Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On the Zoom call yesterday, Sarkisian mentioned that the Texas roster is a bit heavy on WRs and has major gaps at DE. Sounds like there will be some correction put on both of those. 

We have 15 WRs as of now for the 2021 season? I guess I haven’t looked. That seems like a lot. Is that including clowns like Epps and Kai Money?

think we will have some major attrition after the spring practices.. I don't think Sark will be big on having 7 WR player rotations every week.  He's gonna ride his best players on every series.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

think we will have some major attrition after the spring practices.. I don't think Sark will be big on having 7 WR player rotations every week.  He's gonna ride his best players on every series.

Who are thinking will be the main guys?  Moore, Whittington, and Smith?  Maybe Washington and Omeire if he comes back healthy?

No more Schooler and Money IMO.

Is Harrison coming back?

Have think if guys like Woodard and Lewis aren't on the 2 deep they may portal out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Who are thinking will be the main guys?  Moore, Whittington, and Smith?  Maybe Washington and Omeire if he comes back healthy?

Is Harrison coming back?

Have think if guys like Woodard and Lewis aren't on the 2 deep they may portal out.

Yeah, I think it Moore, Whittington, and Smith are for sure at the top.  Omeire, Washington, and (hopefully) Worthy make strides to push that top group.  Woodard, Lewis, Money, Schooler all need a terrific Spring.  If not then I can see them take their talents to the portal or maybe work their asses off on ST.

40 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Harrison coming back?

Gerry Hamilton said he wouldn’t be surprised if Jaden Alexis came in and made an immediate impact. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

So why did Sark hire Joseph if he's so terrible??

Is this a serious question? No coach is immune from making a bad hire, that includes Sark.

Maybe he improved a ton at Notre Dame, but (a) losing the Brandon Jones recruitment and (b) deciding that Larry Pryor and Justin Dunning were worth prioritizing over DeShon Elliott are two things that stick out from his time at A&M.

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Is this a serious question? No coach is immune from making a bad hire, that includes Sark.

Maybe he improved a ton at Notre Dame, but (a) losing the Brandon Jones recruitment and (b) deciding that Larry Pryor and Justin Dunning were worth prioritizing over DeShon Elliott are two things that stick out from his time at A&M.

That’s revisionist history. If we’d have ever had a shot with Pryor or Dunning, we’d have taken them and jacked off about it. They wound up sucking, but they were guys everyone wanted. 

I don’t see an issue with the hire. I know that pits me against golfclap’s worldview, but I can live with that. Same situation with Drayton. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

On the Zoom call yesterday, Sarkisian mentioned that the Texas roster is a bit heavy on WRs and has major gaps at DE. Sounds like there will be some correction put on both of those. 

We have 15 WRs as of now for the 2021 season? I guess I haven’t looked. That seems like a lot. Is that including clowns like Epps and Kai Money?

I just went through and looked, it appears to be scholarship players if you include the incoming 2021 class. It definitely seems overweighted and I could see a culling after spring practice happening down to 12 or so. Compare that with 8 or 9 DEs depending on how you use guys like Vernon Broughton or Alfred Collins, 3 of which are incoming freshmen and 2 or 3 more RS freshmen and sophomores. Scheme wise we may be in for a lot of 3 man front next year unless we can find some depth in the portal. Maybe Arnett should be our target after all at DC. The only two guys I see on the roster with any hope of being a true pass rusher from that position are Peter Mpagi and Myron Warren.

Edited by Vertigo

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Saty overreacting to my question??

HaHaHaHa... now I feel even better about the Joseph hire  😋

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Scheme wise we may be in for a lot of 3 man front next year unless we can find some depth in the portal. Maybe Arnett should be our target after all at DC. The only two guys I see on the roster with any hope of being a true pass rusher from that position are Peter Mpagi and Myron Warren.

Not sure if Mpagi will be able to return to football from his medical issues... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

major gaps at DE

I have to think Sark views Sanders as an early contributor there. Super tough to play on both sides of the ball, but with Wiley due to break out, I suspect they see Sanders helping more on D than O in the short term. Then again, I don't know anything. 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So why did Sark hire Joseph if he's so terrible??

I don’t know — even great coaches have hired terrible coaches. The list of useless fucks that have coached for great coaches is long and indistinguished. there are scores of terrible coaches that have worked for Saban and Belichick. 

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s revisionist history. If we’d have ever had a shot with Pryor or Dunning, we’d have taken them and jacked off about it. They wound up sucking, but they were guys everyone wanted. 

I don’t see an issue with the hire. I know that pits me against golfclap’s worldview, but I can live with that. Same situation with Drayton. 

And we all fucking know that @satyanash was no doubt crying at the time about losing those two guys to A&M.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mike Farrell has a Rivals update on Evan Stewart.

Spoiler

There were some rumors of the WR committing to Texas because a commitment video leaked but I talked to him and he said he’s “kind of close but not really” to committing to a school and then said he was going to take his time. He told me he hasn’t talked to Sark yet but he has his interest. Personally I think Texas leads here if he likes Sark and what he’s saying and a commit like this would have Ewers looking back at Texas some more. But for now it’s a holding pattern.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Hide contents

There were some rumors of the WR committing to Texas because a commitment video leaked but I talked to him and he said he’s “kind of close but not really” to committing to a school and then said he was going to take his time. He told me he hasn’t talked to Sark yet but he has his interest. Personally I think Texas leads here if he likes Sark and what he’s saying and a commit like this would have Ewers looking back at Texas some more. But for now it’s a holding pattern.

On 247 his 3 "warm" schools were schools were Bama, Oregon, and UT. Banks was his lead recruiter at Bama. Coleman for us. That seems good.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Hide contents

jesus i lost brain cells reading this shit

1 hour ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Perfect! He looks like the kind of receiver that Herman passed on because they weren't slow and 6'4". 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sark's Bama offense didn't often substitute the first team receivers out until the game was well out of hand, and he rarely went 10 or 00 personnel (4 or 5 WRs); he'd actually go two TEs or two RBs more often than 10 personnel. With at most three WRs on the field most of the time, and with only four or maybe five guys playing those three spots, arguably the roster allocation of WRs should be smaller than in the past. 

For various reasons, Herman struggled to fill his classes with elite WRs. He'd land one here or there like Whittington or Bru, but for the most part, he'd miss on guys to Bama, Ohio State, OU, LSU, A&M, and even fucking TCU, and to make up for that, he'd throw numbers at the position later in the cycle (including taking two fucking JAGs as transfers). So now we have too many WRs who won't be difference making contributors anytime soon or ever, and a handful of the ones who make a difference could leave after next year (Moore, Whittington, Smith). 

So the fix is to take fewer WRs in 2022, right?

I actually don't think so. I think you take as many studs as possible (4-5) in 2022 to finally fix this position going forward since the real issue isn't raw numbers but a lack of elite talent that'll likely be around for more than one year, and then you can start taking 2-3 elite guys per class once the position group is stabilized. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sark's Bama offense didn't often substitute the first team receivers out until the game was well out of hand, and he rarely went 10 or 00 personnel (4 or 5 WRs); he'd actually go two TEs or two RBs more often than 10 personnel. With at most three WRs on the field most of the time, and with only four or maybe five guys playing those three spots, arguably the roster allocation of WRs should be smaller than in the past. 

For various reasons, Herman struggled to fill his classes with elite WRs. He'd land one here or there like Whittington or Bru, but for the most part, he'd miss on guys to Bama, Ohio State, OU, LSU, A&M, and even fucking TCU, and to make up for that, he'd throw numbers at the position later in the cycle (including taking two fucking JAGs as transfers). So now we have too many WRs who won't be difference making contributors anytime soon or ever, and a handful of the ones who make a difference could leave after next year (Moore, Whittington, Smith). 

I actually don't think so. I think you take as many studs as possible (4-5) in 2022 to finally fix this position going forward since the real issue isn't raw numbers but a lack of elite talent that'll likely be around for more than one year, and then you can start taking 2-3 elite guys per class once the position group is stabilized. 

So many WR's. So few of the right ones. I'll take 4 or 5 top flight guys if they want to come

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yeah, this seems like the right strategy. I also think they need to push many of the mediocrities into really uncomfortable spots, whether that is forcing Epps to bang around with a hand down or give DE a go, or making the rest of the dregs give it a go at need spots in the secondary or bust their ass for PT on special teams. 

That way you either get lucky or you get rid of detritus. 

Edited by closetojumping

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Can't remember, but isn't Klubnik an aggy legacy/aggy fan or something like that?  Hard to believe Jimbo hasn't offered this kid yet.

He’s a legacy, but supposedly isn’t a diehard A&M fan, and isn’t an A&M lock unless they prioritize him asap and Clemson doesn’t 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting