s hoping. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Herb Hand got crucified but Giles left the DL in similar shape. 

Without Ossai, our DL would have been straight trash last season. You could already see the regression with Coburn and Sweat. Outside of Ojomo, sometimes Collins, and I guess the FR there is nothing. 

44 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Giles was awful. The Collins and Broughton recruitments (which were favorable towards Texas to begin with) saved his ass or else he would have been a part of the staff purge in 2019. I can’t think of one guy he helped develop that was his own guy and not someone left over from the previous staff. Guys like Omenihu, Ford and Nelson were open with the fact that they didn’t feel prepared for the NFL under Giles.

38 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I said this in the coaching vs talent thread but the DL that Bo had in his 1 year at UTSA was much more talented than the DL he had this year at Texas. 

It’s not even particularly close either as that UTSA DL had a 1st rounder and another guy that keeps getting opportunities in the NFL. 

That’s just sad. 

Not saying I’m disagreeing with anything here, but it needs to be said that our defensive scheme is fucking stupid and does the DL no favors.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Not saying I’m disagreeing with anything here, but it needs to be said that our defensive scheme is fucking stupid and does the DL no favors.

No doubt, which is why the argument about getting “better” players is stupid. If we think running this back with PK and the same scheme and a few different players is going make things different next year, Sark will be using his get out of jail free card on PK after the Bama game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Missed that nugget. Ship has sailed if that’s the case. Where do I send you $9.95?
You don’t think some lazy motherfucker who doesn’t care about football being on a football scholarship has a negative influence on culture?

There’s a difference between quietly showing up and giving less than 100 percent and outwardly projecting discontent or lack of interest. One is salvageable, one isn’t. That’s all I was getting at, moot point now though.

Re: Broughton, don’t know what to think. He was always a project despite the high ranking and really shouldn’t have seen the field this year. In that sense I’m not sure it’s fair to call him a bust. On the flip side, he was awful this year and would have to improve significantly to simply be average.

Have you ever managed an org or part of one? When you know someone isn’t a fit, empty the fucking chair. The longer they sit there taking up space, the more things fester for them, others and yourself. Meanwhile, the right person isn’t filling that role and isn’t getting trained to do so. 
If Sarkisian is actually cleaning house, and I am not giving his weak, dumb ass the benefit of the doubt that he is, then this is how you do it. Don’t want to play football? Get the fuck out. Need praise to sleep better at night? Fuck you, go home and play with your kids. Feel entitled to snaps because you graced the program by showing up? Call your mother and maybe talk to someone who gives a shit. Up or out motherfuckers. I don’t think Sarkisian has that kind of spine, but here’s hoping. 

I don’t disagree with any of this. Honestly had no idea the situation had deteriorated to the point that he is/was already away from the team. That’s pretty cut and dry. Like I said above, difference between that and a kid who needs a push.

56 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Oh great....all the new pages I thought actual news had occurred.....

That solid Johnson jerk off session had me wishing we were back on the whats the best brand of mayonnaise or whatever the fuck we were talking about 200 pages ago

Edited by Zhorn96

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

Surly Let's Discuss!

Episode 2:  Defensive End Takes

Daniel Carson

Rob "Max" Cummings

Marqez Bimage

Michael Williams

Myron Warren

Peter Mpagi

... Thank God for Ossai

Bimage has had an outstanding season at Cal… wouldn’t mind having him around this season

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

1) Saban was told to shut the fuck up about Bryce Young’s money by his father the day Saban put it out there at the Texas high school coaches gathering. The next day, he was mum on the matter at SEC media days. Young’s father said he could play and make money anywhere and he didn’t need to be used as a Saban pawn for recruiting. Saban got religion pretty quickly.

2) That shit got out to coaches everywhere. There is a reluctance to talk about such matters because savvy parents and players don’t appreciate it. You guys may not like it, but Hudson Card is making 6 figures right now. You don’t hear about it, but recruits and such know these things. 

3) Oregon has been lapping the field on this stuff, way out ahead of OSU and others. Michigan, Texas, Miami, Notre Dame and others have all had as much get out there or publicized as the two schools you picked. Don’t p-hack the data to get the result you want. Your point is fine without posturing it in that way. 

4) As some of us have said the whole way, the NIL shit from Texas’ end started off with a face plant but it isn’t really behind anyone else besides Oregon. There is a very real argument to be made that Texas will have one of the biggest NIL stories so far and a blueprint for how you meet a payroll with our kind of power and money soon enough, in spite of UT’s best efforts to fuck it up. Not a done deal, but things are headed in the right direction on that front, at least.

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Pre-NSD1. If it gets done, it could be a floodgate opener across potentially every sport but starting with a key part of football. Just be patient and remember that this is going big or going home, and given what we've lived over the last 12 years, you have to give going home its due consideration.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

But, start Collins! Who cares about his effort in practice this fall! Some people who claim to get it one here don’t fucking get it. Yeah, Collins was obviously more talented than whoever was on the field in his place, but if the culture is going to change, a line has to be drawn and that line has to be held. You don’t create a tough culture by giving talent a pass on expectations. What happens when you have a room full of talent?

You earn playing time in practice. That's how you change the culture.

8 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah but have you seen PK's resume!!!!!!!! Give him time to get his guyz!!!!!!!!! WE NEED CONTINUITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never understood the Giles love by multiple Texas boards, especially his second stint here. I think it's because he coached under Mack.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I don't see anything in seven loss Steve's head coaching history that tells me he's the guy for this job but my gut tells me this. Who he is and his career make him more prepared and inspire more confidence than Charlie or Tom ever did when they took over this program.  That is a low bar and isn't saying much but it is progress even if the win/loss record says otherwise.  The odds are stacked against Steve but again something tells me this former drunk is still progress over Charlie and Tom.  Take that for what its worth but save starting from scratch, again, I'm left with no option but to hope this longshot motherfucker makes the decisions Charlie and Tom didn't after year one to right the ship.  We will soon see as time always tells.     

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1

Bobby:

After discussing it with Eric Nahlin and Gerry Hamilton over the last couple of weeks and months, there is something I really like about the defensive recruits on the front seven that Texas has attracted that I feel is worth mentioning.

Every single one of the defensive players Texas has gone after in the front seven are violent, physical football players. They’re not guys who are necessarily the perfect size or the bluest of blue chips, but they are all very physical, lunch-pail types. They are going to play through traffic and fight and do it physically.

It’s clear to me, after watching all of them, that Texas is identifying a different “type” on defense than they did under Tom Herman, or even under Charlie Strong and Mack Brown to some degree.

All of the players are physical guys who can move well.

I like the group as a whole because Texas struggles getting off of blocks, and other than Byron Murphy and perhaps Moro Ojomo and T’Vondre Sweat at times, Texas does not have very many what I’d term “violent” defenders up front.

Texas needs more OLs, DBs, disruptor on defense and a key WR in this class.

Adding Brenen Thompson helps the WR room but Texas needs another piece to the puzzle.

Harold Perkins is the type of player I’m talking about on defense, one who can make off-schedule plays because of his athleticism.

At DB, Texas really needs a true cover corner to pair with the group they have. I continue to believe BJ Allen may be the best overall player in this class.

I showed BJ’s film to a friend of mine who played for Texas in the 70s. He said he immediately thought of former Longhorn All-American and long-time pro Johnnie Johnson because of how easy he made the game look and because of his ability as a punt returner.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

get the right people on the bus, get the wrong people off the bus, and get the right people the right seats.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah but have you seen PK's resume!!!!!!!! Give him time to get his guyz!!!!!!!!! WE NEED CONTINUITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never understood the Giles love by multiple Texas boards, especially his second stint here. I think it's because he coached under Mack.

You post this goofy shit then post an article about recruiting DL who can actually fight off blocks and are violent because we don’t have any of those currently. Texas struggles getting off blocks but Bo Davis isn’t a problem right? It’s PK’s fault. Oh and no defense will ever be worth a fuck without a decent LB or two, and we don’t even have an average one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

Guilbeau

This surname translates loosely to "desire for fame." I like players who want to become famous, assuming the fame is for their play.

Guilbeau certainly isn't as elite as some other DBs we're chasing, but I'd be fine with him. Seems like a solid prospect with a good floor, and right now we need more of those...no matter who's coaching our defense.  

Edited by Gut Wagon

11 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

You post this goofy shit then post an article about recruiting DL who can actually fight off blocks and are violent because we don’t have any of those currently. Texas struggles getting off blocks but Bo Davis isn’t a problem right? It’s PK’s fault. Oh and no defense will ever be worth a fuck without a decent LB or two, and we don’t even have an average one. 

go back to bed pussy! fuck PK and fuck you!

20 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

go back to bed pussy! fuck PK and fuck you!

7D3A7AB5-EC1F-4BA3-BBCE-3E4C41DCC0E5.thumb.jpeg.23f9fb74b4acd3052f46065c6c3a044a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Motivating players is a coach’s job. Almost every coach out there can motivate them to beat Kansas, no matter how terrible his roster. 

I don’t think it’s all on the coaches to get the players motivated. They’re adults now, some of them are getting paid to be here, and all of them should want to be professionals. If they can’t motivate themselves to be successful, they shouldn’t be here. Tristan Thompson said this the other night and I think applies to football as well. 

Edited by TXRed
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Fragile little bitch lol. PK’s resume is good, the industry thinks he’s a great DC. Your opinion is garbage which is ok because this is a message board. 

Who gives a fuck about his resume. He’s coached one of the worst defenses in our programs history. You can take his resume , shine it up real really nice, turn that son of a bitch sideways, and shove it up your candy ass. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Fragile little bitch lol. PK’s resume is good, the industry thinks he’s a great DC. Your opinion is garbage which is ok because this is a message board. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who gives a fuck about his resume. He’s coached one of the worst defenses in our programs history. You can take his resume , shine it up real really nice, turn that son of a bitch sideways, and shove it up your candy ass. 

Can't you two see that you love each other!?!?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting