Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Take all this fwiw, fellas. 

Kid out of Rockwall Heath is a stud at QB. Hoover. Art Briles saw him and said he’d be his first target behind Ewers. Briles knows QBs. And rape, of course. But he knows QBs. Not coincidentally the player’s first P5 offer, I believe, is Arkansas. 

Klubinek is a long strider. Great arm, long strider. 

Weigman is alright. Some folks that do this shit for a living see it Ewers, Hoover, Klub, Weigman in state in that order.  Don’t hate me, Westlake honks.

If no Ewers, might be a two QB class. Ewers flipping looks moderately unlikely but there’s no reason to be dismissive. 

Stewart is as media savvy as they come. When he does commit, it’s going to be because he thinks it’s the best moment for exposure. Texas looks good but this guy was Bama recently. 

It’s all hands on deck right now to keep guys from getting locked into ATM. 

No territories yet. Irrelevant until they can visit schools and talk to folks. 

They will sign a TE in this class. 

Min 4 OLs. 

Them pushing a lot of offers is picking up a lot of buzz. 

I’ll give some thoughts on the 2021 thread too. 

https://247sports.com/player/josh-hoover-46093827/

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Take all this fwiw, fellas. 

Kid out of Rockwall Heath is a stud at QB. Hoover. Art Briles saw him and said he’d be his first target behind Ewers. Briles knows QBs. And rape, of course. But he knows QBs. Not coincidentally the player’s first P5 offer, I believe, is Arkansas. 

Klubinek is a long strider. Great arm, long strider. 

Weigman is alright. Some folks that do this shit for a living see it Ewers, Hoover, Klub, Weigman in state in that order.  Don’t hate me, Westlake honks.

If no Ewers, might be a two QB class. Ewers flipping looks moderately unlikely but there’s no reason to be dismissive. 

Stewart is as media savvy as they come. When he does commit, it’s going to be because he thinks it’s the best moment for exposure. Texas looks good but this guy was Bama recently. 

It’s all hands on deck right now to keep guys from getting locked into ATM. 

No territories yet. Irrelevant until they can visit schools and talk to folks. 

They will sign a TE in this class. 

Min 4 OLs. 

Them pushing a lot of offers is picking up a lot of buzz. 

I’ll give some thoughts on the 2021 thread too. 

I saw both Rockwall and Rockwall-Heath play last year. The other Rockwall QB was getting a lot of hype last year (Locke is his name I think), but that was mostly due to JSN being on the team. Hoover was the real deal as a sophomore and is only getting better. I agree that he deserves to be in that top group.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Roach:

—Four-star Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei wide receiver C.J. Williams tweeted earlier this week about Texas. The tweet contained an edit the Texas staff sent along with the geotag in Austin. Was the elite prospect on a visit to the state of Texas? No. Williams said that he had been on FaceTime with the entire staff that day and liked the edit they sent him. Williams said the staff has been showing him a ton of love and he wants to get to Austin for a visit as soon as possible.

—I spoke to a high school recruiting coordinator who talked with Texas quarterbacks coach AJ Milwee today. We don’t know much about Milwee as a recruiter, so I was curious to hear this coach’s perspective. The two connected for a long conversation about this coach’s prospects and I’m told that the conversation was more than just an introductory thing. Milwee asked questions intended to carry out a thorough evaluation of his prospects. This coach mentioned that the prior staff didn’t communicate nearly as well and he was encouraged by this interaction.

—Speaking of Milwee, I’m told he also reached out to Cedar Hill High School today to look into 2023 quarterback Cedric Harden. Harden is next up after backing up Tennessee signee Kaidon Salter last year. Harden is such a promising prospect that Cedar Hill featured him in a few offensive packages this year to get him on the field. The 2023 quarterback class is going to be loaded with talent nationwide, but Harden will be a big name to keep an eye on.

—I still don’t have a great handle on the recruiting territories for assistants, but I’d bet Jeff Banks will be responsible for Dallas and the I-20 corridor in the southern part of the metroplex in particular. Coaches in Dallas rave about him, and it was his area prior when at UTEP and Texas A&M. One high school coach told me that Banks is one of the most relentless personalities he’s ever met no matter if it’s coaching or recruiting.

—I checked with sources tonight to see if there was any interest in Michigan running back transfer Zach Charbonnet. I was told Texas doesn’t feel that he’s a great fit and likely wouldn’t pursue him. Texas is looking at all options for the running back position, but there continues to be some growing confidence in ultimately landing LJ Johnson.

—Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry was re-offered by Texas today. Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood has been putting in a lot of work in his short time on campus, and I’m told that the interactions with Steve Sarkisian have impressed Dewberry and his family. There is still plenty of work to do in this race, but this is the first time in a while I’ve felt Texas has a legitimate shot in this recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wishbone said:

Fuck off Roach. Hope this staff makes it a goal to make him the last one to know anything. Shouldn’t take much effort.

Nothing better than a mouth breathing fat fuck thinking he’s the smartest guy in the room. He’s our Brauny. The two dipshits should hang out more often. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Okcool said:

Nothing better than a mouth breathing fat fuck thinking he’s the smartest guy in the room. He’s our Brauny. The two dipshits should hang out more often. 

Yikes. Roach's biggest faults appear to be that he is a shitty writer and that he is basically the polar opposite of the 995ers that make shit up in that he's so damn afraid of being wrong that he won't put in a prediction on someone until it's basically in the bag. I will note that he was the only one to attempt to tap the brakes on the Stewart thing, so its not bad to have someone like that around to balance things out. 

Edited by Dummy
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2021 at 11:55 AM, C-Man said:

My wife went there. She grew up in Dallas and has lived here most of her life other than 4-5 years in Clearwater Beach, FL after college. She had (edit: NO) intention on going to Clemson but they decided to visit because they were in SC. She (edit: got pounded), fell in love with the (edit: guy, who later dumped her), town, and the campus.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If Roach is such a great guy then why don’t Bobby, EJ, and Gerry still work at 247?  Seems like more than a coincidence to me.  

You think the part time newer guy ran off the two founders and the dipshit chaser that’s never paused to notice anyone else’s feelings? That ... seems stretchy to me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If Roach is such a great guy then why don’t Bobby, EJ, and Gerry still work at 247?  Seems like more than a coincidence to me.  

in a thread of bad opinions, this is somehow the worst.

no, seriously.

you forgot to log out of this account and into your "995ers-suck" sock

Edited by NoName

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You think the part time newer guy ran off the two founders and the dipshit chaser that’s never paused to notice anyone else’s feelings? That ... seems stretchy to me. 

Sounds to me that Roach might be the most intelligent and cunning 995er ever

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: New RB on the radar, Bear talking to Sark, notes from Wells

The Texas staff is moving at a frantic pace to try and close out the 2021 class filling as many needs as possible with a focus on the high school ranks first, and portal second. With that comes more names with NSD2 is right around the corner.

Sarkisian heading back to Alabama for a RB?
Texas is kicking the tires on offering Dothan High (AL) speedy and versatile running back Jaylin White. The near 5-foot-10, 185-pounder has had Ole Miss and Purdue as his most likely destinations, but that could change quickly with an offer from the Longhorns. Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton, Brandon Harris and Bryan Carrington have all been working on the info gathering and recruiting process with White with the staff having made contact with White and Dothan High head coach Smitty Grider on Wednesday. Florida has also been mentioned as a potential destination possibility in the last few days.

The Longhorns have also been in contact with Michigan transfer Zach Charbonnet, and the staff does see potential value in bringing in the 6-foot-1, 220-pounder.

Bear talking to Sark today:
Denton Ryan defensive tackle Bear Alexander is at the top of the DT wish list in-state in the 2022 class. The near 6-foot-4, 325-pounder with elite quickness and agility for his size to go with long arms and big hands had been in contact with Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis multiple times.

“He (Bo Davis) is making sure that I’m getting put in the best position possible (to succeed)," said Alexander. "He said that I’m definitely one of their guys, and how I fit at Texas.”

Texas will continue to prove how much Alexander is wanted in Austin with a call from Steve Sarkisian set up for 5pm today.

Notes from @Justin Wells:

DE Omari Abor, Duncanville (2022): The 6-foot-4, 240-pound four-star defensive end from DFW is dog on the field, as evidenced by his offer list. He holds 24 verbal invitations including Alabama, LSU, Georgia. But if you ask him, Ohio State, OU, and Texas stand out right now. Normally he's equally productive on the hardwood, but Abor tells IT he suffered an injury and will be out for an undisclosed amount of time. If one school has separated, it's the Buckeyes, who Abor hears the most from. But the new UT staff isn't holding back. They've made sure Abor knows he's a priority.

While I feel he's looking out-of-state right now, he mentions Texas being in-state does help its cause. He recognizes the strong academics and global network that the Longhorns hold and hopes to visit Austin after the NCAA dead period ends, which wouldn't happen until April 15th, at the earliest. This is a guy UT has to keep home. This is a prospect at a school Texas needs to constantly comb over the roster. He's listening.

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (CA) (2022): There was some buzz earlier in the week about the four-star from Cali being in Austin. While you'll can add any location to outgoing tweets, Williams was not at UT. But he still loved the attention. "Nah, I wasn't in Austin," said Williams. "I was on FaceTime with the new staff and they sent me that edit. I definitely want to get down to Austin ASAP though."

Texas will have to get in line. With 48 offers in tow, he's got his choice of any collegiate program in the nation. His familiarity with Sarkisian is a big help, however. He loves what he sees from Sark's offenses and his west coast connections. Texas will keep shooting its shot here.

WR Chris Marshall, Fort Bend Marshall (2022): One of the highest risers in the C/O 2022, the basketball star has shown those skills translate on the football field. In his first season playing on Friday nights, he tallied 1,009 yards receiving and 18 touchdowns. While he's still a three-star rated prospect, that will almost definitely change over the next year.

Texas sees Marshall as a premier talent. At 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, he holds 14 offers including LSU, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, and Texas A&M. While he likes what he's hearing from the new staff, the Aggies might hold the early lead. That will not deter Andre Coleman and the Horns. He's a guy they want and will continue to pursue.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Recruiting Matters: New RB on the radar, Bear talking to Sark, notes from Wells

I'm easy. I love a RB with a hand towel hanging off the back of his pants.  Goes right along with a helmet visor and a rolled jersey.

Take

Such

Spoiler

Not much meat on this update but I had reached out to Spearman speedster Brenen Thompson the other day to see if he had a couple minutes for an update. About 24 hours later I got the following response:

"Texas is booming!"

Gonna need you all to dissect this one for me, but doesn't seem like it can be a bad thing. Thompson is ranked No. 27 in the Rivals100 and has the type of elite speed that could thrive in a Steve Sarkisian offense. He has a top 12 consisting of Texas, Texas A&M, Clemson, Nebraska, Auburn, Texas Tech, Stanford, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Oregon and Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hope the optimism surrounding Abor increases a bit. Of the few pass rushers in-state whose highlights I've glanced at, his are the only that get me hot and bothered.

siap and obviously random internet "insider" but someone on tOSU board Eleven Warriors posted this a couple days ago:

I'm teammates and track relay partners with Stewart, he's going to texas lol. He filmed his commitment video after practice yesterday.

and 2) he only does all the tik tok stuff because he makes bank off it. I'll almost certainly bet that had nothing to do with earning an offer or not. It's easy for me to defend him but I'd easily say there are a lot of elite high school football prospects out there who love the game a lot less than him!

• Hook 'Em 8

7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Hope the optimism surrounding Abor increases a bit. Of the few pass rushers in-state whose highlights I've glanced at, his are the only that get me hot and bothered.

Things change, but here are some quotes his dad recently gave to OU 247

I have talked with him and his dad over the last few months (mostly his father Barr), and you get the sense that Oklahoma is the leader with Abor, but Ohio State is right on OU heels at the moment. Abor's father even told me as much saying, "OU is closest and coach Jamar Cain does a really good job recruiting Omari," Abor's father stated. "We are all big OU fans. Not much for Texas at all. Just what we chose. Kind of funny being from Texas, but he really likes Ohio State and coach Johnson. They have recruited him really hard."

The fandom of the Sooners and the fact I don't see Texas being a player for Abor at the moment, has me picking the Sooners in my Way Too Early ChampU22 predictions. Still, Ohio State is a team to watch. Also, Abor's father did talk with me about their thoughts on the new Texas coaching hires, saying, "The new Texas hires were cool and interesting. We will listen," Mr. Abor said. "But we aren't there with them right now and not really Texas fans." All it takes is them listening to the new Texas staff and all that could change, as well.

I still like my crystal ball for Abor to OU. Things are still moving in a very positive direction with Oklahoma and the Abor family. If Coach Cain can capitalize on them being big Sooners fans, this one could end up in the Sooners favor. It's only January but OU is my 'way too early' for Abor.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Lots of good stuff from TFB ...

Hide contents

***Sark knows he can develop a quarterback. Now, he needs elite weapons. Not just some nice three or even four star wide receivers but some real dudes. And as an offensive guy, it seems he has immediately turned his attention to this position group.

***As you know, earlier this week Evan Stewart announced he had shut things down only to delete the tweet a day or two later. No big deal in my opinion. I’m told Stewart was asked to slow things down a bit by folks around him. As of right now though, I just see this as a delay.

***You want speed? Stewart has it for days and Sark knows it.

***As Charlie noted yesterday, I’ve been in touch with Mater Dei WR, CJ Williams who also happens to be the teammate of Sark’s son. He is very excited to get down to Austin for a visit.

***Emerging 2022 WR, Chris Marshall (Fort Bend Marshall) is a high priority target for Texas. Only ranked a three star right now but as his offer list grows, that will change. I’m told Texas would like to get him in the boat as soon as possible.

***The Tyreek Hill of this class is another Mater Dei offensive weapon in Raleek Brown. Folks around Brown told me that Sark has already been in touch with them and in fact, Sark just spoke with Raleek the day before yesterday.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see CJ and Raleek make a visit to Austin in the near future.

***Also, just so you understand what kind of speed you’re dealing with in someone like Raleek Brown, I’ll give you some times. As a freshman, Brown ran a 4.3 at OU’s camp. On the second run, Lincoln Riley personally timed the run and got him at around the same time. For comparison, Hollywood Brown ran upper 4.3s at OU.

OU is all over Brown

I'm hoping for Winfield, Stewart, Thompson, and Marshall, with Brown as a RB/WR hybrid type like

Marshall might be tough to pull from A&M

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

OU is all over Brown

I'm hoping for Winfield, Stewart, Thompson, and Marshall, with Brown as a RB/WR hybrid type like

Marshall might be tough to pull from A&M

Are we undervaluing the fact that Sark’s son is on the team with these guys? I mean that’s daily info and a gray area of impermissible contact. I love it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Mike Roach: Terrance Brooks still high on Longhorns following re-offer

Terrance Brooks was one of the 2022 prospects to be re-offered by the new Texas coaching staff. The four-star defensive back from Plano (Texas) John Paul II was a major target for Chris Ash under Tom Herman’s staff, and that hasn’t changed with Steve Sarkisian. Brooks said he’s looking forward to getting to know this new staff and seeing what they can do. “It feels good to be re-offered,” he said. “It’s exciting to build the relationship with them.”

Terry Joseph is the coach who reached out to Brooks. The Texas defensive backs coach offered him at Notre Dame, and Brooks feels he has a legit resume as someone he can learn from. “I’ve been in contact with coach Joseph,” Brooks said. “We have a good relationship. He sees a lot of potential in me. He seems legit in his coaching and establishing a skill set on his players.”

Brooks was high on Texas previously. His relationship with Tom Herman and Chris Ash was developing into something strong, but he said he’s more than willing to give the new staff a fair shot. “I built a good relationship with coach Herman and coach Ash,” he said. “I look forward to continue building a relationship with coach Joseph as well as getting to know the entire UT staff.”

Brooks’ recruitment took off last spring, and he now holds nearly 30 offers. A long list of programs stick out as those recruiting him the hardest at the moment. “OU, Notre Dame, TCU, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, SMU and a few others,” he said. Brooks doesn’t have an exact timeline for when he wants to make a decision, but he’d like to get it out of the way before his senior year. “I plan on making my decision by the end of the summer,” he said.

At 6-feet, 185 pounds, Brooks is ranked as the No. 29 cornerback in the nation and No. 37 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Hahaha.  Do you really think I give a fuck about Mike Roach and what kind of person he is?

you care SOOOO little about him that you literally make shit up (pushing out founders + a guy he was friends with in EJ?), post it on the internet, and then say "i don't care about him"

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

(Bobby Burton) Thursday: What are the coaches doing

I’m told the new Longhorn staff is settling into a bit of a routine. The mornings are reserved for football. In the afternoon, the focus of the staff turns to recruiting. On both offense and defense, the coaches are beginning installation of basic and core packages to the coaching staff. It’s important for each assistant to grasp exactly what it is the leaders of each side of the ball (Sarkisian and Kwiatkowski) are going to be running and teaching when spring ball starts.

In recruiting, we continue to see Texas make up for lost time on the recruiting trail. Multiple new scholarship offers for the class of 2022 have gone out in the last week, with new ones coming every day, and coaches also trying to establish and build relationships with multiple players. None of this should come as a surprise. But I feel like it’s interesting how Sarkisian has largely decided to split the work day into two parts. It shows a strong emphasis on recruiting in the off-season and is something that Nick Saban also does with his staff.

I’m told there continues to be discussions around scholarship numbers by position within the staff room. Suffice to say, Sarkisian and multiple coaches are unhappy, not with the talent on the roster but with the number of scholarships allotted to each position. For example, there are more scholarship receivers on campus than there are offensive linemen or defensive linemen. It’s one of the reasons why we’ve seen Texas push for more DLs early in the coaching transition.

Even with transfer running back Eric Gray off to Oklahoma, do not be surprised if Texas attempts to sign another transfer at RB for depth purposes. I’m not sure how many people caught Gerry Hamilton’s comment yesterday about Texas having interest in Michigan transfer Zach Charbonnet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Lots of good stuff from TFB ...

Hide contents

***The Tyreek Hill of this class is another Mater Dei offensive weapon in Raleek Brown. Folks around Brown told me that Sark has already been in touch with them and in fact, Sark just spoke with Raleek the day before yesterday.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47kbj56ihhd97w22ztz4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the WR positions, it's becoming very obvious that there is about to be a purge there. I don't know if Harrison ever actually puts on pads at Texas. Maybe Kennedy Lewis will put the bong down for a minute this spring and attempt to compete, but I doubt it.

Herman's handling of WR from the beginning to the end should be pursued as a crime against humanity and prosecuted before high council at The Hague.

Yup. I think they at first thought they had too many, then realized most were flawed players. Now they are trying to swap out most. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the WR positions, it's becoming very obvious that there is about to be a purge there. I don't know if Harrison ever actually puts on pads at Texas. Maybe Kennedy Lewis will put the bong down for a minute this spring and attempt to compete, but I doubt it.

Herman's handling of WR from the beginning to the end should be pursued as a crime against humanity and prosecuted before high council at The Hague.

Processing WRs right now doesn't really create room because they won't reach the 85 even with a full class, so the only reason to do it would be to just have fewer WRs in the room. I'd keep them around for emergency depth, but they'll probably start leaving the program from natural depth chart over the next year 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the WR positions, it's becoming very obvious that there is about to be a purge there.

Was Omeire's camp breakout real? He's as Tom Herman a receiver as they come. Curious if Sark has developed an opinion yet and whether we should expect/want him to stick around. 

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Was Omeire's camp breakout real? He's as Tom Herman a receiver as they come. Curious if Sark has developed an opinion yet and whether we should expect/want him to stick around. 

If I remember correctly literally everyone was drooling over this dude when he stepped onto the field and caught everything thrown in his direction.bid say the hype is real and Sark is gonna take him to the next level. 

I'm not saying he's Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Mike Evans all rolled into one, but I'm saying it. /s

But seriously, he's gonna be a good one. I think he's actually the real deal. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

"Texas is booming" might just be a troll...  

Brennen is from Panhandle

West TX = Oil

"Texas is booming" could be referring to next oil boom out west with the closure or Tar Sands, and Keystone XL.

Derail recruiting thread in 3....2....1....

Am I doing this right? ORRR should I just mention 200m track times lol

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting