Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry on Drew Hughes

Hide contents

Inside Texas has learned Drew Hughes, who is still waiting to be cleared by the University’s compliance department to become Steve Sarkisian’s director of player personnel for the Longhorns, is now receiving interest for a similar role at Arkansas.

“Just heard (the Texas) AD won’t budge,” an industry insider told IT today. “Interesting how one school can take him and the other can’t.”

We are told nothing is official at this point and do not know if Hughes would even be interested in the role at Arkansas. Hughes was formerly the director of player personnel at South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, NC State and Central Florida.

CDC...come on man

Gerry on Drew Hughes
Spoiler

Inside Texas has learned Drew Hughes, who is still waiting to be cleared by the University’s compliance department to become Steve Sarkisian’s director of player personnel for the Longhorns, is now receiving interest for a similar role at Arkansas.
“Just heard (the Texas) AD won’t budge,” an industry insider told IT today. “Interesting how one school can take him and the other can’t.”
We are told nothing is official at this point and do not know if Hughes would even be interested in the role at Arkansas. Hughes was formerly the director of player personnel at South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, NC State and Central Florida.

The paraphrase this, Gerry can confirm that Drew Hughes does, in fact, have an agent with a pulse.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry on Drew Hughes

Hide contents

what part of "all gas and no brakes" is CDC not getting

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

My friends at Bama are emphatic that they do not cheat. It's not even something we discuss at this point because their heads are planted firmly up their assholes on that front. 

There are folks on here familiar with the Trey Sanders recruitment that had pretty good data at the time in regard to how they handled that one because the dad ran it. When that happens, schools should try to get creative. Trent Richardson's dad was given a phantom roofing contract when Bama signed him.

One of the things that any school can figure out is how to give money to the street agents. The "trainers" and 7x7 coaches and the like. That shit is as old as most of these recruits now. When Lupoi bought Waddle, Slick Willie or one of his running buddies, can't remember, picked up $80k.

That didn't prevent ATM from making a run at Waddle on signing day for significantly more than that, but to no avail.  To answer the inevitable question that pops up frequently on this board following that kind of info, what prevents most of these guys from flipping somewhere for more money at the last minute is that they want to get paid for the next guy too. Letting a kid flip for more money is bad for business. Georgia took Pickens from Auburn on signing day for something like doubling the price or some shit. I guess that guy wound up saying, "fuck it, I'll just never work with the staff at Auburn again." Can't do that more than once, I'd imagine. 

You want to see who is serious about dropping dollars right now? Watch who wins the battles tomorrow for the highest remaining guys. ATM has locked up several of them already. Another fun test will be to watch that To'o To'o fuck from Tennessee. He auctioned himself the first time and is part of the Tennessee cheating shit, and he's looking to get paid again. If USC wants him, they're going to have to outhustle Bama for him. 

I read an article - it's been several years and I don't recall where - that named the Red Elephant Club at Bama as a never-ending source of funds for "improvements" to the program.  

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

My friends at Bama are emphatic that they do not cheat. It's not even something we discuss at this point because their heads are planted firmly up their assholes on that front. 

There are folks on here familiar with the Trey Sanders recruitment that had pretty good data at the time in regard to how they handled that one because the dad ran it. When that happens, schools should try to get creative. Trent Richardson's dad was given a phantom roofing contract when Bama signed him.

One of the things that any school can figure out is how to give money to the street agents. The "trainers" and 7x7 coaches and the like. That shit is as old as most of these recruits now. When Lupoi bought Waddle, Slick Willie or one of his running buddies, can't remember, picked up $80k.

That didn't prevent ATM from making a run at Waddle on signing day for significantly more than that, but to no avail.  To answer the inevitable question that pops up frequently on this board following that kind of info, what prevents most of these guys from flipping somewhere for more money at the last minute is that they want to get paid for the next guy too. Letting a kid flip for more money is bad for business. Georgia took Pickens from Auburn on signing day for something like doubling the price or some shit. I guess that guy wound up saying, "fuck it, I'll just never work with the staff at Auburn again." Can't do that more than once, I'd imagine. 

You want to see who is serious about dropping dollars right now? Watch who wins the battles tomorrow for the highest remaining guys. ATM has locked up several of them already. Another fun test will be to watch that To'o To'o fuck from Tennessee. He auctioned himself the first time and is part of the Tennessee cheating shit, and he's looking to get paid again. If USC wants him, they're going to have to outhustle Bama for him. 

I read an article several years ago - don't recall where - that named the Red Elephant (booster) Club at Bama as a never-ending source of funds for "improvements" to the football program.

7 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I read an article several years ago - don't recall where - that named the Red Elephant (booster) Club at Bama as a never-ending source of funds for "improvements" to the football program.

You made a post, made a different post, then double posted the first post?

That's fucking impressive.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, maninblack said:

He's been underwhelming since being hired

Why, because he didn't get Urban back into the college game? Because he won't sign off on hiring a single support staff candidate?

Criticize him for the above if you want but there are many other aspects to his job and CDC has been performing very well (imo) in those. Football gamedays, for example, are infinitely more fun after CDC's pregame initiatives got implemented.

Granted, it sounds like boosters aren't too happy with him however I'm not sure the majority of that animosity isn't linked to my first sentence.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, rvm96 said:

With one RB spot being taken in the class, I was wondering whats the opinion on Jones? IIRC he wasn't included in IT's top 75 that was recently released. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Tavorus-Jones-46101298/

Yep. He and Miller would be my other two that I would like to accompany Blue. 

25 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Why, because he didn't get Urban back into the college game? Because he won't sign off on hiring a single support staff candidate?

Criticize him for the above if you want but there are many other aspects to his job and CDC has been performing very well (imo) in those. Football gamedays, for example, are infinitely more fun after CDC's pregame initiatives got implemented.

Granted, it sounds like boosters aren't too happy with him however I'm not sure the majority of that animosity isn't linked to my first sentence.

He’s been an impediment more than a facilitator every step of the process. If you’ve been following this thread and the coaching one, you’ve been given plenty of examples. This is just the latest in a long string of unnecessary eye rolling bullshit. This guy signed off on Mike Stoops multiple times despite being directly told No by the guys writing the checks. But yeah, he’s been just aces. 

The gameday stuff is great, however. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You don’t want to have this conversation here, I promise you.

26 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Dude, what? He doesn't have top end speed, let's compare him to Bijan "the freak" Robinson. 

Why don't you sit this one out at your Golden Corral, Ketch. 

Blue does have top-end speed (sub-11s 100m as a freshman) and Bijan does not, so that is an odd comp in a lot of ways.

Neither is a traditional power back though.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Blue does have top-end speed (sub-11s 100m as a freshman) and Bijan does not is the weird part of that.

Between this and the dalvin cook shit I saw Burt quote in the 2021 thread I’m waiting for this motherfucker to show up and insist that Earl Campbell was a scat back to complete the hat trick of fucking wrong for the evening. The trophy is a bust of HtownHorn. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Between this and the dalvin cook shit I saw Burt quote in the 2021 thread I’m waiting for this motherfucker to show up and insist that Earl Campbell was a scat back to complete the hat trick of fucking wrong for the evening. The trophy is a bust of HtownHorn. 

Aww, look at you caring about my posts. That's adorable from someone who says they don't care. Why don't you go back to 69-ing with your boyfriend and worry less about what I say. 

1 hour ago, Dijon Robinson said:

I would add the vote of confidence for Herman that was released that was at best mystifying. Weakest vote of confidence that required a follow up phone call clarification with reporters. Terrible optics no matter whose side you are on. 

if rumors are believed, it was released against the recommendation of higher ups. Another example of ham handedness. 

Edited by mantis toboggan
  • Hook 'Em 2

image.jpeg.629cac6c69aaf3de4592b6d9ce739dd3.jpeg

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: More background on Blue, 22 running back class

Spoiler

Mike at Night: More background on Blue, 22 running back class

MikeRoach

— The Jaydon Blue commitment decision came together somewhat quickly, but in reality, it's been months in the making. In fact, Brandon Harris hinted at it when he tweeted this a few days ago.

Around the time Quinn Ewers committed last summer, we received word that Blue was a big part of recruiting him to Texas. Blue has been doing some behind the scenes recruiting for a while. In fact, for those who think this had anything to do with LJ Johnson's recruitment, we learned last fall that Blue was part of recruiting Johnson to Texas. As you've seen, it's been tough to recruit behind Bijan Robinson, and the staff wants guys who want to compete as they anticipate filling up the room with big time talent. Blue showed that mentality right off the bat and you saw Stan Drayton and Brandon Harris acknowledge that with some tweets today.

— Obviously, this is a massive acquisition for Texas. Out of the '21 and '22 cycles, I felt Blue was the best running back in the state of Texas. I love his blend of athletic tools and production. When you watch him on film, his balance and ability to be a pinball against contact mixed with one-cut quickness and homerun speed. He's also a pretty strong route runner and pass catcher. Blue is also going to be a magnetic recruiter capable of getting a few other guys to listen more to the pitch Texas is giving.

— The Longhorns have secured their top target at the position one full year before they put the lid on the 2022 class. They can now choose to be extremely picky when it comes to who the second take is. I've been told that they love this class and all of the possibilities, but they want to make sure they maximize their spots to build the strongest roster possible. I would bet that Stan Drayton and Brandon Harris take their time evaluating who that second take will be.

— I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I'm hearing increasing positive chatter around Texas and Maalik Murphy. I've also heard that Murphy could be leaning toward making a decision sooner rather than later. Our guys out west are as tapped in as anyone out there and I'm checking with sources as well to see how accurate the rumors are.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Some of this is fair, but Stoops.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm waiting on Imma or Jesus Christ himself to show up and insist that people start using the ignore feature.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting