Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are some barriers to the English language that a Pasadena education will not allow me to surmount, I guess. 

We won't hold it against you. You could be on here defending the virtues of the OU football program like some other posters we know.

spacer.png

It’s pretty obvious the way we need it to fall this year. Top WRs are going to be the most likely to jump on board first with Sark, for obvious reasons. Then, we need Quinn to be swayed by the quality and quantity of weapons coming in this class. Then, it’s game on. Stewart is a huge step in the right direction. 

• Fuck You 1

TFB on Stewart and other things:

Spoiler

***For those of you who asked about a timeline for Evan Stewart’s announcement, I don’t have a date but I am told he has everything ready to go (you know what that means and no we weren’t involved with it).

Point is, it could happen anytime and I’d imagine it’ll be pretty soon.

***I’ve been talking to folks from around the country who are either coaches, trainers, 7v7 guys, etc. and one thing is very clear – Sark and his staff are very different than the previous staff.

They are extremely aggressive and they are very well liked and they are absolutely hitting the ground running.

No more of this, well let’s see how few offers we can make. If they like a kid, they offer him. It’s getting the attention of a lot of people. Earlier today, I spoke with someone close to Raleek Brown who shared a few interesting insights which I’ll post later.

***Players began winter workouts yesterday. I spoke with a source inside the building about it. Nothing particularly interesting to report. That’ll change soon, though.

***Also, stopped by to see 2022 LB, Justin Medlock (Manvel, TX). He mentioned that the previous Texas staff was one of the four schools recruiting him the hardest. He has yet to connect with the new staff but I imagine that is because the LB coaches were the last to be added.

***Also, stopped by to see 2022 QB Conner Weigman. He has begun speaking with coach Milwee but says they haven’t offered just yet. It would appear Sark wants to see what he can do about changing Texas’ fate with Quinn Ewers or landing Klubnik.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB on Stewart and other things:

Hide contents

***For those of you who asked about a timeline for Evan Stewart’s announcement, I don’t have a date but I am told he has everything ready to go (you know what that means and no we weren’t involved with it).

Point is, it could happen anytime and I’d imagine it’ll be pretty soon.

***I’ve been talking to folks from around the country who are either coaches, trainers, 7v7 guys, etc. and one thing is very clear – Sark and his staff are very different than the previous staff.

They are extremely aggressive and they are very well liked and they are absolutely hitting the ground running.

No more of this, well let’s see how few offers we can make. If they like a kid, they offer him. It’s getting the attention of a lot of people. Earlier today, I spoke with someone close to Raleek Brown who shared a few interesting insights which I’ll post later.

***Players began winter workouts yesterday. I spoke with a source inside the building about it. Nothing particularly interesting to report. That’ll change soon, though.

***Also, stopped by to see 2021 LB, Justin Medlock (Manvel, TX). He mentioned that the previous Texas staff was one of the four schools recruiting him the hardest. He has yet to connect with the new staff but I imagine that is because the LB coaches were the last to be added.

***Also, stopped by to see 2022 QB Conner Weigman. He has begun speaking with coach Milwee but says they haven’t offered just yet. It would appear Sark wants to see what he can do about changing Texas’ fate with Quinn Ewers or landing Klubnik.

Sark prioritzing the two more pro-style guys is hardly surprising. Has to make Card feel good (Thompson made some killer throws in the Alamo Bowl, of course).

Just now, Machinator said:

TFB on Guilbeau:

Hide contents

Touched base with Super K who wanted to update you all on 2022 defensive back Jaylon Guilbeau following his post from this morning…

***K tells me that Guilbeau has spoken to Sark and Terry Joseph today and they seemed to have deescalated the situation and Guilbeau will stay committed.

Excellent. 

Hey Gary...

you-dont-love-Anna-now-we-dont-know-what

Ari Wasserman @ The Athletic on Sark and West Coast Recruiting

I don’t care if the Texas coach has inroads for talent on Mars, the No. 1 objective when you are the head coach of the Longhorns is to build that program on the backs of the most elite prospects in the state of Texas. Keeping kids home at Texas is a much different proposition than keeping prospects home at most other jobs given the size of the state, how many other Power 5 programs are located in the state and how many national brands attack the state, but there is still enough talent in Texas to make the Longhorns a legit national title contender without ever having to seriously branch out.

Keep this in mind: In the 2022 class in the 247Sports Composite, there are 33 players in the state of Texas who rank in the top 225 nationally. So even if Texas converts on only 35 percent of those players — which I think is a reasonable proposition with the right staff — that is a decent chunk of a 25-man recruiting class. Obviously, that’s easier said than done.

Full:

Spoiler

Will the West Coast be a priority for Steve Sarkisian? Recruiting Mailbag

GettyImages-1180699969-1024x683.jpg
By Ari Wasserman 5h ago comment-icon.png 24 save-icon.png

Recruiting never stops. Neither do your questions. Let’s get to it.

(Note: Submitted questions have been edited for clarity and length.)

Where do you think Steve Sarkisian and Texas will target in recruiting. He has a lot of West Coast roots along with the new defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski, so do you think they will target that area more than Texas or try to keep their hometown kids in-state or maybe a combination of both? Thanks for doing this column. — Ryan M. 

I don’t care if the Texas coach has inroads for talent on Mars, the No. 1 objective when you are the head coach of the Longhorns is to build that program on the backs of the most elite prospects in the state of Texas. Keeping kids home at Texas is a much different proposition than keeping prospects home at most other jobs given the size of the state, how many other Power 5 programs are located in the state and how many national brands attack the state, but there is still enough talent in Texas to make the Longhorns a legit national title contender without ever having to seriously branch out.

Keep this in mind: In the 2022 class in the 247Sports Composite, there are 33 players in the state of Texas who rank in the top 225 nationally. So even if Texas converts on only 35 percent of those players — which I think is a reasonable proposition with the right staff — that is a decent chunk of a 25-man recruiting class. Obviously, that’s easier said than done. Sarkisian is coming in during a time when Ohio State already has commitments from two of the top four players in Texas in five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers of Southlake (Texas) Carroll and five-star receiver Caleb Burton of Del Valle (Texas) High, both top 15 players nationally. And yes, Ohio State, Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech and everyone else are attacking the state. But with the right staff at Texas? This is still a Longhorns state.

Sarkisian used to be the head coach at USC, and Kwiatkowski spent the last seven years at Washington, which means he heavily recruited the West Coast, so I’m sure the Longhorns will do everything they can to grab some top prospects out of Southern California away from Pac-12 schools. And Texas is a national brand with a head coach who just got to show off his play-calling ability in the national title game, so I’m sure things will go well on that front. I don’t doubt that California will be a key part of Texas’ recruiting plan.

But for Texas to be the Texas it was under Mack Brown, Sarkisian knows he has to own the state to the best of his ability. That doesn’t mean signing everyone because Texas isn’t going to beat the big dogs of the sport in every head-to-head battle, but a relentless focus on recruiting this state is essential, even if the end result just means that Oklahoma and other Big 12 schools need to spend more time and resources recruiting the state of Texas. Remember, recruiting is all about time, and if Texas has an assistant in every high school in major metropolitan areas, that makes Oklahoma’s quest to land elite-level talent in Texas more difficult.

Texas is about Texas. And there is enough talent in Texas to prop up the program while making it harder for everyone else to recruit the state. It’s up to Sarkisian to emphasize, and, more importantly, capitalize on that.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB on Guilbeau:

Reveal hidden contents

Touched base with Super K who wanted to update you all on 2022 defensive back Jaylon Guilbeau following his post from this morning…

***K tells me that Guilbeau has spoken to Sark and Terry Joseph today and they seemed to have deescalated the situation and Guilbeau will stay committed.

Possibly related:

3 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I love the overuse of "I'm hearing..." from internet posters that clearly just read something on a different recruiting message board.

but what if you "personally know the kid and the people around him".  THAT HAS TO COUNT FOR SOMETHING

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting