Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

53 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Think the only one with true "olympic speed" in this class is Brenen Thompson. Has consistently put up times below 10.4

Stewart's Olympic speed is in the 200M. Brenan has Olympic speed in the 100M.

(yes, there is more than one sprinting event in the Olympics).

It'd be nice for once if one of our players with olympic speed would actually showcase it in a game then I'd be ok with hearing it every game for 4 years.

Lam scored eight touchdowns of 45 yards or more in his career in the burnt orange. On the track, Jones scored 29 points during the 1977 SWC Championships and ran a 9.85 100 meters during the 1977 Texas Relays.

His 9.85 100 meter time was not accepted for record purposes, as the cable to the time clock had been “spiked” by a shoe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1978 huh?

Yeah, I know. Long time ago. Some things you never forget.  In my mind, he stands alone.

Johnny won an Olympic Gold Medal at age 18, before he played for UT.  I cannot remember what other Olympic Gold Medalists played college football as a medalist at UT, or any other place. 

While many are characterized with “Olympic Speed”, Johnny is one of the few college football players, if not the only one, with an Olympic Gold Medal to prove it.

IIRC, when he practiced for the 220/200 in high school, he would run down the football field, sling around the goal post, and run back. 

Great speed? Okay. Olympic Speed? “... they know not of what they speak...”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB says Guilbeau is probably going to decommit

He was a good take to set the floor. Now both the LSU safeties have left/or leaving. Plus the emergence of more corners and the switch in defensive philosophies. He was a good fit with Ash's hybrid NB/LB role, but that role is no longer needed.

It is interesting because supposedly the kid loves UT and already has Thomas there from his HS

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

You cast aspersions at David Aaron, you cast aspersions at all of Surly, sir!

Also, John Burt did do it once against Notre Dame on national tv. It reminded me of Robin Williams making a similar play in The Best of Times. Burt might have also done the same against Okie State, so he granted your wish twice, yet here you are, ungrateful and entitled. He’s probably reading this and almost getting mad and doing something, then fading from his keyboard again, generally indifferent. 

Ya, John Burt showed sprinter speed and lobster hands. Three or four times he blew by his guy and Shane Beuchelle dropped it into the basket perfectly, he only caught one and I think it was on his third try. 

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Clearly it takes 120 yards for him to hit top speed. 

The average explosive passing play is about 35 yards. That's about 32 meters. Most 200M sprinters do not get anywhere near their top speed in 32 meters (average 100M sprinter does in 35M and 200M sprinters in 55M). Yes, a good 200M sprinter has amazing top speed, but it rarely translates to speed that is functional on the football field. The speed at which an athlete "gets off the blocks" and their initial 10M burst is the most important for a WR/RB because it is what determines whether they can get initial separation/make people miss. I understand the snarkiness and I understand that having a good 200M time means he's very fast. However, most top speeds for distances above 100M don't translate to football because you are rarely going in a straight line and you are rarely running for over 30M. 

If you want to argue that Becton can make him more explosive and that his early acceleration can be improved by improvement to technique, form, and conditioning, I'm all for it. The 200M time itself is not the hill to die on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This sounds exactly like Tyrone Swoopes' impact at Whitewright his senior year. I remember covering the transformation on Shaggy. He put that team on his back, completed damned near every pass that season, and carried them the whole year. 

Just imagine how much more he would've put the team on his back had he played his correct position, TE, and had a QB throw him the ball.

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

So this Coleman guy might actually be able to recruit after all? 

He might, but it's probably an easy recruit. Texts WR recruits with a link to the National Championship Game and say "you too can be number 6 in our new offense."

20 minutes ago, Octavian said:

The average explosive passing play is about 35 yards. That's about 32 meters. Most 200M sprinters do not get anywhere near their top speed in 32 meters (average 100M sprinter does in 35M and 200M sprinters in 55M). Yes, a good 200M sprinter has amazing top speed, but it rarely translates to speed that is functional on the football field. The speed at which an athlete "gets off the blocks" and their initial 10M burst is the most important for a WR/RB because it is what determines whether they can get initial separation/make people miss. I understand the snarkiness and I understand that having a good 200M time means he's very fast. However, most top speeds for distances above 100M don't translate to football because you are rarely going in a straight line and you are rarely running for over 30M. 

If you want to argue that Becton can make him more explosive and that his early acceleration can be improved by improvement to technique, form, and conditioning, I'm all for it. The 200M time itself is not the hill to die on.

I was really just pointing out that a 10.7 (sophomore) 100M time doesn't disqualify him from having Olympic Speed, when you see his 21.08 200M. 

He's clearly fast. His 10.7 100M would have been 7th in the 2019 6A Finals (behind Boling and Tyler Owens).

Who knows if that translates to on-the-field success, wearing pads? 

Devon Achane, btw, was probably a better 200M than 100M in high school, too.

Edited by Hornlover
ctj said it better and called you a fucknut to boot!
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Listen, fucknut, you showed up with the argument that Evan Stewart did not possess Olympic speed. Others countered with two points - 1) going off of times from a sophomore track season that ended abruptly before it really got going isn't actually indicative of the potential capability of Stewart from a track speed perspective now and 2) he's actually focused on an event that doesn't have football implications but may, in fact, have Olympic speed in that event. You ignored both rebuttals in an effort to trudge forward with irrelevant stupidity.

Everything you've offered since your original shitty take has evidenced an immature inability to simply offer a mea culpa that you were wrong with your original snark and move on. 

Congrats though. You've managed to spike the thread away from the impending glory of Stewart committing to Texas because he's a bad ass football player and redirected things into a discussion about Olympic speed and boring track shit. 

I think I see why he follows you around negging you in every post- even innocuous shit. Clearly, this is something to be massively concerned with.  I think one of my favorite things on this site is discovering for the first time existence of a feud that’s been going on for however long. Love it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Octavian said:

Man I really wish there was like video or something of him playing in football games so that there was a way for us to judge how well his speed translates. Guess we'll just never know

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think I see why he follows you around negging you in every post- even innocuous shit. Clearly, this is something to be massively concerned with.  I think one of my favorite things on this site is discovering for the first time existence of a feud that’s been going on for however long. Love it. 

I negged him once last week for a bad take on something, so he' freaked out, apparently, and he's been following me around on the board negging legitimate recruiting and football discussions, including me going after the okie for his weak logic as well.

Then the dipshit shows up with the bad track takes here, so I negged him a couple of times. He then, this morning, sends me a PM saying "You got a problem?" Uhhh, yeah, I do now.  I didn't notice the handle before, but yeah, now you've got my attention. It's always strange to me when a new poster decides I'm the poster with whom they're going to fuck with and talk shit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Why would any prospect still committed choose to decommit from an upgraded staff? Jay Valai doing work. Watch him visit Houston first. 

Did Sark reaffirm his offer and make him feel fuzzy, or did he for some reason tell him something different?

IT

Spoiler

Stewart says he knows where he’s headed:
The 6-foot-0, 175-pound blur with 9.5-inch hands and long arms was leaning to Alabama and Texas at different points during the season. The Crimson Tide were trending slightly during the last half of the 2020 season, which made Texas' hire of Steve Sarkisian impactful in this recruitment.

Add Jeff Banks, his lead recruiter from Alabama, joining Sarkisian and the Longhorns have built a solid position in recent weeks.

When I was by Stewart’s school two weeks ago, Oregon was the sneaky third school under consideration.

Just how big of a recruit is Stewart for Sarkisian and staff? Well, Stewart and Brenen Thompson were the first two receivers in a loaded in-state 2022 class that Sarkisian targeted when hired. Now add in just how special of an athlete Stewart is with track, which is also a serious consideration of his at the next level.

In The Colony Cougar Invitational last March, Stewart set personal records in the long jump at 24’6, triple jump at 47’9 and 200m at 21.08. He posted a personal record of 10.74 in the 100m the week prior at the Lovejoy Invitational. This is a prospect with special athletic ability and the football skill to match. We are talking about a prospect that will likely long jump 25’, triple jump 49’, run a 10.5 100m and likely a 20.9 200m this spring.

Stewart’s mom was an All-SEC track performer at Tennessee, where Stewart grew up until 6th grade. Stewart moved to Frisco from the Memphis area.

Stewart is also as popular as any 2022 prospect with other prospects in the DFW area in 2022, 2023 and 2024. Everyone knows and likes Evan Stewart. He’s a sharp kid with a great personality.

Needless to say this is a huge recruitment for Sarkisian, Banks and the Longhorns… and IT feels pretty good about the chances as of Monday.

Texas is all in on Bledsoe:
The Texas staff is absolutely all in on Bremond 2022 defensive lineman Jaray Bledsoe. Texas has FaceTimed with the 6-foot-4, 270-pounder with an extremely high ceiling, as has Jimbo Fisher and the Texas A&M staff. The pressure is on for the in-state powers to win the relationship battle with Alabama, LSU and Georgia all offering in the last 24 hours. When I was asked by Bobby Burton and a couple of college coaches about seeing Bledsoe in person last week, my answer was simple… Bledsoe looks like the defensive linemen that Nick Saban has won six national championships with in Tuscaloosa.

WR Caleb Burton, Del Valle (2022):
The five-star from down the road has taken notice of the burnt orange buzz. At 6-foot-1, 170 pounds, the well-rounded receiver and Ohio State pledge has always liked Texas.

“I talk to Coach (Andre) Coleman and Coach (Venric) Mark all the time,” said Burton, who has taken notice of the new-staff smell permeating from the Forty Acres.

After suffering a season-ending knee injury last year, he’s finally on the road back.

“I’m back to running,” said Burton. "I’m working on cutting and planting again. It’s been hard work, but I’m getting there.”

With 39 offers, it stands to reason that Texas maintains he’s a priority. While his good buddy Quinn Ewers is also committed to the Buckeyes, Burton is still listening to Texas' pitch.

I get the sense he’s solid to tOSU, but his relationship with Texas goes back years from visiting games and participating in a multitude of camps.

This 2022 class is moving fast. And with Evan Stewart buzz, Burton is paying close attention to UT’s stock. It’s rising.

• Hook 'Em 6

This is what TFB had to say on Guilbeau:

Spoiler

I’m hearing that 2022 Texas defensive back commit, Jaylon Guilbeau is considering opening things back up.

I am told that should this happening it isn’t a matter of Guilbeau not liking Texas or the new staff. It sounds like it would be more for a reset for Guilbeau to ensure that he fully recruited by the new staff, assuming they choose to do so.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Octavian said:

Think the only one with true "olympic speed" in this class is Brenen Thompson. Has consistently put up times below 10.4

1 hour ago, Octavian said:

Didn't realize a football field was 200M - I'll keep that in mind.

36 minutes ago, Octavian said:

The average explosive passing play is about 35 yards. That's about 32 meters. Most 200M sprinters do not get anywhere near their top speed in 32 meters (average 100M sprinter does in 35M and 200M sprinters in 55M).

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Octavian said:

Hell yeah baby!!! Let's get this train rolling!

19 hours ago, Octavian said:

Second play in his highlights from this season is really similar to the orbit motion play Sark loved to use with Devonta Smith:

http://www.hudl.com/v/2EpPNa

Lot of stuff in there that fits Sark's offense. Would be an awesome take.

As you can see above, I thin this is a great take and I do think Stewart is a bad ass football player.

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Listen, fucknut, you showed up with the argument that Evan Stewart did not possess Olympic speed. Others countered with two points - 1) going off of times from a sophomore track season that ended abruptly before it really got going isn't actually indicative of the potential capability of Stewart from a track speed perspective now and 2) he's actually focused on an event that doesn't have football implications but may, in fact, have Olympic speed in that event. You ignored both rebuttals in an effort to trudge forward with irrelevant stupidity.

Everything you've offered since your original shitty take has evidenced an immature inability to simply offer a mea culpa that you were wrong with your original snark and move on. 

Congrats though. You've managed to spike the thread away from the impending glory of Stewart committing to Texas because he's a bad ass football player and redirected things into a discussion about Olympic speed and boring track shit. 

Actually, I did not respond or push back on either of the two counter points that you brought up. In fact, I actually upvoted some. The one thing I pushed back on was the person who argued about top speed and when that is reached. From my two posts above, you can tell I think he's a great football player and that I am definitely onboard with the glory of him committing.

10 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I was really just pointing out that a 10.7 (sophomore) 100M time doesn't disqualify him from having Olympic Speed, when you see his 21.08 200M. 

He's clearly fast. His 10.7 100M would have been 7th in the 2019 6A Finals (behind Boling and Tyler Owens).

Who knows if that translates to on-the-field success, wearing pads? 

Devon Achane, btw, was probably a better 200M than 100M in high school, too.

Agree with you - and he definitely does play well in pads. Just was responding to the guy who was talking about top speed.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I negged him once last week for a bad take on something, so he' freaked out, apparently, and he's been following me around on the board negging legitimate recruiting and football discussions, including me going after the okie for his weak logic as well.

Then the dipshit shows up with the bad track takes here, so I negged him a couple of times. He then, this morning, sends me a PM saying "You got a problem?" Uhhh, yeah, I do now.  I didn't notice the handle before, but yeah, now you've got my attention. It's always strange to me when a new poster decides I'm the poster with whom they're going to fuck with and talk shit. 

LOL. I didn't freak out. I've seen you post and you seem to always feel the need to put people down and I don't appreciate that. I do appreciate the information you bring to the board, the camaraderie you sometimes have and your general I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude. However, whenever someone disagrees with you, you decide it's the end of the world and feel the need to be a tremendous asshole (like you are now). When someone called you out on it earlier, you said you were okay if people negged you for doing that. So I have been downvoting your posts where you are an asshole to people because you yourself said that's fine. If that hurts your fragile ego, then go ahead and start a feud lol. 

I think the post you're talking about is one where I said your take on players opting out for the NFL was pussying out was a bad take. I still think it's a bad take and I gave my reasons on the other thread.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Goodwin flew in games

At Ole Miss in 2012. Didn't even really try, but still outran like four defenders and then got yelled at by a marine from the back of the end zone.

https://twitter.com/Thttps://twitter.com/TexasFootball/status/1146850092823076864?s=20exasFootball/status/1146850092823076864?s=20https://twitter.com/TexasFootball/status/1146850092823076864?s=20

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

img.gif?width=980

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting