Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

30 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Y’all are fucking crazy, fire one of the better DC’s in college football after one year and start your 5th new defensive scheme since 2016. That’s your recipe for success? Who comes to this shit show after you pull that move? 

Who cares if it's a new scheme? Players come and go in college football so frequently and we are already talking about turning over 40% of the roster, so who gives a crap if it's PK teaching these new guys his shitty scheme or some new DC. There's only so many things you can do on the defensive side of the football from a playbook perspective, it isn't like we are going from a triple option team to a spread team to a west coast team in the span of 4 years.

You know what isn't a recipe for success? Thinking things are going to change because we have the same playbook for the second straight offseason and bring in a few new players. There is so much fundamentally wrong with this defense from a scheme, alignment and call perspective that it isn't even funny. 

Sark needs to have a come to Jesus meeting with PK Saturday morning and ask him how he plans to fix this crap. If PK's answer centers around personnel and the portal then his ass needs to be fired on the spot. PK needs to go back to the scheme and calls that got him here even if the personnel isn't exactly how he likes it, or he needs to be shown the door.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

He’s not in the shitty PAC-12 anymore. Say what you want about the Big 12, but the conference has innovative offenses, and PK clearly doesn’t know what to do with them.

This point is so fucking played out. It’s 2021 there is nothing overtly innovative about the Big 12 offenses compared to the PAC 12 or any other conference really anymore. Shit the NFL has even caught up to whatever “innovation” you think is going on. I’d argue this conference is improving defensively if anything. The dude also shut down Mike Fucking Leach who actually runs the innovative offense you seem to be referring to.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Lol at thinking Terry Joseph had anything to do with a kid we landed in Louisiana. He MAYBE assisted on Ronald Lewis but Tapp was all Harris, Hankton and Davis. Terry Joseph has done absolutely nothing on the recruiting trail, which shouldn't be surprising considering he did absolutely nothing at his previous stops including A&M.

I wonder why sark hired him?  Only connection I see is he sort of shut down Bama in the playoff game?  My guess is Sark wanted to hammer the state of Louisiana in recruiting and thought Terry could help.

Just now, closetohumping said:

I wonder why sark hired him?  Only connection I see is he sort of shut down Bama in the playoff game?  My guess is Sark wanted to hammer the state of Louisiana in recruiting and thought Terry could help.

I think the second sentence answers your first sentence.

I don't think he put together this staff with hopes of raiding Louisiana, it just worked out that a few of the guys ended up having connections there.

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Who cares if it's a new scheme? Players come and go in college football so frequently and we are already talking about turning over 40% of the roster, so who gives a crap if it's PK teaching these new guys his shitty scheme or some new DC. There's only so many things you can do on the defensive side of the football from a playbook perspective, it isn't like we are going from a triple option team to a spread team to a west coast team in the span of 4 years.

You know what isn't a recipe for success? Thinking things are going to change because we have the same playbook for the second straight offseason and bring in a few new players. There is so much fundamentally wrong with this defense from a scheme, alignment and call perspective that it isn't even funny. 

Sark needs to have a come to Jesus meeting with PK Saturday morning and ask him how he plans to fix this crap. If PK's answer centers around personnel and the portal then his ass needs to be fired on the spot. PK needs to go back to the scheme and calls that got him here even if the personnel isn't exactly how he likes it, or he needs to be shown the door.

They had 5 months to teach the scheme to players who according to recent stories were texting Tom herman still lol. I’m sure the buy in was genuine and those guys were all bought in on making this staff successful. Changing the DC every year without any fear because there’s turnover in college football is an awesome take. We should make it a banner. On to the next one, I bet if we run through 4 more in the next 4 years we will find the right one just as Traylor is hired. Haha 

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

They had 5 months to teach the scheme to players who according to recent stories were texting Tom herman still lol. I’m sure the buy in was genuine and those guys were all bought in on making this staff successful. Changing the DC every year without any fear because there’s turnover in college football is an awesome take. We should make it a banner. On to the next one, I bet if we run through 4 more in the next 4 years we will find the right one just as Traylor is hired. Haha 

You're right. Let's just keep a shitty DC just so we can say "continuity!" and wait til year 2 to fire him because a 4th DC in 5 years doesn't sound as bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I prefer to think the one shitty season was the outlier and not the decade of good to great defenses. But a change needs to made at some level, clearly. 

I would prefer to think that too, trust me. I am willing to give him another season but clearly something needs to change from a scheme perspective or maybe it's bringing in his preferred secondary coach. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know it is not just get better players and all of a sudden everything is fixed.

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

5 months isn't a very long time to teach and scheme and then implement it in a game time situation even if you have the right personnel. In prehistoric times in hoops, our main defense was a 1-3-1 zone. WE worked on that defense every day at practice for 4 years. It's not as easy as you think and you have to constantly make adjustments based on the personnel of the team that you are playing. If things don't improve next year. then that's when Sark and PK need to have a meeting of the minds.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You're right. Let's just keep a shitty DC just so we can say "continuity!" and wait til year 2 to fire him because a 4th DC in 5 years doesn't sound as bad.

There’s a dipshit around here that has the username “1 yard.” Our offense had 1 yard in the entire 4th quarter of a real football game. What was the defense having to do that entire quarter? Our offense is feast or famine. We love 3 and outs, like it’s our scheme sometimes. You take a lack of depth and mix it with an offense that goes 3 and out a lot…you’re fucked. It doesn’t matter who your coach is. 

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

There’s a dipshit around here that has the username “1 yard.” Our offense had 1 yard in the entire 4th quarter of a real football game. What was the defense having to do that entire quarter? Our offense is feast or famine. We love 3 and outs, like it’s our scheme sometimes. You take a lack of depth and mix it with an offense that goes 3 and out a lot…you’re fucked. It doesn’t matter who your coach is. 

Yes, that one game the offense let the defense down. When you look at the entire season, the defense has let the offense down way more.

I'm going to change my username to '57 points', because that's how many points PK allowed at home, to Kansas and a 3rd string QB.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

5 months isn't a very long time to teach and scheme and then implement it in a game time situation even if you have the right personnel. In prehistoric times in hoops, our main defense was a 1-3-1 zone. WE worked on that defense every day at practice for 4 years. It's not as easy as you think and you have to constantly make adjustments based on the personnel of the team that you are playing. If things don't improve next year. then that's when Sark and PK need to have a meeting of the minds.

The warning signs are already there. Sark already used the dreaded "I am going to get more involved with the defense" line and "I think I can provide some valuable input defensively".

If those type of things are already being said 10 games in, that is huge, huge, huge red flag.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Back to the mole stuff what’s that about? 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Have you watched Texas this year? 

Yes. And I don't see how people think the scheme is the problem. The conditioning? Possibly. Lack of continuity? Definitely. The players? Oh hell yes.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm going to change my username to '57 points', because that's how many points PK allowed at home, to Kansas and a 3rd string QB.

Yeah, because that happened in a vacuum.  The offense coughing it up four times, one leading directly to six of those points you're hanging on the defense, were not a factor on the score at all.  Not saying our defense wasn't horrible this year, but the kind of hyperbole you're spewing here serves no one.

Edited by TriStone
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The warning signs are already there. Sark already used the dreaded "I am going to get more involved with the defense" line and "I think I can provide some valuable input defensively".

If those type of things are already being said 10 games in, that is huge, huge, huge red flag.

That's why you give PK another year when he can start to coach some of his players who are coming to Texas because they have bought in. Quite often when a new coaching staff comes in, there can be can some push back by some of the current players.

19 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

There’s a dipshit around here that has the username “1 yard.” Our offense had 1 yard in the entire 4th quarter of a real football game. What was the defense having to do that entire quarter? Our offense is feast or famine. We love 3 and outs, like it’s our scheme sometimes. 

You also defend Sark and the offense.

Edited by Lonestar88

This is the also the worst the Big 12 has been QB wise in a long, long time. Oklahoma State, Baylor, West Virginia, Kansas and OU (at times) were scared of their own QB's and they took games out of their QB's hands so they wouldn't toss them away. Defensive Coordinators aren't having to be rocket scientist to at least slow down some of these offenses.

I've accepted that PK is probably coming back and that he had personnel issues this year but we didn't need him to be superman. A below average defense probably has us at 8 wins right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yes, that one game the offense let the defense down. When you look at the entire season, the defense has let the offense down way more.

We scored 10 points in the second half against Oklahoma, 7 against ok state, 9 in the second half of tcu, Baylor 10, 7 in the entire game at Iowa state…that’s not helping the defense out. Longer drives and fucking field goals more often and we win all those games. If you let the other team relentlessly pound your defense they are going to give in. Our defense blows but firing the DC before we start the rebuild is an awful fucking idea. 

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

You also defend Sark and the offense.

Yes I do, and he has shit to work on but his QB being a gaping pussy with a bitch ass sooner father merits a free pass. At this point I don’t care about better players as much as I do about different ones. Wr’s in street gangs, OL who want to be rappers and don’t like football. Fuck just bring in kids who want to play football and have a desire to get better. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

We scored 10 points in the second half against Oklahoma, 7 against ok state, 9 in the second half of tcu, Baylor 10, 7 in the entire game at Iowa state…that’s not helping the defense out. Longer drives and fucking field goals more often and we win all those games. If you let the other team relentlessly pound your defense they are going to give in. Our defense blows but firing the DC before we start the rebuild is an awful fucking idea. 

OU is on the defense. Offense had 6 possessions in the second half and went into scoring territory on 3 drives. In no way is that on the offense.. It was just shitty defense

OSU- you have a point

TCU- Texas had 1 3 and out. Drives of 3, 7, 12,7 and 12 plays. 12 was a TD score and the last 7 ended at the 1 TCU 1 yard line.Texas won the time of possession with 32.5 minutes.. Again not on the offense

Baylor- Texas didnt have single 3 and out in the second half. Scored on 2 of their first 4 drives. Last one doesnt really matter. Drives were 14 play--TD, 4 play - punt, 8 play -downs, 10 play FG... Baylor went 9 plays- TD (75 yards), 14 plays -TD (80 yards) , 3 plays TD (53 yards). Hard to say the offense left the defense out to dry. You need to force at least one punt for me to feel sorry for you. 

ISU was a trainwreck. 

50 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

How about we set a bar of we give a DC at least 1 year with at least 1 player he actually recruited to be on his team. I don't think that is too much for a DC to ask for.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

How about we set a bar of we give a DC at least 1 year with at least 1 player he actually recruited to be on his team. I don't think that is too much for a DC to ask for.

It's not too much to ask for, but most DC's would show some type of improvement in their first year even if it's not their own guys. A bright defensive mind would be able to have this defense improving in at least 1 small area as the season went along. Every single aspect of our defense and every single individual unit of our defense has regressed.

If the players were that bad PK shouldn't have taken this job in the first place and said it was a poor fit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Honest question. Of all the DCs we've fired since Diaz, which ones do you think we fired too soon/unjustly?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

If the players were that bad PK shouldn't have taken this job in the first place and said it was a poor fit.

Opinions on PK aside, not all coaches are taking a position based on the current talent pool unless all else is equal between their options. Coaches take on improvement projects.

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Opinions on PK aside, not all coaches are taking a position based on the current talent pool unless all else is equal between their options. Coaches take on improvement projects.

Fair, but in the first year of our improvement project all that was accomplished was a lot of long lunches by the crew and a few trips to the store to buy supplies.

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

57 points, to Kansas at home........a DC worth a shit could take 11 surly posters and not give up 57 points to Kansas.

I am so fucking tired of the "its the players not me" bullshit or the players arent a scheme fit. Fit your scheme to your player not vice versa. This defense got grossly worse as the season went on, they shut down a good Louisiana team in the opener and preceded to get fucking undressed by every single team including fucking Kansas (with the exception of Rice). There have been zero adjustments this year, not in game nor week to week. 57...to kansas...at home.... FIFTY SEVEN!!! Bitch about the players all you want but there need to be wholesale changes on defense or expect another season like this next year and Sark to be shown the fucking door the year after that.

we gave up 48 the previous time they played in Austin.. and that was without a pick 6 and OT. Fired Orlando after the season, think PK is about to follow that same chain of events

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

57 points, to Kansas at home........a DC worth a shit could take 11 surly posters and not give up 57 points to Kansas.

I am so fucking tired of the "its the players not me" bullshit or the players arent a scheme fit. Fit your scheme to your player not vice versa. This defense got grossly worse as the season went on, they shut down a good Louisiana team in the opener and preceded to get fucking undressed by every single team including fucking Kansas (with the exception of Rice). There have been zero adjustments this year, not in game nor week to week. 57...to kansas...at home.... FIFTY SEVEN!!! Bitch about the players all you want but there need to be wholesale changes on defense or expect another season like this next year and Sark to be shown the fucking door the year after that.

I think only the zealots are saying its JUST players or even ALL the coaches. Its the internet, so I recognize that 99% of opinions need to be on the extremes of any debate. Though I will take that Surly vs Kansas bet if I can pick the 11 posters. I dont agree there have been 0 adjustments, I think that is a Surly meme. PK eventually pulled his head out of his ass and put Collins at DE. OSU was the introduction of a true 3-4 in an attempt to stop the run. I saw a lot more man and bringing LBs vs WV. There have been adjustments, there has not been an adjustment that has worked for more than a quarter of play. There is just something that went terribly wrong with the defense. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the locker room to know what it was. It is more than scheme and talent. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

It seems like in the past when our defense would become the "worst in school history" and we brought someone in to fix it,  see Gerg and then Ash,  what they did is simplify the defense and went back to fundamentals.  

When they have the basics down and can play fast build off of that and become more sophisticated.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Laga4 said:

It seems like in the past when our defense would become the "worst in school history" and we brought someone in to fix it,  see Gerg and then Ash,  what they did is simplify the defense and went back to fundamentals.  

When they have the basics down and can play fast build off of that and become more sophisticated.  

Ash didnt really fix much of anything. The legend of ASh has been built up from playing 2 teams without a QB the last 2 games and this season's incompetence. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Ash didnt really fix much of anything. The legend of ASh has been built up from playing 2 teams without a QB the last 2 games and this season's incompetence. 

Yep. And he got his Kansas game out of the way early when he gave up a billion yards to Tech in game 2.

He had Texas playing solid run defense in the middle of the year but a big reason for that was the schedule becoming light.

Sure, he might have this defense playing better right now (hard to get any worse), but he’s not God. 

33 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Honest question. Of all the DCs we've fired since Diaz, which ones do you think we fired too soon/unjustly?

We fired Diaz after the BYU ass raping, Greg Robinson went with Mack, we let Bedford stay until strong was fired, we fired Orlando correctly although I don’t think we should have hired him to begin with so there’s that, and we didn’t retain Ash. We have a terrible coaching history honestly and this is a rebuild. Ground up rebuild. I think it’s too soon to fire a DC who has a solid history of good defenses. That’s all. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

We are not a physical defense.  That is one problem.  Even though Bama was toasting Arkansas through the air Arkansas never stopped laying the wood.  We don’t fucking do that because our players are pussies.  

really makes you wonder what would have happened if Texas hired Odom

20 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

You need to show your work, and not just rage-type on the keyboard.

I grant that rage-typing and raging on the podcast is literally your job now, but to actually make correct decisions - something this program is painfully lacking - you have to show your work. Point out how the evidence shows your point is real, and you need to account for ALL the evidence, not just the stuff that supports your pet theory.

In fact, to make the right decision, you have to forget your theory, start with the evidence, keep collecting it until you have all of it, then see what the evidence in totality points to.

I think once you do that, you won't merely give PK "a pass," you'll find he's actually doing very well given the shit hand he's been dealt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

There's definitely been some revisionist history re: Ash, as I remember people posting the screencap of the terrible defensive alignment that allowed Duggan to score untouched at the end of the TCU game when arguing that Ash shouldn't be retained

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

really makes you wonder what would have happened if Texas hired Odom

Well, this is year 2 for Odom and he got buttfucked a few times in year 1.  We’ve been skullfucked a few times this year, but not as badly as Arkansas last year.  I think the best course is to cleanse this program of the malcontents.  I also would not let Casey start another game if any of the shit that has been said so far this year is true.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

In fact, to make the right decision, you have to forget your theory, start with the evidence, keep collecting it until you have all of it, then see what the evidence in totality points to.

Umm, this ain't a law school class, buddy.

This is the real (internet) world where I can make any argument I want and just call someone dumb as shit if they dont agree with my professional football opinion that I type at a cubicle getting paid for something totally unrelated to football.  You are a fucking moron if you don't agree with this post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting