Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

14 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You need to show your work, and not just rage-type on the keyboard.

I grant that rage-typing and raging on the podcast is literally your job now, but to actually make correct decisions - something this program is painfully lacking - you have to show your work. Point out how the evidence shows your point is real, and you need to account for ALL the evidence, not just the stuff that supports your pet theory.

In fact, to make the right decision, you have to forget your theory, start with the evidence, keep collecting it until you have all of it, then see what the evidence in totality points to.

I think once you do that, you won't merely give PK "a pass," you'll find he's actually doing very well given the shit hand he's been dealt.

This reads like parody. I’m going to assume it is for my own sanity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I grant that rage-typing and raging on the podcast is literally your job now, but to actually make correct decisions - something this program is painfully lacking - you have to show your work. Point out how the evidence shows your point is real, and you need to account for ALL the evidence, not just the stuff that supports your pet theory.

In fact, to make the right decision, you have to forget your theory, start with the evidence, keep collecting it until you have all of it, then see what the evidence in totality points to.

I think once you do that, you won't merely give PK "a pass," you'll find he's actually doing very well given the shit hand he's been dealt.

image.png.711842ba9582df71ff4ceaac62a16dcc.png

Here ya go! I showed my work! Ya, he is doing SOOOOOOOOO well lol! What are you talking about dude? He has given up 27 or more points in all buy 2 games this season, one of those being Rice. I also have watched with my own eyeballs this defense get fucking TORCHED. Want stats instead?

-Texas currently ranks 105th our of 130 FBS teams in Opp Pts/G at 32.4ppg

-They are currently allowing 439 yards per game 

-They are currently allowing 6.1 yards per play 

-This vaunted rush defense that PK has coached so well is allowing over 200 rushing yards per game (5.1 per carry) (There are only 17 teams allowing more per game)

-Good thing the pass defense is so awesome allowing a 67.5% completion percentage. For reference this % would be the 18th highest in the country if thrown by a single passer (There are only ten teams with a worse completion% against)

There I showed my work and I am still rage typing on the keyboard. Just cause I am pissed doesn't mean I don't know what the fuck I am talking about. Any you should be fucking pissed too. This may be your standard but it isn't mine

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

-This vaunted rush defense that PK has coached so well is allowing over 200 rushing yards per game (5.1 per carry) (There are only 17 teams allowing more per game)

-Good thing the pass defense is so awesome allowing a 67.5% completion percentage. For reference this % would be the 18th highest in the country if thrown by a single passer (There are only ten teams with a worse completion% against)

There I showed my work and I am still rage typing on the keyboard. Just cause I am pissed doesn't mean I don't know what the fuck I am talking about. Any you should be fucking pissed too. This may be your standard but it isn't mine

....is that bad?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I think you went too far on this one. The defense is bad. PK is responsible for this defense, so PK can not have done a good job. You can argue there are mitigating factors that help explain why we are seeing this disaster, but you cant argue he has done a good job. I am of the belief that the blame is shared on the players and the coaches. There is not an innocent member on that side of the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 5

43 minutes ago, NoName said:

really makes you wonder what would have happened if Texas hired Odom

Does it?

After watching this team for the last 10 years, I have to assume had Odom been hired, he would've totally shit the bed and finished the season with the worst defense in CFB. Doesn't really seem to matter who we hire, TBH.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Recruiting news: Jordan Hudson decommits from SMU

"IT believes TCU, Texas and possibly Texas A&M are the schools in contention for the elite playmaker."

"Where Samples ends up will be the answer."

"If UT materializes as an option for Samples we anticipate that will be his new home."

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

57 points, to Kansas at home........a DC worth a shit could take 11 surly posters and not give up 57 points to Kansas.

I am so fucking tired of the "its the players not me" bullshit or the players arent a scheme fit. Fit your scheme to your player not vice versa. This defense got grossly worse as the season went on, they shut down a good Louisiana team in the opener and preceded to get fucking undressed by every single team including fucking Kansas (with the exception of Rice). There have been zero adjustments this year, not in game nor week to week. 57...to kansas...at home.... FIFTY SEVEN!!! Bitch about the players all you want but there need to be wholesale changes on defense or expect another season like this next year and Sark to be shown the fucking door the year after that.

You should consider changing your name to 57 points.  Trust me. It will be very therapeutic.  

16 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

"IT believes TCU, Texas and possibly Texas A&M are the schools in contention for the elite playmaker."

"Where Samples ends up will be the answer."

"If UT materializes as an option for Samples we anticipate that will be his new home."

So is it safe to say that IT sees it in the stars and that it might make sense for both parties?

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yes, that one game the offense let the defense down. When you look at the entire season, the defense has let the offense down way more.

I'm going to change my username to '57 points', because that's how many points PK allowed at home, to Kansas and a 3rd string QB.

It was 50 points with another 22 coming from offensive TOs and OT.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

This is the also the worst the Big 12 has been QB wise in a long, long time. Oklahoma State, Baylor, West Virginia, Kansas and OU (at times) were scared of their own QB's and they took games out of their QB's hands so they wouldn't toss them away. Defensive Coordinators aren't having to be rocket scientist to at least slow down some of these offenses.

I've accepted that PK is probably coming back and that he had personnel issues this year but we didn't need him to be superman. A below average defense probably has us at 8 wins right now.

And yet Texas has one of the worst QB rooms in the conference. With a below average defense and a below average OL and WR rooms, Texas would still be bowl eligible with a better QB than Thompson or Card.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

And yet Texas has one of the worst QB rooms in the conference. With a below average defense and a below average OL and WR rooms, Texas would still be bowl eligible with a better QB than Thompson or Card.

I wish our defense was below average. We'd probably have 8 wins if that was the case. 

Both the defense and QB position has been terrible. There's no denying that. One side of the ball though has played well in spurts and has shown potential. The other has been a steaming pile of garbage the entire year with no signs of life.

• Hook 'Em 3

It's not too much to ask for, but most DC's would show some type of improvement in their first year even if it's not their own guys. A bright defensive mind would be able to have this defense improving in at least 1 small area as the season went along. Every single aspect of our defense and every single individual unit of our defense has regressed.

If the players were that bad PK shouldn't have taken this job in the first place and said it was a poor fit.

If you are competitive even as a coach, you live for a challenge like this. You don't walk away due to football reasons.

Until proven otherwise, it's still no different than many of us said in mid-October: We're a team of overrated, underdeveloped players who are being coached haphazardly. Throw in a lack of player leaders and depth, and this is what you can expect for results. No point in letting any single unit, player or coach shoulder all the blame, as there's more than enough to go around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Recruiting news: Jordan Hudson decommits from SMU

And Chance Biddle..Weren’t we pretty high for him. We definitely need Safety’s in this class also

Harris

Gilbeaux 

Allen 

Jordan

Lewis

Biddle 

L.T Gooden 

imo is a solid DB haul. 

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

57 points, to Kansas at home........a DC worth a shit could take 11 surly posters and not give up 57 points to Kansas.

This is all bullshit. First, at least two of those scores were on the offense, a pick six and a fumble in scoring position (thanks Card). Secondly, you couldn’t find 11 surly posters that could play more than one series.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Mike at Night

Spoiler

— Texas will host its final game of the season this week when Kansas State comes to Austin. With the game on Black Friday and several big playoff matchups still happening around the state, we don't anticipate a huge group of recruits. Klein Cain wide receiver Matthew Golden is expected to be in Austin before making the trip to Baylor on Saturday. Texas will have the chance to really focus in on Golden for a big unofficial before bringing him back in December for an official visit. The recruiting department has been hard at work trying to sell the future of this program in the face of poor results on the season, and they are gearing up for a frenetic close on the recruiting trail. Here are a few notes we've picked up heading into Thanksgiving.

— I checked with a source on LSU transfer cornerback Elias Ricks. Texas would definitely be interested in the former five-star, but it might not get too far. It sounds like Ricks is looking to stay within the SEC, but the scope of teams he will consider might be pretty narrow. I'm working on digging up more information on Ricks, but he's pretty private when it comes to his recruiting. I expect Texas to try and get into the race, but I'm not sure how much consideration he will give to the Longhorns.

— Four-star Ohio State commit Terrance Brooks was considering a visit to Texas this week, but he and his family will be staying home. As a source close to the situation told me, Terrance would rather play than watch any more games. Texas remains in contact and would like to get Brooks back on campus for a visit as they try to flip him from Ohio State. I was told that if a visit happened, it would come after the season and probably be pretty quiet if it happens. We will see how things play out, but Texas will have to get Brooks back on campus to have any chance at landing him.

— I checked in with a source regarding four-star cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau, and I still feel good about my Crystal Ball for the former Longhorn commit to end up back in the class. I still think something could happen soon in that regard. A commitment from Guilbeau would give Texas another Top-200 player adding to what the No. 7 class in the nation already holds. Guilbeau would be the eighth highest-ranked prospect in the class, and his commitment would put Texas two points away from Ohio State who sits in front of them at No. 6.

— I caught up earlier today with four-star quarterback Devin Brown to get the latest on his recruitment. Texas is still in strong standing, but Ohio State put up a big fight when they hosted him last weekend for a visit. Some close to the recruitment thought Texas had a comfortable lead, but the gap may be closing. Texas has a great path to playing time in their favor where Ohio State has a much more stacked depth chart at the position. That could be a key component in the race for the coveted passer.

— There was a mass exodus from SMU as several former commits defected in a matter of minutes. The headliner of that group was Jordan Hudson, but it signified that hotshot recruiter Ra'Shaad Samples is moving on. Several schools are vying for his services, but there is some expectation he ends up at TCU if Sonny Dykes accepts that position. That is, unless, there is a massive bidding war and a big contract with a big title is given out. On the Hudson front, it will be heavily tied to where Samples ends up, but a source I spoke with near the Garland wide receiver expects him to end up at TCU as of right now. Texas might try to make a move, but I was told that it might be a waste of time at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, 60HornStampede said:

@Getafix anything from 247’s tidbits before Thanksgiving on the recruiting front?

Looks like Dummy got you.

SIAP - a note on Devin Brown ... 

Spoiler

Four-star QB Devin Brown opens up on Texas, recruiting process

MIKE ROACH

Devin Brown's recruitment is heating up.

The four-star quarterback from Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon just concluded his final visit to Ohio State, and the USC commit has several options on the table to consider. Texas is hoping to be one of those options. The Longhorns offered Brown during the fall and are pursuing him as the second quarterback in this class. Brown made an official visit to Austin when the Longhorns played Kansas, and he said the experience was great.

"Overall it was really great," Brown said. "I really enjoyed my time in Austin. The town was really great and it was great to meet the coaches in person. Obviously, the game didn't go as they wanted it to, but it was still a really good experience."

The struggles on the field for the Longhorns have been well-documented this year. As Steve Sarkisian finds himself in the middle of a long losing streak, recruits still have faith. Brown said he sees that the system works, but it could just take time to get there.

"Definitely," he said. "Coach Sark has proved himself years upon years that his system really works. That's not the issue at all."

Even though they offered late, Texas has been able to gain strong footing with Brown. AJ Milwee and Steve Sarkisian stay in contact often, and both sides are invested in building a strong relationship.

"They are just great people," he said. "I love my conversations with them. I've built a really good relationship with them over these last few weeks. I talk to coach Milwee probably two to three times every week and the same with coach Sark. It's been good. They are really all in on me and the conversations just about football have been really good along with their plans for me and plans for development, so it's been really good."

Brown's recruitment will now get a little tricky. He'd like to see who the potential replacement for Clay Helton is at USC where he's currently committed, and he will also be watching to see where Trojans' offensive coordinator Graham Harrell ends up. He might not have the luxury of time as an early enrollee planning to sign in December.

"Obviously I sign the 15th, so definitely before that," he said. "I don't want to take it down to the wire, so definitely sooner rather than later. There's no set date. I just flew back to Arizona yesterday to be with my family. We will be having some good conversations about everything and kind of work some things out to get this thing rolling."

At 6-foot-3, 189 pounds, Brown is ranked as the No. 5 quarterback in the country and No. 1 player in Utah, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Looks like Dummy got you.

SIAP - a note on Devin Brown ... 

Reveal hidden contents

Four-star QB Devin Brown opens up on Texas, recruiting process

MIKE ROACH

Devin Brown's recruitment is heating up.

The four-star quarterback from Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon just concluded his final visit to Ohio State, and the USC commit has several options on the table to consider. Texas is hoping to be one of those options. The Longhorns offered Brown during the fall and are pursuing him as the second quarterback in this class. Brown made an official visit to Austin when the Longhorns played Kansas, and he said the experience was great.

"Overall it was really great," Brown said. "I really enjoyed my time in Austin. The town was really great and it was great to meet the coaches in person. Obviously, the game didn't go as they wanted it to, but it was still a really good experience."

The struggles on the field for the Longhorns have been well-documented this year. As Steve Sarkisian finds himself in the middle of a long losing streak, recruits still have faith. Brown said he sees that the system works, but it could just take time to get there.

"Definitely," he said. "Coach Sark has proved himself years upon years that his system really works. That's not the issue at all."

Even though they offered late, Texas has been able to gain strong footing with Brown. AJ Milwee and Steve Sarkisian stay in contact often, and both sides are invested in building a strong relationship.

"They are just great people," he said. "I love my conversations with them. I've built a really good relationship with them over these last few weeks. I talk to coach Milwee probably two to three times every week and the same with coach Sark. It's been good. They are really all in on me and the conversations just about football have been really good along with their plans for me and plans for development, so it's been really good."

Brown's recruitment will now get a little tricky. He'd like to see who the potential replacement for Clay Helton is at USC where he's currently committed, and he will also be watching to see where Trojans' offensive coordinator Graham Harrell ends up. He might not have the luxury of time as an early enrollee planning to sign in December.

"Obviously I sign the 15th, so definitely before that," he said. "I don't want to take it down to the wire, so definitely sooner rather than later. There's no set date. I just flew back to Arizona yesterday to be with my family. We will be having some good conversations about everything and kind of work some things out to get this thing rolling."

At 6-foot-3, 189 pounds, Brown is ranked as the No. 5 quarterback in the country and No. 1 player in Utah, according to 247Sports Composite.

He just decommitted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RGBIII said:

image.png.711842ba9582df71ff4ceaac62a16dcc.png

Here ya go! I showed my work! Ya, he is doing SOOOOOOOOO well lol! What are you talking about dude? He has given up 27 or more points in all buy 2 games this season, one of those being Rice. I also have watched with my own eyeballs this defense get fucking TORCHED. Want stats instead?

So, our defense is bad. But you still haven't made any connection between it being bad and the scheme they're being coached. If Nick Saban himself had his team replaced with elderly blind ladies, you'd see far worse statistics; would you blame him for that?

You're blathering. You're basically Ketch with morals right now. Upgrade.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting