Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Has the staff reached out to Guilbeau yet?  Roach keeps saying he thinks he'll eventually open his recruitment back up.

I haven't heard anything . I hope that is more an issue of the transition and the need to communicate with his new coach.

4 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

I haven't heard anything . I hope that is more an issue of the transition and the need to communicate with his new coach.

When Darth Negative Recruiting himself Fat Pat is the offer that immediately drops as soon as the staff flips, I think you can guess who's in his ear.

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

WTF does this 

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So how does this help TEXAS recruit LBs??

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So how does this help TEXAS recruit LBs??

image.jpeg

This is the biggest issue with this hire. It will hurt recruiting at the position significantly. 

As someone who watched Mike Stoops and his defenses closely during his time at Oklahoma, I'm amazed that Sark would bring him to UT as LB coach.

MIke did great when paired with Venables during his first run at OU. His Arizona defenses were mediocre so bringing him back was at best weird. OU had an immediate drop off in defense when he returned that you all witnessed. He should have been let go after the 2017 season, but Riley didn't feel empowered to do that after his first season as head coach.

Specifically regarding LB play, OU had a history of good to great LB play under Bob Stoop/Venables (Brent coached LB) that eroded during Mike's second run. Mike brought Tim Kish with him from Arizona to coach LB and kept him on through the seven years. The fact that LB play was so terrible, and Mike did nothing astounded me (and many Sooner fans).

Mike knows a lot about defensive football. There are so many "buts" after this. But he thinks bullying players works, but he can't stick to a system, but he doesn't deal well with media. Mostly it's the first "but," players don't like him and don't want to play for him. I lost respect for him as a person when I heard so many player say negative things about him.

I was really impressed by UT's hire of Coach K as DC. During the 2018 DC search at OU, I was hoping he'd come to Norman as DL or DC coach. I hope Mike's gotten a lot of HR training at Alabama which'll pay off in better treatment of players in Austin. Otherwise, his behavior could undermine what UT's building.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, quigley said:

As someone who watched Mike Stoops and his defenses closely during his time at Oklahoma, I'm amazed that Sark would bring him to UT as LB coach.

MIke did great when paired with Venables during his first run at OU. His Arizona defenses were mediocre so bringing him back was at best weird. OU had an immediate drop off in defense when he returned that you all witnessed. He should have been let go after the 2017 season, but Riley didn't feel empowered to do that after his first season as head coach.

Specifically regarding LB play, OU had a history of good to great LB play under Bob Stoop/Venables (Brent coached LB) that eroded during Mike's second run. Mike brought Tim Kish with him from Arizona to coach LB and kept him on through the seven years. The fact that LB play was so terrible, and Mike did nothing astounded me (and many Sooner fans).

Mike knows a lot about defensive football. There are so many "buts" after this. But he thinks bullying players works, but he can't stick to a system, but he doesn't deal well with media. Mostly it's the first "but," players don't like him and don't want to play for him. I lost respect for him as a person when I heard so many player say negative things about him.

I was really impressed by UT's hire of Coach K as DC. During the 2018 DC search at OU, I was hoping he'd come to Norman as DL or DC coach. I hope Mike's gotten a lot of HR training at Alabama which'll pay off in better treatment of players in Austin. Otherwise, his behavior could undermine what UT's building.

Don’t worry. Mike Stoops is also wildly disliked and has been a cancer at Alabama. Nothing has changed. 

15 minutes ago, quigley said:

Sounds like it's not happening. Gonna need to make a fresh batch of koolaid after vomiting up everything from the last week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

I'd say we're fucked if this was ever close to happening.

Coaches have blindspots for people they know.  Sark and Stoops have faced some similar demons...I can see there being a bond.   But him actually listening to the response and realizing this wasn't going to work(if that is what happened) is vast improvement over his predecessors...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Thank God.

I wonder if there was no truth to this at all, or if it was true, but the backlash was so big that Sark relented.

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I'd say we're fucked if this was ever close to happening.

This. This right here is the correct understanding of the situation as well as the takeaways everyone should have moving forward. This motherfucker had a deal in place and they were going to ram it in like like a burglar on a Friday news dump. It is about as poor a reflection on the judgement of Sark, but worse, CDC, as we can have at this juncture. CDC should have squashed this weeks ago...why you ask? well...

6 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Superk doesn't know if it's accurate or not, but he is being told it was greenlit last night and then the reaction blew it up......

I think they may have been floating it to see reaction.  Who knows. 

Because this shit was floated weeks ago. This shit has been floated by Sark and CDC literally 2-3 times, at least twice before last night. And they got the same motherfucking feedback every single time from boosters. They already HAD their fucking reaction, and they tried to do it anyway. The only reason this won't happen is because someone at Alabama (probably someone who fucking hates Mike Stoops, because that's fucking everyone) leaked the info early and boosters once again lost their fucking minds on our Athletic Department and University contacts. That's it. They had the reaction weeks ago, they didn't like it, so they made some good hires and tried to slip it in again. That isn't testing the waters. It's deliberate Charlie Strong/Shawn Watson subterfuge because everyone thinks they know better than highly successful people who get shit done for a living, just not at football.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Don’t worry. Mike Stoops is also wildly disliked and has been a cancer at Alabama. Nothing has changed. 

As a Sooner fan, I very much enjoy Longhorn tears. I especially love them during October after OU annually inches closer to leveling the OU-UT series.

But I do not love them at all cost. I'd view a hire of Mike Stoops as validating his brand of demeaning behavior in the coaching ranks. OU kept him around for too long, long after his behavior should've been tolerated. Nepotism saved him during his second stint at OU. He shouldn't get another job because of it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, quigley said:

As a Sooner fan, I very much enjoy Longhorn tears. I especially love them during October after OU annually inches closer to leveling the OU-UT series.

But I do not love them at all cost. I'd view a hire of Mike Stoops as validating his brand of demeaning behavior in the coaching ranks. OU kept him around for too long, long after his behavior should've been tolerated. Nepotism saved him during his second stint at OU. He shouldn't get another job because of it.

This is a good post (taking soonerdom into account with the first sentence) and you should feel good

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, quigley said:

I'm all for second chances, especially when a guy rehabs himself and works his way back up the ladder, but there are some lines you just do not cross. FSU will never hire a Spurrier. Oklahoma will never hire a Brown. Michigan will never hire a Hayes. And Texas will never hire a fucking Stoops. As we saw last night it just can't happen. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I'm all for second chances, especially when a guy rehabs himself and works his way back up the ladder, but there are some lines you just do not cross. FSU will never hire a Spurrier. Oklahoma will never hire a Brown. Michigan will never hire a Hayes. 

I agree with the 2nd chances part, but you have to earn the 2nd chance. Stoops hasn't.

I disagree with the "line you just do no cross." I personally was being recruited to UT eight years ago and, if it had been the right position, would've gone. Just in the OU-UT rivalry, Royal and Brown had OU ties. Schembechler worked under Hayes at Ohio St, twice!

People can separate fandom and professional opportunity.

• Fuck You 2

What a week for the Austin Westlake quarterback.

The 2022 four-star plays the game of his life in the state championship, propelling Westlake to back-to-back 6A-D1 titles, while playing injured.

Then he picks up a Texas A&M offer and re-offer from Steve Sarkisian and the UT staff.

What was UT’s message to you on Thursday?

“They loved my game,” said Klubnik. “Loved my leadership and the way I stepped up when battling injury.”

Yeah, about that. After Quinn Ewers battled injuries in the state showdown, Klubnik was nursing a shoulder injury from the week before.

“It happened on the first drive of the North Shore game,” Klubnik said. “I had to fight through it to get us to where we needed to be. I didn’t throw a ball during practice last week leading up to state. I couldn’t throw a ball five yards.”

That is impressive. And only adds to his allure.

“The A&M offer was awesome,” said Klubnik, whose parents both attended the school in College Station.

At this stage in his recruitment, I asked him what was most important in picking a future college program.

“Consistency of success in the football program, great academics, and somewhere I can grow as a person,” Klubnik stated.

Klubnik insisted he had no current leaders, but mentions Texas, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M as schools that stand out.

What is it about Coach Sarkisian’s offense that really gets him excited?

“He plays to win,” said Klubnik. "He loves to take shots and not play conservative. It’s nuts.”

Not playing conservative? We’ve seen that movie. This picture show already appears to be a better watch.

Klubnik currently doesn’t have a timeline for a commitment and wants to continue to build relationships with the programs pursuing him.

After the week he’s had, it’s time to sit back and soak it in.
  • Hook 'Em 5

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting